Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Local dealer (south east) reckons he's getting two: one demo and one showroom. Both long range. He says the smaller battery will come a bit later. They are expecting to have cars for early 191 registration. He thinks they would probably get cars too late this year for anyone to want to register them as 182. He was told 700 for Ireland initially.

That's a fair enough allocation that 700 cars.

samih wrote: »
    That's a fair enough allocation that 700 cars.

Personally, I'll believe it when I see every one of them. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

In Norway they sold all 2,500 cars in a couple of days. Ireland has a similar size population, but obviously we are well behind Norway when it comes to electric cars. But I'd say they have no problem selling the 700 provided the pricing is similar to what most of us believe it will be

That's funny, in Carlow they were only interested in when the Diesel version was coming lol. "that's what people want to buy" they said !

They weren't too happy about the petrol version coming out first either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

cros13 wrote: »
    It's probably not what you meant to say... but it made me laugh. :D

Sorry had 3 kids running around this morning when I posted :P

TO make it easier, they work in car industry

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Looks like a number of Kona Electric Press days have just occurred.
    They are under NDA until 25/7

Bjørn Nyland was given one for a day, and then will have one for three days from the 25th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Some colours

Galactic Grey

Chalk White

Acid Yellow

Tangerine Comet

Walkpast of other colours incl Red, Turquoise

Red, Grey and White look well with the gloss black roof IMO. Still not sure about the wheel arches.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Colours are pretty crap to be honest. Can't believe you can't have a black car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

DrPhilG wrote: »

There should be a 'Dark Knight' black also. Or at least there was supposed to be according to the press release in February.

• Advertisement

Yep, I'd be hard pushed to pick any of them. I don't like wish washy blue or piss yellow. Is that grey flat or metallic? Hard to tell from the video.

The petrol has black as a choice, and the plastic bits don't stand out as much.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Loving the Acid Yellow.

The Kona is a response to the Nissan Juke and C-HR, it's not surprising that the looks are "divisive" :D

There should be a 'Dark Knight' black also. Or at least there was supposed to be according to the press release in February.

Dark night is just dark grey from what I can see, phantom black is available as a roof colour but not for the rest of the car which is daft.

Nice to see Hyundai helping the consumers not to add more black and grey cars on the road. We have enough of them. Car parks here look really depressing especially in winter. Grey sky, grey road, grey cars.

Except that they do offer the grey car. But at least there are some actual colours to be had too.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

there is an ironman edition of the ICE kona coming out

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hyundai-kona-iron-man-edition-unveiled-at-2018-san-diego-comic-con/

Man if they had an electric version it would be the bomb.....

Imagine the range you'd get with an ARC reactor, it would be unstoppable.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

would be too much fun ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Dglflyer wrote: »
    there is an ironman edition of the ICE kona coming out

https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/hyundai-kona-iron-man-edition-unveiled-at-2018-san-diego-comic-con/

Man if they had an electric version it would be the bomb.....

Looks class in fairness

Who knows might happen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Mylow

Email I received in April.

"We just received notification from Hyundai that we will receive 1 of 10 KONA EV’s to come into Ireland in June.
    We will register this car for demonstration and take orders for 2019.
    We have been told Ireland has received an allocation of 750 for 2019 so supply shouldn’t be an issue."

Then follow up email mid June when I enquired was Demo here.

"Looks like we won’t see the car until September.
    I will let you know as soon as I hear."

Mylow wrote: »
    Email I received in April.

"We just received notification from Hyundai that we will receive 1 of 10 KONA EV’s to come into Ireland in June.
    We will register this car for demonstration and take orders for 2019.
    We have been told Ireland has received an allocation of 750 for 2019 so supply shouldn’t be an issue."

Then follow up email mid June when I enquired was Demo here.

"Looks like we won’t see the car until September.
    I will let you know as soon as I hear."

Your not allowed talk about that email 😀

• Advertisement

My local are also claiming they'll have a demo in September.

No mention of the 750 allowance though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Bjorn Neyland is going to have a "race" of the Kona vs the model X.

Same route as his previous Ampera E vs Ioniq race.

Livestreaming on the 25th from his livestream channel on you tube.

Bjorn has posted his Kona review in 2 parts.

Only just started and so far we've seen the car still charging at 24kw at 90% but not sure when it tapered to that level.

The 175kW charger was broken so he'll retry that when he has the car for two days today and tomorrow (25/7)

He showed the car charging at a 50kW charger, throttling started at around 73/44% down to 35kW.
    Range at real 90km/h was around 500km.
    At real 120km/h was tracking around 400km.

He'll be live streaming the 1000km "race" with the Model X today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

liamog wrote: »
    The 175kW charger was broken so he'll retry that when he has the car for two days today and tomorrow (25/7)

He showed the car charging at a 50kW charger, throttling started at around 73/44% down to 35kW.

Efficiency better than Leaf, not as good as Ioniq?

16kWh/100km @ 120 is incredible tbh

250 miles at 75 mph is beautiful.

Cork to Dublin RETURN - one stop.

Fantastic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Guess it will all depend on price and availability now as those are phenomenal numbers for a non Tesla EV

ELM327 wrote: »
    Guess it will all depend on price and availability now as those are phenomenal numbers for a non Tesla EV

The 750 number mentioned above was the number I was given as well.

Is the race by any chacne going to be all at 120km/h?

