Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Walnut-less Whip Scam!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sabre0001 wrote: »
    te6um.jpg

Hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Ah FFS so that's what it was. I got a pack of these recently and was majorly pissed off that none of them had walnuts on them. I didn't even deck at that stage that they weren't walnut whips. It's surely sneaky but also tough **** on you and me. The walnut and the base are/were the two best bits.

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

ah come on now
    one glance at that box would tell you there was no walnut involved.
    its pretty obvious. . there is no mention of walnuts anywhere and the pic clearly shows it walnut free.

there is no scam.

ah come on now
    its pretty obvious. . there is no mention of walnuts anywhere and the pic clearly shows it walnut free.

there is no scam.

It's not a scam, but in fairness when I'm doing the groceries I don't be looking in detail at the box of products I've been buying for years because I expect them to be the same as the last time.

If I bought a box of frosties and on the box it just called them kellogs flakes in the same style with the same layout and picture minus the sugar on the flakes it would be a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

GingerLily wrote: »
    Are walnut whips still available?

Yeh, they are in Dealz, 3 for €1.49

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 870 ✭✭✭cbreeze

The old-fashioned proper walnut whip not only had a walnut on the top but there was one at the bottom under the filling too, plus the chocolate was piped to form the cone, not just a mould.:eek:

WW3 unless WW is restored to its rightful place in the sweet shop

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

cbreeze wrote: »
    The old-fashioned proper walnut whip not only had a walnut on the top but there was one at the bottom under the filling too, plus the chocolate was piped to form the cone, not just a mould.:eek:

WW3 unless WW is restored to its rightful place in the sweet shop

Actual walnut versions are still made. Lack of demand and hence purchase are why they are extremely rarely seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭heroics

L1011 wrote: »
    Actual walnut versions are still made. Lack of demand and hence purchase are why they are extremely rarely seen.

I think it was more to do with cost of walnuts. One of the links nestle said one was eaten every 2 seconds in UK alone

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jayop wrote: »
    It's not a scam, but in fairness when I'm doing the groceries I don't be looking in detail at the box of products I've been buying for years because I expect them to be the same as the last time.

If I bought a box of frosties and on the box it just called them kellogs flakes in the same style with the same layout and picture minus the sugar on the flakes it would be a surprise.

If a box said Kellogg flakes, I'd be more inclined to assume they were cornflakes. Especially seeing as that's what frosties without the sugar are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

GreeBo wrote: »

Or perhaps a Cadbury Delight, now with no Turkish.

That would be a dairy milk!

• Advertisement

heroics wrote: »
    I think it was more to do with cost of walnuts. One of the links nestle said one was eaten every 2 seconds in UK alone

A guy from Nestle was on the BBC months ago and he said that their feedback from customers in the UK suggested that they didn't actually like the walnut and discarded it. He said sales increased when the walnut within the cone was done away with years back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

my3cents wrote: »
    Was there a clear warning on the box?

"May not contain nuts"

Looks to me like the nut is the one outside the box.... 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

A guy from Nestle was on the BBC months ago and he said that their feedback from customers in the UK suggested that they didn't actually like the walnut and discarded it. He said sales increased when the walnut within the cone was done away with years back.

The guy on the BBC was talking crap. This is part of the conversation I had with some mates over Christmas. You can't really talk about sales increasing when your customer base could rarely if ever find the original product in any stores. It was a rare treat to find a shop that stocked the original Walnut Whips so of course if they then flooded the market with a new promoted product then it was bound to sell more.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

The guy on the BBC was talking crap. This is part of the conversation I had with some mates over Christmas. You can't really talk about sales increasing when your customer base could rarely if ever find the original product in any stores. It was a rare treat to find a shop that stocked the original Walnut Whips so of course if they then flooded the market with a new promoted product then it was bound to sell more.

Lies, damned lies, and statistics

I have no idea what you're on about, to be honest. I'm sure your mates have the sales data to hand.

