Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

No official EPA rating yet but basing it off Hyundai quoting 250mi/400km EPA estimate at the US press launch. 16kWh/100km.

The Ioniq is rated at 15.4kWh

Nissan Leaf 18.64kWh

Tesla Model 3 17.62kWh

Kona @ 16kWh would be an amazing result, over twice the range of the Ioniq and Leaf

16 Kwh depending on weather + speed, no chance of getting 16 Kwh/100 km on the motorway at 120 Km/h.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,747 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Of course it depends on weather and speed. But I bet almost all Ioniq owners in the world have done much better on average than 15.4kWh/100km

I've averaged 11.9kWh/100km myself over the past month or so. Always in sport mode, driving the hell out of the car, never below speed limits. It has been warm, which helps of course.

16 Kwh depending on weather + speed, no chance of getting 16 Kwh/100 km on the motorway at 120 Km/h.

Its combined cycle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

I would seriously doubt the battery cooling can be turned on and off via the driver. That would be mad really.

I think the option was to turn on if you wanted to help the cabin air con.....not watching the video again.....

Maybe I am wrong but it was mentioned at the time he was showing the screen which shows how much features are using up battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

unkel wrote: »
    Of course it depends on weather and speed. But I bet almost all Ioniq owners in the world have done much better on average than 15.4kWh/100km

I've averaged 11.9kWh/100km myself over the past month or so. Always in sport mode, driving the hell out of the car, never below speed limits. It has been warm, which helps of course.

I'd say I probably average about 14-15kwh most of the time, fair bit of motorway driving and a good bit of short runs which I think also hurts efficiency.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Old diesel wrote: »
    Apologies meant to say page 69 not 79

Oh, if you're thinking that battery bar on the right is battery temp, it's not, it's showing battery charge.

Excellent

PCP for the Kona will not be available in the UK till 2019.....I asked on Kona forum and a UK customer confirmed

Looks like they are selling to the cash customers for the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭rocky

505km driven from full, 510km in theory to zero
    At 93km/h indicated

rocky wrote: »
    505km driven from full, 510km in theory to zero
    At 93km/h indicated

Crazy

Wonder about 120km/h

350km?

Limerick to Belfast

Didn't think we would see an affordable EV do that journey without stopping here before 2020

At that distance I would have to stop anyway for a break

• Advertisement

FriendsEV wrote: »
    Wonder about 120km/h

350km?

In summer for sure. Ioniq with that battery could do 435km at 120km/h in summer.

In summer for sure. Ioniq with that battery could do 435km at 120km/h in summer.

Nice

Just under 400km should be possible then

From the information so far Kona seems about 10% less efficient than Ioniq

From the information so far Kona seems about 10% less efficient than Ioniq

In city driving there shouldn't be much in it, but at 120km/h the difference will be a lot more than 10% (cd 0.29 vs 0.24). Just looked up the figure for Kona and it's worse than I thought, so I doubt it could do 350km at 120km/h even in perfect circumstances

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I think the option was to turn on if you wanted to help the cabin air con.....not watching the video again.....

Maybe I am wrong but it was mentioned at the time he was showing the screen which shows how much features are using up battery

Battery conditioning may or may not have been in operation at the time but if the battery has AC cooling then it would be independent of the cars cabin AC.

The i3 works this way and I can't see how the Kona would be different it simply wouldn't make sense for the battery to cook if the driver didn't have AC on.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The AC setting he was adjusting is also on the Ioniq. It has nothing to do with the battery cooling. It simply allows you to set the AC to a reduced power mode.

The battery cooling on the Kona is via liquid cooling inside the battery pack, and is independent from the cabin AC.

liamog wrote: »
    The AC setting he was adjusting is also on the Ioniq. It has nothing to do with the battery cooling. It simply allows you to set the AC to a reduced power mode.

The battery cooling on the Kona is via liquid cooling inside the battery pack, and is independent from the cabin AC.

Thanks

Similar in eGolf so, you can go into a menu system and set it to low/medium/high and it reduces battery usage

I only found this about a week ago :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

PCP for the Kona will not be available in the UK till 2019.....I asked on Kona forum and a UK customer confirmed

There have been a few on speakev.com who have had quotes?

All extortionate mind you.

DrPhilG wrote: »

I've been told by Hyundai Shrewsbury that PCP deals won't be available until the beginning of 2019.

