Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish resident insuring car kept in the UK

Options
  • 18-01-2018 3:37pm
    Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any UK insurers who would insure a non-UK resident?

Hoping to move a currently UK registered car to a holiday home in Cornwall. Irish insurers cannot insure non-Irish cars for cover in the UK (unless someone can tell be otherwise), and UK insurers struggle if you don't have permanent UK residence. I think there are a few out there that can do this and was looking for any suggestions

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

Beasty wrote: »
    Anyone know of any UK insurers who would insure a non-UK resident?

Hoping to move a currently UK registered car to a holiday home in Cornwall. Irish insurers cannot insure non-Irish cars for cover in the UK (unless someone can tell be otherwise), and UK insurers struggle if you don't have permanent UK residence. I think there are a few out there that can do this and was looking for any suggestions

Thanks

Get a custons exemption letter to confirm all above case for having Irish car in Uk then UK insurance company can cover that car and suspend cover during the time u away from Uk
    Covers the risk car for Fire & Theft as no road liability needed

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Thanks, but the car is already registered in the UK, but in my late father's name.

The only solution I've been able to come up with is to have it registered and insured by someone in the UK (in this case my in-laws), with me and my wife becoming named drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

You have a UK postal addresss, utility bills in your name, presumably a bank account etc, what's the harm in telling them you're resident there?

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,508 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

shaunr68 wrote: »
    You have a UK postal addresss, utility bills in your name, presumably a bank account etc, what's the harm in telling them you're resident there?
    Because I'm not resident there, and an insurance contract is one of "utmost good faith". If I fail to disclose something material I leave myself open to prosecution should anything go wrong.

Because I'm not resident there, and an insurance contract is one of "utmost good faith". If I fail to disclose something material I leave myself open to prosecution should anything go wrong.
    Theere's not a great deal of good faith shown by insurance companies when they typically try to wriggle out of paying legitimate claims!

Fair enough though, I appreciate it would be a little bit naughty and it's up to the individual to weigh up the risks. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sue Pa Key Pa

Theere's not a great deal of good faith shown by insurance companies when they typically try to wriggle out of paying legitimate claims!

Fair enough though, I appreciate it would be a little bit naughty and it's up to the individual to weigh up the risks. :)

You're advising someone to obtain insurance by deception and then accuse insurers of not paying legitimate claims? Do you not see any link between those comments?

You're advising someone to obtain insurance by deception and then accuse insurers of not paying legitimate claims? Do you not see any link between those comments?
    What's good for the goose...

Anyway from what I'm reading the OP is already planning to circumvent the insurer's residence requirements by registering the car in a family member's name and then declaring them as the main driver. I don't see much difference with regard to the legitimacy of either method of deception.

Legitimate claims never get refused. Insurers have no interest in doing that. What can happen is that people's perception of what is covered can be wrong or, more regularly, liars get caught out

Legitimate claims never get refused. Insurers have no interest in doing that. What can happen is that people's perception of what is covered can be wrong or, more regularly, liars get caught out
    Not according to a report by Which - "Insurers avoiding settling car and home claims" citing spurious reasons for claim refusal.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2013/jul/14/insurers-avoiding-car-home-claims

One common complaint was insurers agreeing to settle motor accident claims on a 50:50 basis despite there being overwhelming evidence to show that one party was at fault. Call me a cynic but this is in the interests of the insurance industry as both drivers then lose their no claims bonus and can be gouged for higher premiums.

PS want to buy a bridge?

• Advertisement

Excuse me if I don't an article seriously which describes the principle of 50/50 as paying "half the claim".

Anyway from what I'm reading the OP is already planning to circumvent the insurer's residence requirements by registering the car in a family member's name and then declaring them as the main driver. I don't see much difference with regard to the legitimacy of either method of deception.

Excuse me but I have discussed the situation with (UK) insurers and they made this recommendation.

Excuse me but I have discussed the situation with (UK) insurers and they made this recommendation.
    Really? So a call centre agent has recommended that the keeper declare themselves to be the main driver when they know that not to be the case? I'd be getting that in writing if I were you.

Really? So a call centre agent has recommended that the keeper declare themselves to be the main driver when they know that not to be the case? I'd be getting that in writing if I were you.
    They don't need to declare they will be the main driver. They are the registered owner and they put the insurance in their own name with named drivers

Anyway, thanks for that very useful suggestion BorneTobyWilde

I've always been asked who the main driver is whenever taking out a policy with multiple drivers on the same cover.

They're clearly recommending a means of circumventing their own residence rules so I'd be wary of what they say on the phone and get it in writing. You never know, if it comes to a claim it might be just the excuse they need to refuse to pay out...

I've always been asked who the main driver is whenever taking out a policy with multiple drivers on the same cover.

They're clearly recommending a means of circumventing their own residence rules so I'd be wary of what they say on the phone and get it in writing. You never know, if it comes to a claim it might be just the excuse they need to refuse to pay out...
    I only need 3rd party, but I would also add that we are talking about UK insurers here, not Irish ones. Regardless I've had an answer to my original question

• Registered Users Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I don't actually see anything strange about that.
    As they can't offer insurance to non-residents (curious why actually, but it must be their own rules), they recommended registering car in family member's name (who is resident), getting him to insure it, and add OP as named driver (they clearly don't have a policy of not allowing non-resident named drivers).
    Then declaring that OP will be main driver, and all is sorted.

Sounds clear enough to me.

Advertisement