Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

ELM327 wrote: »
    Saw 2 of them today (ice ones) in the work carpark. Not as nice in person as I would have expected. Looks like a condensed range rover evoque. It's too flat or something.
    And it will only look worse with the batteries hanging out the bottom of the 64kWh

The worst about the Kona is the plastic wheel arches , hate it. But interior is not great looking according to the pics, I'll reserve final judgement until I see it in person.

grogi wrote: »
    But if regular 64 kWh Kona is too expensive for a Hyundai, a performance 4x4 would be toooooo expensive...

Thing is they can have a basic Kona with more options so people can choose what they want rather than a full spec system , people can choose less Kwh battery but they also get less power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Thing is they can have a basic Kona with more options so people can choose what they want rather than a full spec system , people can choose less Kwh battery but they also get less power.

I get you - but majority will not. In the badge snobbery environment, there is very little market for an expensive Hyundai... Put half of the spec into an equally expensive Audi and it will shift.

Oh Absolutely I agree, the 21 K petrol will shift a lot faster. 15 K buys a lot of petrol and most people don't like higher monthly payments.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Kona Electric is supply constrained due to battery manufacturing.
    I wouldn't be worrying too much that they won't be able to sell.

They have no need to sell a basic Kona Electric yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

grogi wrote: »
    the badge snobbery environment

I think the Niro is nicer, and a little bigger. But I wonder if that same badge snobbery will direct more people towards the Hyundai.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hyundai and Kia are both korean eco brands no? (As a hyundai owner)

Hyundai and Kia are both korean eco brands no? (As a hyundai owner)

Essentially the same company I believe, but Hyundai seems to have a better badge/name than Kia from what I can gather.

I've spoken to some folk in work about the cars and all immediately lean towards the Kona "because it's a Hyundai".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Interestingly in the top 100 most reliable car makes from JD Power (2017), Kia is number 1 :eek: and Hyundai is number 5

Linky

Back in the 90s they made rubbish. In the 00s they offered cheap and cheerful (but poorly designed) alternatives to Japanese and European cars. In the 10s their designs / looks were on a par with European cars having surpassed Japanese cars. And it looks like in the 20s they have the potential to further extend their hold on the market. Hyundai have the highest margin per car sold of all mainstream manufacturers after BMW

A remarkable rise. I suspect there is a very aggressive but long term expansion strategy at play here. We haven't seen the end of it yet

On a personal level: if you told me 2 years ago that I would own a Hyundai within a year I would have laughed at you. Yet here I am owning one...

unkel wrote: »
    Interestingly in the top 100 most reliable car makes from JD Power (2017), Kia is number 1 :eek: and Hyundai is number 5

Linky

Back in the 90s they made rubbish. In the 00s they offered cheap and cheerful (but poorly designed) alternatives to Japanese and European cars. In the 10s their designs / looks were on a par with European cars having surpassed Japanese cars. And it looks like in the 20s they have the potential to further extend their hold on the market. Hyundai have the highest margin per car sold of all mainstream manufacturers after BMW

A remarkable rise. I suspect there is a very aggressive but long term expansion strategy at play here. We haven't seen the end of it yet

On a personal level: if you told me 2 years ago that I would own a Hyundai within a year I would have laughed at you. Yet here I am owning one...
    +1
    On a personal level if you told me 6 months ago I'd be paying 500/month for a Hyundai I'd have laughed at you. But here we are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Some people I know with zero interest in cars seem to mix up Hyundai with Honda!

I suppose they do sound a bit alike..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

+1
    On a personal level if you told me 6 months ago I'd be paying 500/month for a Hyundai I'd have laughed at you. But here we are.

Same! Never in a million years would have seen myself driving a Hyundai, but the Ioniq has really made me re-evaluate the brand.

We had a high spec i40 as a rental a couple of years ago and I thought it was a nice vehicle. The only thing I didn't like were the interior switch etc. lighting. They were kind bright pale blue and bright and I thought it looked very eco. But the leather, glass roof, ride, and comfort & noise levels were all positives. Even performance from the 1.7 diesel was grand.

Before that the only Hyundai I had ever driven was a i30 about 2008 which I didn't much like.

I don't llike the copy aspect of many Hyundai vehicles but they definitely seem one of the better volume brands now both in design and function and they have gotten it right so quickly but did show great promise back early 90's with Elantra and a bit later around '98 with the 2nd gen coupe which is still quite a good looking car.

Kia in my mind is exactly the same. Not better or worse than H.

Hyundai are definitely better, but the Kona EV interior is a step down to be honest, the Ioniq is nicer in "my opinion" of course. Certainly ceap looking for a 35K car, fine for the petrol 21K you could live with it but for 35K come on, the Leaf interior is nicer , "in my opinion" lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Hyundai are definitely better, but the Kona EV interior is a step down to be honest, the Ioniq is nicer in "my opinion" of course. Certainly ceap looking for a 35K car, fine for the petrol 21K you could live with it but for 35K come on, the Leaf interior is nicer , "in my opinion" lol.

When did you sit in a Kona EV?

I didn't I saw the pics.

