Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent a room - draft agreement?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

Does anyone have a draft agreement for rent a room? I'm sure someone here had something drafted up that they were kind enough to share - I cannot find the thread anywhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

one4one wrote: »
    Does anyone have a draft agreement for rent a room? I'm sure someone here had something drafted up that they were kind enough to share - I cannot find the thread anywhere?

I personally don’t have a draft and wouldn’t recommend a draft for rent a room. If it’s your place then you have full control of whatever you want to do. I’d you start using contracts you are giving leverage to the licensee. Maybe something like house rules might be better like pay me monthly. No pets, partners can stay over x amount of days etc

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭surrender monkey

one4one wrote: »

This was the thread I think

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057815521/1/#post105437770

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭one4one

Thanks a million for all the above information. Surrendermonkey that's exactly what I was looking for thank you!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Word of warning- make sure you do not use the terms 'landlord' or 'tenant' in any agreement you do up for a licensee.
    Once you use either of these terms- you are on dodgy territory if there is ever a dispute.
    As an owner-occupier- it is all well and good having some ground rules to govern conduct in the property- however, the person staying with you- is staying with you at your express invitation- and any rights you grant them under a written agreement- are in addition to any rights they might have.
    Whatever you do- you should not have the expression 'this is a legal agreement' in such a document...........

When you are sharing a property and you are the owner occupier- the last thing you want is to grant someone legal rights that they have no entitlements to- and going down the road in the manner suggested- opens you to trouble if there is ever a disagreement between you, the owner, and the person you are letting a room to.

People have significant rights as tenants. If they wish to avail of the security these rights grant them- they should become formal tenants in a landlord-tenant scenario- a rent-a-room licensee- should not be granted similar rights.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭rovers2001

Hi Guys
    Totally new to these type of threads so apologies if not in correct place.
    I have a cabin off site on my property self contained with shower/kitchen living area etc.
    My daughter temporarily lived in it and it’s now available to ourselves but strongly considering trying to recoup some funds from the original costs.
    What would be my best option if there is one..Rent a room scheme Airbnb or Hosting?
    Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    I have a cabin off site on my property self contained with shower/kitchen living area etc.
    My daughter temporarily lived in it and it’s now available to ourselves but strongly considering trying to recoup some funds from the original costs.
    What would be my best option if there is one..Rent a room scheme Airbnb or Hosting?
    Thanks in advance.

If it's not attached you can't avail of Rent a room.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

While your daughter may have lived in it- if you are to let it- it has to comply with minimum housing standards- and while it may have suited your daughter to live there- you are opening yourself to a world of hurt- if it is not compliant with building regulations.

Thanks for replies guys,may try Airbnb or host students,Just toying with ideas so appreciate all advice.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

rovers2001 wrote: »
    Hi Guys
    Thanks in advance.

was there planning permission got for a liveable dwelling when it was put in ? or is it a home office / storage room that you are pretending is liveable space ?

was there planning permission got for a liveable dwelling when it was put in ? or is it a home office / storage room that you are pretending is liveable space ?

Hi
    No we were under planning laws by one inch in height,regards a dwelling we were allowed use as a guest house/office/storage but not a dwelling.
    Due to the difficulty of obtaining accom in Dublin family lived in it for four years,no problems at all.

• Advertisement
Advertisement