Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

liamog wrote: »
    Not sure why you think that's obvious at all, signs so far point to around 36k
    36 or 40, either way it's too expensive.
    Yet another feather in the bow of the OEMs claiming that EVs don't sell en masse.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

@36k your paying 6k more than the equivalent petrol version for a car with 20kW more power and 130 Nm more torque.
    An average mileage Irish driver would save ~€1600 per year between fuel and tax.

For me the question is, over a 3 year PCP, is the electric worth €1,200 more for the faster car, and convenience of charging at home?
    If you're planning on keeping it for more than 3 years 9 months, the car has covered the extra up front cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

If I do buy either the Kona or Niro new I'll be holding into it for 5-6 years.

I could wait for a second hand 40kwh Leaf in the next year, probably still cost well north if €20k, but I'd be itching to change in a few years.

A Kona/Niro would meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

@36k your paying 6k more than the equivalent petrol version for a car with 20kW more power and 130 Nm more torque.
    An average mileage Irish driver would save ~€1600 per year between fuel and tax.

For me the question is, over a 3 year PCP, is the electric worth €1,200 more for the faster car, and convenience of charging at home?
    If you're planning on keeping it for more than 3 years 9 months, the car has covered the extra up front cost.
    The sums may work out, of course.
    But that's not the same as people buying it.
    The sums work for leafs etc now too but you dont see people buying them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

DrPhilG wrote: »
    If I do buy either the Kona or Niro new I'll be holding into it for 5-6 years.

I could wait for a second hand 40kwh Leaf in the next year, probably still cost well north if €20k, but I'd be itching to change in a few years.

A Kona/Niro would meet my needs for the foreseeable future.

I would agree. If buying I would hold on for a long as possible, it would meet all my requirements. No need to swap to reduce tax/fuel costs etc. Buy highest spec so you get all the little features you want. With the distance of 300+km I have more than I ever need.

Exactly, a top spec Niro or Kona meets all my needs (not my wife's parking issues though) and with the minimal depreciation on EVs at the minute I can certainly justify the price.

My own car is worth €9-10k, by the end of the year I'll have about €8k saved from my reeuced fuel costs since going electric.

The rest, I'll look for finance deals.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

ELM327 wrote: »
    The sums may work out, of course.
    But that's not the same as people buying it.
    The sums work for leafs etc now too but you dont see people buying them

I don't think they'll have any trouble selling the full production run this year.
    If you're going to sell them all, it's much better to concentrate on the high margin models.

Exactly, a top spec Niro or Kona meets all my needs (not my wife's parking issues though) and with the minimal depreciation on EVs at the minute I can certainly justify the price.

My own car is worth €9-10k, by the end of the year I'll have about €8k saved from my reeuced fuel costs since going electric.

The rest, I'll look for finance deals.

Take the Niro, If they done 0% on PCP like on the current PHEV then take it out on PCP depending on deal and then look after loan in year 3....depending on the number......

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1CR6Fu0m3g&t=933s

In Korean , but you get a good look at the battery.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Dglflyer wrote: »

OMG... That wiring looks more like from a Proof-of-concept car, not a production vehicle. Don't want to imagine how it behaves with salty mud covering it for majority of the year...

It really feels the Kona EV was an after-though rather than designed from the beginning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Take the Niro, If they done 0% on PCP like on the current PHEV then take it out on PCP depending on deal and then look after loan in year 3....depending on the number......

Why would they do 0% finance when this thing is a low production model that will sell out?

They are in the business of making money

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

That does look a bit worrying alright..

I presume they have taken a few protective covers off to make the video? Or have they?

eagerv wrote: »
    That does look a bit worrying alright..

I presume they have taken a few protective covers off to make the video? Or have they?

The huge battery bulging out well below the shocks and suspension is even more worrying. I hope they have some titanium plate protecting it.

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Why would they do 0% finance when this thing is a low production model that will sell out?

They are in the business of making money

They are also in the business of selling car....

