Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

D&D Act Two Scene III - Adventures in the Desert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Byrwin:
    Banjo wrote: »
    Othegre takes a good look at the terrain around her, looking for vantage points, holes, bushes, trees, flamethrowers etc. Before she goes and does something stupid.
    There is a tower nearby that is sort of collapsed. It may be possible to climb it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Fourier wrote: »
    Borbois Mansion:

"Just lie in wait here. When the hero appears threaten us, offer him a chance to play the role of the dashing adventurer."

Some hours pass...

Flak wakes from his slumber in the hall.

Back at the bridge the Billy Goats are getting impatient.

"Kal old boy I think you have the role down pat, just waiting on that hero. Gerald when do you have to head back?"

"Not until nine" he answers.

'Who exactly is this hero? And why is he taking so long?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Byrwin:

There is a tower nearby that is sort of collapsed. It may be possible to climb it.

How close? Attacking range?

Borbois Mansion:
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    'Who exactly is this hero? And why is he taking so long?'
    Franklin sips another milky coffee and flips his scarf back around his neck.

"The magic chap out there in the halls. there was a roguish sort earlier, that could have added a romance angle if we could get Angela in on it, but well he seems to have vanished.

No worries though, a dragon adds a pure adventure element."

Byrwin:
    How close? Attacking range?
    Othegre estimates that only the nearest scorpion might have a chance at reaching her if she runs for the tower.

Byrwin:

Othegre estimates that only the nearest scorpion might have a chance at reaching her if she runs for the tower.

Ooc : Not my safety I'm worried about.
    Those poor scorpions.... >:)

Just so's I get a picture : There's a dilapidated tower, a fence, 6 scorpions and a keep. And me with 4 skeletons (Who I'm naming Boney M, Boney O, Boney Prince Charlie and Boney Langford) and a Zombie. So where are we in relation to eachother? Also, given there's a fence, and fences aren't infinite, I presume the fence can be followed around to the back of the keep?

I have a sling, all questions about range are in relation to how far I can sling a bullet.
    So, for example, am I near enough that I could fire a bullet over the scorpion so that it when it impacts on the earth (or anything else) it's drawing his attention away from the area through which I'll be clanking, to buy myself a couple of seconds?
    Also, just because they can't reach me in time, will running to the tower put me in the other scorpions' field of view?
    And if they see me running across, does that put my undead in their field of view?

How far away are they all from the top of the tower? How tall is the tower? How tall are they (specifically how high can they reach with their claws?)

And basically, if there's scope to distract the one that's closest to me, then run up to the tower without drawing down the wrath on my scurvy crew, then that's what I'll do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,663 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Borbois Mansion:

Franklin sips another milky coffee and flips his scarf back around his neck.

"The magic chap out there in the halls. there was a roguish sort earlier, that could have added a romance angle if we could get Angela in on it, but well he seems to have vanished.

No worries though, a dragon adds a pure adventure element."

'Oh. Ehhhhhhh and what are you planning to do to the hero when he arrives? I just shout at him and that's it?'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yawns, stretches, eats some breakfast, memorises some spells.

OOC: Spells of the Day
    Continual Light Lvl 2
    Web Lvl 2
    Shield Lvl 1
    Magic Missile Lvl 1

Godspell: Clairvoyance Lvl 3

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Byrwin:
    And basically, if there's scope to distract the one that's closest to me, then run up to the tower without drawing down the wrath on my scurvy crew, then that's what I'll do.
    Othegre slings a stone toward the nearest scorpion and it and the five others dive at the sound.

In the commotion Othegre gets to the tower.

OOC: Check STR to climb, unless you're doing something else.

Byrwin:
    Othegre climbs a few feet and slips and halts in midair.

• Advertisement

Byrwin:

Othegre slings a stone toward the nearest scorpion and it and the five others dive at the sound.

In the commotion Othegre gets to the tower.

OOC: Check STR to climb, unless you're doing something else.

I effectively weigh nothing.....

OOC: Failed climb rolls still mean you fall, weird but there you go. You don't get hurt.

OOC: Failed climb rolls still mean you fall, weird but there you go. You don't get hurt.

I can't fall unless I want to. It one of the few good things about this ****ty class. It's int the rules.
    I don't want to fall.

Byrwin:
    Othegre climbs a few feet and slips.

The scorpions immediately turn, arc their tails and charge in her direction shaking the ground.

OOC: Init!

Othegre turns, surprised momentarily at how fickle the physics of this miserable plane are, but it does sort of reinforce the point about how unnatural all of this really is and how she must ever strive to return it to it's true state.

"Lads will you keep it down? You'll wake him up!"

OOC: Change made

OOC: Change made

No need. Just forces my hand a little earlier than expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Flak returns to the room with the lord to play the game.
    "Deal yer cards."

OOC: Is this lad human or spectral? Do I observe anything unusual or unnatural about him or in the room?
    EDIT: Please don't be a game of Gwent, I've never been able to play that. :(

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Byrwin:
    OOC: Starting with Othegre today.

Othegre hangs in midair next to the tower masonry, the scorpions snap at her below.

OOC : Not very talkative are they? So I'm out of reach?