I know most of these cars will be bought for city driving but I don't care about that :P sure my eGolf will work for majority of people in city and it has a 26kWh battery

What needs to be tested is motorway speed and constant motorway speed to see what range will be but also is the guessometer actually good

If it really is 16kWh/100km then this car is a real game changer

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    The 750 number mentioned above was the number I was given as well.

I was told "over 700". Looks like too many similar figures for it to be far out. 750 would be a great allocation, if true. Lots of the new EV market has been eaten up by the Leaf 40. How many of those would trade it in to get a Kona? Very few I would say.

Old diesel wrote: »

Fantastic

The old Dublin to Cork test

Funny I drive to Cork a lot and the road is a bloody ghost town but anytime you ask about electric cars this seems to be the test....

Do that many people go to Cork?

Anyone I ask hardly ever goes near the place

Watching Bjorn's review this morning, it's a nice car. Strange to see the Ioniq instrument binnacle showing 400+km :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-3_LO3Swlc

I was told "over 700". Looks like too many similar figures for it to be far out. 750 would be a great allocation, if true. Lots of the new EV market has been eaten up by the Leaf 40. How many of those would trade it in to get a Kona? Very few I would say.

I am not sure if the conspricy theorist as gotten hold of me but this morning after I read the review on the Kona....the next 2 times I logged into facebook I got car advertisement. First was a demo X1 from some dealer. Looked a decent deal

Next was a Ford dealer selling off top of the line Kuga for 27k or something similar like that, diesel.....I couldn't believe the price.

Is google adverts getting paid to stop the move to electric :P:P:P:P

The truth is out their

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Fantastic

The old Dublin to Cork test

Funny I drive to Cork a lot and the road is a bloody ghost town but anytime you ask about electric cars this seems to be the test....

Do that many people go to Cork?

Anyone I ask hardly ever goes near the place

For me it's a benchmark in terms of distance.

It's something many can relate to.

For me it's a benchmark in terms of distance.

It's something many can relate to.

I am only joking....:P:P

I do think Cork tourism board can't wait for electric cars to arrive.....the increase in trips to Cork will be 500% :D:D

• Advertisement

ELM327 wrote: »
    Watching Bjorn's review this morning, it's a nice car. Strange to see the Ioniq instrument binnacle showing 400+km :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-3_LO3Swlc

Who want to post it first in the Motors forum and watch the daysel brigade lose their sh** :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Looks good in general, boot seems very small as a family car, smaller than the Ioniq or at least very similar.

The location of that battery is terrifying!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=923iqCTtFFU

Here's the second part too. Just finished watching it now.
    The 64kWh with the battery sticking out is a bit mad but I like it.
    Not sure I'd trade the Ioniq for it (in fact I wouldnt as I don't think it would be worth paying more per month) but it's a great option, depending on price and availability

I still want the Niro, but I'm sorely tempted to stick down a wee (refundable) deposit for one of these in the UK next week...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

Any word on when it will be possible to put down a deposit at an Irish dealer?

• Advertisement

It is and it isn't a game changer, depends on what you want from a car.

Question is , will many people be able to buy it ? and will people really pay 35K V 21K for the petrol ?

Question is , will many people be able to buy it ? and will people really pay 35K V 21K for the petrol ?

I imagine that most buyers will compare it against other EVs on the market,not against the petrol Kona.

Still sod all from Hyundai Ireland except that they expect demos in September.  Order in Ireland and I'd say you'll be waiting til the middle of 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Lossy

I showed the wife the pic of the EV Kona in turquoise and the response was "Oooooooh!"

The Info interface is very very similar to our Niro Phev. All very familiar.

When the time comes to change our second car, a dirty diesel, its going to be a tough choice between the Kona EV and Niro EV.

Probably not.
    14k buys a fukton of petrol.

Will a taxi driver buy one at 28k though? WIll they qualify as taxis?

Still sod all from Hyundai Ireland except that they expect demos in September.  Order in Ireland and I'd say you'll be waiting til the middle of 2019.

That would suit me just fine tbh,enough time to put some extra money aside.My 24kw Leaf is still meeting most of my needs but longer journeys are a drag, particularly with the network being as it is.

It's not really 21k. I have used this for reference before. My sister in law bought new CH-R Hybrid. It was close on 35-36k she paid for it.

That is what it will be up against. Not a baseline petrol model

The base hybrid CH-R is 31k. That is before delivery cost etc

The Premium Kona petrol Kona is 31k.

I sat in the baseline Kona, not something I would buy or anyone I know would buy

That would suit me just fine tbh,enough time to put some extra money aside.My 24kw Leaf is still meeting most of my needs but longer journeys are a drag, particularly with the network being as it is.

Same for me.  I can live with the Leaf a while longer.  My worry is that by the end of the year demand will be so high that the Kona and Niro will both be at the end of a 6-8 month waiting list!

will people really pay 35K V 21K for the petrol ?

Discussed this many, many, times.

People buy the Leaf over a Pulsar. So yes, clearly people will pay more for a similar spec model.
    If you want a similar spec, with only slightly inferior performance the Kona ICE will cost you €30,495.

We also discussed why Hyundai are not targeting the bargain basement crowd.

Discussed this many, many, times.

People buy the Leaf over a Pulsar. So yes, clearly people will pay more for a similar spec model.
    If you want a similar spec, with only slightly inferior performance the Kona ICE will cost you €30,495.

We also discussed why Hyundai are not targeting the bargain basement crowd.

Any electric car at the moment is not targetted for the person buying a baseline entry model car. It is for the middle to high end market.

• Advertisement
Advertisement