Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

ELM327 wrote: »
    That's... pretty crap to be honest. (coming from an Ioniq that maintains 70kW up to 77% SOC - assuming it is connected to a capable charger)
    Is there a link to a video?

Don't forget that 77% SOC in Ioniq is around 35% SOC in 64kWh Kona...

Some interesting comments on that link, theorising that CCS is limited to 80kW by a 200a limit at the charger.
    I don't think that could be true.. but if it was, it means the likes of the i-pace can't charge at 100kW. Not without an 800+volt battery :eek:

There is nothing preventing the ECU from rearranging the cells during the charging with a few relays. 64 kWh battery might be 200Ah@320V or 67Ah@960V...

-Hyundai haven't been able to put the high C rates into this car, like they did for the IOniq, due to higher internal pack resistance.

According to this link it has a max of 70 Kw on DC charge rate ?

https://ev-database.uk/car/1126/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh

If it has 67 Kwh and 64 Kwh usable at 356 volts that would make it about 190 AH and a 70 Kw charge at 356 volts would be about 197 Amps so that makes it just over 1 C charge.

Question is what are the cells rated for ? 197 amps could be more than their rated for or could be exactly who knows.

BMW charge the 94 Ah at a bit higher C rate than recommended probably because the pack is AC cooled.

Is the Kona battery AC or Fan cooled ? Fan cooling could be a limitation or the cells themselves or both.

Interesting to see the Leaf 60 Testing at 105 Kw , that would give it a good advantage over the Kona. Nissan have learned....... Finally !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

grogi wrote: »
    Don't forget that 77% SOC in Ioniq is around 35% SOC in 64kWh Kona...
    Yes but the two are not equal. Take a leaf 24 and a leaf 30, 60% of the leaf 24 is like what 40% of the leaf 30, but the leaf 30 is charging faster.
    There is nothing preventing the ECU from rearranging the cells during the charging with a few relays. 64 kWh battery might be 200Ah@320V or 67Ah@960V...

Don't know enough myself to agree or contradict the above unfortunately

If it has 67 Kwh and 64 Kwh usable at 356 volts that would make it about 190 AH and a 70 Kw charge at 356 volts would be about 197 Amps so that makes it just over 1 C charge.

Question is what are the cells rated for ? 197 amps could be more than their rated for or could be exactly who knows.

BMW charge the 94 Ah at a bit higher C rate than recommended probably because the pack is AC cooled.

Is the Kona battery AC or Fan cooled ? Fan cooling could be a limitation or the cells themselves or both.

Interesting to see the Leaf 60 Testing at 105 Kw , that would give it a good advantage over the Kona. Nissan have learned....... Finally !

It's liquid cooled.
    ~1.1C at best, coming from over 2C in the Ioniq is a step down. I feel I made a big enough deal about the step down which was the L40 that I need to complain about this. But it's so hard to complain against a real world regular priced EV with LKAS and ~450km real range :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Bjorn says in one of his review vids it's liquid cooled...

Anywho more reviews out. Top Gear gives it 9/10!! While also saying it'll be sub £30k.
    https://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/hyundai/kona/150kw-premium-64kwh-5dr-auto/first-drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

-Hyundai haven't been able to put the high C rates into this car, like they did for the IOniq, due to higher internal pack resistance.

Important to remember that we are comparing a production Kona to a pre production Leaf.

The Leaf was showing what is possible with charger technology.

However for various reasons like battery durability - the Leaf could be restricted to a similar speed as Kona.

We also dont know how long the Leaf was/is able to sustain the 102 kw for.

The point was to show that 102 kw was possible on the latest Chademo set up.

Sustaining that in real world with 300 mile plus trips at 75 mph in ambient temps of 24 degrees and above is a whole different ballgame.

LG Chem may not care about the car doing 102 kw in prototype form.

They may have a somewhat different view of standing over 102 kw in daily use when LG Chem are on the hook for warranty etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

35kWh (55%) at 70kW -> 30 mins
    11.5kWh (18%) at 55kW -> 13 mins
    2.5kWh (4%) at 37kW -> 4 mins
    15kWh (23%) at 25kW -> 35 mins
    Total: 64 kWh -> ~85 mins.

So take my example of long distance driving, a 50 min stop for food/etc would give a nice little boost.....

