Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

What's that got to do with anything ? :D

You seem to know better...
    The market is there for cheap to run cars provided the range is there and charging infrastructure , yes all issues but this is not the likes of BMW's problem, the problem is that they can't make as much profit for each EV sold V petrol/Diesel.

The responsibility of the company management is to maximise the profit. If they can make more money by shutting down EV production - it's hard to blame them. It is up to the policy makers to ensure it is not cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The Kona will be 191 in Ireland.....:D

You will need to order this year
    Yes there will be some in 191 but, like the 181 leafs or model 3 sold in Q4 2017, it will be avery limited run for pre orders made well in advance.

Real sales (ie walk in to dealer and drive one home) won't happen till 192 at the earliest

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Have been asked to make a decision about my next car. Going to see will the car company price a Kona EV or even if they are able to this early. Will be interesting to see. Will also be interesting to see if they have the appetite to put purchase an EV as all of our cars ordered to date have been diesels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes there will be some in 191 but, like the 181 leafs or model 3 sold in Q4 2017, it will be avery limited run for pre orders made well in advance.

Real sales (ie walk in to dealer and drive one home) won't happen till 192 at the earliest

Isn't that exactly what I said?????

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The timelines for the Kona are very similar to the Ioniq.

Launch in Geneva, Demo Cars available Summer '16 lots of cars delivered Jan '17 after collection of orders.

Kona planned production numbers are 50% higher than the Ioniq was originally planned for, but I expect the orders to be higher than 50% too.
    I suspect we'll have a good few in January with steady deliveries through the year. I wonder will Unkel buy one and strike gold a second time with negative depreciation :D

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    The timelines for the Kona are very similar to the Ioniq.

Launch in Geneva, Demo Cars available Summer '16 lots of cars delivered Jan '17 after collection of orders.

Kona planned production numbers are 50% higher than the Ioniq was originally planned for, but I expect the orders to be higher than 50% too.
    I suspect we'll have a good few in January with steady deliveries through the year. I wonder will Unkel buy one and strike gold a second time with negative depreciation :D

I think the dealers know they are onto a winner with the Kona.....I dont expect many bargains flying around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

liamog wrote: »
    Quick check, a 151 Leaf XE from a dealer is currently listed on Carzone.ie for approx €13,000 they were on sale from Nissan in 2015 €21,450
    Nissan Pulsar 151 XE, now €12,500, then €20,000

That's 40% depreciation on the EV vs 38% depreciation on the ICE. As near enough that it's basically an unnoticeable difference.
    The Tesla Model S was the lowest depreciating vehicle in the UK for 2017.

I just checked this myself and compared all 2015 Pulsar to Leaf and you are right! Depreciation is pretty much identical. (grouped together all the variants, so maybe not entirely accurate). So on this example anyway, it seems depreciation should not be a concern.

Pulsar (Avg=€14,546 Std=€1,209, #cars = 100)
    Leaf (Avg=€14,152, Std=€1,560 #cars = 17)

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/kona/103469/new-hyundai-kona-electric-review

Finally a review.....well kind of review as pre-production

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Available for sale in July they are claiming ...

The same FWD spin form the high torque motor as I observed in the Leaf but those disgraceful EC300s on the Leaf are sh1t in the wet.

Electrics really need RWD , AWD.

12 Kwh/100 Km is impressive but I wonder how far they drove ?

Also I think Hyundai quoted 70 kw not 100 Kw DC charging ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Y2K86

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/hyundai/kona/103469/new-hyundai-kona-electric-review

Finally a review.....well kind of review as pre-production

12kWh/100km

Maybe the efficiency of Hyundai EVs is in the drive train not so much the drag

Y2K86 wrote: »
    12kWh/100km

Maybe the efficiency of Hyundai EVs is in the drive train not so much the drag

Quite possibly. I know there was a graph of the original leaf power train efficiency and it was optimised if I remember correctly for about 60 Kph.

€40,000 for 64kWh

Haha 😂

Good luck with that Hyundai

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-test-drive-notes/

That is a chunk of change all right. Bit disappointing. The grant will bring it down to 35000 ( for the long range ) .
    Trying to get Hyundai Ireland to confirm

Dglflyer wrote: »
    That is a chunk of change all right. Bit disappointing. The grant will bring it down to 35000 ( for the long range ) .

Thats inline with what everyone is saying it would be....30k for lower range and 35k for long range

Just checking if you got anything back from Hyundai?

no , nothing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,141 ✭✭✭✭listermint

€40,000 for 64kWh

Haha 😂

Good luck with that Hyundai

https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-test-drive-notes/

Nearly 300 miles for the guts if 2 euro and people still complain.

Lol.

listermint wrote: »

Lol.

