Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleet and snow showers - Thursday to Saturday morning (18th - 20th)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭pauldry

Snowing in Sligo

Very wet stuff though

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Didn't get any snow in the midlands, kind of disappointing considering we should get the most snow based on all factors. I suppose that was our last chance of the winter? temperatures seem to be going up next week to my annoyance.....

Cars whitening now though this is the most borderline snow ever. Snowline must be 100m

Wheres the hail gone?

Literally lamppost watching...something I never did before you guys suggested it.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

pauldry wrote: »
    Cars whitening now though this is the most borderline snow ever. Snowline must be 100m

Wheres the hail gone?

Literally lamppost watching...something I never did before you guys suggested it.
    you're starting to make me incredibly jealous with all of your snow talk. haven't seen a flake here, why must we be so unlucky all the time?

Well its stopped already.

Wev seen more this year than many years

V lucky

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

Well the BBC forecast, on just now, is talking about a trough feature in the early hours, possibly leading to prolonged snow showers, so perhaps a few more people further inland will have a dusting of snow tomorrow morning when they wake up.
    Then on friday night a rain band moves in from the south west, but it looks to be snow for high ground in the south east(Wicklow Mountains) only.
    After that i can't summon the energy to talk about- lets just hope the models do a flip to a colder outlook(beasterly cold) within the next 11 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Didn't get any snow in the midlands, kind of disappointing considering we should get the most snow based on all factors. I suppose that was our last chance of the winter? temperatures seem to be going up next week to my annoyance.....

There's almost 6 weeks of winter left to go... I suspect you will get plenty more chances to see snow. What County are you in?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,748 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Dusting of snow here on the hills in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Reiketsu

Lovely moderate snow shower here in County Derry. Dry snow. Ground was frozen solid so a nice base for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

A polar low formed here perhaps? (polar low of the mesoscale variety as opposed to the tabloid variety)

lFudYMt.png

500 hPa temps in the area would support the idea.

1d3zn86.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Any guidance on what the north west can expect over the next few hours to afternoon? More snow fell in the early hours after a partial thaw yesterday (yes, I got out to the dentist...side note - Ow-eeee :( ) There's about an inch, maybe more, on the ground that thawed completely yesterday (driveway car tracks etc), bigger accumulations elsewhere. But details on possible scenarios right now seem hard to come by...like is there more big cold clouds coming in over NW? Is the temp right for them to fall as snow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Everything frozen over here in Galway, decent fall of graupel/snow mix here now has turned the place white. Commute should be fun on untreated roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Currently snowing here and sticking

130m asl
    North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border

Edit: 7.20 am has stopped snowing. Ground lightly covered. Interestingly ground temperatures -0.05 and rising but ground not frozen. Little or no wind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,466 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Some heavy bursts of snow likely in higher parts of Donegal and Derry, moving towards Antrim, up to 5 cm locally. Mixed wintry showers closer to sea level in these counties.

Otherwise snow becoming a little less widespread for the rest of today, and increasingly confined to higher terrain. Some may return with passage of a slow-moving frontal trough tonight, once again more likely above 250m in west Munster and other parts of the south later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Snowing in suncroft Co kildare at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 973 ✭✭✭mallards

Snowing heavily near the Wicklow gap. Ground is white.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,962 ✭✭✭randomname2005

Everything frozen over here in Galway, decent fall of graupel/snow mix here now has turned the place white. Commute should be fun on untreated roads...

It looked like there were a few minor accidents on the M6 heading into Galway this morning. Hopefully all okay.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Jaycornyn

Plenty of snow here in Leitrim. Its snowing in that picture, hard to see. Light snow atm. Heavy snow at about six this morning.

Not sure how to embed that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,841 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

Heavy snow shower and sticking-Roscrea (0.8C dew -0.7C)

Light dusting during the night

Seven Worlds will Collide

• Registered Users Posts: 4,685 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Also snowing in south Sligo - there's a light dusting now.

90m asl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

moderate snow shower in Kilkenny City 1c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭George Sunsnow

Snowing here near Arklow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Completely white here in SW Donegal, treacherous driving conditions, a few cms of hail has fallen. Thunder and Lightining accompanying it

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Started snowing again. Sky has that grey leaden cast to it that doesn't appear to be changing. Temperature 0.5c. Little or no wind.

North Cork / Limerick Tipperary border.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,035 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Pangea wrote: »
    Completely white here in SW Donegal, treacherous driving conditions, a few cms of hail has fallen. Thunder and Lightining accompanying it

Some people have all the fun

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

We're going to rename Kermit de Frog to Jon Snow......."winter is coming"!!
    Showers on & off all morning. 3cms snow on car roof. S Sligo 152mtr asl.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭littlema

That was a bad picture of snow falling. Try this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

Couple from here after sunrise. I do like an oul snow day :)

Edit - it's been pointed out that I think I'm in February. It's the pain meds, forgive me!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭Macy0161

No snow when I left Roundwood at 6.50, got text's from home at 9 that they were having breakfast looking out at snow at 9! Should've had a lie on... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 The Dench

Quick opinion wanted please :

Two young nephews, 4 & 5, haven't experienced a snow event in their youthful lives.

Was thinking of bringing them up the Dublin mountains on Sunday - Lough Tay towards Sally Gap area.

What is the likelihood of there being any snow left in the area given that the forecast for late Saturday and Sunday is for a thaw to set in.

Thanks.

The Dench

Advertisement