I don't see this as an issue

My example of East cork -belfast . 400km one stop in lusk after 3hours of driving. So same as
    my diesel.
    Can't wait for this car.
    Also doing the math you'd have one(new) in from the UK for €33k if demand was too high here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

So Bjørn tested the Kona on a 175kW charger.

70kW max up to 55%
    58kW at 55%
    37kW at 73%
    25kW at 77%

I was right sadly

Cells are old tech similar to Chevy Bolt was the rumour, not great for fast charging, but lots of cycles and longevity

Was to be expected

Sure even the most expensive Evs don't go above 100kW, Rimac hypercar for a few million bucks can barely get 200kW

Still a great car, 70kW and liquid cooling is still great for the price.

Specifications with an * are estimates.

Fastcharge Power * 70 kW DC

It's an "estimate" as they havent tested it yet.
    Hence why all the furore about Bjorn's test

• Advertisement

ewj1978 wrote: »
    My example of East cork -belfast . 400km one stop in lusk after 3hours of driving. So same as
    my diesel.
    Can't wait for this car.
    Also doing the math you'd have one(new) in from the UK for €33k if demand was too high here.
    You could do that trip without stopping in the 64kWh version. :eek:

Old diesel wrote: »
    Important to remember that we are comparing a production Kona to a pre production Leaf.

The Leaf was showing what is possible with charger technology.

However for various reasons like battery durability - the Leaf could be restricted to a similar speed as Kona.

We also dont know how long the Leaf was/is able to sustain the 102 kw for.

The point was to show that 102 kw was possible on the latest Chademo set up.

Sustaining that in real world with 300 mile plus trips at 75 mph in ambient temps of 24 degrees and above is a whole different ballgame.

LG Chem may not care about the car doing 102 kw in prototype form.

They may have a somewhat different view of standing over 102 kw in daily use when LG Chem are on the hook for warranty etc

That was 102 Kw at 32 % charge which is pretty amazing in fairness. If AC cooled there's no reason to suggest it will not charge at this rate all day long.

If the battery had no heating then that will slow down cold battery charging but I expect if LG are calling the shots then it will be heated also under certain conditions, probably when plugged into the mains only.

That was 102 Kw at 32 % charge which is pretty amazing in fairness. If AC cooled there's no reason to suggest it will not charge at this rate all day long.

If the battery had no heating then that will slow down cold battery charging but I expect if LG are calling the shots then it will be heated also under certain conditions, probably when plugged into the mains only.

The issue is not "can the battery accept this charge". There are batteries accepting 20C rates of charge today.

The issue is can it sustain it without degradation, and can Nissan get the battery supplier to agree to that spec.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    So take my example of long distance driving, a 50 min stop for food/etc would give a nice little boost.....

I don't see this as an issue

Exactly a 30 min charge would give about 200km of range, 50 min nearly 300km of range

Future is here finally

Think I will be dropping the Tesla

Wife wants a Tesla, not into Hyundai, but Hyundai is a better buy and reliable with a great warranty

Don't know what forum I read it, trying to find but acceleration is good too, 0-100 6.9secs tested

I want to see a test for Ioniq

See the efficiency difference, if any

FriendsEV wrote: »
    I was right sadly

Cells are old tech similar to Chevy Bolt was the rumour, not great for fast charging, but lots of cycles and longevity

Was to be expected

Sure even the most expensive Evs don't go above 100kW, Rimac hypercar for a few million bucks can barely get 200kW

Still a great car, 70kW and liquid cooling is still great for the price.

Its a mid ranged priced Compact Crossover.....

I was expecting that a decent charge would take circa 50 mins.....

Let put it this way, it current main competition is the Leaf 2....not much competition really....

I do think this forum likes to pick holes....the majority of people looking at this car will charge at home 99% of the time and maybe once a year might need to use a fast charger. I have my car 18 months now I think and I have no bloody idea how quick/slow or what it does charging. I know it takes about 20 mins and I am ready to hit the road :P

I do say 99% of the time at home, please note some people will use the fast chargers as they are free.....if they had to pay they wouldn't use

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Not looking forward to the new EV drivers on a fast charger for an hour while leafs pile up behind them - that alone will drive people to bigger battery cars

Not looking forward to the new EV drivers on a fast charger for an hour while leafs pile up behind them - that alone will drive people to bigger battery cars

Just drive home and plug it in over night......

With bigger batteries and longer charge times the system will need to introduce a set period of charge time before you need to move on or get a fine

An old heap of s**t Leaf 2 will show up and close the place down for the day trying to recharge it energizer batteries :P:P:P:P:P

my diesel.
    Can't wait for this car.

