Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow showers - Thursday to Saturday morning (18th - 20th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

rain in Kilkenny City 4c

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Irishsneachta

Snow getting down to low levels across the NW now

• Registered Users Posts: 23,670 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Not bad for the northwest later tonight, parts of inland Munster.

The land track probably too long for Dublin.

18011906_2_1812.gif

We'd need the very outside chance of that trough in the northwest being just a little further south. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

There has been no snow reported by any Met Éireann stations so far today, except for one (erroneous) report from Finner at 1 pm. Knock has had sleet showers up to now but it's just now on the brink of being cold enough for snow from now on. The high stations in the North also reported rain all day but have now turned to snow in the past hour as wbt comes down close to zero.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Not bad for the northwest later tonight, parts of inland Munster.

The land track probably too long for Dublin.

18011906_2_1812.gif

We'd need the very outside chance of that trough in the northwest being just a little further south. :D

Just a little bit further south and i'd be more confident of some lying snow here but the shower intensity just isn't there today either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭Rebelbrowser

There has been no snow reported by any Met Éireann stations so far today, except for one (erroneous) report from Finner at 1 pm. Knock has had sleet showers up to now but it's just now on the brink of being cold enough for snow from now on. The high stations in the North also reported rain all day but have now turned to snow in the past hour as wbt comes down close to zero.

Cork reporting snow now and 1 degree

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

No, it's sleet in both the metars and synop. The Met ie site reports Recent Snow for synop code 26, even when it's been only sleet. I'd expect snow at 8 pm though as the wbt is now 0.0.

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Soccarboy11

cork airport? Basically right next to that and its been dry for a while :(

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

Where in Cork is the snow?

• Advertisement

Very light sleet/wet snow mix here now.

Snowing in Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Cork city suburbs (blackrock) 2°c as per car, surface wet, no precipitation of any kind.

The car did get a splattering of salt from a corporation truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,127 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Nothing but cold in dublin no snow again me thinks

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Nothing but cold in dublin no snow again me thinks

Unlikely to be snow through most of the eastern half of the country. The Showers are dying back towards the west coast and even there the intensity is weakening. Still a few big showers around Galway, Mayo, Kerry and Cork. Leinster may see some showers tomorrow during daylight hours but most likely sleety rain by that stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,941 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Temp hovering close to zero now in Cork.
    Roads are really saturated so widespread ice is very much a reality as the night goes on.....

Shower activity will pick up in the wee hours and push east across the Northern half of the country in particular. Heavy sometimes prolonged snow showers in the North West.

lots of showers on radar heading for cork city but I note no one here saying its snowing in nw Cork........😶

lots of showers on radar heading for cork city but I note no one here saying its snowing in nw Cork........��

theres frost on the cars alright, or its starting to form on the roof at least. Snow gods please.

EDIT: And as I say that it is sleeting.

There was evidence of a frost forming on the cars here but the melted snow that just fell washed it off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Cork city, 1°c , and rain... lots of rain

mikeecho wrote: »
    Cork city, 1°c , and rain... lots of rain

I reckon there will be slushy snow on cars and grass when we wake in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

lots of showers on radar heading for cork city but I note no one here saying its snowing in nw Cork........😶

Only rain here near mallow anyway. Not expecting anything and hope it doesn't freeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Today around 4 pm and its mostly hail.

Not me in the video and i would recommend muting it.

Impressive though.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Sh30nFO3d44

• Registered Users Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭typhoony

dew points must be poor if I'm getting rain with a temps of +1c.

roads could be dangerous by morning

Cars totally frozen here in cork, can't tell the temperture but must be in the - figures. Road is wet too so expecting some dangerous conditions tomorrow

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

4.2C here on the coast near Tralee , wintry showers with a mix of hail, sleet, graupel and rain.

temp_uk_cmz4.png

• Registered Users Posts: 21,911 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Cars totally frozen here in cork, can't tell the temperture but must be in the - figures. Road is wet too so expecting some dangerous conditions tomorrow

Same here in Portlaoise , it's like a skating rink outside at the minute :(

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

I'd love to see a satellite of Ireland over the last few days. I'm in Waterford and we miss the snow all the time. I was driving yesterday morning from a height and could see where the snow line stopped in South KilKenny.
    Does anyone have I site I could access this? Also. What are our chanced of seeing snow over the next few days down this south?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,948 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Daffodil.d wrote: »
    I'd love to see a satellite of Ireland over the last few days. I'm in Waterford and we miss the snow all the time. I was driving yesterday morning from a height and could see where the snow line stopped in South KilKenny.
    Does anyone have I site I could access this? Also. What are our chanced of seeing snow over the next few days down this south?

Here you go :)

https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov/

17-01-18

isC8P7A.jpg

Advertisement