Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best guinness in ranelagh?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 6:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭

here for a bit, any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Birchall’s IMO, plus they have pint bottles of Guinness

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

Would have said Birchall's too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

zweton wrote: »
    here for a bit, any recommendations?

Mass produced beer is the same in every pub.

It's bizarre the mythology that's around Guinness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

In general my GUINNESS drinking buddies swear by Birchalls. Although as a person who drinks there and would prefer it doesn’t get any busier I’m going to say smyths or the tap house

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭Singer73

Birchalls

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

cheers folks. meant to add do any of these do good pub grub?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 bot44

Great food in The Hill, not sure the Guinness would be up to the standard of our regular supertasters on thread

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Birchalls is more a toastie sambo type place, MC sorleys next door does burgers and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Vronsky wrote: »

It's bizarre the mythology that's around Guinness.
    Ironic that you are talking about they myths and then perpetuating one yourself!

There are loads of myths alright, but guinness is poured by people. I would avoid one barman in my local and favour another. If this question was which pub has the best longnecks of satzenbrau you would have more of a point, though even then some might be kept at different temps.

Are you, and all your "thankers" genuinely saying it is the exact same in each pubs? and that there is zero possibility people could even tell them apart?

regardless of even pubs, in the exact same pub you can be poured a pint with a 1.5" head on it, and one with a smaller one. I expect you and your "thankers" would go for the smaller one. If you accept/agree with this then you are agreeing that you are talking utter shite and that they are not all "the same", and it doesn't even have to be in a different pub.

So if you even think all the lines, gas ratios, glass washing technique, washing up liquid, temperature etc etc, is 100% identical in all pubs. Then by asking which pub has the "best guinness", would be asking which pub has barmen more likely to pour the most agreeable one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

rubadub wrote: »
    So if you even think all the lines, gas ratios, glass washing technique, washing up liquid, temperature etc etc, is 100% identical in all pubs. Then by asking which pub has the "best guinness", would be asking which pub has barmen more likely to pour the most agreeable one.

Then can't we really "reduce" the OPs "question" to a simple "what's a nice pub in Ranelagh?", rather than continuing to perpetuate the "myth" and "marketing message" that a mass-produced and homogenised beer like "Guinness" requires some special care and a "deft hand" at the tap to get "just right"?

":pac:"

Goodshape wrote: »
    Then can't we really "reduce" the OPs "question" to a simple "what's a nice pub in Ranelagh?","
    absolutely not, :confused:, they specifically asked for the best guinness in ranelagh. What do you (and all the other "thankers") think this means?!

To me it means the most enjoyable pint, and to me this means a spotlessly clean glass, with a very good head. If you believe that every single drop of guinness leave exits the tap in the EXACT same condition, then you (I really hope) still have to factor in people do pour it differently, and that this can effect perceived quality.

Now I used to think this was fairly universal until I was going on about the problems of canned guinness and a foreign work colleague was showing me a photo of a perfect guinness can he had poured. I told him I would refuse it if poured that in a pub.

BTW You were one of the "thankers" and avoided answering my question, not surprisingly, I expect the others will ignore it too -for blatantly obvious reasons!!!!!

For the record I am not some guinness zealot, I think it is a very mediocre beer. I see it has blatantly change recipe and is 177kcal per 100ml not and was 170kcal a year or so ago. I have asked barmen to pour me pints in one go to speed up things, some were utterly disgusted. I crack cans and drink without pouring, much to the disgust of many people. I do not give a flying fcuk about the fake tradition & mystery about it. But I most certainly am not going to agree that every single pint poured in the country cannot be told apart, utterly ludicrous crap -worse than the other myths.

absolutely not, :confused:, they specifically asked for the best guinness in ranelagh. What do you (and all the other "thankers") think this means?!

I think it means that the OP has heard the marketing and expects Guinness to be this special magical beer that's going to taste nicer if poured by a trained and certified Guinness Master Barman in the wonderful Home of the Black Stuff – Dublin City!

When actually it'll be pretty much the same in any decent pub with a decent barman and, yes, clean taps. Which isn't as hard to find as you seem to be suggesting.
    BTW You were one of the "thankers" and avoided answering my question, not surprisingly, I expect the others will ignore it too -for blatantly obvious reasons!!!!!

Actually I just thought your question was rhetorical!!!!!

The answer is no, of course. Any pint is going to taste ****e from a manky tap in a dirty pub. Guinness has nothing to do with that.

Goodshape wrote: »
    Actually I just thought your question was rhetorical!!!!!

The answer is no, of course. Any pint is going to taste ****e from a manky tap in a dirty pub. Guinness has nothing to do with that.
    absolutely not rhetorical. At least you had the decency & balls to come out and admit it, which makes me wonder why you thanked this utter irrational bullsh it.

Most just run & hide after copping on to their idiocy. It is not a pack of peanuts, or longneck.

At least now you now admit it is not, as anybody with half a brain would.

The mind still boggles though, I would like to hear from the other "thankers" though. Do they also disagree with the post they thanked... I really hope so...

