Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner in the city

Options
  • 18-01-2018 1:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Hi.I will be in Galway Saturday with other half.Any recommendations sat eve for dinner?Also anything going on there this weekend other than drink scene?Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Jeffy17

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭irish_major

If steak is your thing gemelles is highly recommended. Reasonably priced, steak comes on a hot stone and everything else that I've eaten in there has always been very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Mcswiggans bar and restaurant great food and good pints in central location.good place for food might need to be booked though

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

What style?

Standard Irish / don't like "funny" food: McSwiggans
    Italian: Venice
    Asian: Asian Teahouse
    New Zealand (but with local ingredients): Kai
    French: Rouge
    Fine Dining: Loam
    Tapas: Cava Bodega
    Burgers: Handsome (found inside Caribou)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭1641

It totally depends on the type of food you are after, price range, setting, etc.

If after high quality, French bistro style in a relaxed atmosphere you should not go wrong in Le Petit Pois:

http://lepetitpois.ie/sample-page/

https://www.tripadvisor.ie/Restaurant_Review-g186609-d8401814-Reviews-Le_Petit_Pois-Galway_County_Galway_Western_Ireland.html

Cava is fun and good for Tapas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

If steak is your thing gemelles is highly recommended. Reasonably priced, steak comes on a hot stone and everything else that I've eaten in there has always been very good.

Steak I love, but steak on a stone (or a board) definitely isn't my thing. When will it stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭geekychick

In my experience, it's way too late to book Cava Bodega for this weekend, unless you want to dine at either 5 or 10 pm... I may be wrong, you could try. It's lovely food.

To add to the earlier recommendations:

Japanese: Sushi in the Sky at Radisson's

Moroccan: High Cafe

French/fusion: Vina Mara (love this place, tbh)

Pizza: Milano (I know, it's nothing special, it's a chain, pizza dough is better at Dough Bros, but on the other hand they have a really good, extensive selection, so I like it - and you can normally just pop in.)

Asian Tea House/Buddha bar (same place) is my favourite for Chinese and similar, as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I think for Asian you have to mention Papa Rich. For the one across from McSwiggens the only thing I have to mention is it can feel a little rushed and crowded but it's great if you have something else on after as it's quick. I'm not sure how the one in Born stacks up, it might have a more relaxed atmosphere at dinner and a great view: https://www.facebook.com/paparichborn/?ref=py_c

If you want a long lingering meal with great food then I'd second Petit Pois. If wine is your thing do the pairing menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Depends on lots of things but Kai, Ard Bia, Dela, Il Vicolo, Petit Pois, Loam and Papa Rich are all very good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Supermacs :p

I like Rouge in Dominick Street.

I had a good meal in Keoghs a few weekends ago also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭McTigs

gandroid wrote: »
    Steak I love, but steak on a stone (or a board) definitely isn't my thing. When will it stop?
    It's a hot stone that grills your steak as you eat it....yum.

I'm with you on the boards and other stupid food presentation mind.... my pet hate being the chunky chips in a metal bucket carry on

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭gandroid

McTigs wrote: »
    It's a hot stone that grills your steak as you eat it....yum.

I'm with you on the boards and other stupid food presentation mind.... my pet hate being the chunky chips in a metal bucket carry on

I don't understand how a hot stone could "grill" your steak. Cook yes, but to grill...

Either way, it still sounds like a gimmick. Steak is indeed "yum", if cooked right but part of the reason I'd go to a restaurant is to have my steak presented on a normal plate and cooked to my liking. Each to their own I guess.

I'm with you on the mini bucket/basket for chips too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

gandroid wrote: »

If i wanted to cook, I'd cook at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ArtyC

I think for Asian you have to mention Papa Rich. For the one across from McSwiggens the only thing I have to mention is it can feel a little rushed and crowded but it's great if you have something else on after as it's quick. I'm not sure how the one in Born stacks up, it might have a more relaxed atmosphere at dinner and a great view: https://www.facebook.com/paparichborn/?ref=py_c

If you want a long lingering meal with great food then I'd second Petit Pois. If wine is your thing do the pairing menu.

The one in born is as good ! Beautiful view too

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Walk up Shop Street and look at the menus outside the many restaurants. See what takes your fancy on the night.
    Galway is so small you can work up an appetite checking out a few places in city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭fire_man

Thanks for replies guys.Looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭badker

Papaborn doesnt be as busy and rushed from what iv'e seen. It has the same good food quality and nice view out over the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Mearings

badker wrote: »
    Papaborn doesnt be as busy and rushed from what iv'e seen. It has the same good food quality and nice view out over the river.

Papa Rich Bistro, at the river side of the Born shop, Newtownsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭endabob1

Depends on lots of things but Kai, Ard Bia, Dela, Il Vicolo, Petit Pois, Loam and Papa Rich are all very good.

Along with the many votes for Cava I would also endorse Loam, not cheap, but a very excellent taster menu with wine pairing

Out of the City, both O'Grady's on the Pier and Donnelly's in Bearna are good options.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Papa rich is closed this Saturday for their staff party (seen on Facebook yesterday).
    Apologies - closed on MONDAY for staff party. Moderator please delete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moderator please delete.
    For future ref, please report the post if you want mod attention. We don't read every post in the forum so might miss it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Apologies - closed on MONDAY for staff party. Moderator please delete.

Just click EDIT and then DELETE. You don't need a mod to do it for you.

Advertisement