Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

https://bonpost.com/cars/hyundai-kona-ev-prototype-2018-first-drive-of-electric-suv.html

Another review of the Kona Electric. Range claims seem to be holding up , reviewer saying 300 mile ( 480 km ) not a problem, can
    possibly do a bit more

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ready to order today in Norway for deliveries in July. 64kWh high spec model is 326k NOK, which is €34k. But that's without VAT. So in Ireland it will be roughly 34k + 23% VAT -/- €5k subsidy (no VRT) so about €36k-€37k

They don't seem to get the lower end Kona EV (yet)

At least they are starting to move ,   I didnt think we would ever see them.  We should hopefully hear something soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

unkel wrote: »
    Ready to order today in Norway for deliveries in July. 64kWh high spec model is 326k NOK, which is €34k. But that's without VAT. So in Ireland it will be roughly 34k + 23% VAT -/- €5k subsidy (no VRT) so about €36k-€37k

Hyundai Motor Norway decided to only offer the larger battery pack. This seems to be based on their experience with demand for the Ioniq, where the top model has proven very popular and very few people buy the base model.

They had to stop taking preorders in March, after 20,000 people had preordered.

Yeah it makes sense. Also EVs in Norway seem extremely cheap to the people over there. They are laughing all the way with a €35k small crossover EV as a lethargic diesel one would cost more to buy there!

To us it seems like a lot of money. Doesn't the base petrol Kona start at around €20k or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭Sabre Man

Yeah it makes sense. Also EVs in Norway seem extremely cheap to the people over there. They are laughing all the way with a €35k small crossover EV as a lethargic diesel one would cost more to buy there!

To us it seems like a lot of money. Doesn't the base petrol Kona start at around €20k or so?

About 26.5k euros for the cheapest model, reviewed here (in Norwegian):
    https://www.dn.no/privat/2018/02/27/2052/Biltesten/svingom-med-kona

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Close to 500km range for €34k. I ,and I suspect a lot of others, would love a piece of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,230 ✭✭✭jaxxx

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Close to 500km range for €34k. I ,and I suspect a lot of others, would love a piece of that.

500km range?? Flippin' hell, that's a full journey from the the south to the north tips with a few kms to spare! I'm thinking this is definitely go be my next car.

Nice write up here

includes pricing etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Sabre Man wrote: »
    About 26.5k euros for the cheapest model, reviewed here (in Norwegian):
    https://www.dn.no/privat/2018/02/27/2052/Biltesten/svingom-med-kona

Cheapest model = 1.0 petrol... :D

325k NOK for cheapest 64kWh - with all the VRT/SEAI incentives here it should cost more less the same here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Seeing as the Leaf is similar money and this has more range and a thermal system it should fly out the door

Hopefully anyway, then Kia will bring the Niro in as well and we will start having some choice

I can’t wait for test drive

Best to call Kia Ireland and not the dealers , when I called a few years ago about the soul ev they would not import due needing to import in large quantities they feared they wouldn’t sell, at least they were honest.

If I remember correctly they said in their opinion the soul ev was too expensive Compared to the prtrol or diesel.

Best to call Kia Ireland and not the dealers , when I called a few years ago about the soul ev they would not import due needing to import in large quantities they feared they wouldn’t sell, at least they were honest.

If I remember correctly they said in their opinion the soul ev was too expensive Compared to the prtrol or diesel.

Already in contact with Kia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Hmm,
    I'm in a pickle. Waiting on a new Leaf for July delivery. Since that is costing around the 34k mark and if the Kona was going to be available July/August timeframe I may cancel my order and jump there. I'll have to contact Hyundai also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Hyundai are definitely saying demo models soon and customer cars on the road by August.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

JackieChan wrote: »
    I'm in a pickle. Waiting on a new Leaf for July delivery. Since that is costing around the 34k mark and if the Kona was going to be available July/August timeframe I may cancel my order and jump there.
    Absolute no brainer in my opinion.

And given that the Kona and Niro will be a lot harder to get hold of than the Leaf, you should move quickly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

Would love to know what is happening with the Niro?
    Larger than the Kona, I would probably prefer it but I expect a huge demand for these cars, some people are going to be disappointed.

Are they saying the Kona will be available for purchase and delivery in Ireland by August ? Local Hyundai dealer in Limerick keeps telling me
    me demos in Oct to arrive the following January. Would love to see if it can do Derry to Cork on a single charge with run of the mill driving

• Advertisement

Thats 456km going via sligo and limerick. Would be awesome if it could or even one stop it ( which I'd be doing to pee stop anyway :D)

grogi wrote: »
    325k NOK for cheapest 64kWh - with all the VRT/SEAI incentives here it should cost more less the same here.

You're normally good with the auld sums, did you miss my post? Not quite the same cost here.