The beauty of this car is that you can charge during a stop on the way up.

Charge at nearest rapid charger to destination for 50 mins.

No destination charging required.

It's not like a Leaf 40 where you would have to consider that a late evening rapid could hurt you with residual heat the day after - so youd need a destination charger

• Advertisement

The "Secret" of the hyundai efficiency was expected to be the cd coefficient, but it's actually the drivetrain too.

Amazing if true

Many said it was the cd

Electric drivetrains couldn't get more efficient etc

I still believe they will get more efficient , sub 10kWh/100km will be the norm when the switch over is complete in 10 years

FriendsEV wrote: »
    I want to see a test for Ioniq

See the efficiency difference, if any
    Ioniq should be slightly more efficient as the Kona has a worse CD even if they use the same drivetrain

Amazing when a box on stilts has a better efficiency than the leaf

Its a mid ranged priced Compact Crossover.....

I was expecting that a decent charge would take circa 50 mins.....

Let put it this way, it current main competition is the Leaf 2....not much competition really....

I do think this forum likes to pick holes....the majority of people looking at this car will charge at home 99% of the time and maybe once a year might need to use a fast charger. I have my car 18 months now I think and I have no bloody idea how quick/slow or what it does charging. I know it takes about 20 mins and I am ready to hit the road :P

I do say 99% of the time at home, please note some people will use the fast chargers as they are free.....if they had to pay they wouldn't use

In my case even for my longest journey that's spot on

Limerick - Dublin is the furthest I drive, 420km round trip

I would only need a 15min charge to do it, drive slow and might even do it on one stop :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Ioniq should be slightly more efficient as the Kona has a worse CD even if they use the same drivetrain

The total aerodynamic performance is calculated as the Cd x Frontal Area the Car

The frontal area doesn't seem to be nearly as well documented as Cd, this is impacted substantially by the height of the car.

The Leaf 2 looks to be a considerably larger car for passengers and cargo compared to the Kona.

Also, it will be interesting to see the charge rates for the Kia Niro as it will apparently use SK Innovation cells rather than LG Chem in the case of the Kona.
    PushEVs wrote:
    The South Korean newspaper etnews reports that while the Hyundai Kona Electric will get NCM 622 battery cells from LG Chem, the Kia Niro EV will get NCM 811 battery cells from SK innovation. While the NCM 622 cells have higher power density, the NCM 811 battery cells have higher energy density and lower cost.

With all the data Nissan should have collected from the different version of the Leaf you would expect them to be miles ahead of the competition....instead they are lagging behind.....

If part of the Hyundai advantage is drivetrain.

Shouldnt we see an improvement in efficiency with Leaf 60 vs the 40?????.

Re Nissan data - the problem appears to be that Nissan have used the data to figure out that most Leafs only do within a certain mileage a day.

Relying too much on historical data rather then anticipating how a bigger battery changes how you use the car - if no rapidgate issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

Even more amazing to me is how a car described as 'a box on wheels' could be so desirable to so many!! Personally don't understand the attraction to this type of car but then again there are many thinks in life I have difficulty understanding!!!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The Kia Soul is a box on wheels. The Kona Electric looks like a tall Focus Hatchback to me.

It looks more like someone took a tucson and flattened only the "car" part while leaving the wheels and arches the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

creedp wrote: »
    Even more amazing to me is how a car described as 'a box on wheels' could be so desirable to so many!! Personally don't understand the attraction to this type of car

Same here. But people have gone mad for the (small) crossovers ever since the original Qashqai came out over a decade ago. Remember the waiting lists? And remember that early ones were sold second hand for more than the listed new price?

And before that nearly every family seemed to want a 7-seater even if they only had a couple of kids!

unkel wrote: »
    Even more amazing to me is how a car described as 'a box on wheels' could be so desirable to so many!! Personally don't understand the attraction to this type of car

Same here. But people have gone mad for the (small) crossovers ever since the original Qashqai came out over a decade ago. Remember the waiting lists? And remember that early ones were sold second hand for more than the listed new price?

And before that nearly every family seemed to want a 7-seater even if they only had a couple of kids!