But as I said in the post IF they do 0%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Dglflyer wrote:

Perhaps completely irrelevant but nice simple plank shape of the battery will make it super easy for third party battery manufacturers to build compatible battery packs. Again battery life doesnt seem to be a concern on general, but if it were to, due to rapid charging etc, its some silver lining I suppose.

I dont think so , what you see is what you get with

I don't think they'll have any trouble selling the full production run this year.
    If you're going to sell them all, it's much better to concentrate on the high margin models.
    If they only produce super low numbers like they did for the Ioniq EV then yeah they will sell them at 40k even.

But that's hardly their business model. Few cars at high margin?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,819 ✭✭✭creedp

grogi wrote: »
    OMG... That wiring looks more like from a Proof-of-concept car, not a production vehicle. Don't want to imagine how it behaves with salty mud covering it for majority of the year...

It really feels the Kona EV was an after-though rather than designed from the beginning.

Is that problem only related to the larger 64kwh battery .. maybe car was originally designed with 39 kwh battery in mind?

If they only produce super low numbers like they did for the Ioniq EV then yeah they will sell them at 40k even.

For the moment it is, they're constrained by battery supply to around 20,000 Kona's. Much better to sell 20,000 High End models than 20,000 Entry Level specs. There are rumours of a future Hyundai battery plant. For the moment the Ioniq and Kona are feet in the door until they can get up to speed.

• Advertisement

PCP is high margin, even at 0%.

Ok it is higher margin at 1 or 2% but they make more out of PCP at 0% than people getting loans from bank and buying the car straight from Kia/Hyundai.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

PCP is high margin, even at 0%.

Ok it is higher margin at 1 or 2% but they make more out of PCP at 0% than people getting loans from bank and buying the car straight from Kia/Hyundai.....

Explain how? For a big manufacturer finance house - anything basically under 5.9 or 6.0% costs money to borrow on current lending rates. On a €40,000 car - 0% would cost you the bones of €4,000 which is then offset against any money actually made on the car - ie normal margin.

So i dont see how you deem 0% PCP to be "high margin"? :confused:

RedorDead wrote: »
    Explain how? For a big manufacturer finance house - anything basically under 5.9 or 6.0% costs money to borrow on current lending rates. On a €40,000 car - 0% would cost you the bones of €4,000 which is then offset against any money actually made on the car - ie normal margin.

So i dont see how you deem 0% PCP to be "high margin"? :confused:

So your trying to tell me that every car company is losing money by selling PCP at under 5.9% interest?

I haven't seen a company selling PCP at interest rate at 5.9% or above.......so every car company is taking a hit by selling PCP? :confused:

So your trying to tell me that every car company is losing money by selling PCP at under 5.9% interest?

I haven't seen a company selling PCP at interest rate at 5.9% or above.......so every car company is taking a hit by selling PCP? :confused:
    Do you understand the concept of loss leaders?
    They take a small hit on the finance to get in more sales of the cars. People find 299 per month on 0% PCP a lot more palatable than having to get their own finance at 6-8%
    The price of the discount is often built into the cost of the car anyway

Do you understand the concept of loss leaders?
    They take a small hit on the finance to get in more sales of the cars. People find 299 per month on 0% PCP a lot more palatable than having to get their own finance at 6-8%
    The price of the discount is often built into the cost of the car anyway

Sorry but do you understand the concept of loss leaders?

Let's check the actually definition: a product sold at a loss to attract customers.

So are you trying to tell me that every car company that is selling PCP at under 5.9-6% is selling its products at a loss?

Just to help you along....read the below.....hence why 0% is not actually loss making which was my original point

Be wary of 0% deals - they can be too good to be true. Some dealers offer 0%. Take these deals with a pinch of salt though, as they are likely to try to recoup their losses somewhere else by, for example, inflating the ballon payment or making the ticket price more expensive than if you would have bought the car outright (where they would have been more likely to offer you a 'discount' on the ticket price).

Sorry but do you understand the concept of loss leaders?

Let's check the actually definition: a product sold at a loss to attract customers.