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Are they saying the Kona will be available for purchase and delivery in Ireland by August ? Local Hyundai dealer in Limerick keeps telling me
    me demos in Oct to arrive the following January. Would love to see if it can do Derry to Cork on a single charge with run of the mill driving

I have heard demo this year with delivery next

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Dglflyer wrote: »

Any of the ionic owners on here buy from Hyundai in Limerick? If so, could you pass on the name of the dealer who does the EV stuff? Been in once or twice and the guys I usually get have less than zero interest when I mention electric

Limerick Motors, ask for Kieran , he gets it .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I'm getting dangerously tempted to break my rule about never buying a new car. The Niro and Kona are calling to me.

• Advertisement

The rulebook has changed. You might as well throw it out. There is very little depreciation the last year or so on any EV, new or second hand. I don't expect that to change any time soon. You won't know yourself being able to do almost 500km in a 64kW Kona instead of just a tad over 100km in your Leaf :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

You're normally good with the auld sums, did you miss my post? Not quite the same cost here.

You're getting very touchy... €36k or €34k - that is, quoting myself, more-less the same.

We are just guessing at that stage, trying to figure out if the price will be in the low thirties, mid thirties, low forties or inadequate. It seems that much more depends on how much Kia will want to charge for it here...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

You're getting very touchy... €36k or €34k - that is, quoting myself, more-less the same.

We are just guessing at that stage, trying to figure out if the price will be in the low thirties, mid thirties, low forties or inadequate. It seems that much more depends on how much Kia will want to charge for it here...
    Can't see it being mid thirties or less.
    If it's €35k in Norway I'd suggest it will be €40k give or take a k here.

I would think Hyundai need to review pricing, 37k would be too much.

The cost of living in Norway is higher than in Ireland so I would hope the car is priced higher in Norway, also Hyundai know they will sell in Norway

In Ireland I would hope they have the 39kWh price at 30k, same price as the high end Kona.

Then have the 64kWh at maybe 4k more. Maybe smaller margin but should sell like hot cakes at those prices

The problem I see if advertisement....nobody outside of the Electric car people have any idea this car is coming out.....hyundai dealers seem to know less than this forum....

Hopefully this is the plan and when it becomes available they will push it out to market, I would hate this car not to sell well, it doesn't bode well for other car manufacturers if this is a flop

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would think Hyundai need to review pricing, 37k would be too much.

The cost of living in Norway is higher than in Ireland so I would hope the car is priced higher in Norway, also Hyundai know they will sell in Norway

In Ireland I would hope they have the 39kWh price at 30k, same price as the high end Kona.

Then have the 64kWh at maybe 4k more. Maybe smaller margin but should sell like hot cakes at those prices

The problem I see if advertisement....nobody outside of the Electric car people have any idea this car is coming out.....hyundai dealers seem to know less than this forum....

Hopefully this is the plan and when it becomes available they will push it out to market, I would hate this car not to sell well, it doesn't bode well for other car manufacturers if this is a flop

I agree 37k is too much, especially for a non premium marque like Hyundai.
    But I can't see it being less than the Norwegian price here. The same is possible as the new leaf etc is similarly priced there and here.

I reckon it will be north of 35k. And they won't be able to sell many - similar to the Ioniq - due to battery supply issues.

Which is a pity, because a 64kWh Hyundai with the efficient drivetrain and active thermal management with liquid cooling should be well able for over 400km in the real world. And that, would truly be a game changer. And a year+ before the model 3 is on the market.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

I sat in a Kona at an event yesterday. It had vented, electric leather seats and seemed to have all the toys, but it had no screen to speak of in the infotainment system and all the switches were plastic and basic feeling. Nothing like the feel of the Ioniq at all, which has quality switches and trim. If the top end Kona looks the same inside, it won't attract me. The Kia Niro felt better in the cabin.

The dealers at the event had no idea if the long range Kona will even be brought to Ireland.

Incidentally, I had a good conversation with the Nissan "EV guy" at their stand. I told him that I had bought an Ioniq, having swerved away from the Leaf when I heard about the battery problems. He put on a brave face at first, but ended up agreeing that Nissan had made a serious mistake bringing the Leaf to market with the battery overheating problem. We both agreed that it won't be an issue for most owners, but it compromises the car.

