Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kerry Babies Case

Options

Comments

Do you reckon they’ll ask all the islanders to provide a sample for DNA analysis? Could be a quick way to rule in or out particular families?
    As it is, they’ve probably located the DNA of baby John to small sections of the Kerry community.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

deisemum wrote: »
    It was April 1984, baby John was found the day before my youngest sister was born.

There would have been little or nothing going on, no turism at that time back then, I do think they did have babies DNA , and hopefully this will lead them to his relatives, that is if they are testing others against it, could a woman manage having and disposing a baby on her own, I don't know

You're forgetting or ignoring the fact that they're trying to bring to justice the person or persons who stabbed a five day old baby to death.

The person that stabbed that baby is a Murderer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

goat2 wrote: »
    Today in the news, they are now making door to door enquiries, maybe someone that knew something and were afraid to reveal, could bring this to a conclusion, also they might have a better idea where the little baby was put in the sea, with advancement of science, and DNA they could be close to the truth in the area it happened in,
    I cannot think what time of the year it happened, but that area would have tourists mainly for the july, august time of year back then,

Great to hear - Baby John gets forgotten a lot of the time but he deserves justice.

I can’t imagine the kind of person you’d have to be to think stabbing a three day old baby to death is ok.

goat2 wrote: »
    There would have been little or nothing going on, no turism at that time back then, I do think they did have babies DNA , and hopefully this will lead them to his relatives, that is if they are testing others against it, could a woman manage having and disposing a baby on her own, I don't know

Could a mother really bring herself to stab her tiny baby multiple times to death no matter how scared or ashamed she was?

I’m inclined to think it was a family member that did personally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭paw patrol

juno10353 wrote: »
    Poor baby and poor mother, such a sad case.
    the mother is at present unknown, she could be the killer .
    we should hold off on the "poor mother" speils.
    Great to hear - Baby John gets forgotten a lot of the time but he deserves justice.

I can’t imagine the kind of person you’d have to be to think stabbing a three day old baby to death is ok.
    I was listening to newstalk this evening, Yates was talking to a guy from radio Kerry about the developments. Radio Kerry man was saying that the station had callers saying that the matter should be left in the past.

what type of fcuker thinks that the murder (by stabbing ) of a new baby should be left in the past? What horrible to heard that was a strong sentiment in the area.
    The culture of keeping stuff under the carpet should be left in the past.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,385 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Could a mother really bring herself to stab her tiny baby multiple times to death no matter how scared or ashamed she was?
    Of course. Why would they be different to anyone else?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I remenber this case well as a young child. It dominated the news for weeks. Ireland was a different country then.

Joanne Hayes was effectively fitted up the Gardai and it was despicable. The killer of the newborn baby will in all liklihood never be brought to justice.

It has similarities to the Dalkey House of Horrors baby killing of 1973, when two young boys found the body of a newborn baby in a plastic bag in Dun Laoghaire. No-one was ever brought to justice over that case either.

What is certain is that somebody in West Kerry knows the truth and is shielding a murderer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

paw patrol wrote: »

I was listening to newstalk this evening, Yates was talking to a guy from radio Kerry about the developments. Radio Kerry man was saying that the station had callers saying that the matter should be left in the past.

what type of fcuker thinks that the murder (by stabbing ) of a new baby should be left in the past? What horrible to heard that was a strong sentiment in the area.

I for one beleive it should be left alone. There is a innocent victim of this whole farce who was haranged and pillaried by the corrupt and vindictive forces of this state.
    I can't help but be very cynical of the motives of reopening of this case now, maybe first investigate how the law made such a monumental and disgusting **** up of the original investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

JupiterKid wrote: »
    I remenber this case well as a young child. It dominated the news for weeks. Ireland was a different country then.

Joanne Hayes was effectively fitted up the Gardai and it was despicable. The killer of the newborn baby will in all liklihood never be brought to justice.

It has similarities to the Dalkey House of Horrors baby kilking of 1973, when two young boys found the body of a newborn baby in a plastic bag in Dun Laoghaire. No-one was ever brought to justice over that case either.

What is certain is that somebody in West Kerry knows the truth and is shielding a murderer.

At least one person knows, but I suspect more than one person was involved.