So are you trying to tell me that every car company that is selling PCP at under 5.9-6% is selling its FINANCE products at a loss? Just to help you along....read the below.....hence why 0% is not actually loss making which was my original pointBe wary of 0% deals - they can be too good to be true. Some dealers offer 0%. Take these deals with a pinch of salt though, as they are likely to try to recoup their losses somewhere else by, for example, inflating the ballon payment or making the ticket price more expensive than if you would have bought the car outright (where they would have been more likely to offer you a 'discount' on the ticket price).
    The cost of finance wholesale is more than 0%
    So they are either
    • Increasing the cost and margin on the car to cover finance costs
    • Using their own cash instead of financing (in which case the opportunity cost of said cash is worth more than 0%)
    • Taking the hit directly themselves

Are you naieve enough to believe that the cost of finance is 0% ?
    Money is a commodity and it comes at a cost.

• Advertisement

0% interest = poorer deal on car, less part exchange , higher list price.......

PCP = fantastic way to drive a car once you know how it works, not many people actually do. I'm on my 2nd PCP and am quite happy for now.

The cost of finance wholesale is more than 0%
    So they are either
    • Increasing the cost and margin on the car to cover finance costs
    • Using their own cash instead of financing (in which case the opportunity cost of said cash is worth more than 0%)
    • Taking the hit directly themselves

Are you naieve enough to believe that the cost of finance is 0% ?
    Money is a commodity and it comes at a cost.

What are you talking about? Honestly......

Are you just googling stuff and firing it out here?

A minute ago it was a loss leader......Now you are trying to say that 0% is profitable. Which is exactly the point I made a few posts ago

It was another poster who said 0% is not profitable and car company need to sell at 5.9%/6% to make it profitable......you should be quoting their post....not mine:rolleyes:

0% interest = poorer deal on car, less part exchange , higher list price.......

PCP = fantastic way to drive a car once you know how it works, not many people actually do. I'm on my 2nd PCP and am quite happy for now.

PCP depending on the circumstances works perfectly for some people.

0% mean you will be buying at list but it can work out cheaper than getting a loan from bank. You need to run the numbers yourself and work out which is cheaper. An easy task but most people just see a monthly cost and never think about it......

A minute ago it was a loss leader......Now you are trying to say that 0% is profitable. Which is exactly the point I made a few posts ago

It was another poster who said 0% is not profitable and car company need to sell at 5.9%/6% to make it profitable......you should be quoting their post....not mine:rolleyes:
    I never said 0% was profitable as a financial product. I said the opposite.
    What are you talking about? Honestly......

Are you just googling stuff and firing it out here?
    Ah would you ever just give over.
    You're always just arguing with me for no reason.
    I know you understand exactly what has been written.

Why would I google something with a qualification and gainful employment in finance & economics?

Look I'm just putting you on ignore from now on as you can't be spoken to, you find fault when it's not there with everything I say anyway.
    Have a good life.

PCP depending on the circumstances works perfectly for some people.

0% mean you will be buying at list but it can work out cheaper than getting a loan from bank. You need to run the numbers yourself and work out which is cheaper. An easy task but most people just see a monthly cost and never think about it......

Back when I got the leaf in 2015 the interest was a lot cheaper on PCP, This time with BMW it's much cheaper again and far better than bank loans.

• Advertisement

Can't remember if posted here before....NL have pricing out now

Dutch pricing now available. €39.195 for basic 64kWh version, €44.995 for Premium. Premium available in Netherlands from end of August, other versions and 40 kWh to follow in 2019

https://hyundai-pers.nl/hyundai-prijst-de-kona-electric/

No idea if we can work back from that to see what price could potentially be in Ireland.....

Ouch

What is the story in Holland regarding grants etc?

Dutch Ioniq similar spec to ours is €33,995

Put's the Dutch Kona around 5k more than Ioniq, still tracking towards 35-36k for Irish Basic Kona 64.

Ouch

What is the story in Holland regarding grants etc?

The Ioniq Comfort is 33,067 and the Premium is 36,567....

