Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of the swift?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 6:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Are we seeing the end of days for the.22 swift?

Friend of mine has a lovely remi 700 s/steel heavy barrel, bought it 7/8 years ago for almost 2k. The gun hasn't 300 shots fired as new condition and was offered €100 as a trade in for a tika.243 valued at €1500

The dealer said the swift is a caliber of the past. Is he right or just riding the poor fella?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

pm. wrote: »

Friend of mine has a lovely remi 700 s/steel heavy barrel, bought it 7/8 years ago for almost 2k. The gun hasn't 300 shots fired as new condition and was offered €100 as a trade in for a tika.243 valued at €1500

The dealer said the swift is a caliber of the past. Is he right or just riding the poor fella?

He'd make far more selling privately. Trade in is rarely worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Yes to your last question. In an age where just about anyone uses .223 for foxing a .22 Swift wouldn't be the most sought after caliber but €100 is a bit of a joke unless the rifle is in poor condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Yes to your last question. In an age where just about anyone uses .223 for foxing a .22 Swift wouldn't be the most sought after caliber but €100 is a bit of a joke unless the rifle is in poor condition.

Nope it's in great condition. I know the.223 is fairly popular but I didn't realise it was making the swift redundant. I suppose when I think about the swift working out around €2 a shot it's not cheap and choice of ammo is limited

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭zeissman

Nope it's in great condition. I know the.223 is fairly popular but I didn't realise it was making the swift redundant. I suppose when I think about the swift working out around €2 a shot it's not cheap and choice of ammo is limited
    The swift is not as popular here now mainly because of the price of ammo and the availability of the 223 and 204 etc. The dealer is taking the piss though offering him 100 euro.
    I had a look on gun trader which is a uk website and there are 2 Remington stainless swifts for sale at 899 and 999 sterling.
    He might be better off trading it into a dealer in N Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭ejg

I'd buy a tuck load of Rem 700 swifts at 100 Euro a piece.
    edi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

i think the rifle makers and ammo makers have given up on the swift. Tis a pity cos the swift has a place in irish foxing, The 22 250 is similar to the swift but very hard to get a licence for a 22 250 without a deer permit. On a windy night the swift or 22 250 really reaches out to them shy foxes.

When i had a swift, it made fair pulp of any fox within 50 yards!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭steyrman

He is taking the piss with that offer Remingtion actions will make 450 as a donor action I would try and sell it private first the go back to another dealer with cash and see what deal he can get

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭tikkamark

Swift is not popular here purely because we can’t reload-in uk and USA it’s still a well used caliber and rightly so they are an awesome performer for fox and in the USA coyotes.
    If the rifle is clean I’d definitely try selling it to a northern or uk dealer.
    €100 is a complete insult and utter p take.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭gunhappy_ie

steyrman wrote: »
    He is taking the piss with that offer Remingtion actions will make 450 as a donor action I would try and sell it private first the go back to another dealer with cash and see what deal he can get

I picked up a 22.250 rifle complete for €200 !
    tikkamark wrote: »
    Swift is not popular here purely because we can’t reload-in uk and USA it’s still a well used caliber and rightly so they are an awesome performer for fox and in the USA coyotes.
    If the rifle is clean I’d definitely try selling it to a northern or uk dealer.
    €100 is a complete insult and utter p take.

Bingo... reloading is the cartridges demise here.

To the OP.... its unfortuate but some RFDs arent taking guns in any more on trades as they just cannot sell them ! While the €100 offer was an insult its showing of the times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I had a swift years ago and loved it, but prefered the .22-250, a shorter cartridge and of course rimless. A dealer was telling me a while ago that the gardai will not licence a .22-250 for foxing, which seems stupid as that is what it is really for. I doubt the swift will die in places like mainland europe and the usa, because as has been said they can reload.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Sika98k

gunny123 wrote: »
    I had a swift years ago and loved it, but prefered the .22-250, a shorter cartridge and of course rimless. A dealer was telling me a while ago that the gardai will not licence a .22-250 for foxing, which seems stupid as that is what it is really for. I doubt the swift will die in places like mainland europe and the usa, because as has been said they can reload.

Not completely true on the Gardai not licensing a 22/250 for foxing. I got mine licenced without any hassle. Admittedly some years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Sika98k wrote: »
    Not completely true on the Gardai not licensing a 22/250 for foxing. I got mine licenced without any hassle. Admittedly some years ago.

Well like moderators, its up to the local super, the postcode lottery again.

Advertisement