Othegre eyes up the scorpions looking for the biggest one, she takes aim with her sling and lets loose, hissing :
    "You! Clawdia Snipper! Will you keep it down! You're ruining the surprise! Also, don't freak out, I know you hunt by vibrations in the ground, but I assure you I'm definitely here, you are not having a psychotic break. Or are you? You ever notice how your mate is always hanging around with that other Scorpion who's pincers are bigger than yours? I bet he clamps down in ways you never could, and when he stings, she squeals. She never squeals for you does she? Doesn't even care enough to pretend. Your life is a lie! You should kill him and her, and then kill yourself!"

OOC : If I'm out of reach and playing the cuckold card doesn't work on overgrown arachnids I'm going to 1d4 them to death until they **** off or start listening to reason. I have 200 bullets and bad aim, they have a lot of HP. Got anything else planned for the afternoon?

edit. rolled a 7 . 199 bullets and bad aim :D Is there a range bonus/penalty?

If you want me to roll the 199 and count the hits (13 for them, isn't it?) and then roll the damage I can. If they're willing to talk about this, let me know

Edit 2: If flailing at them to get their attention is feasible without putting myself in harms way, why then I can do that instead. 1d6+1 will be a quicker and more merciful for them, me and you :D

"seriously, you can't eat me, and unless you have about 18 thousand GP hidden under you carapace this is a complete waste of my time."

(rolled 12)

"...and I've a terrible feeling I'm going to feel compelled to pick all these stones back up afterwards. It's upsetting to think about them mixing with the random misshapen stones of the desert floor...."

(rolled 3)

"...Is one of you slightly smarter then the other 5? None of you exactly look like you've written any prize winning scrolls recently but you're making Dwayne here look like Mordenkainen.... Sorry, Dwayne, I didn't mean it that way..."

(rolled 7)

"...seriously you are the smartest rock I've ever met. And I mean look how many are in the bag here, I've met plenty.... Don't say tha- YOU TAKE THAT BACK! Take it back or I'll..I'll..... I will! I bloody will!"
    Othegre loads Dwayne in the sling
    "TAKE.......IT......BACK!"
    He doesn't.

rolled 16! Hit?

(I've done 200 rolls, damage rolls for the 80-odd hits assuming 13+ is a hit, but every single one is getting dialogue because I am damned if I will be ignored by these chitinous bullies!)

• Advertisement

Byrwin:
    After being pelted by over forty stones one of the scorpions turns to the others.

"This is actually more annoying than is worth the effort. We can get an easier meal."

They scuttle off.

Ooc : wait, do you want the damage rolls? I might have killed one! I want to hollow him out and use his shell as a disguise to get my boney crew to the keep!

"Yeah, you better run!" She calls after them, drifting down to pick Dwayne up and nuzzling him. "Good job, partner!"

She takes a look at the tower for a means of access and then back at the scorpions to see if they're still blocking her from accessing the keep

"....course there's a door......no, that would be a dolmen. This is a tower. I spent 2 decades reading books while you were lying on the floor waiting to be tripped over by destiny, give me some credit! There's a door, keep looking."

Byrwin:
    "Yeah, you better run!" She calls after them, drifting down to pick Dwayne up and nuzzling him. "Good job, partner!"

She takes a look at the tower for a means of access and then back at the scorpions to see if they're still blocking her from accessing the keep

"....course there's a door......no, that would be a dolmen. This is a tower. I spent 2 decades reading books while you were lying on the floor waiting to be tripped over by destiny, give me some credit! There's a door, keep looking."
    The scorpions have vacated the keep entirely. The tower has a collapsed roof which provides access to its upper stairway.

Othegre calls over her funky bunch.
    "Ok guys, this won't make a lot of sense to you but this tower has caused me a lot of existential stress and I need to show it who's boss. I'm climbing up there. Any of you any good at climbing, show of bones? I'll go up, make sure it's stable, then we're all going up.

Simon, how high up do you reckon that roof is? I might quickly run back to town and loot the general store for a couple of ropes and a grapple. Help the lads out."

Ooc : does this tower have any visible join to the keep or is it entirely separate?

Othegre calls over her funky bunch.
    "Ok guys, this won't make a lot of sense to you but this tower has caused me a lot of existential stress and I need to show it who's boss. I'm climbing up there. Any of you any good at climbing, show of bones? I'll go up, make sure it's stable, then we're all going up.

Simon, how high up do you reckon that roof is? I might quickly run back to town and loot the general store for a couple of ropes and a grapple. Help the lads out."

Ooc : does this tower have any visible join to the keep or is it entirely separate?
    "I'd say about 8.78 meters Othegre" guesses Simon.

The undead climb and fall multiple times, but eventually make it up considering how there is little tissue to damage in a fall of this height.

They all stand on the roof of the tower, two flights down it connects in with the rest of the keep.

"Langford, prince, take point!
    M, O, rearguard
    Nomnom, you're with me!"

Othegre checks for the environs for traps and if there's nothing else of interest she'll cautiously proceed down those flights.

