Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

D&D Act Two Scene III - Adventures in the Desert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,558 ✭✭✭✭Fourier

Borbois mansion:
    Mollyb60 wrote: »
    Kal floats up a few feet in the air. 'Good to meet you sirs, I am Kal the Dragon, a visitor to this house. I am thoroughly enjoying my visit so far. I'm killing time while my friend in the corridor rests up. What is happening here?'
    "Wonderful, a proper monster has found its way here, you see my good man we are elements of an attempt at instantiating certain 'folk norms'" he intones making quote marks with his hooves "ergo the prototypical bridge...."

One of the other goats rolls his eyes, "Franklin I think we don't need so much of the theory".

"Well Gerald perhaps our friend here would like to hear" he sips his coffee "but in the interest of expediency let me say we need a monster under the bridge who threatens to eat us as we pass over, interested in said role?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

"Bonytastic! Hey, #6. Quit shirking and get up! 6? 6?? Fine, sleep it off. Ok guys, here's the plan. Everyone shuffle to the left 2 steps, pretend to claw at an imaginary pair of curtains. Then shuffle right - oh no! More curtains! And a one, a two, a one two thre--oh wait, the sex cannibal talisman. Forgot. OK, Team Othegre.... HO!"
    she skips off towards the keep on the edge of town, occasionally stopping and gesturing to her new entourage to catch up.

(edit : if there's an appreciable speed difference between Skellies and Zombie, she'll have noticed by the time you post! Please let me know)

Old Roads:
    I stand to the side and slowly push the door open, positioning the dwarves either side with their weapons at the ready. If nothing comes out, I will enter slowly, leaving a dwarf to watch the rear
    The door is quite stiff, but moves aside with enough force.

Inside is what appears to have been some sort of communal eating area with a hearth. More warped Dwarven skeletons lie within, as well as a skeleton of a type Moy does not recognise, almost goblinoid, but not quite. Yerlar kneels and lightly feels the bone, insuring to place a glove on his hand.

"It feels like a mineral, but...." he trails off.

"Ay, but there is no stone song" continues Gommod, the sturdiest of the fighters.

In the hearth something glimmers.

A set of stairs lead up, in addition a door to the South is slightly ajar from which Moy feels a presence that makes him uneasy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Fourier wrote: »
    Old Roads:

The door is quite stiff, but moves aside with enough force.

Inside is what appears to have been some sort of communal eating area with a hearth. More warped Dwarven skeletons lie within, as well as a skeleton of a type Moy does not recognise, almost goblinoid, but not quite. Yerlar kneels and lightly feels the bone, insuring to place a glove on his hand.

"It feels like a mineral, but...." he trails off.

"Ay, but there is no stone song" continues Gommod, the sturdiest of the fighters.

In the hearth something glimmers.

A set of stairs lead up, in addition a door to the South is slightly ajar from which Moy feels a presence that makes him uneasy.

"There's something beyond that door, I don't like the feeling I'm getting here, can ye see any heat within?"

I edge over and search the hearth for whatever glimmers within, pocket it and push open the southern door, dwarves following behind me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,631 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Borbois mansion:

"Wonderful, a proper monster has found its way here, you see my good man we are elements of an attempt at instantiating certain 'folk norms'" he intones making quote marks with his hooves "ergo the prototypical bridge...."

One of the other goats rolls his eyes, "Franklin I think we don't need so much of the theory".

"Well Gerald perhaps our friend here would like to hear" he sips his coffee "but in the interest of expediency let me say we need a monster under the bridge who threatens to eat us as we pass over, interested in said role?"

Kal puffs his chest out at being called a proper monster. 'I'm in no rush, I can help you gentlemen out for a little while. Would I have any lines?'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Flak mutters in his sleep as he dreams of using the magic of MageHand to kneed bread dough. He then rolls over, away from the door he'd been propped up against, then returns to a deep sleep.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Borbois Mansion:
    Kal puffs his chest out at being called a proper monster. 'I'm in no rush, I can help you gentlemen out for a little while. Would I have any lines?'
    "Just lie in wait here. When the hero appears threaten us, offer him a chance to play the role of the dashing adventurer."

Some hours pass...

Flak wakes from his slumber in the hall.

Back at the bridge the Billy Goats are getting impatient.

"Kal old boy I think you have the role down pat, just waiting on that hero. Gerald when do you have to head back?"

"Not until nine" he answers.

Byrwin:
    Banjo wrote: »
    she skips off towards the keep on the edge of town, occasionally stopping and gesturing to her new entourage to catch up.

