Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Someone you have changed your opinion on

• 18-01-2018 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

For the past 10 years, the sight or sound of Tommy Tiernan was enough for me to turn the telly off. I thought he was the most annoying / overrated / shouty comedian with zero humour.
    More recently however, I have truly come to adore him... I think he is charming / hilarious and hugely entertaining. I love his talk show and he comes across a genuinely nice / funny lad. I can't explain why the change of opinion.
    Who have you totally changed your opinion on and why?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Kevin Spacey. My all time favourite actor, can't watch anything of his now for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Roosterreid

eviltwin wrote: »
    Kevin Spacey. My all time favourite actor, can't watch anything of his now for obvious reasons.
    Good point... the recent revelations about Kevin Spacey are appalling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Kathryn Thomas.

Actually, no, she's still a pain in the hole.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭spurshero

Kathryn Thomas.

Actually, no, she's still a pain in the hole.

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I used to like Ray D'Arcy years ago on Today fm. I can't stand him any more. It's all porridge, running, against gambling or having fun, and looking down his nose at everyone.
    I don't know how he has a prime time Saturday night TV show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chrongen

Hmmm.....nope.

Everyone I have loathed from the start I still abhor.

Actually I used to like Travolta and Cruise years and years ago. Scientology put paid to that and now I think they're ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

Fat people.

Then i put on the groceries myself.
    Now im fine with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Paul Pogba

Used to find Eamon Dunphy entertaining to a degree but now I can’t stand his extremely biased opinions. Sad individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,886 ✭✭✭✭Roger_007

Joe Duffy. I used to think he was a bolix. Now I realise he's a complete bolix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Huexotzingo

For the past 10 years, the sight or sound of Tommy Tiernan was enough for me to turn the telly off. I thought he was the most annoying / overrated / shouty comedian with zero humour.
    More recently however, I have truly come to adore him... I think he is charming / hilarious and hugely entertaining. I love his talk show and he comes across a genuinely nice / funny lad. I can't explain why the change of opinion.
    Who have you totally changed your opinion on and why?

Hi Tommy:pac:

• Advertisement

A lot of people I have changed my opinion on is not really that my opinion has changed, so much as _they_ have changed.

Blogger PZ Myers for me. Used to write wonderfully informative posts about biology papers that had just been released, and in debates he had great arguments and points and knowledge. Used to be I opened his blog first think every morning and last thing every night.

Since Elevator-gate however he has started seeing Sexism, rape culture, and the rise of the alt-right in everyone and everything he lays eyes on - and his most cutting arguments tend to be to call people "****" to "slymepit" or some such.

Whether he has just gone weird in the head, or he had to get click-baity due to falling readership, is anyone's guess. But I miss the old PZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

Chrissy Teigen. I saw her first on that lip sync show hosted by LL Cool J, and she came across as a right ditz, just there for decoration in a skimpy dress. But I started following her on Twitter after seeing her being retweeted a few times, and she's funny, self-deprecating and seems like a decent sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Eamon Dunphy i used to admire his outspoken views and say as it is approach when i first watched him on RTE now i think he is a tedious bore years past his sell buy date and has become a parody of himself by this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭flc37ie6ojwkh8

Trump. He was kind of funny in the 90s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Another nod for Dunphy. His tedious ‘man of the people’ rants are difficult to listen to. He thinks he represents the views and perspectives of ‘the common man’. Well the ‘common man’ is a complete pain in the hole if he does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

I have more appreciation for politicians (Enda Kenny) and less for the Garda (all the top levels).

Hilary Clinton. Once I admired her, strong woman mans world and all that. During the running for President I started to question and look a bit deeper. She's a scary woman.
    I no longer take many societal norms and expectations on face value. Instead I do my own research and make up my own mind. This has led to a few about turns for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's a few.

Graham Linehan. Has turned into a horrible, nasty person.
    David Beckham. Hated him at United. Hated him in general. Comes across as a pretty decent bloke now, not afraid to laugh at himself.
    Ray D'Arcy. Complete tosser.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Assange. He's a Russian agent now hiding from rape charges.

I now see Snowden as a traitor, and I'm really not convinced he acted on the commands of his conscience.

Bush and Bush seem an awful lot better now, just because Trump is so horrifyingly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I used to think Stephen Fry was funny. Now he just comes across as a smug, arrogant prick.

It was partly that whole Twitter thing that turned me off him. Someone said something like "you're really funny on television but your tweets are a bit boring". Stephen Fry then proceeded to act like an attention seeking child by threatening to delete his account.

He got away with this because people put it down to his depression. Yet on any forum thread about being offended someone will post this shite.

fry.jpg

• Advertisement

Alan Shatter. He always came across as having a Michael McDowell level of obnoxiousness, woodenness, aloofness and arrogance.

Hearing his RTÉ Radio interview last year about coming home from school as a child to find his mother lying on the floor next to the kitchen oven having taken her own life was incredibly moving and his reflection that he felt the experience damaged his own emotional development made me feel for the man for the first time.

