Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Did that guessometer at 3:22 predict 495km?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

looks like it , he was just driving it off the lot

Skimmed through it all, did I miss something or did that guy not reverse at all during his test/review?

I really want to see the rear camera setup as the lack of 360 degree cameras will make it a hard sell for my wife.

Teach her to drive without cameras ffs lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Skimmed through it all, did I miss something or did that guy not reverse at all during his test/review?

I really want to see the rear camera setup as the lack of 360 degree cameras will make it a hard sell for my wife.

I would guess it is the same system they use in all the current Hyundai's.

So when you flick into reverse you use te rear view mirror. Do they use that in Ioniq? I can't remember.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would guess it is the same system they use in all the current Hyundai's.

So when you flick into reverse you use te rear view mirror. Do they use that in Ioniq? I can't remember.....
    Ioniq has rear backup camera but not 360.
    From the positioning of the camera I would guess it is located near the number plate, havent looked.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Ioniq has rear backup camera but not 360.
    From the positioning of the camera I would guess it is located near the number plate, havent looked.

Yes but the picture pops up in Mirror?

I can't remember from test drive

I know I had a i40 and iXX something before when car was in for service. Both had reverse camera and the picture would come up in rear view mirror

I think the mirror option is only in cars without a full screen.

This Ioniq review shows the reverse camera at 8:10, on the dash.

https://youtu.be/HMJGJK1PLvA

I know I had a i40 and iXX something before when car was in for service. Both had reverse camera and the picture would come up in rear view mirror
    No, it comes up in the screen.
    Never heard of it coming up in the mirror.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

I saw an early test drive of the Leaf 40 in Japan where the rear view mirror turned into a screen for the reversing camera. I don't think it made it to here though.

• Advertisement

On the older hyundai without the screen it came up in the rear view mirror....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice, from the second video it looks like I can get the golf clubs in the boot which is a requirement for me....

And I can get 1 dog and 7 cats in there with the back seats down...

Every video I have seen it is always that colour....not sure why they wouldn't have a few in red or black...

Not sure about the interior in that light grey.....

Small issues to be complaining about to be honest :-)

The interior is 100 times better to the petrol one I sat into.....Thank God

You reackon ? I don't think it's nice inside at all looking at the pics.

If I sit in an EV I might have a different opinion.

You reackon ? I don't think it's nice inside at all looking at the pics.

If I sit in an EV I might have a different opinion.

It's a 100 times better.....the petrol I sat into was, lets just say not great.....

If it is the grey interior as I mentioned to put it mildly I am not sure:p

I would need to sit into it to make a final decision because the video quality isn't great.....

Based on this video and after sitting into the Niro, I would prefer the Niro....

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Will the EV have a Leaf type App?

slave1 wrote: »
    Will the EV have a Leaf type App?

From what I read the current Ioniq doesn’t....one of the main questions for dealer on test drive

App is handy but not essential

I use eGolf app in winter to turn on /off heating, that’s about it

Not having app is bad form really, not essential but very handy, I can set timers in the i3 so easily, if I forgot to set on for instance I can just easily do it on the mobile or web too, so if they have no app then a website is handy too.

Being able to see if the doors are locked and windows closed is handy if you're not sure also the good one is being able to send GPS coordinates or plan route and send it without having to touch the car is dead handy, I'd really miss that.

So yeah, app isn't essential but bloody convenient.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

positron wrote: »
    More videos from Korea, looks like normal folks are getting their deliveries.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIis5ipms3A

A lot of interesting views on this video. For instance, checkout the underside of the car around 26m25s, is that battery, looking very low and very ready to be damaged driving off a kerb?

That's the definition of a modern SUV - big wheels and complete lack of clearance...

Not having app is bad form really, not essential but very handy, I can set timers in the i3 so easily, if I forgot to set on for instance I can just easily do it on the mobile or web too, so if they have no app then a website is handy too.

Being able to see if the doors are locked and windows closed is handy if you're not sure also the good one is being able to send GPS coordinates or plan route and send it without having to touch the car is dead handy, I'd really miss that.

So yeah, app isn't essential but bloody convenient.

Are we not agreeing? :p

The added bonus on eGolf is you can track the car from the app. It loads up a google map like system with exact position of car....handy if thoe pesky robbers make off with

If Kona does not have app, it wouldn't be a show stopper but a major negative

Ioniq doesn't have an app in the EU. I'd guess Kona will be the same.
    Its the one major negative with the Ioniq, coming from a leaf where the app was crap UX wise but still got the job done.