Wonder will EVs get so trendy that people will buy a Kona or L60 even though they don't need a car????. (But it looks good to be seen in an EV)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

unkel wrote: »

Agree the Qashqai was the original of the species but at least was reasonably roomy inside .. these newer generation even smaller crossovers (whatever that actually means) are even less practical and provide no advantage to the equivalent sized car except of course for the perceived cooler image attached to driving an elevated hatchback with plastic mudguards around an urban setting - the Chelsea tractor becomes the Chelsea ride-on!!

Give me a 39kwh Ionig any day!!

Agree the Qashqai was the original of the species but at least was reasonably roomy inside .. these newer generation even smaller crossovers (whatever that actually means) are even less practical and provide no advantage to the equivalent sized car except of course for the perceived cooler image attached to driving an elevated hatchback with plastic mudguards around an urban setting - the Chelsea tractor becomes the Chelsea ride-on!!

Bjorn race = 39kWh Ioniq versus 64kWh Kona over 1000km.
    Assuming the Ioniq can keep its drivetrain and charging curve it would win by a mile with a 39kWh battery

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Bjørn's video is up

Starting SOC 10%

10-55% ~27mins
    10-73% ~40mins
    10-80% ~50mins
    10-100% 1hour and 42mins

40mins for ~250km EPA rated range.

The one massive advantage of the Qashqai type vehicle over a Golf is the height. I have 3 kids and getting them in & out of back seats can be a lot easier with that little bit of height.....

Anyone buying without kids are just stupid or lack imagination......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The one massive advantage of the Qashqai type vehicle over a Golf is the height. I have 3 kids and getting them in & out of back seats can be a lot easier with that little bit of height.....

Anyone buying without kids are just stupid or lack imagination......

That's a bit harsh. The higher driving position makes it easier to get in and out of for those with reduced mobility. With any luck, you'll get old some day.

That's a bit harsh. The higher driving position makes it easier to get in and out of for those with reduced mobility. With any luck, you'll get old some day.

The New Quashqai: for grounded by kids and old (physically or mentally). Not really sure if that's a great advertising phrase... ;)

Of course its a bit harsh....I wasn't been serious

My parents bought a Qashqai for the exact reason you described.....they have actually parked it up now and use a Leaf 1 as the high seating position they find just as good....

I will clarify:

Anyone buying without kids or are old are just stupid or lack imagination..

I take it that the active battery cooling on Kona works while driving?????.

I would imagine it would or there's no point having it.

I would imagine it would or there's no point having it.

Agreed.

Just a bit take aback by how the temp rose during the 70 kw charging

• Advertisement

Agreed.

Where does it show this ?

The issue is not "can the battery accept this charge". There are batteries accepting 20C rates of charge today.

The issue is can it sustain it without degradation, and can Nissan get the battery supplier to agree to that spec.

You misunderstood what I was saying, when I said if it can take it I meant whether it was designed for the C rates being dumped into it.

There are batteries that can take high C rated but they're mainly RC LiPo !

Nissan will be feeding the battery exactly what LG tell them because they have to provide warranty should anything go wrong.

Bjørn's video is up

Starting SOC 10%

10-55% ~27mins
    10-73% ~40mins
    10-80% ~50mins
    10-100% 1hour and 42mins

40mins for ~250km EPA rated range.
    Not sure where you got that or am I misunderstanding?

35 mins for 320km(200mile) range. Thats mad ted.
    I know its Bjorn driving and all but 370km range at 75% battery and 497km at 100%.
    497!!! I'm drooling.
    12.8kwh/100km. :D

12.8 Kwh/100 Kms wait until the Winter and 120 Km/h on the motorway ! :D

The video the other day showed it off but I’m sure he said he could turn it on or something along those lines

The video the other day showed it off but I’m sure he said he could turn it on or something along those lines

I would seriously doubt the battery cooling can be turned on and off via the driver. That would be mad really.

Agreed.

Where does it show this ?

In the video on page 79 of this thread

Apologies meant to say page 69 not 79

Apologies meant to say page 69 not 79

Oh, if you're thinking that battery bar on the right is battery temp, it's not, it's showing battery charge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Not sure where you got that or am I misunderstanding?

35 mins for 320km(200mile) range. Thats mad ted.
    I know its Bjorn driving and all but 370km range at 75% battery and 497km at 100%.
    497!!! I'm drooling.
    12.8kwh/100km. :D

No official EPA rating yet but basing it off Hyundai quoting 250mi/400km EPA estimate at the US press launch. 16kWh/100km.

Advertisement