Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Scope Choice

Options
  • 18-01-2018 6:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭

My .22lr has been wearing the same scope for around 10 years, its a Hawke 3-9x44 ill.
    I bought rifle and scope from a friend who had it from new!!

Now to be fair theres nothing "wrong" with the scope but im in the market for a new scope!!

Ive looked at Zeiss (Terra), Hawke, Nikon and Bushnell but ive no experience with any of these brands except Hawke but as I said its 10 years old!!

Any opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭pm.

Out of the makes you quoted definitely zeiss. I have a zeiss conquest 6.5x20x50 on my.243 and it's crystal clear.

My suggestion would be to also look at sightron a cracking scope. I have one on my.17 hmr and can't fault it almost on par with the zeiss.

I would also go to a minimum of x12 as your maximum magnification and the front to x50 let's more light in

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

I'm using a Bushnell LRHS on my bunny rifle and absolutely love it - 3-12x44 so not enormous, great glass, mil-mil, FFP, Side focus down to 50, resettable turrets and a G2H reticle is brilliant.. couldn't say enough good things about it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭alanmc

I found when I was shopping for a scope, it was largely about budget. I could have gone nuts and spent as much on the scope as I did on buying my rifle.

A good compromise for me was the Vortex Viper PST Gen I. Have Vipers on both my rifles.

What's your budget OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Rifter

Cheers for the feedback lads
    alanmc wrote: »
    What's your budget OP?

Ive got about €500 to spend, which is why I was looking at the Zeiss Terra!! I know I could spend similar on any of the other 3 brands I mentioned.
    My .22lr is purely for hunting. Im not looking for massive magnification but I would like a 50mm obj.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

I'm a Bushnell man having had manybovercthecyears and still have 4. I could never spend big money on a scope. 400 for the elite 4200 second hand was the most.if you can get a Zeiss second hand for you price then that would be the best

• Advertisement

clivej wrote: »
    I'm a Bushnell man having had manybovercthecyears and still have 4. I could never spend big money on a scope. 400 for the elite 4200 second hand was the most.if you can get a Zeiss second hand for you price then that would be the best

I can pick up a Zeiss Terra 3-9/4-12 from the UK or Opticstrade for c. 500 Clive....

Now the Terra line afaik use Japanese lenses(but so do the other brands I mentioned)

Rifter wrote: »
    I can pick up a Zeiss Terra 3-9/4-12 from the UK or Opticstrade for c. 500 Clive....

Now the Terra line afaik use Japanese lenses(but so do the other brands I mentioned)

As do sightron but I can't fault them

pm. wrote: »
    As do sightron but I can't fault them

I had never considered sightron pm, ill have a look at them!!

If it were you though, would you go sightron or zeiss?

I have both, zeiss have the brand name history of great lenses, sightron are fairly new and give a lifetime warranty. You will get more bang for your buck with sightron ( personally I would only look at the siii series) and a higher magnification so on that bases I would seriously consider it over a zeiss...

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

My vote is Zeiss Conquest , at least 14 mag and 50mm objective lens.

• Advertisement

pm. wrote: »
    I have both, zeiss have the brand name history of great lenses, sightron are fairly new and give a lifetime warranty. You will get more bang for your buck with sightron ( personally I would only look at the siii series) and a higher magnification so on that bases I would seriously consider it over a zeiss...

Its only for hunting with a .22lr sub, most of my shots are taken on either 4x or 8x on my current scope!! I want to get a 50mm obj, but i think any mag over 10x would be wasted?
    rsole1 wrote: »
    My vote is Zeiss Conquest , at least 14 mag and 50mm objective lens.

Thats a bit too much money for a scope for a .22lr

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭German pointer

Iv a Docter 2.5-10X48 on my .22 and its a cracking hunting scope. If you can find a secondhand one grab it. Or indeed any German or Austrian scope

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭rsole1

Its only for hunting with a .22lr sub, most of my shots are taken on either 4x or 8x on my current scope!! I want to get a 50mm obj, but i think any mag over 10x would be wasted?

I got an ex demo from opticswarehouse just before Xmas for £420 = €503 with delivery. Couple of small marks on it but glass perfect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Keep an eye on the classified adverts here, great bargains turn up. Someone was selling a kaps scope recently. If its purely for hunting, consider an illuminated model, the clearest lenses in the world are useless if you cannot see the crosshairs on a gloomy day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Rifter, if I were you I wouldn't bother with anything over 9 or 10 times magnification on a .22lr.

I've a 3-9x40 Conquest on a .308 and I've shot deer with it at give or take 400 metres and foxes under a lamp at 250 or so metres. Previously I had that scope on .22 Hornet. Magnification has seldom been turned up over 6 or 7.

If you're using a .22lr for hunting there's realistically speaking no circumstances that will require any higher magnification than what a 9 or 10 times scope will give you.

If I were you I'd look at quality and quality only. A smaller diameter with quality lenses will outperform an average quality larger diameter scope any day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭extremetaz

Its only for hunting with a .22lr sub,... i think any mag over 10x would be wasted?

This I absoulutely agree with

This I don't - it's a myth to think that 22LR doesn't justify good optics if you're of a mind to buy then. It doens't necessitate them, sure - but although 22LR targets far closer, they're also far smaller; the trajectory of the round more akin to a rainbow than a laser so range estimation is important; and they're quite regularly used in low light, hence why you want a cheaper 50mm rather than a higher quality ~45mm.

My 1417 has glass which matches it for price off the shelf; and my 1423, which was kitted out well before I was born, was setup with glass that would have matched it for price at that time *and* mounted on soldered Suhler claw mounts to boot!

So whilst I'm not saying that you won't find something with a lesser budget which will do the job, good glass is well worth having regardless of caliber. ;)

Advertisement