Standard Kona starts at 20k

Be along time getting back those 2 euros

What's the spec of the kona that matches the 64kw version? Any details and what is the price of that .

Whats the cost of diesel for an entire year long commute from I don't know outer commuter belt.

• Advertisement

What's the spec of the kona that matches the 64kw version? Any details and what is the price of that .

Whats the cost of diesel for an entire year long commute from I don't know outer commuter belt.

Can I get the spec of the 20k one in the 64kWh?

20k km per year will cost about 1.5k in fuel

Where are you getting electricity for 3c kWh?

Can I get the spec of the 20k one in the 64kWh?

20k km per year will cost about 1.5k in fuel

Where you getting your fuel . I don't know anyone spending less than 50 a week on fuel.

But sure look

You have it out for the kona ev.

Good luck.

Where you getting your fuel . I don't know anyone spending less than 50 a week on fuel.

€50/week? That is 40l of diesel - which will give at least 600km of range. 600km/week is 30000km/year - I find it hard to believe that everyone you know makes at least that.

Sure - a petrol guzzler will cost you more - but such comparison does not make sense when taking about buying a new €30k+ car, when you can choose whatever suits you. A new EV is not to save money really - is to get the EV experience...

But sure look

Good luck.

I spend 30e

You know me

20,000km/5.4l per 100km x 1.42e per litre = €1.5k

Fuel is a tiny cost in most car ownership

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,565 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

But sure look

Good luck.

I'd know several people including myself who wouldnt spend €50 a week on fuel.
    I'd knock near a fortnight out of 50 .

grogi wrote: »
    €50/week? That is 40l of diesel - which will give at least 600km of range. 600km/week is 30000km/year - I find it hard to believe that everyone you know makes at least that.

Sure - a petrol guzzler will cost you more - but such comparison does not make sense when taking about buying a new €30k+ car, when you can choose whatever suits you. A new EV is not to save money really - is to get the EV experience...

I have a Galaxy and before I had A6

Every 2 weeks I was putting 80-90 euro into both of them. With the Galaxy I am puting in 80 euro every 2 weeks......

It ain't doing anything near 30,000km per year....f**king think drinks diesel....

These comparisons are irrelvant and quite stupid

I listened to all this BS about the eGolf. "An eGolf cost 36k but I can get a Golf for 20k"

Yes you can buy a Golf/Kona at a cheaper price but you are not comparing like for like. Any electric car come with top spec. Also an electric car is automatic.....

The top spec petrol Kona is 30k....

My sister in law bought the top spec Hybrid C-HR....guess how much? 36k.....that is what shoudl be used for a comparison.....

P.S. I sat in the Kona Comfort last week....not something I would buy or anyone I know would buy....

• Advertisement

P.S. I sat in the Kona Comfort last week....not something I would buy or anyone I know would buy....

Are you saying that the name was misleading and the ambiance and seats were actually not comfortable and it had keep fit windows?

samih wrote: »
    Are you saying that the name was misleading and the ambiance and seats were actually not comfortable and it had keep fit windows?

The wind was soothing in the interior which sent me into a "comfort" zone

grogi wrote: »
    . A new EV is not to save money really - is to get the EV experience...

Sorry what?

Thats horsecrap. The sole reason people moved to diesel was the Tax, the sole reason people will move to EV will be the charging.

Its all to save money perceived or not, but no its nothing to do with the EV experience i dont know where you dreamed up that lunacy. :rolleyes:

I spend 30e

You know me

20,000km/5.4l per 100km x 1.42e per litre = €1.5k

Fuel is a tiny cost in most car ownership

What car are you driving to get 5.4l/100km?

Also what type of driving? city? motorway?

I have been driving an BEV , Hyundai Ioniq ,  covered 40000km in 1 year,  estimate I save 1000 euro for every 10000 km I drive  , this is fuel savings alone .  Including services over the long term would probably up those savings .   Those savings along with the 5k grant  I would hazard to say that the ev works out better long term.

Sorry what?

Thats horsecrap. The sole reason people moved to diesel was the Tax

And did that save them money?
    the sole reason people will move to EV will be the charging.

Its all to save money perceived or not, but no its nothing to do with the EV experience i dont know where you dreamed up that lunacy. :rolleyes:

Eventually yes. Right now? A used Leaf does save money, but for majority of people doing 15k/year figures for a new EV simply don't sum up.

• Advertisement

You and your privileged friends are not the market here

20k comfort Kona will be biggest seller

Go figure

What car are you driving to get 5.4l/100km?

Also what type of driving? city? motorway?

Its the Kona combined cycle

These comparisons are irrelvant and quite stupid

I listened to all this BS about the eGolf. "An eGolf cost 36k but I can get a Golf for 20k"

Yes you can buy a Golf/Kona at a cheaper price but you are not comparing like for like. Any electric car come with top spec. Also an electric car is automatic.....

