Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pressed cider fermentation query

Options
  • 18-01-2018 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭

Hi guys
    So here is my question.

I pressed apples last autumn into about litres of juice
    Added the yeast and sugar and put heat on it in a large fermentation bin. In the mean time I had surgery and totally forgot about it.

So is it ruined or can I salvage it ? Anything I can do ?

Wanted to bottle and prime but am I 3 months 2 late ?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Anything I can do ?
    First thing to do is taste it. If it tastes like you might want to drink it then bottle it and drink it; if it doesn't, don't. That's really all there is to it.

I have a batch that's been sitting in a bucket for over a year. It has oxidised quite strongly, but that adds a not-unpleasant sherry flavour. I'm going to bottle and drink it anyway. Eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

BeerNut wrote: »
    Eventually.

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭Prefect_1998

BeerNut wrote: »
    First thing to do is taste it. If it tastes like you might want to drink it then bottle it and drink it; if it doesn't, don't. That's really all there is to it.

I have a batch that's been sitting in a bucket for over a year. It has oxidised quite strongly, but that adds a not-unpleasant sherry flavour. I'm going to bottle and drink it anyway. Eventually.

I have a feeling it will be quite sour. Can this be sweetened at this stage ?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I have a feeling it will be quite sour.
    Stop feeling and start tasting! :D
    Can this be sweetened at this stage ?
    A non-fermentable sugar like Splenda can be used. Or just serve it mixed with apple juice.

Advertisement