So not sure what the translates to Irish versions here....looks more expensive, is the BEV Ioniq 29k?

Dutch Priicng
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Drive Benzine 2WD € 21.546,90 € 22.295,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Comfort Benzine 2WD € 23.046,90 € 23.795,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Essence Benzine 2WD € 25.446,90 € 26.195,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Fashion Benzine 2WD € 26.746,90 € 27.495,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Premium Benzine 2WD € 31.146,90 € 31.895,-

Irish Pricing
    Kona Comfort 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 117 A4 200 €20,995
    Kona Executive 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €22,995
    Kona Premium 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €25,995
    Kona Premium DCT 1.6 T-GDI Petrol 153 C 390 €29,995
    Kona Executive with 2 Tone Roof 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €23,595
    Kona Premium with 2 Tone Roof 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €26,595
    Kona Premium DCT with 2 Tone Roof 1.6 T-GDI Petrol 153 C 390 €30,595

So buying a standard Kona is more or less the same price in NL if compared to here....so it depends if we get more grants to reduce the electric price

Officially Ioniq Premium here is 28,995 but you'll add another 1k to 1.5k for delivery.

The Dutch Comfort matches our Premium Spec, Dutch Premium is the UK Premium SE.
    I see 33,995 and 37,495 for the prices https://www.hyundai.nl/hyundai-ioniq-ev#features

Dutch Priicng
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Drive Benzine 2WD € 21.546,90 € 22.295,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Comfort Benzine 2WD € 23.046,90 € 23.795,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Essence Benzine 2WD € 25.446,90 € 26.195,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Fashion Benzine 2WD € 26.746,90 € 27.495,-
    1.0 T-GDI 6MT Premium Benzine 2WD € 31.146,90 € 31.895,-

Irish Pricing
    Kona Comfort 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 117 A4 200 €20,995
    Kona Executive 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €22,995
    Kona Premium 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €25,995
    Kona Premium DCT 1.6 T-GDI Petrol 153 C 390 €29,995
    Kona Executive with 2 Tone Roof 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €23,595
    Kona Premium with 2 Tone Roof 1.0 T-GDI Petrol 125 B1 270 €26,595
    Kona Premium DCT with 2 Tone Roof 1.6 T-GDI Petrol 153 C 390 €30,595

So buying a standard Kona is more or less the same price in NL if compared to here....so it depends if we get more grants to reduce the electric price

40k then for decent spec

Its expensive

17k more than executive Kona 125bhp

I know its a little slower and might have less features, going to take a long time to get 17k back in fuel savings

That bites.... 
    The concept sounds great,  travel from Derry to Cork for less that a fiver , or free if you use the charging network ..
    Damn near zero maintenance .... 
    no oil changes, no spark plugs ,  no brake pads to change ,   no worn clutches to deal with ,   leaky radiators,  blown head gaskets ,   timing belts,  How do you put a price on these

That bites.... 
    The concept sounds great,  travel from Derry to Cork for less that a fiver , or free if you use the charging network ..
    no oil changes, no spark plugs ,  no brake pads to change ,   no worn clutches to deal with ,   leaky radiators,  blown head gaskets ,   timing belts,  How do you put a price on these

Warranty for most of it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

That bites.... 

Jeez, I'm mentally ticking each of those that have caused me problems.
    Stand out issues, spark plugged seared off when BIL was helping me change them. Had to have the head removed to sort it out!

Another time head gasket went and the engineering place that was going to skim it had a robbery, 70 odd heads were stolen for some bizarre reason. Mine showed up a week later in Wexford (I'm in midlands)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,200 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

EVs have brake pads albeit with longer intervals depending on driving style and regen habits.

That bites....
    The concept sounds great, travel from Derry to Cork for less that a fiver , or free if you use the charging network ..
    no oil changes, no spark plugs , no brake pads to change , no worn clutches to deal with , leaky radiators, blown head gaskets , timing belts, How do you put a price on these

With the Galaxy I got a service contract thrown in which cost 300 quid when I bought. This covers the car for 3 years for main parts

I forgot about it, the wheel bearing went and brought it to garage, repair and man hours was covered with the contract.....