The top spec petrol Kona is 30k....

My sister in law bought the top spec Hybrid C-HR....guess how much? 36k.....that is what shoudl be used for a comparison.....

Hence the amazing sales figures of the eGolf and the millions that have been sold relative to ICE version

No one will buy a top spec petrol for Kona 30k

Its irrelevant

Why doesn't the Kona 64kWh come in comfort spec? Few k off it

I have been driving an BEV , Hyundai Ioniq ,  covered 40000km in 1 year,  estimate I save 1000 euro for every 10000 km I drive  , this is fuel savings alone .  Including services over the long term would probably up those savings .   Those savings along with the 5k grant  I would hazard to say that the ev works out better long term.

True the Ioniq is 25k, competive with ICE version

Kona here will be 10-15k more

Its madness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ioniq would have been similar money to buy compared to a diesel car of the same size and spec (I paid €25k for mine with metallic paint on the road)

Servicing is almost zero (in fact I just paid zero for my first year's service), brakes rarely or never need replacing and there is very little to go wrong. And even if you do only average miles like me, the savings are quite big. My home charger was installed for free and my electricity is free for this year. Public charging is also free. All tolls will have a 50% discount soon and M50 (relevant to me) will be 75% discount off peak

And depreciation on an EV will be a lot lower than on a diesel. Insurance and tax are also cheaper

Owning an EV is not about saving money? Of course it is, more than anything else :cool:

• Advertisement

True the Ioniq is 25k, competive with ICE version

Kona here will be 10-15k more

Its madness

Why are you on electric car forum if you think it is madness?

I could answer all of the "posts" above but why should I....

Go around in circles, see you in a few years when hopefully you will release what everyone else has on this forum.....I ain't going to tell you what it is, it's more fun letting you find out for yourself :D

unkel wrote: »
    Ioniq would have been similar money to buy compared to a diesel car of the same size and spec (I paid €25k for mine with metallic paint on the road)

Servicing is almost zero (in fact I just paid zero for my first year's service), brakes rarely or never need replacing and there is very little to go wrong. And even if you do only average miles like me, the savings are quite big. My home charger was installed for free and my electricity is free for this year. Public charging is also free. All tolls will have a 50% discount soon and M50 (relevant to me) will be 75% discount off peak

And depreciation on an EV will be a lot lower than on a diesel. Insurance and tax are also cheaper

Owning an EV is not about saving money? Of course it is, more than anything else :cool:

Suuussshhhh don't tell them....they are young, they are not ready for it yet.....soon they will realise :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,345 ✭✭✭highdef

unkel wrote: »
    My home charger was installed for free and my electricity is free for this year. Public charging is also free. All tolls will have a 50% discount soon and M50 (relevant to me) will be 75% discount off peak
    • How did you manage to get a years supply of free electricity in your home?
    • Where did you hear those details about the tolls? That's the first time I've seen any details. Do you have any further information about tolls for EV's?

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I got a fixed price deal with Just Energy, based on my proven electricity use of the year before (where I did not have an EV). So basically all my car charging is free.

And the tolls details were announced by the minister a few weeks ago in some detail. Here's the link:

linky

Why are you on electric car forum if you think it is madness?

I could answer all of the "posts" above but why should I....

Go around in circles, see you in a few years when hopefully you will release what everyone else has on this forum.....I ain't going to tell you what it is, it's more fun letting you find out for yourself :D

No one asked u to answer

Kona 64kWh is expensive

Have u got that part?

Release?

Suuussshhhh don't tell them....they are young, they are not ready for it yet.....soon they will realise :p

The Ioniq is good value

Its 25k and price competitive for its segment

Don't get your are attempt at sarcasm

Whats your point?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Kona 64kWh is expensive

How much is it?

No one asked u to answer

Kona 64kWh is expensive

Have u got that part?

Release?

How much would a similar ICE car with similar power output cost? That's 201 bhp - it's hot hatch territory...

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Jasper79

The Ioniq is good value

Its 25k and price competitive for its segment

Don't get your are attempt at sarcasm

Whats your point?

Just curious is it 25k after grants or is that with scrappage ?

Would seriously consider one if could get for that price OTR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Jasper79 wrote: »
    Just curious is it 25k after grants or is that with scrappage ?

Would seriously consider one if could get for that price OTR.

You won't get one here for 25k.
    I tried.

You will get one in the UK for that and there's no VRT.
    2017 models here go for 26-28k. There was a new 2018 white listed at 29k but that's gone now.
    This is the only Ioniq BEV on Dondeal now

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ioniq-electric-ev-call-liam-087-65246/18624436

• Advertisement
Advertisement