They are always in the shops here. I but several every week. As were all previous incarnations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭micks_address

deandean wrote: »
    I was shopping in my local SuperValu tonight and I grabbed a three- pack of walnut Whips so I thought. You know these are often on special offer.
    So I got home and opened one to have with my cup of tea. What's this? There was no walnut on top of it.
    Ok I thought maybe the Walnut machine missed one. Then I opened the other two and none of them have walnuts on top either.
    Then I look at the pack and it is a 'Nestle Whip'. It is the same pack as the Walnut Whip comes in but without the Walnut!
    I don't know what you think but I regard this as a complete scam.
    It is misrepresentation in its worst form.
    Any suggestions on how to escalate this? Should I return it to the retailer? Talk to Joe? Make a formal complaint to Nestle?
    439019.jpg

Jesus my wife would be delighted with these.. Always dumps the walnuts on me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

It looks a bit stupid without the walnut on top. Could they not have tapered it?

Good to hear there are still walnut versions available though. Thought they were being done away with altogether.

I have no idea what you're on about, to be honest. I'm sure your mates have the sales data to hand.

They are always in the shops here. I but several every week. As were all previous incarnations.

I'm talking UK shops and UK mates that now live in Ireland, the problem in the UK was you couldn't find them very often in the shops but if they were shipping them all to Ireland that explains it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Just to say, if you want to try alternatives, Marks & Spencers do a nice 3 box of Whalnut Whip-like treats, the walnut is replaced by a selection of chocolates and I think, half a brazil nut..

If a box said Kellogg flakes, I'd be more inclined to assume they were cornflakes. Especially seeing as that's what frosties without the sugar are.

Not if big Tony was on the box Guy. You'd have been totally hoodwinked.

Not if big Tony was on the box Guy. You'd have been totally hoodwinked.

What about a similar looking but different cat? Cos those aren't walnut whips in the pic above.

• Advertisement

I'm talking UK shops and UK mates that now live in Ireland, the problem in the UK was you couldn't find them very often in the shops but if they were shipping them all to Ireland that explains it.

I'd be going with the guy from nestle over a few of your mates tbh.

I'd be going with the guy from nestle over a few of your mates tbh.

So you' believe a company rep selling chocolates telling you how much people like his chocolates :confused:

I always had trouble finding them in the shops and it you found somewhere that had them one week then chances were they'd sell out and not have anymore in stock for ages.

They were a treat simply because of their rarity.

What about a similar looking but different cat? Cos those aren't walnut whips in the pic above.

Exactly the same cat but with a slightly different nose?

Exactly the same cat but with a slightly different nose?

What about Same body, different Head?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Virtanen

I just noticed the OP opened the box from the end, when there was a perforated flap on the front

Says it all, really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭deandean

Virtanen wrote: »
    I just noticed the OP opened the box from the end, when there was a perforated flap on the front

Says it all, really

Yeah, I've taken to opening boxes in unorthodox ways since watching 'Manhunt: Unabomber' on Netflix :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

For you nut lovers, Lidl (Grange road anyway) have six packs of the walnut whip for 2.49 at the moment, they may be in other lidl's too.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

ah come on now

there is no scam.

The most obvious thing to me is the reason they deliberately did not make it obvious that there is no nut on it.
    daisyos1 wrote: »
    To be fair that is very deceiving. They should at least change the colour of the box or something.
    Exactly, the other types had different colours.

I don't eat the things but always associate it with blue. A red box would have made it stand out as different. They knew fine well people would buy them in error, there is no way this was an oversight by a presumably large marketing team.

Nestl%C3%A9-Whip-range-Cropped.jpg?crop=0,0,1280,720&ext=.jpg&width=648&s=ie-802304

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

I don't think it's a big conspiracy, but you'd be forgiven for thinking that it is.

For the past few years, confectionery manufacturers have been engaged in a race to replace ingredients with cost-saving equivalents, shrink sizes (sometimes with the excuse that they're trying to make us healthier!) and raise prices.

Of all those, I'm ok with the price rises. It's transparent, and is easier to trace back to increasing costs.

The other measures are generally implemented in such a way so as to be in compliance with the law, but unnoticed by the consumer. Perfectly legal, but underhand. They've gotten complacent because they know people will continue to buy regardless.

The only way to be heard is to stop buying it. When I see a bar manufactured by the big players, my first thought is "Hmm, smaller than they used to be, and probably doesn't taste as good".

Advertisement