The whole Paisley & McGuinness thing was also incredible to see. Yes, you could be angry that they brought down all previous similar attempts at reconciliation, but what an enormous change it was that they became friends. Definitely the most reflection-inspiring political rapproachment in my lifetime.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Sean Moncrieff,

Gone very pontificating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,700 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ray D'Arcy - used to like him, like everyone. Now I think he's an idiot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

David McSavage

I used to not like him (along with a lot of other boardsies) but now I think most of what he does is good or even really good.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,241 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

c15c2055a554c583e7eb8a6e43222c52.jpg

L.Jenkins has a new opinion of oneself, a little more gungho in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Sean Moncrieff is in danger of disappearing up his own arse.

Hopefully soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,752 ✭✭✭degsie

Rolf Harris, Jimmy Savile, Garry Glitter.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

James Blunt: didn't care at all for his music (and seemed kinda whiny through it), hilarious on Twitter and well able to lean into the criticism.

🤪

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭feargale

Roger_007 wrote: »
    Joe Duffy. I used to think he was a bolix. Now I realise he's a complete bolix.

I don't get the anti-Joe Duffy thing in boards. I think it's part of the boards herd mentality, where one of the ten boards commandments is to badmouth Joe Duffy. (Commandment no. 2: Thou shalt not upset Godwin or his sheepish disciples.)
    A show like Joe Duffy's inevitably atttracts a few gobs**tes, but he also gives a voice to alot of people who, through lack of education or financial clout or otherwise, have nobody to speak for them and who because of their weakness are prey to every kind of bullying, blackguarding and exploitation.

And now I await the torrent of abuse for expressing this heresy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Taxburden carrier

feargale wrote: »
    I don't get the anti-Joe Duffy thing in boards. I think it's part of the boards herd mentality, where one of the ten boards commandments is to badmouth Joe Duffy. (Commandment no. 2: Thou shalt not upset Godwin or his sheepish disciples.)
    A show like Joe Duffy's inevitably atttracts a few gobs**tes, but he also gives a voice to alot of people who, through lack of education or financial clout or otherwise, have nobody to speak for them and who because of their weakness are prey to every kind of bullying, blackguarding and exploitation.

And now I await the torrent of abuse for expressing this heresy.

Will I put the abuse on here or can I just ring you Joe ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I have to admit I find Joe Duffy's show hilarious. The amount of eejits on there is absolutely amazing. I don't mind the man himself really.

But for example for the last couple of days there were mainly women on that worked or are still working in homecare and they talked about some truly disgusting working conditions. I think Liveline radios are important for that very reason, that people are heard that usually can't shout out at all.

Anyway, years back I thought Johnny Depp was a pretty decent guy.
    Now he's just a disgusting middle aged creep that is still stuck in the mindset of an unhygienic movie pirate.

Aung San Suu Kyi. I thought she was a hero but it turns out she is another bad egg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Malayalam

I find that no matter who I get into, jive with their opinions, find them funny, creative and informative etc. (people in the public sphere, I mean) give it long enough and I arrive at the point where I can barely tolerate them. Their voices, their omnipresence, but most of all their absurd certainty about all their opinions. Very small doses of any public persona seems to be about as much as I can take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

Also I was incredibly disappointed when I found out that Melissa Joan Hart is a die-hard christian. Same with Gary Sinise, something like that paints a person in a different light.
    I give to her though that she cares very little what people think of her and that I respect very much, she does what's right for herself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,667 ✭✭✭Hector Bellend

Assange. He's a Russian agent now hiding from rape charges.

I now see Snowden as a traitor, and I'm really not convinced he acted on the commands of his conscience.

Bush and Bush seem an awful lot better now, just because Trump is so horrifyingly bad.

They dont

The swedish rape charges have been dropped against Julian Assange. I'm no fan of his as a perso but they were dropped in fairness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Aung San Suu Kyi. I thought she was a hero but it turns out she is another bad egg.

When she was locked up unjustly she was a beacon of hope. She got out and ethnic cleansing began.

One for me is Mother Theresa. When i was growing up she was a living saint. Someone who worked tirelessly to help others. then I discovered that she was really quite horrible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I used to think Stephen Fry was funny. Now he just comes across as a smug, arrogant prick.

It was partly that whole Twitter thing that turned me off him. Someone said something like "you're really funny on television but your tweets are a bit boring". Stephen Fry then proceeded to act like an attention seeking child by threatening to delete his account.

He got away with this because people put it down to his depression. Yet on any forum thread about being offended someone will post this shite.

fry.jpg

How could I forget that windbag. The human equivalent of the month of January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

keano_afc wrote: »
    How could I forget that windbag. The human equivalent of the month of January.

A bit creepy as well. It’s been said that Fry is what stupid people think intelligent people sound and act like.

Why did you think she was a hero to begin with?

The very fact that Geldof and his buddies were championing her cause was enough.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,955 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Hilary Clinton. In the 2008 US election I was a firm supporter, but the more I have read up about her the less and less I liked her.

• Advertisement

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Hilary Clinton. In the 2008 US election I was a firm supporter, but the more I have read up about her the less and less I liked her.

You think she's bad? Have you read up on Bill Yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Joe prim

That Adolf Mussolini guy, always seemed Ok back in the thirties, but I recently read some stuff about him that shows him up as a bit of a bolex, though i could be confusing him with someone else, maybe that Karl Stalin fella?

Advertisement