Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

If you accommodation is your transport then it's a different matter, and you don't have to worry about carrying stuff on arrival anyway. If you are going to be camping then why risk bringing more than you could possibly ever need or want to carry in a car when you can restrict yourself to just what fits on the plane, then get a taxi to the gate, walk into the site and don't worry about other junk you would otherwise need to trek back to the car for.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,204 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

It's finally starting to feel like this isn't a million years away anymore :D

Time to start booking flights and buses I think

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭keeponrockin

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Really that bad? We're doing it.... towing a trailer tent! Dublin via rosslare

I think its the overnight ferry bit with very little sleep and then starting out on that longer than expected drive..i drive a lot in my job but still found it very tiring..if youve 2 drivers to break it up youll be grand but having done the flight into bristol and coach down last time ill never do it any other way again. There are even signs up as you walk from the plane into arrivals at bristol airport for private taxi companies who drop you on site at very reasonable rates if there were a few of you..was around £40 so between 3 was same as coach..stupidly i didnt take their details as coaches were already booked from bristol city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,704 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

The cabs from Bristol airport are very pricey. The ones from the little office there. Got an Uber last time and was half the price. Book one for the Monday too. Theres a drop off/collect point outside the festival.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Here's a thing: Assuming Brexit happens on time (Yeah right but let's just assume)........ Will we be able to get duty free? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,865 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Here's a thing: Assuming Brexit happens on time (Yeah right but let's just assume)........ Will we be able to get duty free? :)
    Presuming Brexit does happen on time and sterling plummets, paying off the balance in early April may be a little bit sweeter!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,532 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

It might cost you though for a Green Card to go to Glasto from Ireland.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

It might cost you though for a Green Card to go to Glasto from Ireland.
    Trying to think half-glass full.. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,828 ✭✭✭Alkers

dmm82 wrote:
    We did it last year in a camper. Dublin to Holyhead. We got the 8pm ferry so arrived to Holyhead around midnight and drove through the night with no traffic. Arrived on site around 6am as we stopped a few times for coffees etc. Its definitely doable. We had a few hours sleep then before getting stuck into the festival

That's exactly what we're doing! Have three drivers so all should be good.
    Question for you, once you arrive with the camper, can you leave again to go to the shop or once your in is that it? We were hoping to park up asap, get a kip in and then do the supermarket run the next morning.
    Is the nearby Tesco 24hrs does anyone know?

The one in Shepton Mallet isn't as far as I know..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 593 ✭✭✭dmm82

Question for you, once you arrive with the camper, can you leave again to go to the shop or once your in is that it? We were hoping to park up asap, get a kip in and then do the supermarket run the next morning.

We stocked up the camper with everything we needed b4 we left dublin so didn't need to leave again.

Why would you not just stop somewhere on the way? Seems much easier than going in and trying to leave again, You'll be driving past multiple supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,532 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

The B-52s is touring, starting May and so far up to the 21st June in Spain.

https://www.theb52s.com/tour?fbclid=IwAR0N8oUj-MFL_2m3ZsCBa8AbBcsCX1BBoeColQM0s24iPKchOqG9z9CgymY

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

MadYaker wrote:
    Why would you not just stop somewhere on the way? Seems much easier than going in and trying to leave again, You'll be driving past multiple supermarkets.

I get that but we arrive in the UK at 00.30 and then should be at the campsite at 6am if we don't stop at all. Was hoping to kip for a few hours and then go stock up. We're also going to be wedged in so want to minimise the amount of time we spend with all the supplies on board with us. Do supermarkets have restrictions on alcohol selling times in the UK like we do?

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

I get that but we arrive in the UK at 00.30 and then should be at the campsite at 6am if we don't stop at all. Was hoping to kip for a few hours and then go stock up. We're also going to be wedged in so want to minimise the amount of time we spend with all the supplies on board with us. Do supermarkets have restrictions on alcohol selling times in the UK like we do?

Yes. Same laws as here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

we just get the Tuesday lunchtime sailing, couple of hours drive, supermarket stop, another couple hours drive, then kip nearby overnight. full night's sleep then up and away to the site first thing Wednesday morning, nice and fresh.

we just get the Tuesday lunchtime sailing, couple of hours drive, supermarket stop, another couple hours drive, then kip nearby overnight. full night's sleep then up and away to the site first thing Wednesday morning, nice and fresh.

