Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent renewal in March - when is it a good time to discuss renewing it?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 11:23am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭

I'm in my apartment for 5 years now and will be 6 years there in March. My rent has risen every year since moving in so I'm expecting no different as unfortunately my landlord has multiple apartments in our complex.

Each year I've left it until March to discuss the next years rent, however I could be made redundant in May. Is now a good time to ask about renewing or is it too soon?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

You're on a subsequent Part IV so you don't need to renew the lease, just let the LL do the rent review as and when, make sure it's compliant if you're in a Rent Pressure Zone (RPZ) and give notice if you need to. Don't get locked into another fixed term if you think you might need to move.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭razzler

Hi OP, I'm sure it's the law now that rents can only be reviewed every two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Andy Magic wrote: »
    I'm in my apartment for 5 years now and will be 6 years there in March. My rent has risen every year since moving in so I'm expecting no different as unfortunately my landlord has multiple apartments in our complex.

Each year I've left it until March to discuss the next years rent, however I could be made redundant in May. Is now a good time to ask about renewing or is it too soon?

Thanks

Why would you say anything to him? Let him come to you. If you're outside a RPZ he can only increase every two years. Inside a RPZ it's every year but by a max of 4%. He also has to give you 90 days notice in writing so it looks like he's already missed that. These rules seem to change by the week so I'm open to correction from others in the know.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

You're on a subsequent Part IV so you don't need to renew the lease, just let the LL do the rent review as and when, make sure it's compliant if you're in a Rent Pressure Zone (RPZ) and give notice if you need to. Don't get locked into another fixed term if you think you might need to move.
    Is ihis part 4 not up this year?

ted1 wrote: »

He's have been on a 4 year term, 5 years ago now a 6 (or perhaps another 4 :pac:) so a subsequent by my reckoning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

He's have been on a 4 year term, 5 years ago now a 6 (or perhaps another 4 :pac:) so a subsequent by my reckoning.
    He will be 6 years in March. Part 4 is 6 years now

What was it 5 years ago?

OP, have a good (long) read here. It should cover anything you need to know.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/rent_increases.html

"If you have been renting for at least 6 months and haven't been served with a valid written notice of termination, in general you automatically acquire security of tenure and can stay in the property for a number of years.

If your tenancy started on or before 24 December 2016, this period is 4 years
    If your tenancy started after 24 December 2016, this period is 6 years
    This security of tenure continues in 6-year (formerly 4-year) cycles."

Advertisement