Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Disclose past addiction in pre-employment medical?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've had problems in the past with addiction to painkillers and have been in treatment twice for addiction and depression. I'm clean and clear now but due to redundancy I'm on the hunt for a new job.

I have no concerns about passing a medical or a drugs test but I'm worried about the medical questionnaire that usually goes along with it. Any sample questionnaires I've found online all include a question about any past history of drug or alcohol addiction and ask about any medication you may be on.

I saw my own GP last week for the sole purpose of asking him what I should disclose and what info he would be obliged to disclose if a company doctor contacted him. I would say 70% of the jobs in my field are in the pharma and med tech sector. He felt that I should be honest in the medical, full disclosure, but maybe get a letter from my psychiatrist stating that I was treated but am considered fit for employment.

I feel that any admission of addiction would instantly rule me out of work in the pharma sector and possibly medical devices.
    I had thought I would disclose that I'm taking anti-depressants but wonder if that would lead to follow up which might reveal my full history.

What would you do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

If you lied on the form, how would they find out?

My gut reaction would be that if you disclose this that you would be declined for the job.

But if you lie on the form & they find out subsequently you would be fired on the spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just to clarify op, your GP cannot be obliged to reveal your medical history in any way, shape or form without your express permission. Patient confidentiality is sacrosanct and cannot be overcome by employer requests for info.

The fact that your job is in the pharma industry does make addiction important, particularly if prescribed medications are being manufactured. Also if you are operating machinery or working in a lab where motor skills and concentration are essential. You will have to go with your gut instinct, if you inform them then you obviously feel it may effect your chances, if you don't inform them and they find out later, you may lose your job. Personally, I would suggest you keep it to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,155 ✭✭✭screamer

Employers will usually ask for your permission for your doctor to share your medical history. You can refuse but they can also withdraw their offer...... I recently had a pre employment questionnaire and I disclosed everything. Now granted I had nothing major to disclose but I really wanted the job so I was just honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I have only had to fill in a medical questionnaire for one job and wasn't asked questions about addiction.
    Because of the industry my husband is in, he has had to do a full medical prior to being offered the position, this has included drug testing etc and he has never been asked questions about addiction.
    The questionnaires you're looking at may be from outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

AFAIK the company Doc will just give the company a pass or fail on the medical but the company can dictate what to pass or fail on (open to correction on this). I also believe that any past health problems disclosed that warrant further investigation will mean I'll need to sign a permission for the doc to contact my GP to satisfy himself that I'm fit for the job now.

I should probably also point out that my medical history also includes a Myasthenia Gravis diagnosis and cancer. Cancer excised and clear 10 years now. MG is a chronic condition that is under control with medication for over a decade. I've no problem disclosing this as, if I kept schtum and it flared up again, health insurance (if provided) could choose not to cover me. Considering this, it's hard to see how some follow up with my doc could be avoided. I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

tell them nothing , say NO.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I think lying or witholding information that would be potentially pivotal to you getting hired or not is a very unsound basis for starting any job, and also a banana skin that could get you fired at anytime should previously witheld information surface.

That in turn would make any future employment very difficult.

I think you need to tell the employer the truth, warts and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

I think you need to tell the employer the truth, warts and all.

But they wont be his employer if he tells the truth.

And if they ask for your doctor how would they know if you gave them your actual doctor?

I was in my late 20s before I saw a doctor apart from when I was a kid, and it wasn't the same doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Lets be honest here, who fills them out truthfully. If you have an allergy or something like Asthma, yeh fine.

But mention addiction and mental health. Nah no way. Bear in mind if they are short-listing CV's all they need is the slightest thing to move to the no pile.

Look at it this way. If you say you had addiction problems in the past, I can't see you getting a job in Pharma.

Don't tell them anything. Worse think that can happen is you lose the jobs. I find it very unlikely you will get hired into Pharma if you disclose addiction in the past.

So to summarise. You tell the truth, very slim chance of getting get hired. You don't disclose, very slim chance of getting fired.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,192 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Tell them nothing. 3 scenarios here op which one do you think is more likely?

1, you say nothing and it won't come back to bite you.
    2, you be honest and an employer has no issue
    3, you be honest and an employer has an issue with it but does not tell you that was the reason you didn't get the job.

Which is most likely to happen? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I really think this is something you can keep to yourself.
    Honestly you’ve done great to overcome your problems and I see no reason to bring this forward.

I say that as a manager who has been involved in hiring for the last 15 years in various companies from large MN to small scale.

Best of luck.

Advertisement