That was our plan but one of our group cant get the Tuesday off work

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

No they don't have the same rules.

If you find a 24 hour supermarket then they will sell alcohol 24 hours as well, usually. There might be some that do not have a 24 hour license if you are unlucky.

The only point that 24 hours doesn't mean 24 hours is on Sundays where the UK is still restricted in trading hours.

There is a big 24 Hour Asda right off the M5, just after you leave the M4, and you'll be able to get a BigMac next door as well. Has 24 alcohol and everything else you could possibly need to stock up on.

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.5305973,-2.5968421,16.25z

That would almost certainly be the biggest, easiest to find, and closest to the site. There are going to be smaller places closer or others a bit more out of your way, but they also may have sold out of cider, bog roll and wellies by the time you get there.

Typically we used to fly into Bristol Thursday morning and head straight in from the airport. 5 of us would book a 7-seater minibus and ask the driver to stop at the Tesco (And throw him a tenner each in tip so he was happy).

However these days we try for the bus/gate ticket and we now fly over on Wednesday. Stay in Bristol and go to a Tesco there to stockup. then get the busses from the usual Bristol Art Centre (Or whatever it's called). So we are still set up by about 13:00 Thursday. I love having a mooch around on Thursday evening. Usually very relaxed and great fun. 1/2 the people there. and watching people trudge in as ya sip yer drink.

Is it too early to do the usual crawl through obscure weather websites that give a favourable weather forecast? It's always the same: weather.com or something says it's gonna be decen but misty or whatever. But someone says "Oh, I found a website somerset-pipedream-weather[.]com which says it's gonna be GREAT so, wellies at home :)"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭Wooderson

However these days we try for the bus/gate ticket and we now fly over on Wednesday. Stay in Bristol and go to a Tesco there to stockup. then get the busses from the usual Bristol Art Centre (Or whatever it's called). So we are still set up by about 13:00 Thursday. I love having a mooch around on Thursday evening. Usually very relaxed and great fun. 1/2 the people there. and watching people trudge in as ya sip yer drink.

Maybe 15 years ago dude. Place is jammed by Thursday nowadays. Most primo campsites are full by Wednesday mid afternoon. You're out in Pylon otherwise.

Rarely see anyone arrive on Thursday anymore. Place is usually at 95% capacity by Wednesday evening.

robinph wrote:
    There is a big 24 Hour Asda right off the M5, just after you leave the M4, and you'll be able to get a BigMac next door as well. Has 24 alcohol and everything else you could possibly need to stock up on.

Thank you very much!

Wooderson wrote: »
    Maybe 15 years ago dude. Place is jammed by Thursday nowadays. Most primo campsites are full by Wednesday mid afternoon. You're out in Pylon otherwise.
    Ah, we tend to stay a bit further back anyway (Old farts) so are usually onsite about 10:00AM Thursday (Got the 7AM bus this year I think). You know yerself, throw yer gear around while ya set up your tents.

Have a beer at 10:00AM. Take chair out of bag.
    Have a beer. Take tent out of bag.
    Have a beer. Contemplate setting up tents......

Ah, we tend to stay a bit further back anyway (Old farts) so are usually onsite about 10:00AM Thursday (Got the 7AM bus this year I think). You know yerself, throw yer gear around while ya set up your tents.

:eek:

Oh, phew.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,373 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

The Nal wrote: »
    Rarely see anyone arrive on Thursday anymore. Place is usually at 95% capacity by Wednesday evening.
    I've always arrived on a Thursday but I realise I'm in the minority.

S.M.B. wrote: »
    I've always arrived on a Thursday but I realise I'm in the minority.
    Last year was the first day I've done Wednesday but worth it for fireworks.. plus an extra day in the most magical place on earth! (sorry Disney!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Old style....

Wednesday at glasto is great. I’d never miss it by choice.

Edit: i was wondering about this earlier, would a hard brexit be likely to affect the festival in any way? I'm afraid to mention the B word on efestivals

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭thebusher

First time at the festival and looking at booking flights back to Ireland afterwards. Hearing nightmare tales of getting out on Monday. Is a 4pm flight from Bristol back doable if we are up early and get national express back? 

only other option is a 10pm flight with another 2 hour drive once we land ðŸ˜ž

Advertisement