Comment from the guy.......

DrPhilG wrote: »

Whats the interest rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I see ordering online for the kona electric in the UK has a limited number of colors, no black available

• Advertisement

Dglflyer wrote: »
    I see ordering online for the kona electric in the UK has a limited number of colors, no black available

Yeah the colours for the EV are crap.

*Galactic Grey (free, non metallic)
    *Chalk White
    *Ceramic Blue
    *Tangerine Comet
    *Pulse Red
    *Acid Yellow

The metallic colours all cost an extra £565.

Another reason I hope the Niro is affordable, they have a dark blue that I really like.

Kia-Niro-Korea-11-e1478274238483.jpg

This is my order from Hyundai, pulse red.
    2018-kona-gallery-ext-05.jpg

From hyundai

Hi Gorgeous, thank you for your enquiry about the new Kona EV. We're planning to announce pricing and spec details for this month, anyone who has registered their interest will be the first to know once this information is live on the website. Alongside the launch of pricing and spec details we will also give people the opportunity to pre-order the car via our website.

*Please note they might not have referred to me as Gorgeous, I think it was beautiful :-)

That's basically what Hyundai Ireland said to me last week although they weren't 100% sure at that point whether they would be offering online orders. Price should be confirmed by the end of August at the latest.

I've just been offered my UK order delivered and on the road for September. Had to turn it down and ask them to keep to my January 17th delivery. :(

online orders = zero discount

But I guess it seems to work for Tesla. Make something that lots of people want, don't put an overly outrageous price on it and it will sell.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

But I guess it seems to work for Tesla. Make something that lots of people want, don't put an overly outrageous price on it and it will sell.

I for one welcome the move to less bartering when purchasing new cars, always seemed a bit of con on the people who weren't strong at negotiation.

Zero discount at the moment anyway with electric....

VW sell at list price as well

Not sure about Nissan but it is only out 6 months so another 2 before they start selling it off :P

I would guess the price you get quoted is the price you pay for Ioniq

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

I for one welcome the move to less bartering when purchasing new cars, always seemed a bit of con on the people who weren't strong at negotiation.

:)

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,582 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Not sure about Nissan but it is only out 6 months so another 2 before they start selling it off :P

I was offered an SVE for €2k off list last month.

I was offered an SVE for €2k off list last month.

Give it another 2 months and that will be 4k :P

• Advertisement

I'm the opposite, but you knew that already :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Pretty much the same as Bjørn shared but here's the charge curve from Fastned.

https://twitter.com/RolandvanderPut/status/1026893622539702277

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,240 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So it charges at the same speed as the Ioniq, despite having over twice the size of battery?
    Disappointing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Not sure is this right thread to ask this ...
    I’m interest in buying the Kona EV through a company, hopefully in January .
    Not sure if I’m understanding the 100% capital allowance part,
    Say if car costs €36,000
    I can claim 12.5% of cost back (€4500) in year 1 only, or is this every year till fully written off against corporation tax ?

ELM327 wrote: »
    So it charges at the same speed as the Ioniq, despite having over twice the size of battery?
    Disappointing.

It is

No big deal with a battery this size and so efficient

350km motorway, 500km mixed is incredible

200km motorway range is a 30min charge, think everyone can live with that

It is

No big deal with a battery this size and so efficient

350km motorway, 500km mixed is incredible

200km motorway range is a 30min charge, think everyone can live with that
    The range is incredible, but they've shoved a big battery in that can't fast charge at much over 1C. Considering the Ioniq from the same company can charge at 2.8C that's not progression.

The range is great, possibly enough to tip Joe Soap over the edge to buying one... (albeit with a 10k+ premium over the ICE model it's not for everyone).. but the thoughts of a 1 hour+ stop for 80+% is silly.

That being said, I'd prefer to stop once for longer than to stop twice in my Ioniq. Especially with our crappy network

• Advertisement

The range is incredible, but they've shoved a big battery in that can't fast charge at much over 1C. Considering the Ioniq from the same company can charge at 2.8C that's not progression.

The range is great, possibly enough to tip Joe Soap over the edge to buying one... (albeit with a 10k+ premium over the ICE model it's not for everyone).. but the thoughts of a 1 hour+ stop for 80+% is silly.

