Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chromecast on TV without HDMI

Options
  • 18-01-2018 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭

Got a Chromecast for a friend but only realised afterwards that they didn't have a HDMI port in the TV . Whats my cheapest and best option to use the Chromecast?
    They do have RCA input and scart input. So would this be the best option - HDMI to AV Convertor or has anyone got something cheaper and nearer to home that worked as I'd like to get it back working this weekend for them?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,503 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

robo wrote: »
    Got a Chromecast for a friend but only realised afterwards that they didn't have a HDMI port in the TV . Whats my cheapest and best option to use the Chromecast?
    They do have RCA input and scart input. So would this be the best option - HDMI to AV Convertor or has anyone got something cheaper and nearer to home that worked as I'd like to get it back working this weekend for them?

Would it work? Cant see why not.

Quality would be noticeably degraded i'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭robo

What would be the better alternative? Or because there is no HDMI input then quality will be diminished?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The picture quality using that converter will be terrible. The video is only coming from a single phono (yellow) connection, the other two connections are for left and right audio. See if you can find one that converts HDMI to SCART or (if your friend's TV can take component video) to L/R audio and component video - that's where the picture is transmitted via three connections.

In the image below, the component video 'in' connectors are the three phono sockets in the bottom row, the converter in the OP's first post would only use the yellow port on the top row for video. On some newer TVs, the green socket in the bottom row and the yellow socket on the top row are combined into a single socket coloured green and yellow.

8FolD.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Id worry it wont work at all, the CC presumably uses EDID to set its output - if the D2A converter gives it 576i I'm not sure it'll have any idea what to do.

Its probably not the answer you want, but get a new TV. Even a €30 yoke on adverts will be an upgrade.

Advertisement