(edit : if there's an appreciable speed difference between Skellies and Zombie, she'll have noticed by the time you post! Please let me know)
    OOC: Skeletons are twice as slow.

Othegre reaches the keep, which has a useless old rotted gate at the front as the only entrance.

Six giant scorpions roam nearby, but they have not noticed her yet.

Old Roads:
    "There's something beyond that door, I don't like the feeling I'm getting here, can ye see any heat within?"

I edge over and search the hearth for whatever glimmers within, pocket it and push open the southern door, dwarves following behind me
    OOC: Dex check

Byrwin:

OOC: Skeletons are twice as slow.

Othegre reaches the keep, which has a useless old rotted gate at the front as the only entrance.

Six giant scorpions roam nearby, but they have not noticed her yet.

"Six. They kept six giant scorpions on the edge of town. What is the point of a town having an edge if that's what's on the inside? This is nuts, Dwayne. I can't fight one of those things..... Those guys? Look at them, the can barely stand!.... No way! That's the kind of crap Bandlegs would pull and you have more legs than he used to. I don't have that kind of luck. I mean, look at me...... And what if you miss? Besides, do they have heads?..... Actually I like that one but I'm a Cleric today..... I have no idea but once I pray I can't seem to make any of that work.... Aw thanks buddy, it seems like an unfairly arbitrary distinction to me too but whatcha gonna do? Life is Life"

Othegre takes a good look at the terrain around her, looking for vantage points, holes, bushes, trees, flamethrowers etc. Before she goes and does something stupid.

• Advertisement

Byrwin:
    Othegre takes a good look at the terrain around her, looking for vantage points, holes, bushes, trees, flamethrowers etc. Before she goes and does something stupid.
    There is a tower nearby that is sort of collapsed. It may be possible to climb it.

Borbois Mansion:

"Just lie in wait here. When the hero appears threaten us, offer him a chance to play the role of the dashing adventurer."

Some hours pass...

Flak wakes from his slumber in the hall.

Back at the bridge the Billy Goats are getting impatient.

"Kal old boy I think you have the role down pat, just waiting on that hero. Gerald when do you have to head back?"

"Not until nine" he answers.

'Who exactly is this hero? And why is he taking so long?'

Byrwin:

There is a tower nearby that is sort of collapsed. It may be possible to climb it.

How close? Attacking range?

Borbois Mansion:
    'Who exactly is this hero? And why is he taking so long?'
    Franklin sips another milky coffee and flips his scarf back around his neck.

"The magic chap out there in the halls. there was a roguish sort earlier, that could have added a romance angle if we could get Angela in on it, but well he seems to have vanished.

No worries though, a dragon adds a pure adventure element."

Byrwin:
    How close? Attacking range?
    Othegre estimates that only the nearest scorpion might have a chance at reaching her if she runs for the tower.

Byrwin:

Othegre estimates that only the nearest scorpion might have a chance at reaching her if she runs for the tower.

Ooc : Not my safety I'm worried about.
    Those poor scorpions.... >:)

Just so's I get a picture : There's a dilapidated tower, a fence, 6 scorpions and a keep. And me with 4 skeletons (Who I'm naming Boney M, Boney O, Boney Prince Charlie and Boney Langford) and a Zombie. So where are we in relation to eachother? Also, given there's a fence, and fences aren't infinite, I presume the fence can be followed around to the back of the keep?

I have a sling, all questions about range are in relation to how far I can sling a bullet.
    So, for example, am I near enough that I could fire a bullet over the scorpion so that it when it impacts on the earth (or anything else) it's drawing his attention away from the area through which I'll be clanking, to buy myself a couple of seconds?
    Also, just because they can't reach me in time, will running to the tower put me in the other scorpions' field of view?
    And if they see me running across, does that put my undead in their field of view?

How far away are they all from the top of the tower? How tall is the tower? How tall are they (specifically how high can they reach with their claws?)

And basically, if there's scope to distract the one that's closest to me, then run up to the tower without drawing down the wrath on my scurvy crew, then that's what I'll do.

Borbois Mansion:

Franklin sips another milky coffee and flips his scarf back around his neck.

"The magic chap out there in the halls. there was a roguish sort earlier, that could have added a romance angle if we could get Angela in on it, but well he seems to have vanished.

No worries though, a dragon adds a pure adventure element."

'Oh. Ehhhhhhh and what are you planning to do to the hero when he arrives? I just shout at him and that's it?'

Yawns, stretches, eats some breakfast, memorises some spells.

