Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've done it once or twice when badly stuck for range, find a lorry or a bus doing 50mph and cruise behind them.

Would absolutely never do it by choice though.

Well you can do Donegal to Cork and back again at 44km/h now when you get the Kona :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Averaging 7.8kWh/100km or ~820km implied range!

Based on the best hypermiling result, Ioniq could do 1000km with that battery :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I've done it once or twice when badly stuck for range, find a lorry or a bus doing 50mph and cruise behind them.

Would absolutely never do it by choice though.

Leafspeed

Do see it a bit

Top Gear review of Kona EV - score 9 out of 10

Linky

Interesting little read.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

will it really do 300miles in real world ? thats 480km...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

dashoonage wrote: »
    will it really do 300miles in real world ? thats 480km...

Bjorn took it for a run to test range, he does this 93kph test a lot to make a fair comparison. Real world driving nonetheless. He managed 510kms.

Bjørn's currently hypermiling the Kona on a track, cruising at 44km/h.

How far did he get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I know he had 17% left after 700km.

Not sure of the final tally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

Any ideas on the price of the kona ev.

• Advertisement

I'd say about €35k for the high spec 64kWh (probably the only one we are getting) list price. On line ordering is bad news here. It means that you pay full whack (no discount) and also delivery and presumably you want metallic paint, so that could be €37k on the road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

unkel wrote: »
    I'd say about €35k for the high spec 64kWh (probably the only one we are getting) list price. On line ordering is bad news here. It means that you pay full whack (no discount) and also delivery and presumably you want metallic paint, so that could be €37k on the road.
    after government grants etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

How does online ordering work with a trade in ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

In the UK version, which I didnt spend a whole pile of time on, it gave you option to fill in details....

I would guess they just offer it to trade and give you a price....don;t expect anything too hectic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Probably better off selling privately than going for a trade in.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Bjorn made it 830km in 22.5 hours. Average speed would be around 37km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

liamog wrote: »
    Bjorn made it 830km in 22.5 hours. Average speed would be around 37km/h

Amazing what you could do if you were stuck.

Any idea what he made in the Ioniq, or if he hypermiled it?

He didn't hypermile Ioniq. But someone got 431 km in Ioniq and had 3.5% battery left. With the 64kWh battery that would mean a range of over 1,000km :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

UK youtuber the EV Puzzle is due to get his Kona very soon.

Could be worth keeping an eye out.

He produced videos testing various EVs before deciding on the Kona.

He ordered his Kona and according to his latest video is expecting it in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

See a Red Premium SE Ioniq, 2 months old on Autotrader for sale because the guy has a confirmed date for his Kona

Yep saw that, crazy stuff. I guess he can't go far wrong, he won't lose much money on the Ioniq as demand is so strong.

• Advertisement

ei9go wrote: »
    See a Red Premium SE Ioniq, 2 months old on Autotrader for sale because the guy has a confirmed date for his Kona

A fool and his money

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    ei9go wrote: »

A fool and his money

It's arguable he made a mistake taking on the Ioniq if he likes long trips and a 64 kwh car on its way.

He probably thought he'd be waiting ages like he probably did for the Ioniq (if it were a car he ordered from factory).

I'm surprised how fast some of the early Kona dates were in the end given Hyundais ability (or lack off) to deliver EVs in a reasonable time up to know.

Last I heard on here - you cant even get an Ioniq ordered over here.

That's the sort of background againsed which an owner will take a decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Any movement on Irish orders, will the initial set be on-line as in the UK, ( will tick off dealers to no end am guessing ) , or will it be through conventional channels....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hyundai have said to a few people that prices for Ireland will be confirmed by the end of the month. They have also said that they will hopefully have an online system but that hasn't been confirmed.

I contacted my local dealer and they had heard nothing, and weren't best pleased either. They were to investigate and get back to me but I haven't heard since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Kona 64kWh EPA range is official, 258miles / 415km.

Combined 120 MPGe. From what I can see only the Model 3 and Ioniq better that.

Not sure if I'm reading the data correctly but it appears the Kona is rated for 226miles/363km 'highway' range. The Ioniq is rated for 110miles/177km which seems pretty solid.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/20/hyundai-kona-electric-official-epa-range-efficiency/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 282 ✭✭FriendsEV

Not sure if I'm reading the data correctly but it appears the Kona is rated for 226miles/363km 'highway' range. The Ioniq is rated for 110miles/177km which seems pretty solid.

https://electrek.co/2018/08/20/hyundai-kona-electric-official-epa-range-efficiency/

Wow

More than double the range of the Ioniq on highway

Future is here

Finally

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

If the Ioniq is rated for 177 km highway, when it is easily capable of 190-210, then the kona would easily be capable of 410km range using the following calc. ((363)/(200/177))

The kona has its limitations (mainly charge speed and ground clearance) but if they can get enough of them here they will sell like wildfire. Perfect for taxis too with the grant.

