Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doping news, not just the elites

Options
  • 18-01-2018 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

So another doping story,

http://www.slowtwitch.com/News/Kevin_Moats_positive_again_8yr_ban_announces_retirement_6712.html

Older age group world champion, second time being banned for testosterone. Not just the pro's using it so. Confirms what a lot of people probably thinking anyway!

Henri Schoeman has had a few questions raised about his Olympic performance today too, thought it was from fancy bears but nothing on their site. Any one have any more info on this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭9Crimes

This is mental. While I don't condone it in any way among pros of any sport (see current rugby controversy over Munster signing which is breaking my heart) as least I can understand the temptation - Money from better performances, results, sponsorship etc.
    This fella seems to have been doing it just to help inflate his ego. From reading the comments, people think he was also a serial drafter too, so a scumbag in every way, good riddance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

What's the mirror that all the comments refer to? Was it to spot draft marshals coming up behind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭ronanmac

EC1000 wrote: »
    What's the mirror that all the comments refer to? Was it to spot draft marshals coming up behind?

Apparently, he was well-known for using the mirror to spot draft marshalls...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭joey100

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-sport-doping-triathlon-schoeman/triathlon-itu-launches-investigation-into-schoeman-allegations-idUSKBN1F72ZL

Bit more on the Schoeman story. Doesn't look good for anyone involved really. All seems a bit of a secret and trying to keep it as quiet as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

based on what info would you say it dosnt look good for people involved, have to seen the full communication ?

I think we need to know a lot more before we can establish that.

• Advertisement

I would say it doesn't look good based on the info that nearly 18 months after the race the ITU had to release a statement saying they would investigate it. That they couldn't say outright that one of 'their' athletes did not test positive. I would have thought they would know the results of any doping tests from the Olympics seen as these athletes then went and competed at other ITU races. If Schoeman did test positive or didn't have the required TUE what does that mean for the ITU 2017 season?

I think it's strange as well that the athlete has not released any statement on it. In recent controversies Froome and Gatlin, once it was made public both released statements defending themselves. I would have expected some sort of defence or denial from Schoeman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

its totally possible that he played accordong to the ( silly) rules with a tue or he used a cream which is allowed . at this stage we have 0 prove that anything he did was legally wrong.

from his point why would he make a statement when he has been allowed to keep his medal. he is innocent at this stage,

it looks not great on IOC and maybe ITU but thats not all people involved.
    but at the same time we have no proof yet that what sputnik writes is correct (its a propaganda paper after all and not quite the ARD who investigated in the russian drug scandal and showe way more evidence )

its he said that she said etc ... and any serious person would not come to conclusions before more facts are on the table.

Advertisement