Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VHF Marine radio kit

• 18-01-2018 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭

I was looking at obtaining a DIY radio kit that tunes the Marine VHF band. I've been looking on ebay and various other sites, and it seems that there are plenty of Broadcast FM and Airband receivers available but didn't see anything available for Marine VHF.

Does anyone happen to know of any Marine VHF kits available? If not, would it be fairly straightforward to convert an Airband or similar receiver to work in the Marine band?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,303 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

VHF Marine uses narrow FM. FM Broadcast is wide FM and Airband is AM so a conversion would probably not be easy. You could ask some of the kit makers whether they do any for VHF Marine. I couldn't find any either.

Unless there is a particular reason you want to go DIY a cheap scanner will cover everything. What do you intend to listen to? The most important thing will be a good antenna, or if you take a scanner to some high ground you will get better results.

Advertisement