Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glastonbury 2019

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

LowOdour wrote: »
    Was looking at Glastonbury for my 40th birthday in 2021, but heard that it's moving location.

Next year is probably a non runner....wonder will it be back in Worthy Farm in 2022?

Don't think it's moving.

Think there was rumours of them trying to do a Glastonbury'lite somewhere else. If it goes somewhere else though then it's not Glastonbury anymore. There was a tweet last week from Emily Eavis about them now being set for the next 5 years. Unlikely they will miss one in that time. Only thing I could see for them missing a year is if Michael dies (or a zombie apocalypse), but he's mostly out of the organising it now I think and just serves the purpose of being a beardy farmer to appear in publicity things and say daft stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭Le Bruise

Was looking at Glastonbury for my 40th birthday in 2021, but heard that it's moving location.

Next year is probably a non runner....wonder will it be back in Worthy Farm in 2022?

Would 2021 be a 'Fallow year', where they take a years break to allow the ground to heal?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    Absolutely true. I disagree with you regarding The Cure and I can see why their lesser known stuff doesn't appeal to people. But it's all healthy discussion and I'd personally never describe someone as a non-music fan. It seems like a self-defeating argument.

Exactly, I gave up that all-knowing music snobbery aged 16

• Registered Users Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

brevity wrote: »
    I’ve been to a good few festivals, not enough mind you, so I would be fairly comfortable in the environment. I know Glastonbury is about 10 festivals all joined together though.

Would love to see Arcadia and Block 9 and some of the hidden gems ;)

Yeah, you'll definitely love it. Those are the best sort of areas in my opinion (and I know nothing about dance music)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭nc6000

Le Bruise wrote:
    Would 2021 be a 'Fallow year', where they take a years break to allow the ground to heal?

I think they do five years then a follow year so next one should be 2024.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,212 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Le Bruise wrote: »

Last year was a fallow year next one won’t be for a while. The idea of the festival moving site seems to have disappeared completely. Some people think this was a ploy by the organizers to try and stop farmers from whom they have to rent land from asking for more and more money each year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Yeah wouldn't expect a fallow year until 2024. They tend to go for 4 or 5 years at a time, but think they have always done the years ending in a zero whilst I've been going. 2001 was an unexpected fallow year, but that was down to the mass break in during 2000 and then needing to construct the superfence and deal with getting a license from an unhappy local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

the festival was never moving.
    it was talk of them doing another festival elsewhere, called the Variety Bazaar (originally said to be 2021, or the next fallow year), possibly because they have full-time staff who were otherwise sitting around twiddling their thumbs, or having to go off and get different jobs for a year.
    They were definitely looking into it as the Arcadia or Block9 organisers (can't remember which) mentioned going to view one of the potential new sites.

Emily has since said that it's been put on the long finger.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,884 ✭✭✭✭Basq

You seem to go every year, is it worth it. I read some bits here and there that it’s “not what it used to be” but that could just be miserable people who are never happy.

I would love try it out, would you recommend it? What are your tips for going?
    As people have said, you make your own festival.

There's so much to see and do - grab some food you'll never find commonplace - e.g battered chips (drool.. these were amazing), sit down and chat to people.

I don't understand people who just sit at their tent at Pyramid, or sit in a chair for the whole thing. Walked about 90k since last Wednesday accordingly to my Fitbit.

To be honest, go once.. you've nothing to lose.

The only thing is I planned on only going once - now hoping for my 5th next year. It's an absolute ball!

EDIT - anyone else waiting at Gate 31 in Bristol Airport for flight to Dublin? And I thought Saturday was warm in Glasto. This airport lounge is really hurting!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

https://twitter.com/Parksie/status/1145703383321518081

also just before that: "Fleetwood Mac are talking about coming but they never quite make it because I can't afford them"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,523 ✭✭✭LowOdour

the festival was never moving.
    it was talk of them doing another festival elsewhere, called the Variety Bazaar (originally said to be 2021, or the next fallow year), possibly because they have full-time staff who were otherwise sitting around twiddling their thumbs, or having to go off and get different jobs for a year.
    They were definitely looking into it as the Arcadia or Block9 organisers (can't remember which) mentioned going to view one of the potential new sites.

Emily has since said that it's been put on the long finger.

Ah, it's the Variety Bazaar I heard about alright. So 2021 it is so for me!

Does anyone know of a guide/blog etc about a first-timer from Ireland going over? You can never have enough time to prepare!

I've done EP 4 times, Kaleidoscope this year so I know about general festival stuff, but the how's and what's about doing a festival abroad is new to me.

Does anyone know of a guide/blog etc about a first-timer from Ireland going over? You can never have enough time to prepare!
    Tort is the only guide you need: http://www.glastoearth.com/the-faq/faq-part-1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,228 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

also just before that: "Fleetwood Mac are talking about coming but they never quite make it because I can't afford them"

Weren't they there a couple of years ago, or was that Isle of Wight?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Yep, that was IoW.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭Seathrun66

Le Bruise wrote: »

Last year was a fallow year. So the next is likely 2023/2024.

Hurrache wrote: »

Isle of Wight. Eavis was outbid for them that year. I think they're near nailed-on for next year. Possibly alongside Paul McCartney and The 1975 as headliners.

Ah, it's the Variety Bazaar I heard about alright. So 2021 it is so for me!

I've done EP 4 times, Kaleidoscope this year so I know about general festival stuff, but the how's and what's about doing a festival abroad is new to me.

Completely different to any other festival in that one you are in you are in, there is no separate arenas, you can bring in your own alcohol, the site is several times the size of the biggest other festival you've been to, you'll never see it all (I've been going since '95 and still find new stuff that has been there for ever).