ELM327 wrote: »
    If the Ioniq is rated for 177 km highway, when it is easily capable of 190-210, then the kona would easily be capable of 410km range using the following calc. ((363)/(200/177))

((363)*(200/177)) :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

unkel wrote: »
    ((363)*(200/177)) :)
    Yes, easily done at 730am before coffee. :o:o
    I worked it out correctly but wrote it down wrong, as they say in countdown I have it but it's not written down!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Was in Fairview today and sales man said no Kona or ioniq until January in his opinion.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    Was in Fairview today and sales man said no Kona or ioniq until January in his opinion.

Did he say anything about whether he's taking Ioniq orders at all?????.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Currently doing up business case for work to trial electric car for my next fleet vehicle. Hoping the range on the Kona swings it...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Old diesel wrote: »
    Did he say anything about whether he's taking Ioniq orders at all?????.

Not specifically, but stated that there wasn’t a chance of seeing one before January. I’m sure if you pushed and said I want to order, they’ll take it no problem.

deliveries starting in the UK in the next 2 -3 weeks by all accounts....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Dglflyer wrote: »

and Ireland yet to get even a price

Dglflyer wrote: »

and Ireland yet to get even a price

Could be Brexit related.

A no deal Brexit messes up bringing in cars next April.

Makes sense for Hyundai to try and get as many UK orders fulfilled prior to 29th March 2019.

You can then send more Irish cars after that on normal Korea to EU trading terms even if the UK is hard to get cars into in a bad Brexit scenario.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

More likely due to waiting for 191 switchover, car sales in Ireland are very cyclical.

• Advertisement

Could be Brexit related.

A no deal Brexit messes up bringing in cars next April.

Makes sense for Hyundai to try and get as many UK orders fulfilled prior to 29th March 2019.

You can then send more Irish cars after that on normal Korea to EU trading terms even if the UK is hard to get cars into in a bad Brexit scenario.

Nothing to do with Brexit....why would Brexit affect an Irish price? we don't even trade in same currency.....

If that was the case the rest of Europe would have no pricing.....

Pics up on Kona facebook page, Hyundai garages have them in stock in UK

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I presume poster is thinking in terms of RHD models for the European market.

Water John wrote: »

If the UK has them sitting in their dealers I do not understand why Hyundai Ireland do not even have a price...

Not asking for a demo....but a price.....

They can't blame Euro because every other country in Europe has released pricing

Cannot place RHD because UK has them, NZ have them etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just wondering what is the difference between Irish and UK specification cars in general. (Apart from the obvious Kms/Miles)

Because I noticed on a New Zealand video that they(New Zealand) are getting the Irish spec Kona EV.

Perhaps a reason for our slowness in pricing and availability?

If the UK has them sitting in their dealers I do not understand why Hyundai Ireland do not even have a price...

Not asking for a demo....but a price.....

They can't blame Euro because every other country in Europe has released pricing

Cannot place RHD because UK has them, NZ have them etc etc

Maybe the guy who does pricing for 191 models only comes into work at the end of October

Water John wrote: »

Yes exactly.

To make up a figure.

Say there is 20 k RHD cars to be built in a car factory for Europe..

To minimise the Brexit impact - you might as a manufacturer opt to make as many UK cars as possible now to get as many cars into the UK before March 29th 2019*.

Meaning Irish cars have to wait.

The Brexit impact for UK deliveries to UK market in a no deal situation include.

1) customs delays as no proper agreed treatys for normal trading into and out of the UK to all countries. Some of this delay will be caused by goods that arrived earlier

2) extra costs.

The price situation is presumably due to the cars not being due for a while.

• Advertisement

Yes exactly.

To make up a figure.

Say there is 20 k RHD cars to be built in a car factory for Europe..

To minimise the Brexit impact - you might as a manufacturer opt to make as many UK cars as possible now to get as many cars into the UK before March 29th 2019*.

Meaning Irish cars have to wait.

The Brexit impact for UK deliveries to UK market in a no deal situation include.

1) customs delays as no proper agreed treatys for normal trading into and out of the UK to all countries. Some of this delay will be caused by goods that arrived earlier

2) extra costs.

The price situation is presumably due to the cars not being due for a while.

That would make sense if they hadn't got a load of them sitting in NZ :p

eagerv wrote: »
    Just wondering what is the difference between Irish and UK specification cars in general. (Apart from the obvious Kms/Miles)

Because I noticed on a New Zealand video that they(New Zealand) are getting the Irish spec Kona EV.

Perhaps a reason for our slowness in pricing and availability?

I would guess it is digital display so the miles/km would be a setting in the display

No idea on difference as the Irish spec hasn't been announced either :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

liamog wrote: »
    More likely due to waiting for 191 switchover, car sales in Ireland are very cyclical.

This I'd say. The UK number plates change in March and September, so it makes sense to have them available in the UK at those dates, and make sure they're available in January and July for Ireland's number plate changes.

Belgium just got pushed from September to January....this is due to sales in Netherlands....

Tick tock tick tock till we find out :-)

Looks like the smaller European countries are getting push down the time scales

Belgium just got pushed from September to January....this is due to sales in Netherlands....

Cars sold out straight away in NL when they came up a month or two ago. Waiting list now 11 months.

• Advertisement
Advertisement