Went for a nosey at the one in the car park.
    Its a lot smaller than the Ioniq inside.
    The seats look cramped and I don't think the interior looks as good.

Also.. the presence of a manual gearbox was funny

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Went for a nosey at the one in the car park.
    Its a lot smaller than the Ioniq inside.
    The seats look cramped and I don't think the interior looks as good.

Also.. the presence of a manual gearbox was funny

They probably should have made a Tucson size 64kWh EV

Kona will sell out of course

For 35-40k it's a bit undersized

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Well it is a B-Suv/Crossover so not surprising that a C class car is bigger.

The market seems to like the small crossover, it seems to have really displace the B class hatchbacks.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »

The market seems to like the small crossover, it seems to have really displace the B class hatchbacks.

Most of them are 20-25k or so

A smaller higher car suits a lot of people.

Many people including myself rarely have more than the front seats in use.

It's down to the old, particularly Irish, idea that a base say Passat has to be much better than a Golf GTI.

Not at 35-40k they wont!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I didn't I saw the pics.

Ah, right.

So they'll be good with the Kona Electric which looks to be 30 to 35 (39 vs 64), and over the three years of your PCP saves around 5k in fuel.

The closest two models to the ICE would be, so it's around a 5k premium to electrify, covered in the first three years of ownership.

Kona Premium €25,995 (39kWh)
    Kona Premium DCT €30,495 (64kWh)

Now if they could get the batteries to supply a a 39kWh Kona Electric Comfort @€;25,000 they'd sell like hotcakes.

They'll sell anyway Liam. Demand for EVs is now firmly bigger than supply.

But I agree if supply was unlimited, a €25k Kona EV would start selling in ever increasing numbers. I find most people are now well aware the end is coming for diesel (and even petrol)

• Advertisement

Yep, totally agree.

Hyundai would be mad to sell a basic model when they are supply constrained, even with the ICE version the entry level model is only 20% of sales, most people seem to be buying the Exec or Premium (can't tell which from beepbeep because they are both in the same tax band)

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Most of them are 20-25k or so

Last year when I was buying I looked at the typical B class cars. Most were around 27K, but when you added in the extras the price quickly jumped to near 35K.

The top Kona EV seems well specced, however I am sure supply will mean no discounts, which are readily available on petrol and diesels.

We heard numbers that the original Kona target was 18,600 per year which is approx. 1,550 per month, and that Ioniq production would increase to around 40,000.

According to this Korean article, starting from September '18 Ioniq and Kona production will target 2,500 per month, thanks to new capacity coming from LG Chem.
    Looks like Hyundai may be rebalancing, they'll still produce the 60,000 EVs per year, but have a more even split between Kona and Ioniq.

Maybe the 39kWh Kona is using the cells originally planned for the Ioniq 40 and they've decided there is currently enough demand for the Ioniq 28 to keep selling it as is.

unkel wrote: »
    They'll sell anyway Liam. Demand for EVs is now firmly bigger than supply.

But I agree if supply was unlimited, a €25k Kona EV would start selling in ever increasing numbers. I find most people are now well aware the end is coming for diesel (and even petrol)

Kona 39kWh could be plenty range anyway

I don't think the coefficient drag of the Ioniq is the only reason for its great range

Saw a Korean range review of the Kona 64kWh vs Bolt 60kWh and it did 120km more than Bolt

Both have similar coefficient drag and and only 4kWh difference isn't going to make much difference

If the Ioniq is a 170km EV in all conditions, I reckon the Kona 39kWh will be 250km

That would be some buy at 25k

We heard numbers that the original Kona target was 18,600 per year which is approx. 1,550 per month, and that Ioniq production would increase to around 40,000.

According to this Korean article, starting from September '18 Ioniq and Kona production will target 2,500 per month, thanks to new capacity coming from LG Chem.
    Looks like Hyundai may be rebalancing, they'll still produce the 60,000 EVs per year, but have a more even split between Kona and Ioniq.

Maybe the 39kWh Kona is using the cells originally planned for the Ioniq 40 and they've decided there is currently enough demand for the Ioniq 28 to keep selling it as is.

Read an article last week that with the ramp up by Tesla/Panasonic, LG, Catl, Samsung etc they will have enough battery supply for 10millon 60kWh EV's per year by 2021

They are even afraid of over supply

Definitely a push going on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Whats the expected Kwh/100km?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Whats the expected Kwh/100km?

~10% less efficient than Ioniq, due to more aerodynamic drag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Had a bit of a google, Looks like the Kona does 14.3kwh/100km so 272km/170miles.
    I'd be interested in the 39kw as it would suit 98% of my driving.
    Depends on prices.

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Had a bit of a google, Looks like the Kona does 14.3kwh/100km so 272km/170miles.
    I'd be interested in the 39kw as it would suit 98% of my driving.
    Depends on prices.

The only way to know what Kwh/100 Kms is to drive it yourself, you could be disappointed that you do not get close to what someone else achieves at your speed and driving style.

A lot of Ioniq/Leaf drivers etc boasting about efficiency are enthusiasts and are always trying the beat their previous "record" so best to drive it on familiar routes yourself at your preferred driving speed/style.