• Advertisement

Othegre enters a corridor about 200' long with stuff monsters, animals and free peoples of multiple types. A stuffed elf in combat with a stuffed troll. A fox snarling at a halfling. Some gnomes playing a flute.

At the very end of the corridor is a large door.

"Langford, gently poke each one of those animals in the eye, wait 10s and move to the next. If no one moves, bring me the flute."

Othegre keeps checking for traps n doors.

Various poisons and gases are shot out of the mouths of some of the animals as Langford hits them in the eye. However being undead he is unaffected. He picks up the flute and hands it to Othegre.

"here, nomnom, cover all of the holes with your fingers, point it at the door and blow into this"
    Nomnom is the zombie. And Boney Langford is female.

The flute makes a awkward "pfffft" sound and nothing happens.

• Advertisement

Othegre checks the humanoids for utility clothing. Back packs, boots, weapons to equip the team with. She also tries to remember if any of the recipes in the witches book use bits of ogre, fox, gnome etc.

Othegre checks the humanoids for utility clothing. Back packs, boots, weapons to equip the team with. She also tries to remember if any of the recipes in the witches book use bits of ogre, fox, gnome etc.
    She finds several ingrediants that match the recipies in the Witch's book.

OOC: Whenever you return to her cauldron and we can go through making them.

Pocketing the flute, Othegre approaches the door in formation.
    She visually inspects it for traps or any signs of weird magicky stuff with her magical engineering diploma.

If nothing is apparent, Langford is to try to open it while everyone stands back and to the side.

The door opens up and a torrent of toxic gas passes into the hall. None are affected.

Inside is a nicely decorated room with portraits of the necromancers and vivimancer. The necromancers hold each others hands, a man and a woman. The vivimancer is female.

In the center of the room are two statues with horrified looks on their face and a chest that lightly glows.

The door opens up and a torrent of toxic gas passes into the hall. None are affected.

Inside is a nicely decorated room with portraits of the necromancers and vivimancer. The necromancers hold each others hands, a man and a woman. The vivimancer is female.

In the center of the room are two statues with horrified looks on their face and a chest that lightly glows.

Othegre takes a look at the portraits, see if she recognises anyone.

".....yeah Dwayne, that *is* what she said. Simon, what do you think?"

".....yeah Dwayne, that *is* what she said. Simon, what do you think?"
    "I'd have to agree with Dwayne here."

"so if her mother 'didnt have the gift'..."
    Ooc i take it I don't recognise Granny Danger in the portraits. would othegre know from the picture that she's a vivimancer and would she know what a vivimancer is generally?

"so if her mother 'didnt have the gift'..."
    Ooc i take it I don't recognise Granny Danger in the portraits. would othegre know from the picture that she's a vivimancer and would she know what a vivimancer is generally?
    The portrait has vivisected corpses of various beast behind it, as well as vials and potion tubes.

OOC: This would suggest vivimancer to most in the world.

The granny is not in the photographs or anybody who looks like, aside from the male necromancer, they have similar eyes.

The tubes give Othegre the creeps but she's not entirely sure why yet.

"....oh muddles. We forgot to dig the grave up in the back garden to make sure he was dead. And there's two more. Is it too late to go back out and ring the doorbell, see if anyone answers? Oh look, we're here now."

Othegre studies the statues, noting which way they're looking, arm position, any signs they've moved since she last looked at them.

"Simon, what do you reckon? Evil statues or evil chest? Both?"

"I'd assume both Othegre, always best."

The statues have not moved.

• Advertisement

Hey, lucky Langford. Approach that chest, be a dear.

Langford solidifies into stone when he gets within 1' of the chest.

Not so lucky any more, my boney Chum. Hey Dwayne, you single? Not anymore baby!

....yeah, probably but it's a little early for those kinds of shenanigans. Let's keep looking. We know how to get back here. Unless it exploded, like everything else I touch.

Othegre looks for exits.

BTW, what do the petrified people look like?

There are two normal enough looking doors, one to the East and one to the West.

M replaces Langford up front, they move towards the east door looking for traps, secrets and whatnot. If nothing apparent, M will attempt to open the door

Othegre enters a small laboratory with a long dead skeleton lying on top of empty potion vials and with a scroll in each hand. Oddly the room is nicely decorated with red curtains and a decent view of the desert in better weather.

Othegre knocks politely on the open door

"hi! May we come in?"

If there's no answer, M will lead the way in. Othegre is Checking all the way and taking a good look at the lab equipment

If nothing happens, M is to nudge the skeleton, look behind the curtains, take the scrolls.

Some sort of spell activates on M when the scrolls are grabbed, but she seems unaffected by it.

A door North is the only way out.

Some sort of spell activates on M when the scrolls are grabbed, but she seems unaffected by it.

A door North is the only way out.

Ooc : you're getting the genders wrong on purpose now :)

M unfurls the scrolls for Othegre to look at. O and Prince are instructed to take the curtains down.

If that goes well, O and Prince are to move the skeleton and take a look at the vials and their storage? Is it portable and if not could it be dragged along if placed on the curtains?

• Advertisement

The vials are scattered about the desk, but they could be stored in a box near the curtains. A single skeleton would be able to carry them.

Advertisement