The app is handy for remote AC activation and for monitoring the SOC at a slow charger (eg at work) but it's not a game breaker. You forget that mass market EV crossover/faux SUV will be competing with the likes of the Qashqai and ix35. These are not luxury SUV and for some even come with windy windows in the back and steel wheels!

Are we not agreeing? :p

The added bonus on eGolf is you can track the car from the app. It loads up a google map like system with exact position of car....handy if thoe pesky robbers make off with

If Kona does not have app, it wouldn't be a show stopper but a major negative

Can track the i3 too, was funny when herself took the car shopping one day and I asked her why she detoured on the way home haha, she was surprised. Can't remember why she took it again because she never wants to drive it, think the Child seats were in it and she didn't want to move them to her car. :)

I'm not so sure the lack of an app would deter many EV newbies, they're not going to know any better.

I think the greatest surprise most people will get with the Kona is the poke, it will be a pretty fast little car and vastly superior to any Diesel engine that Hyundai would install.

Power for peanuts and at least Hyundai get it, unlike Renault which still live in the day of tiny underpowered engine = better economy which isn't always the case, a small engine has to be driven harder , so they have a 14 second 0-100 Km/h Zoe and a slower 75 Hp version FFS so fair play to Hyundai.

What the FWD is like is anyone's guess, it certainly won't have the grip of RWD but will it be as bad as the Leaf 40 Kwh ? that was funny , any form of damp road and what's a quoted 8.5 seconds or whatever 0-100 time turns out to be well over 10 seconds and then going around bends with max throttle coming out of a bend for instance is a huge no no but in fairness to the Leaf the EC300 tyres are rubbish in damp and wet but even in dry spots the FWD struggles with the torque and weight.

I would hope the Kona is different because it's not fun when you fell like you're driving on ice !

Found this on speakev.com
    speakev wrote:
    Prices 14/6/18 for Kona EV in Germany (google translate for full details)

Hyundai gibt Preise für Kona Elektro bekannt

Available in the equipment lines Trend, Style and Premium
    The entry is the Kona Electric Trend with 100 kW / 136 hp for 34,600 euros. Here are already the Hyundai SmartSense assistance systems such as Attentiveness Assistant, the city emergency braking function and the active lane assist with steering intervention included. The standard comfort extras include, for example, power windows front and rear, an 8-inch navigation device with Krell sound system with eight speakers and the rear view camera. With the larger battery and the more powerful electric motor costs the Kona Elektro Trend from 39,000 euros.

The average equipment line Style with 100 kW / 136 hp from 38,100 euros and with 150 kW / 204 hp from 42,500 euros also offers, among other fabric / leather seats with heated seats, darkened windows from the B-pillar, a rain sensor and an automatically dimming rear view mirror ,

The top model Kona Elektro Premium with 150 kW / 204 hp can be ordered from 45.600 Euro. The comprehensive "Premium" standard equipment includes equipment that is already standard on the Trend or Style range, including the head-up display, leather seats with heated and ventilated front seats, the traffic jam assistant, the traffic warner and a Blind Spot Assist.

Visually, the Hyundai Kona Elektro stands out from the variants with internal combustion engine mainly by the closed radiator grille and the aerodynamic 17-inch alloy wheels.

There are seven body colors for the Hyundai Kona Electric: Chalk White, Dark Knight, Tangerine Comet, Ceramic Blue, Pulse Red, Acid Yellow and Galactic Gray. On request, a roof paint in Chalk White is available.

Pioneering role in alternative andenvironmentally friendly drives
    Hyundai is continually expanding the variety of alternative drive models. By 2020, Hyundai plans to bring 15 alternative drive models to the German market. In August, for example, the second series generation of the fuel cell vehicle, the Hyundai Nexo, celebrates its market premiere. In the revamped Hyundai Tucson, the 2.0-liter diesel engine will be paired with a fuel-efficient 48-volt mild hybrid, which will save up to seven percent fuel. In addition, until 1 September 2018, and thus one year before the legal requirement, Hyundai will convert all passenger car model series with internal combustion engines to the currently strictest Euro 6d-Temp emission standard.

Consumption and emission 

These declared consumption and CO2 emission values were determined according to the prescribed WLTP measurement method and converted into NEDC values.