OOC: Spells of the Day
    Continual Light Lvl 2
    Web Lvl 2
    Shield Lvl 1
    Magic Missile Lvl 1

Godspell: Clairvoyance Lvl 3

Byrwin:
    And basically, if there's scope to distract the one that's closest to me, then run up to the tower without drawing down the wrath on my scurvy crew, then that's what I'll do.
    Othegre slings a stone toward the nearest scorpion and it and the five others dive at the sound.

In the commotion Othegre gets to the tower.

OOC: Check STR to climb, unless you're doing something else.

Byrwin:
    Othegre climbs a few feet and slips and halts in midair.

• Advertisement

Byrwin:

Othegre slings a stone toward the nearest scorpion and it and the five others dive at the sound.

In the commotion Othegre gets to the tower.

OOC: Check STR to climb, unless you're doing something else.

I effectively weigh nothing.....

OOC: Failed climb rolls still mean you fall, weird but there you go. You don't get hurt.

OOC: Failed climb rolls still mean you fall, weird but there you go. You don't get hurt.

I can't fall unless I want to. It one of the few good things about this ****ty class. It's int the rules.
    I don't want to fall.

Byrwin:
    Othegre climbs a few feet and slips.

The scorpions immediately turn, arc their tails and charge in her direction shaking the ground.

OOC: Init!

Othegre turns, surprised momentarily at how fickle the physics of this miserable plane are, but it does sort of reinforce the point about how unnatural all of this really is and how she must ever strive to return it to it's true state.

"Lads will you keep it down? You'll wake him up!"

OOC: Change made

OOC: Change made

No need. Just forces my hand a little earlier than expected.

Flak returns to the room with the lord to play the game.
    "Deal yer cards."

OOC: Is this lad human or spectral? Do I observe anything unusual or unnatural about him or in the room?
    EDIT: Please don't be a game of Gwent, I've never been able to play that. :(

Byrwin:
    OOC: Starting with Othegre today.

Othegre hangs in midair next to the tower masonry, the scorpions snap at her below.

OOC : Not very talkative are they? So I'm out of reach?

Othegre eyes up the scorpions looking for the biggest one, she takes aim with her sling and lets loose, hissing :
    "You! Clawdia Snipper! Will you keep it down! You're ruining the surprise! Also, don't freak out, I know you hunt by vibrations in the ground, but I assure you I'm definitely here, you are not having a psychotic break. Or are you? You ever notice how your mate is always hanging around with that other Scorpion who's pincers are bigger than yours? I bet he clamps down in ways you never could, and when he stings, she squeals. She never squeals for you does she? Doesn't even care enough to pretend. Your life is a lie! You should kill him and her, and then kill yourself!"

OOC : If I'm out of reach and playing the cuckold card doesn't work on overgrown arachnids I'm going to 1d4 them to death until they **** off or start listening to reason. I have 200 bullets and bad aim, they have a lot of HP. Got anything else planned for the afternoon?

edit. rolled a 7 . 199 bullets and bad aim :D Is there a range bonus/penalty?

If you want me to roll the 199 and count the hits (13 for them, isn't it?) and then roll the damage I can. If they're willing to talk about this, let me know

Edit 2: If flailing at them to get their attention is feasible without putting myself in harms way, why then I can do that instead. 1d6+1 will be a quicker and more merciful for them, me and you :D

"seriously, you can't eat me, and unless you have about 18 thousand GP hidden under you carapace this is a complete waste of my time."

(rolled 12)

"...and I've a terrible feeling I'm going to feel compelled to pick all these stones back up afterwards. It's upsetting to think about them mixing with the random misshapen stones of the desert floor...."

(rolled 3)

"...Is one of you slightly smarter then the other 5? None of you exactly look like you've written any prize winning scrolls recently but you're making Dwayne here look like Mordenkainen.... Sorry, Dwayne, I didn't mean it that way..."

(rolled 7)

"...seriously you are the smartest rock I've ever met. And I mean look how many are in the bag here, I've met plenty.... Don't say tha- YOU TAKE THAT BACK! Take it back or I'll..I'll..... I will! I bloody will!"
    Othegre loads Dwayne in the sling
    "TAKE.......IT......BACK!"
    He doesn't.

rolled 16! Hit?

(I've done 200 rolls, damage rolls for the 80-odd hits assuming 13+ is a hit, but every single one is getting dialogue because I am damned if I will be ignored by these chitinous bullies!)

• Advertisement

Byrwin:
    After being pelted by over forty stones one of the scorpions turns to the others.

"This is actually more annoying than is worth the effort. We can get an easier meal."

They scuttle off.

Advertisement