Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Last Month in Rented Accommodation

Options
  • 18-01-2018 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for a bit of advice on this from anyone who may have experience, from both tenant and landlord point of view if possible.

First off a bit of background, myself and my housesmate are due to leave our rented accommodation at the end of February. I have been in the apartment for 4.5yrs but on the lease for 3 years. My housemate has only been here for just over a year.

We have 1 months deposit sitting with the landlord. We have an inspection of the property booked with the letting agent for the end of February. Our internal conversations regarding the last months rent has settled on us using the deposit to cover this rent.

Reason for this is we are pretty much convinced that the letting agent will try to screw us over the repairs / paints etc. and this is coming from anecdotal evidence we have from speaking to previous tenants who have dealt with this company. Painting is one aspect I know they will come after us for, even though the only 'damage' is from standard wear and tear, and the place hasn't been painted in my time living there, or in the previous years when the previous lease holder was living there.

Another slight complication on this from my point of view, the apartments are up for sale and will be renovated after we move out, including paintings, refresh of furniture etc.

Over the years I've been there rent has always been paid on the agreed date so never had any issues with anything this.

Our rent comes out at the start of each month whereas the inspection isn't until the end, so thats another reason we are concerned they will try to withhold the deposits from us.

Any suggestions on what we should do here? I don't want to leave on a sour note as the previous few years have been good for the most part, plus I could just do without the stress of needing to deal with it all!

Any feedback/advice would be much appreciated, like I said I would be interested in hearing from tenants and landlords.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s illagal to withhold rent. Deposits can not be used as rent. If you have an issue with the deposit being retained open a case with the prtb.

No one can advise you take illegal action.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

I don't think Boards even allows posters to recommend withholding rent here.

If you withhold rent, as well as breaking the law, you might ruin your references, is this an issue for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rossmores

so i will default on rent in-case i dont get my full deposit back bye bye reference
    I have never held a good tenant deposit
    Evidence that Landlords should need proof of last six rental payments.

Advertisement