That being said, I'd prefer to stop once for longer than to stop twice in my Ioniq. Especially with our crappy network

All true

I wouldnt be thinking in % charging with such a big battery

10% - 70% in Kona @ 70kW is 200km motorway, 350 mixed driving

Not bad for 35 min charging

35 min charge gets you 550km motorway range

All true

I wouldnt be thinking in % charging with such a big battery

10% - 70% in Kona @ 70kW is 200km motorway, 350 mixed driving

Not bad for 35 min charging

35 min charge gets you 550km motorway range
    The tapering starts quite aggressively in the Kona though, quite a bit before 70% IIRC

Not to mention we have no 70kW capable chargers and likely won't for the next 6-18 months given the ridiculous limbo state the network has been in since 2015.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

RonTon, I think you can accelerate that but there would be a clawback if resold.
    You can also put in all your running costs as BIK doesn't apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭RonTon

Water John wrote: »
    RonTon, I think you can accelerate that but there would be a clawback if resold.
    You can also put in all your running costs as BIK doesn't apply.

The no Bik is a huge incentive, just not sure how the other side of it works

Naughty, we've discussed many time why comparing a Kona Electric versus the basic ICE is ridiculous.

Hyundai do not need/want to sell a basic model Kona Electric. The battery version is around €5,000 (with current incentives) more than the comparable ICE.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

Naughty, we've discussed many time why comparing a Kona Electric versus the basic ICE is ridiculous.

Hyundai do not need/want to sell a basic model Kona Electric. The battery version is around €5,000 (with current incentives) more than the comparable ICE.

That may well be the case but many [not all] people do not buy the high spec ICE's. Its one of the frustrating things about trying to source a decently specced 2nd hand car in this country and is a big reason why many choose to go to the UK for their cars. Because of this if someone normally happy to buy a lower specced ICE is looking to move to EV, they will be comparing the cost of a low/mid spec ICE to a high spec EV making it less likely they that will make the plunge especially when moving to EV introduces the heretofore unknown issue of range anxiety.

creedp wrote: »
    That may well be the case but many [not all] people do not buy the high spec ICE's. Its one of the frustrating things about trying to source a decently specced 2nd hand car in this country and is a big reason why many choose to go to the UK for their cars. Because of this if someone normally happy to buy a lower specced ICE is looking to move to EV, they will be comparing the cost of a low/mid spec ICE to a high spec EV making it less likely they that will make the plunge especially when moving to EV introduces the heretofore unknown issue of range anxiety.

All the better for me when I'm buying a Kona. Hyundai Ireland will sell their full allotment so I don't think they need to worry about only providing a well specced model.

The 2018 Leaf thread doesn't have someone every other page pointing out that the Leaf is €8,000 more than a Pulsar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,816 ✭✭✭creedp

All the better for me when I'm buying a Kona. Hyundai Ireland will sell their full allotment so I don't think they need to worry about only providing a well specced model.

The 2018 Leaf thread doesn't have someone every other page pointing out that the Leaf is €8,000 more than a Pulsar.

Have no issue with your view here and absolutely Hyundai don't have to worry about supplying lower spec models as demand for higher spec models currently far exceeds available supply. However, it is probably likely that when (If) supply improves that lower spec models will be supplied in order to incentivise people to move en masse from their mid-spec ICEs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Bjørn's currently hypermiling the Kona on a track, cruising at 44km/h.

He's after doing nearly 178km on ~19% SOC :D

Averaging 7.8kWh/100km or ~820km implied range!

What the hell is hypermiling?

Driving like a prius owner to get as far as possible on a single charge.

Highlights include tailgating trucks, and accelerating very mildly followed by coasting

Driving like a prius owner to get as far as possible on a single charge.

Highlights include tailgating trucks, and accelerating very mildly followed by coasting

Not sure what the point of that is? would you ever bother doing it in real life

Cant be good for the battery/car?

Have you never seen the shoals of Leafs behind trucks on the motorway?

I don't get it myself, I prefer sports mode all way. I want to do 0-60km at silly speed then cruise on the speed limit.

I've done it once or twice when badly stuck for range, find a lorry or a bus doing 50mph and cruise behind them.

Would absolutely never do it by choice though.

Have you never seen the shoals of Leafs behind trucks on the motorway?

I don't get it myself, I prefer sports mode all way. I want to do 0-60km at silly speed then cruise on the speed limit.

I dont mind what them Leaf lads to be up to.....:P:P

• Advertisement
Advertisement