Electricity consumption in kWh / 100 km for the Hyundai Kona Elektro: combined 14,3-13,9; CO2 emissions in g / km combined: 0; CO2 efficiency class: A

35K 45-10K vrt + grant.

petrol 21K ? does the EV stand a chance against that ? think from a non EV enthusiast point of view.

Yeah I was thinking that, I'm not so up to speed on the grant figures but I thought it was €10k less in total.

Nearly choked when I saw €45.6 for the top spec!

Now if they would just offer scrappage on it we'd be in business...

And no, from a non EV driver, that isn't going to convert many I suspect. But for an EV driver, I'm tempted.

However isn't the bottom level, Trend starting at €25k after grants? Assuming that's the 39kWh version isn't that a better car than the 40kwh Leaf and a fair bit cheaper?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The exact same Ioniq isn't available in Germany, but ours is probably closest to the Ioniq Style which is €5,500 more than the €30,000 Irish Price. That's about a 15% difference in price.

If they follow a similar model I'd expect the Irish Kona's to be available for €32,850 and €36,100. Which isn't far off what we've predicting.

@Mad_Lad why are you comparing the bottom spec Kona Petrol vs a comparatively high spec Kona Electric. That's like asking why don't people buy a Nissan Pulsar instead of the Leaf.

I will point once again to the comparison post where we attempted to compare like for like.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=106710780

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

liamog wrote: »
    If they follow a similar model I'd expect the Irish Kona's to be available for €32,850 and €36,100. Which isn't far off what we've predicting.
    Liam is that the price after the grants?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

JackieChan wrote: »
    Liam is that the price after the grants?

Pretty much, it's just an educated guess though.

Anybody more in the know care to speculate whether the Niro is likely to be more expensive as its bigger, less expensive as its a Kia, or much the same?

Anybody more in the know care to speculate whether the Niro is likely to be more expensive as its bigger, less expensive as its a Kia, or much the same?

My train of thought....which could be 100% wrong.....the Niro is a bit bigger so should be a little extra but Kia have always under priced compared to Hyundai so they should level out and be more or less the same cost

35K 45-10K vrt + grant.

petrol 21K ? does the EV stand a chance against that ? think from a non EV enthusiast point of view.

The 21k is the base model petrol Kona

You would want to start with the Executive model to get close to specin the electric. That is starting at 23k.

So the starting Kona Electric is 34,600 - 10k? is that correct?

So it would be 24600?

In that case the base line BEV should fly out door....

But maybe my numbers are wrong?

• Advertisement

So the 3 trim levels are Trend, Style and Premium.

Trend 39kWh - €34,600
    Trend 64kWh - €39,000

Style 39kWh - €38,100
    Style 64kWh - €42,500

Premium 64kWh - €45,600

I don't think they make the premium in the 39kWh version.

And chop €10k off those prices for the grants.

If the Irish prices come in around the same, we'd be looking at €24,600 up to €35,600.

Those sub €25k cars would be gone in a heart beat.

liamog wrote: »
    @Mad_Lad why are you comparing the bottom spec Kona Petrol vs a comparatively high spec Kona Electric. That's like asking why don't people buy a Nissan Pulsar instead of the Leaf.

Because isn't that what the majority of Irish drivers go for though in reality ? again, I'm talking non EV enthusiast, i.e 99.5% of Irish drivers.

The 21k is the base model petrol Kona

You would want to start with the Executive model to get close to specin the electric. That is starting at 23k.

So the starting Kona Electric is 34,600 - 10k? is that correct?

So it would be 24600?

In that case the base line BEV should fly out door....

But maybe my numbers are wrong?

But it's not the spec that most people care about it's the list price of the car, most people go for more basic spec cars, a lot of people would rather a basic cheap to run Ev than an expensive cheap to run EV so I feel the petrol will be a far more popular option. I hope I'm wrong, really I do.

I go back to the Zoe V Clio , a close comparison, most clios were 1.2 basic petrols and sold in far greater numbers.

You could argue that the low range and battery rental turned off a lot of people.

Now if people are expected to buy the 39 Kwh or whatever more basic EV Kona then you're talking lower range again which is a turn off for a lot of people, 60 Kwh is the minimum, the absolute bare minimum to try coax people into ev so you got the same thing here, cheap petrol version v expensive EV version v less expensive version but lower range.