Some of my most poor pints of guinness were in the brewery.
    Which isn't as hard to find as you seem to be suggesting.
    I never suggested anything was "hard to find", can you please quote what gave you that impression. While you thanked a post which was claiming there was 100% never EVER a difference "the same in every pub". laughable nonsense.

I never suggested anything was "hard to find", can you please quote what gave you that impression.

=
    I would avoid one barman in my local and favour another.
    regardless of even pubs, in the exact same pub you can be poured a pint with a 1.5" head on it, and one with a smaller one.

That gives me the impression that a "good" Guinness is hard to find.

While you thanked a post which was claiming there was 100% never EVER a difference

The post didn't say "100%" or "never EVER", just that it's the same in every pub. I used my own powers of reasoning to assume that meant every pub without manky taps and dirty glasses.

"best Guinness in Ranelagh" – a nonsense question. It'll be the same drink in [basically] every [half decent] pub.

"best pub in Ranelagh that serves Guinness" – I hear Birchall's is a nice spot!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

dudara wrote: »
    Birchall’s IMO, plus they have pint bottles of Guinness
    You had me at "pint bottles". Would they be by any chance stored on shelves rather than in a fridge?

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 bot44

absolutely not rhetorical. At least you had the decency & balls to come out and admit it, which makes me wonder why you thanked this utter irrational bullsh it.

You seem pretty worked up about this.

Theres simply no way anyone would be able to pick out a pint from Birchalls vs other Ranelagh pubs in a blind, triangle taste test.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

bot44 wrote: »
    a blind, triangle taste test.
    Agreed. Also that's some top Ranelagh-related punning.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,294 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Usually the best pub is the one with the old bar man and old décor. Most of it is in peoples heads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

Ironic that you are talking about they myths and then perpetuating one yourself!

There are loads of myths alright, but guinness is poured by people. I would avoid one barman in my local and favour another. If this question was which pub has the best longnecks of satzenbrau you would have more of a point, though even then some might be kept at different temps.

Are you, and all your "thankers" genuinely saying it is the exact same in each pubs? and that there is zero possibility people could even tell them apart?

regardless of even pubs, in the exact same pub you can be poured a pint with a 1.5" head on it, and one with a smaller one. I expect you and your "thankers" would go for the smaller one. If you accept/agree with this then you are agreeing that you are talking utter shite and that they are not all "the same", and it doesn't even have to be in a different pub.

I would be absolutely certain any poster that says they would be able to pick out the Guinness from one pub in Ranelagh consistently as being superior to the rest is lying. It's a mass produced beer, and all the Main street Ranelagh pubs are of a decent standard where you won't find filthy taps. The pint will be the same in them all.

The two part pour is bull**** as well by the way. It's just theatre/ritual and had no impact on the taste of the drink.

In fact I would bet that if you put a pint of Murphy's in front of the ordinary drinker they wouldn't be able to tell you it wasn't Guinness unless they had one to directly compare it with. That is how discerning most drinkers are.

The truth is the Guinness associated with the legendary pubs of Dublin is no better or no worse than what you will find in any other well kept well run pub (of which there are hundreds)

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,832 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would be absolutely certain any poster that says they would be able to pick out the Guinness from one pub in Ranelagh consistently as being superior to the rest is lying. It's a mass produced beer, and all the Main street Ranelagh pubs are of a decent standard where you won't find filthy taps. The pint will be the same in them all.

The two part pour is bull**** as well by the way. It's just theatre/ritual and had no impact on the taste of the drink.

In fact I would bet that if you put a pint of Murphy's in front of the ordinary drinker they wouldn't be able to tell you it wasn't Guinness unless they had one to directly compare it with. That is how discerning most drinkers are.

The truth is the Guinness associated with the legendary pubs of Dublin is no better or no worse than what you will find in any other well kept well run pub (of which there are hundreds)

Anyone who drinks Guinness semi-regularly would be able to spot a pint of Murphy's as soon as the first sip goes in their mouth. They taste different.

It's like claiming someone drinking coke wouldn't be able to tell if you put diet or zero coke in front of them. Nonsense.

To go back to the OPs point, Birchalls is good, Smyths is good. Smyths does nice food, have never eaten in Birchalls.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,871 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

awec wrote: »
    Anyone who drinks Guinness semi-regularly would be able to spot a pint of Murphy's as soon as the first sip goes in their mouth. They taste different.

It's like claiming someone drinking coke wouldn't be able to tell if you put diet or zero coke in front of them. Nonsense.
    You sound like someone who doesn't do blind tastings. They always think it's so obvious until the moment it's just them, three glasses, and somebody looking for an answer :D I do think the difference with Murphy's is clear because it uses chocolate malt and Guinness doesn't. The difference between Guinness and Beamish is much more challenging blind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OldGoat wrote: »
    You had me at "pint bottles". Would they be by any chance stored on shelves rather than in a fridge?

Matter of personal taste. I always prefer mine from the cooler, although there are many fans of off the shelf.

Advertisement