Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Track a mobile number

Options
  • 18-01-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

So is there any ways to find out who owns a mobile number that is pestering you with unwanted texts. I know people will contact garda but that a waste of time, is there any app or site that you can use that wont ask you to sign. Up to heap of offers and crap

I pity the fool that wont give me an answer

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

There are some services that can in the US, but not here.

Your options are:
    A) Block them
    B) Change Number
    C) Get a court order

• Registered Users Posts: 25,447 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

MisterT18 wrote: »

More's the fool that does. For a first post that takes some beating.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

So is there any ways to find out who owns a mobile number that is pestering you with unwanted texts. I know people will contact garda but that a waste of time, is there any app or site that you can use that wont ask you to sign. Up to heap of offers and crap

So they're withholding their caller id ?

Ring up your own phone provider and report nuisance texts.
    They probably won't/shouldn't tell you who is sending it, but might be able to block it or report it back to the phone provider of the sender.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

rgodard80a wrote: »
    So they're withholding their caller id ?

Ring up your own phone provider and report nuisance texts.
    They probably won't/shouldn't tell you who is sending it, but might be able to block it or report it back to the phone provider of the sender.

They won't for the fear of getting a nice fine for data breech.

What does everything have to be a drama with people. You said text. You can see and therefore block the number and move on with your life. Simple.

Like seriously, what are you going to do with the persons identity? Give em a hiding? Harass them back?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Not all prepaid phones are registered. Some are registered to false names.

The bottom line is if the phone company does not know who owns the phone number then there is no way to find out.

Most phones have a way to block individual phone numbers. This is the best option for you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe an explanation of that would be helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭rgodard80a

Reati wrote: »
    They won't for the fear of getting a nice fine for data breech.

They won't give the details to customers, but I'd imagine they have the phone provider and number of who sent it. No data breach in one phone provider reporting nuisance texts to another, especially since both providers would have a copy of the text and record of one sending it and the other receiving it.
    I imagine nuisance texts are against the terms of usage, so they "could" in extreme cases block the sim card / account.
    Reati wrote: »
    You said text. You can see and therefore block the number and move on with your life. Simple.

I imagine it's not that simple.
    If they had the caller id they could simply ring them back.

All depends on what is considered "nuisance texts", if the OP owes them money or sold them a lemon of a car etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭dmc17

Maybe an explanation of that would be helpful.

The clue might be in the username ;)

Advertisement