Hope this works as on iPhone

Sold out in Norway

prices are not that much higher than the base conventional version of the Kona – 254,900 NOK ($31,140):

Kona Electric 64 kWh Technology 325,900 NOK ($39,813)
    Kona Electric 64 kWh Technology with leather interior 335,900 NOK ($41,035)
    Kona Electric 64 kWh Technology 345,900 NOK ($42,256)
    Metallic paint costs: 345,900 NOK ($598)
    Prices include guiding shipping and delivery costs of NOK 10,900, delivered to Drammen.
    Just as a reminder, spec of both versions are as follows:

Short-range Battery / Motor spec:

39.2 kWh battery – 300 km (186 miles) range (WLTP)
    99 kW, 395 Nm electric motor (front-wheel drive)
    0-62 mph (100 kmh) in 9.3 seconds
    104 mph (167 km/h) top speed
    7.2 kW on-board charger and 100 kW CCS Combo DC fast charging capability
    Long-range Battery / Motor spec:

64 kWh battery – 470 km (292 miles) range (WLTP)
    150 kW, 395 Nm electric motor (front-wheel drive)
    0-62 mph (100 kmh) in 7.6 seconds

I sat in a Kona at an event yesterday. It had vented, electric leather seats and seemed to have all the toys, but it had no screen to speak of in the infotainment system and all the switches were plastic and basic feeling. Nothing like the feel of the Ioniq at all, which has quality switches and trim. If the top end Kona looks the same inside, it won't attract me. The Kia Niro felt better in the cabin.

The dealers at the event had no idea if the long range Kona will even be brought to Ireland.

Incidentally, I had a good conversation with the Nissan "EV guy" at their stand. I told him that I had bought an Ioniq, having swerved away from the Leaf when I heard about the battery problems. He put on a brave face at first, but ended up agreeing that Nissan had made a serious mistake bringing the Leaf to market with the battery overheating problem. We both agreed that it won't be an issue for most owners, but it compromises the car.

Dealer hasn’t a clue....

I know more than he does which is shocking

Dealer hasn’t a clue....

I know more than he does which is shocking
    I'd guess that the same is true for anyone who owns an EV already.
    Dealers are not interested when it comes to EV.

Hope this works as on iPhone

Sold out in Norway

prices are not that much higher than the base conventional version of the Kona – 254,900 NOK ($31,140):

Kona Electric 64 kWh Technology 325,900 NOK ($39,813)
    Kona Electric 64 kWh Technology with leather interior 335,900 NOK ($41,035)
    Kona Electric 64 kWh Technology 345,900 NOK ($42,256)
    Metallic paint costs: 345,900 NOK ($598)
    Prices include guiding shipping and delivery costs of NOK 10,900, delivered to Drammen.
    Just as a reminder, spec of both versions are as follows:

Short-range Battery / Motor spec:

39.2 kWh battery – 300 km (186 miles) range (WLTP)
    99 kW, 395 Nm electric motor (front-wheel drive)
    0-62 mph (100 kmh) in 9.3 seconds
    Long-range Battery / Motor spec:

64 kWh battery – 470 km (292 miles) range (WLTP)
    150 kW, 395 Nm electric motor (front-wheel drive)
    0-62 mph (100 kmh) in 7.6 seconds
    So that's 39-42k USD , 33-36k EUR.
    I'd be surprised if that's the price range here for the 64kWh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

https://youtu.be/DAoy8LcR5yI

Haven't a clue what they are saying, even with subtitles.

Interesting anyway..

This thing should be able to a Derry to Cork (Dork ) run on a single charge for 4.50 euro using night rates, hard to believe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Flyer, what do you want to come down here, for? It'll be just €4.50 for you, the other way, as well. That would be a nice holiday. A week here, motoring costs, under €20. Hey big spender.

Purely a sacrifice in the name of science

We are just guessing at that stage, trying to figure out if the price will be in the low thirties, mid thirties, low forties or inadequate.

No offence meant :)

I guess we'll just have to wait and see and hope the base price before taxes is set lower in Ireland as the price of ICE cars here is far cheaper than in Norway making EVs look expensive here. I agree I hope the 64kWh would come in at not much more than €35k on the road.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Since I did the table working out the comparative costs between a petrol and electric Kona the price of petrol has gone up around 15c.

The 15c/l equates to about €1 for every 100km.

So effectively an average person would now be paying an extra €170 per year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Hi,

Do you know what you worked out the cents per kilometer as on the electric Kona?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Hi,

Do you know what you worked out the cents per kilometer as on the electric Kona?

Here's the calculations, https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106710780

The electric Kona worked out at around €1.23/100km based on charging with a night rate meter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

My Ice Diesel does 5.6l/100km. That's just 50mpg. Costed out at €7.77/100km.
    Next model will be long range EV, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Anybody hear about when the test vehicles will come in? I was told June but have heard nothing since...

Hi Hugh,

Thanks for getting in touch and sorry for the late reply. Hyundai Ireland hopes to be issuing prices before the end of this month, together with information regarding availability.

Thanks,
    The Hyundai Ireland Team

That was this afternoon , Mon 11 Jul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,422 ✭✭✭positron

More videos from Korea, looks like normal folks are getting their deliveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIis5ipms3A

A lot of interesting views on this video. For instance, checkout the underside of the car around 26m25s, is that battery, looking very low and very ready to be damaged driving off a kerb?

• Advertisement

It does seem to be sticking out all right ...

Advertisement