I can't imagine what it has been like living with a secret like that all these years, never knowing if one day you would get that knock at the door that means you have been found out.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

If you look at the Dalkey House of Horrors, it was allegedly the grandmother who murdered the baby. The mother was a child herself and an innocent victim.
    Perhaps local people know who was responsible and that they are long dead.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I for one beleive it should be left alone. There is a innocent victim of this whole farce who was haranged and pillaried by the corrupt and vindictive forces of this state.
    I can't help but be very cynical of the motives of reopening of this case now, maybe first investigate how the law made such a monumental and disgusting **** up of the original investigation.
    No desire to get justice for baby John and put a murderer behind bars?

So the other tiny three day old innocent victim should be forgotten?

Does a murdered baby mean nothing?

I would have to assume it’s members of a certain generation who were brought up to believe some things were shameful and should be kept hidden by any means necessary.

Not to say that all members of that generation think that way of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Do you reckon they’ll ask all the islanders to provide a sample for DNA analysis? Could be a quick way to rule in or out particular families?
    As it is, they’ve probably located the DNA of baby John to small sections of the Kerry community.

RTE are reporting that Gardai "have taken DNA samples from a small but significant number of people on Valentia Island"

https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2018/0924/995739-kerry-babies/

On RTE news now- Gardai have on an investigative basis, not a random basis, have asked a number of people (running into double digits) to provide DNA samples as part of this investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,722 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Baby John deserves justice and his killer to rot away in prison for life

• Registered Users Posts: 12,476 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Id have to agree. A fragile innocent baby was stabbed to death. The truth needs to come out, regardless of the past it digs up.

All Eyes On Rafah

Id have to agree. A fragile innocent baby was stabbed to death. The truth needs to come out, regardless of the past it digs up.

Agreed. According to RTE News some of the locals are saying it should be left alone because it could stir up a lot of unpleasantness for the children and grandchildren of those involved - well quite frankly if it were me I’d rather know. I’d hate to think there was a child killer among those close to me and one who evaded justice at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Probably the same type of ****er that deemed it ok to kick the living s###e out of the members of the Hayes family in order to obtain a confession for the murder of baby John, which incidentally, they did.
    The leader of the infamous 'Heavy Gang' was from Listowel, just a few miles down the road and he did this to his own people, knowing full well that a gross miscarriage of justice was taking place, but was only interested in promoting his own career and that of his buddies/thugs.
    Today, he is held up as a pillar of society by the likes of Joe Duffy and receives an outlandish state pension along with his buddies/thugs.
    When will the Gardaí be calling to his door? will the politicians insist they do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,809 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

At least one person knows, but I suspect more than one person was involved.

I can't imagine what it has been like living with a secret like that all these years, never knowing if one day you would get that knock at the door that means you have been found out.

Yeah the poor murdering bastard living in fear of being found out !

But I know what you mean regarding someone who is intimidated into secrecy.

JupiterKid wrote: »

It has similarities to the Dalkey House of Horrors baby killing of 1973, when two young boys found the body of a newborn baby in a plastic bag in Dun Laoghaire. No-one was ever brought to justice over that case either.

It is not West Kerry, it is South Kerry,

Mr o Carroll must be well versed in , obstetrics, wow

• Registered Users Posts: 40,457 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

If the bould gerry had done his job properly in the first place we would not be talking about this case now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Caquas

€2.5 Million to the Hayes family in settlement of their claims against the State.

No day in court, no light thrown on the strange events in Kerry almost 40 years ago. No accountability from the Gardai. No review of the Tribunal. Just lots of Exchequer money to make it all go away.

An Irish solution to an Irish problem.

Examiner gets it wrong- no award was made, this was a settlement of a civil dispute.

Correction- they will get a day in court for a statement to be read out and the court will make an “award”. Theatrical purposes only.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40192470.html

If it was settled then one could safely assume that the family chose to settle. Aren't their views important?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

If it was settled then one could safely assume that the family chose to settle. Aren't their views important?

2.5 million shuts a lot of people up..................

BENDYBINN wrote: »
    They've received apologgies from the state. They've been exonerated.
    Now they've received some compensation.
    I don't know but maybe now they just want a quiet life and not be back in the media?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,028 ✭✭✭Call me Al

BENDYBINN wrote: »

So what.
    She was treated appallingly.
    If she wants to take her compensation and try to finally put this all behind her then I don't blame her one bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,388 ✭✭✭✭Sardonicat

Call me Al wrote: »
    So what.
    She was treated appallingly.
    If she wants to take her compensation and try to finally put this all behind her then I don't blame her one bit.

Considering what she and her family were put through it's a paltry sum IMO. Good luck to her, I wish her all the best.

Advertisement