So to replace all of those on a diesel galaxy costs 300 to cover for 3 years:p

Of course if brand new all of these would be covered for a number of years anyway

40k then for decent spec

Its expensive

17k more than executive Kona 125bhp

I know its a little slower and might have less features, going to take a long time to get 17k back in fuel savings

When you think you can buy a Santa Fei for 42k plus delivery......

I do see you can now register your interest in Kona on the Hyundai website

The decent spec Leaf40 is €39,890 in The Netherlands.

Why would anybody buy a Leaf40 for €39,890 over the Nissan Pulsar @€;20,994, it's going to take a long time to save that €18,896 on fuel and maintenance.

The decent spec Leaf40 is €39,890 in The Netherlands.

Why would anybody buy a Leaf40 for €39,890 over the Nissan Pulsar @€;20,994, it's going to take a long time to save that €18,896 on fuel and maintenance.

Good point

Especially a banger like the Leaf40, cant even do a long trip without battery overheating

Imagine buying a brand new ICE in 1980s for 40k and the thing went into limp mode and fueled slowly after a long trip

Good point

Especially a banger like the Leaf40, cant even do a long trip without battery overheating

Imagine buying a brand new ICE in 1980s for 40k and the thing went into limp mode and fueled slowly after a long trip

It would appear you missed the point, a top spec Nissan Leaf in Ireland is not €39,890. The advertised price is €32,600.
    We've have incentives that dramatically impact the price, leading to the examples seen for both the Ioniq and Leaf of price differences in the 5-7000 range compared to NL.

As to comparing a well specced model against an entry level spec and wondering why the cost is different, well you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work that one out.
    At a similar spec, the currently available EVs in Ireland have an approximate 3 year pay off due to savings.

I get it, you probably want a 1000km range Dacia Sandero Alternative for the same price as the current petrol model. Someday that may be possible, fortunately the market is much bigger than those who want cheap no-spec cars with unrealistic ranges.

It would appear you missed the point, a top spec Nissan Leaf in Ireland is not €39,890. The advertised price is €32,600.
    We've have incentives that dramatically impact the price, leading to the examples seen for both the Ioniq and Leaf of price differences in the 5-7000 range compared to NL.

As to comparing a well specced model against an entry level spec and wondering why the cost is different, well you don't need to be a rocket scientist to work that one out.
    At a similar spec, the currently available EVs in Ireland have an approximate 3 year pay off due to savings.

I get it, you probably want a 1000km range Dacia Sandero Alternative for the same price as the current petrol model. Someday that may be possible, fortunately the market is much bigger than those who want cheap no-spec cars with unrealistic ranges.

I have registered my interest with Hyundai, I must check Hyundai uk tomor and see can you do similar.....

Until the uk release pricing we won’t be seeing anything.....

I think I have to give up speculating on the price....just going to have to wait and see

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

I have registered my interest with Hyundai, I must check Hyundai uk tomor and see can you do similar.....

Until the uk release pricing we won’t be seeing anything.....

I think I have to give up speculating on the price....just going to have to wait and see

Throw up the link here. If more people register an interest in the Kona EV, maybe Hyundai Ireland might look for a bigger allocation. No harm to try.

Throw up the link here. If more people register an interest in the Kona EV, maybe Hyundai Ireland might look for a bigger allocation. No harm to try.

http://www.hyundai.ie/home/

On home page it has option to click on register your interest

• Advertisement

WTF , did I read this right

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/06/22/hyundai-kona-electric-gets-6969-firm-orders-from-norwegians-in-first-two-weeks/

So when will customers in Norway receive their cars? Stenbo counsels patience. “We understand that people are now excited about the delivery situation and we will continue to keep communication on this subject as open as possible. We can already say that with 6,969 orders, we expect new customers to begin receiving their cars in the middle of 2020.

That is total BS , The longer range Nissan Leaf will be out by then ,

Advertisement