Main tip as an international traveller though would be to ensure that your passport and ticket are safely stashed away in a dry bag in one of the property lockups. Other than that take a bunch of money, a tent, some very good footwear and see what happens. And yes I have done it a couple of times before essentially with only the clothes on my back after tent got knicked on the Wednesday night back in the day (that is a very, very rare occurrence these days though).

I feel sorry for whoever has to sit beside me on the plane I stink and I can’t stop twitching

MadYaker wrote: »
    I feel sorry for whoever has to sit beside me on the plane I stink and I can’t stop twitching
    Amen brother.. that lounge didn't help.

Sweating out the last of the Thatcher's Haze!

That Mallet's Cider was absolute piss BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭De Bhál

sat in with a few beers Saturday night and watched the Chemical Brothers set. It was excellent. I was flicking between them and The Killers for about 15mins but Chemical brothers won hands down. What a set.

• Advertisement

Ha ha. And you're on the way to Galway I think. Please let me know where to avoid you in town this evening.

Basq wrote: »
    Amen brother.. that lounge didn't help.

Sweating out the last of the Thatcher's Haze!

That Mallet's Cider was absolute piss BTW.

I was keeping an eye out for the t shirt but I didn’t spot you, I’d say it got some good reactions. My flight isn’t until this evening so hopefully it’ll be cooler.

I was keeping an eye out for the t shirt but I didn’t spot you, I’d say it got some good reactions. My flight isn’t until this evening so hopefully it’ll be cooler.
    Wore it Friday and had a fair few comments alright but it was wrecked with grass and mud stains. It'll be binned methinks! :)

Safe home!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Safe home guys...loved the updates over the wkend and the reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Go on the ****! You are the only person in history to call the cure average, obviously not a music fan.

Pathetic, I was in Glastonbury in 86 which is probably before you were born, I could name plenty of bands I’ve enjoyed more than The Cure down through the years including the Psychedelic Furs and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions in 1986 a year incidentally that The Cure also played. They were pretty forgettable that year as well imho but that probably had something to do with the various substances and alcohol taken at the time.
    I would urge anyone to go, tempted myself and you can always say you were there 33 years later when some random ignoramus says you are obviously not a music fan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,891 ✭✭✭Rfrip

patmac wrote: »
    Pathetic, I was in Glastonbury in 86 which is probably before you were born, I could name plenty of bands I’ve enjoyed more than The Cure down through the years including the Psychedelic Furs and Lloyd Cole and the Commotions in 1986 a year incidentally that The Cure also played. They were pretty forgettable that year as well imho but that probably had something to do with the various substances and alcohol taken at the time.
    I would urge anyone to go, tempted myself and you can always say you were there 33 years later when some random ignoramus says you are obviously not a music fan.

I was also there, my first Glastonbury, and The Cure were utterly astonishing. They played through an electrical storm coming after the driest and hottest day of the year thus far. Lightning flashes to the back of the stage, something that would lead to the plug being pulled these days and indeed happened in 2013. But back then it all added to the atmospherics and the band were glorying in the moment. Just inspired stuff.

After a couple of encores Smith & co left the stage and the rain suddenly ceased. The DJ put on My Boy Lollipop and the crowd hopped about. Maybe the greatest performance I've ever seen at Glastonbury and it's always been highly regarded by fans and critics. You didn't enjoy it. Yep, fair enough, maybe not your thing but I'd really put it down to the substances.And I fully agree about the Furs and Commotions. Pogues, Waterboys and Go-Betweens too. All of those bands at their absolute peak.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭patmac

Seathrun66 wrote: »
    I was also there, my first Glastonbury, and The Cure were utterly astonishing. They played through an electrical storm coming after the driest and hottest day of the year thus far. Lightning flashes to the back of the stage, something that would lead to the plug being pulled these days and indeed happened in 2013. But back then it all added to the atmospherics and the band were glorying in the moment. Just inspired stuff.

After a couple of encores Smith & co left the stage and the rain suddenly ceased. The DJ put on My Boy Lollipop and the crowd hopped about. Maybe the greatest performance I've ever seen at Glastonbury and it's always been highly regarded by fans and critics. You didn't enjoy it. Yep, fair enough, maybe not your thing but I'd really put it down to the substances.And I fully agree about the Furs and Commotions. Pogues, Waterboys and Go-Betweens too. All of those bands at their absolute peak.
    I didn’t say I didn’t enjoy it, I just don’t remember it, even though I was there, I got lead astray by a young one and a few weird substances that were easily available on the day and never to be tried again. She also was on my shoulders for that gig I think and my back hasn’t been right since.
    So more advice stay away from the chemicals and keep your shoulders free of young ones, you’ll save a fortune in chiropractor fees in future years.

patmac wrote: »
    I didn’t say I didn’t enjoy it, I just don’t remember it, even though I was there, I got lead astray by a young one and a few weird substances that were easily available on the day and never to be tried again. She also was on my shoulders for that gig I think and my back hasn’t been right since.
    So more advice stay away from the chemicals and keep your shoulders free of young ones, you’ll save a fortune in chiropractor fees in future years.

Ouch. I think we've all made that mistake. At least we're keeping the chiropractors and osteopaths in business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭declanleo

You seem to go every year, is it worth it. I read some bits here and there that it’s “not what it used to be” but that could just be miserable people who are never happy.

I would love try it out, would you recommend it? What are your tips for going?

Do it. We were lucky to have tents set up but carried too much with us. Fly to bristol and get the airport shuttle. Travel as light as possible as its a long walk in.There is a taxi rank on site that can take you for beers if need be. Be prepared for lots of walking

Advertisement