Just over 3 weeks til UK customers can buy the car and Ireland doesn't even have a price list.

Hyundai Ireland are ignoring messages on social media.

My local dealer is itching to sell me one but Hyundai are giving him nothing either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭gally74

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just over 3 weeks til UK customers can buy the car and Ireland doesn't even have a price list.

Hyundai Ireland are ignoring messages on social media.

My local dealer is itching to sell me one but Hyundai are giving him nothing either.

Heard Ireland is only getting 7

We got 4 Ioniq's in 2016 with customer sales in Jan '17.
    7 Kona electrics as demonstrators in 2018 is not outside the realms of possibility.

Contacted the local dealer tonight, he's going to chase for an update tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

We have been keeping our banger going hoping to bin it once we get Kona. Unfortunately it just failed NCT with many issues, don't think we can wait any longer for Kona/Niro. Going to look for a practical estate (3 series, V60 etc are being considered). A bit sad but sure will have more choice in EV in a couple of years.

If you need a practical estate like a 3-series or V60, a Kona won't cut the mustard. It is far smaller than those cars. For starters it will only seat 4 really. And luggage space will be less than half

If you're still keen on the Kona / Niro EV, just buy a €500 banger with a long NCT that will take you all the way to delivery of your EV on a 191 plate. Who knows you might even get scrappage of some sort.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

gally74 wrote: »
    Heard Ireland is only getting 7

1. From whom?
    2. 7 Demo's(which is reasonable) or 7 cars to sell?

We got 4 Ioniq's in 2016 with customer sales in Jan '17.
    7 Kona electrics as demonstrators in 2018 is not outside the realms of possibility.

Maybe 2 in Dublin, 1 in Cork/Limerick/Galway

Then 2 dotted around in the better electric dealers.....that would cover the country

positron wrote: »
    We have been keeping our banger going hoping to bin it once we get Kona. Unfortunately it just failed NCT with many issues, don't think we can wait any longer for Kona/Niro. Going to look for a practical estate (3 series, V60 etc are being considered). A bit sad but sure will have more choice in EV in a couple of years.
    Well I don't have a banger, but a 24kwh Leaf is gradually becoming less practical for a 1 car house.

Just completed a nightmare Donegal to Dublin to Belfast to Donegal long weekend. Broken chargers, hogged chargers etc. I'm fed up with it to be honest.

I really don't want to go back to an ICE. The Kona and Niro are attractive but Hyundai Ireland are saying nothing. Kia keep saying "coming soon" and the 40kWh is a lame duck (in my opinion).

I could buy a Kona in the UK (if I'm lucky and quick on the trigger) and import, but how could I buy a car without seeing it in the flesh ever mind an extended test drive.

And what if I bought a Kona and then the Niro arrives 6 months later and is both bigger and cheaper?

Just a very annoying combination of staggered release times, slow Irish pricing and very limited availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

If you were to buy  new in the UK , would you get the government grant when you bring it in or how would that work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Well I don't have a banger, but a 24kwh Leaf is gradually becoming less practical for a 1 car house.

Just completed a nightmare Donegal to Dublin to Belfast to Donegal long weekend. Broken chargers, hogged chargers etc. I'm fed up with it to be honest.

I really don't want to go back to an ICE. The Kona and Niro are attractive but Hyundai Ireland are saying nothing. Kia keep saying "coming soon" and the 40kWh is a lame duck (in my opinion).

I could buy a Kona in the UK (if I'm lucky and quick on the trigger) and import, but how could I buy a car without seeing it in the flesh ever mind an extended test drive.

And what if I bought a Kona and then the Niro arrives 6 months later and is both bigger and cheaper?

Just a very annoying combination of staggered release times, slow Irish pricing and very limited availability.

Why didn't you just hire a car ! Right tool for the right job. No point in trying to hammer a nail with a screwdriver.

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Why didn't you just hire a car !

I shouldn't have to.

Donegal to Dublin shouldn't be such a chore that you need to hire a car. And that wasn't even the hard part. I did that in Thursday fairly easily. Dublin to Ballymena on Sunday was a pain and Ballymena back to Donegal on Monday was only possible because the hotel rescued me after the ESB charger on their grounds failed.

From the Ioniq timelines we could be waiting until November before the official launch.

If the 7 number is for deoms, I wonder does that mean they are showing more commitment compared to the 4 demo Ioniqs.

From the Ioniq timelines we could be waiting until November before the official launch.

If the 7 number is for deoms, I wonder does that mean they are showing more commitment compared to the 4 demo Ioniqs.

This is a bit of a long one....my brother in law plays golf with a few lads who work in car industry.... Anyway it was mentioned last week about the kona(mostly because I was talking to him about it) on the course.....seemingly they said Hyundai are bringing in 600+ to Ireland....

Take with as many pinchs of salt as you want and they had no idea about different batteries or ranges.....just 600+ Kona electric....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ....my brother in law plays golf with a few lads who own/import cars.

It's probably not what you meant to say... but it made me laugh. :D

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    This is a bit of a long one....my brother in law plays golf with a few lads who own/import carts.

In golf context only this one makes sense... ;P

Advertisement