It will be interesting to see what people choose , I really hope that it's a popular car because the tech and spec is good but the damn price is not, well I don't think it is for people that want a cheap car and will people really pay premium prices for a Hyundai ? again, the majority of people just want a car not caring about EV.

The premium for the electric model is around 5 to 6k if they offered a Kona Comfort Electric for 26k it would fly out of the doors.
    Unfortunately Hyundai don't have enough battery manufacturing capacity to feed that many sales, so they can effectively ignore the low end of the market.

They have around 20,000 worldwide capacity, better to sell the higher margin models when you're capacity constrained. When Hyundai do it, it's lack of commitment to EVs when Tesla do the same with the model 3 it's an intelligent way to scale production.

The premium is 5-6 K for the 38 Kwh you mean ?

• Advertisement

I am getting more and more confused.....are we still at 30k for the entry 39kWh version?

So the 3 trim levels are Trend, Style and Premium.

Trend 39kWh - €34,600
    Trend 64kWh - €39,000

Style 39kWh - €38,100
    Style 64kWh - €42,500

Premium 64kWh - €45,600

I don't think they make the premium in the 39kWh version.

And chop €10k off those prices for the grants.

If the Irish prices come in around the same, we'd be looking at €24,600 up to €35,600.

Those sub €25k cars would be gone in a heart beat.

Typically those take the VRT relief into account, which only leaves the SEAI grant of €5000 to be chopped of.

The premium is 5-6 K for the 38 Kwh you mean ?

No, I'm saying it looks like after grants and reductions it costs an extra 5 to 6k for an electric model compared to a roughly equivalent petrol model.
    Using this we can extrapolate that if Hyundai introduced a Kona Electric Comfort it would cost €5,000 more than the current Kona Petrol Comfort.
    As it stands it would appear that Hyundai have no need to do this.

Based on the German prices, I'd predict an after grant price of €33,000 and €36,000 Kona Electric in Ireland, with a spec roughly equivalent to the Style spec in Germany.

DrPhilG
       I am confused , how are you coming up with 10k of deductions number ( I thought the grant was only 5k )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

But it's not the spec that most people care about it's the list price of the car, most people go for more basic spec cars, a lot of people would rather a basic cheap to run Ev than an expensive cheap to run EV so I feel the petrol will be a far more popular option. I hope I'm wrong, really I do.

I go back to the Zoe V Clio , a close comparison, most clios were 1.2 basic petrols and sold in far greater numbers.

You could argue that the low range and battery rental turned off a lot of people.

Now if people are expected to buy the 39 Kwh or whatever more basic EV Kona then you're talking lower range again which is a turn off for a lot of people, 60 Kwh is the minimum, the absolute bare minimum to try coax people into ev so you got the same thing here, cheap petrol version v expensive EV version v less expensive version but lower range.

It will be interesting to see what people choose , I really hope that it's a popular car because the tech and spec is good but the damn price is not, well I don't think it is for people that want a cheap car and will people really pay premium prices for a Hyundai ? again, the majority of people just want a car not caring about EV.

I respectfully disagree..... and you (and most of us to a lesser degree) are personally walking talking proof of why I disagree.
    You're driving a crazily priced, suicide door, four seater, with a built in generator...and in your humble opinion it's possibly one of the best cars in the history of the world...(and I'm genuinely not taking the piss). I think that the average punter is more intelligent and disconcerting that you are willing to believe. Otherwise the Nissan Tilda or some other box if ****e would be the biggest selling car in Ireland.

If the prices are out in Germany they should be out here soon

Dglflyer wrote: »
    DrPhilG
       I am confused , how are you coming up with 10k of deductions number ( I thought the grant was only 5k )
    I'm going by this:
    35K 45-10K vrt + grant.

I'm going by this:

But Germans don't have VRT at all. And lower VAT...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Dglflyer wrote: »
    DrPhilG

Indeed and once you go beyond €35k, the VRT will be more than the €5k grant.

The difference between the VAT rates in Germany and Ireland adds another 3.4% to the final price.

After crunching DrPhilG's numbers with this, the following could be reasonable Irish prices (with all grants factored in):

Trend 39kWh - €30,800
    Trend 64kWh - €36,000

Style 39kWh - €35,100
    Style 64kWh - €40,000

Premium 64kWh - €43,800

Am I correct in saying that the only difference between premium and style is  sunroof  ?

The prices are getting up there unfortunately....

• Advertisement
Advertisement