Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,888 ✭✭✭zg3409

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would guess it is digital display so the miles/km would be a setting

I am driving a UK import ioniq There is no setting to change the main speedo to km. As such it seems to be factory set in the instrument cluster. If new Zealand is km, which I think it is, they would need Irish spec cluster and same side drive, so same as Ireland.

Note for UK imports including northern ireland you can change the sat nav to km, and some other setting to km, but not the main display. Speed in Km is shown on a sub display. There is also slight differences in Canadian display etc. Someone suggested the specific set up is a uk law where speed must display in miles and km, but no way to make km the main display . There is a video on YouTube of a guy who managed to reprogram a cluster to show km:

https://youtu.be/n8spo1bcxAw

They probably need the cluster and they are tight lipped in the method, they also did not respond to my messages...

It is annoying having cruise control in miles and power consumption in kW per mile etc.

Similar issue occurs with digital display Yaris from 2002 or later.

I pass through the north of Ireland regularly and it is a pain of no easy way to switch over and back on many modern cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

zg3409 wrote: »
    I pass through the north of Ireland regularly and it is a pain of no easy way to switch over and back on many modern cars.

I know that might not sound like a big deal to a lot of people but as a relatively new driver that would actually make me think twice about the car :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

There is a lad on the Journal (http://jrnl.ie/4196606) who says he spoke to a dealer who told him the Kona won't be on sale until March, sound about right?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

If its going to be that hard to get a kona ev  , will seriously condsider the 2019 nissan leaf,  Will have enough range by then and will have its battery issue sorted I believe.  Waiting for kona is turning into waiting for godot

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dglflyer wrote: »
    the 2019 nissan leaf,  Will have enough range by then and will have its battery issue sorted I believe.

The 2019 Leaf is still a pipe dream at this point.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Good Morning Liam

Many thanks for your enquiry..

We can now confirm that we will be publishing price and spec for KONA electric on our website from September 1 onwards.

Our dealer network will also have information on KONA electric from September 1 onwards.

Kind regards,

Just received from Hyundai Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,745 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Day after tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Got the same email. No mention of online ordering systems, like in the UK, so I'd say it will be through normal dealer channels as they mentioned the dealers having the info too on Sep 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

KCross wrote: »
    Got the same email. No mention of online ordering systems, like in the UK, so I'd say it will be through normal dealer channels as they mentioned the dealers having the info too on Sep 1.

I am signed up for updates.....got no email....

I must be in bad books :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Me too.

• Advertisement

For some reason I only got email just now, it was sent at 10 this morning :-)

Stupid internet

I wonder what the PCP offer will be?

In UK it is 5.9%

Most of the Irish cars are 3.9% which wouldn't be too bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

liamog wrote: »
    Good Morning Liam

Many thanks for your enquiry..

We can now confirm that we will be publishing price and spec for KONA electric on our website from September 1 onwards.

Our dealer network will also have information on KONA electric from September 1 onwards.

Kind regards,

Just received from Hyundai Ireland

I wonder does that mean the dealers will have details about when/how we could order?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

i was talking with a dealer yesterday. he said he had no firm info at all & all the speculation on webdites was just speculation. Best he could suggest was put me on a callback list.

he thinks they'll be 191 & around feb/mar
    thinks it'll be 64kwh
    no idea of price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,239 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

daheff wrote: »
    i was talking with a dealer yesterday. he said he had no firm info at all & all the speculation on webdites was just speculation. Best he could suggest was put me on a callback list.

thinks it'll be 64kw
    no idea of price

I think they will be a lot higher than 64kW
    150kW/201hp listed here
    https://ev-database.uk/car/1126/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh

Same

daheff wrote: »

thinks it'll be 64kw
    no idea of price

I was talking to mate, told him about Kona yesterday.....

So he rang his Hyundai dealer. Asked about the Kona electric. The guys hadn't a clue what he was talking about, didn't even know Hyundai had an electric kona

He just said "Mate your asleep at the wheel" and hung up :P:P:P:P:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

ELM327 wrote: »
    150kW/201hp listed here
    https://ev-database.uk/car/1126/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh

Think 64 kWh was meant.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

I was talking to mate, told him about Kona yesterday.....

So he rang his Hyundai dealer. Asked about the Kona electric. The guys hadn't a clue what he was talking about, didn't even know Hyundai had an electric kona

He just said "Mate your asleep at the wheel" and hung up :P:P:P:P:P

I emailed a dealer yesterday I have been keeping contact with and he stated pricing would not be released until October. Also didnt get any updates from Hyundai after signing up for the updates months back. Seems not all dealers are bring kept up to date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

This is poor stuff - dealers not been kept updated and informed buyers end up taking the business elsewhere.

The contrast to Toyota and the Camry is off the scale.

Different car i know and the Kona is a more future proof product.

But the info on Camry is getting out a lot better with solid time frames etc.

Means a prospective non geek customer can have confidence in waiting a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Old diesel wrote: »
    This is poor stuff - dealers not been kept updated and informed buyers end up taking the business elsewhere.

But arent you mad for toyotas :)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

Got e-mail yesterday. Was taking a small number of refundable deposits for first refusal on the first Konas they would be getting, presumably to existing Ioniq customers. Pricing was to be "this weekend".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

ELM327 wrote: »

Same

Apologies- typing on phone. should have read 64kwh. Have edited post

UK motoring writers are doing a challenge with the Kona.

On Twitter they are tweeting under #konarally hastag.

A Hyundai thing as there's a fair few Konas involved.

Theyve to visit checkpoints and see how far they can get in 12 hours apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

gar wrote: »
    Currently doing up business case for work to trial electric car for my next fleet vehicle. Hoping the range on the Kona swings it...

Right this has been shot down for now, not by my boss but by fleet company due to unknowns regarding resale value of EVs with high mileage... :-(

But the Camry is a a heap of sh*t.....:P

Toyota know they have a small window....the more cars they sell the quicker....once the larger clamp down on hybrid they will struggle to sell

At the moment they are selling strong with hybrid...better to keep that up

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,595 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Right this has been shot down for now, not by my boss but by fleet company due to unknowns regarding resale value of EVs with high mileage... :-(
    not just high mileage, just the rate of change in the EV/PHEV/etc market

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

But the Camry is a a heap of sh*t.....:P

Toyota know they have a small window....the more cars they sell the quicker....once the larger clamp down on hybrid they will struggle to sell

At the moment they are selling strong with hybrid...better to keep that up

Yes as I said the Kona is more future proof.

I'm just observing the difference in communications between two manufacturers.

Following the "rally".

Nothing of huge interest yet.

Except that white with a black roof looks awesome.

I'd have that with light coloured leather.

Yes as I said the Kona is more future proof.

I'm just observing the difference in communications between two manufacturers.

Toyota need to get as many on order as possible and on the road as soon as possible....they know they are flogging a dead horse....

Hyundai know they are onto a good thing, they are selling out before they even launch....the Kona could be around in 6-7 years with a minor refresh and still have a 64kWh battery

Will a Camry hybrid be? I doubt it

Will a Camry hybrid be? I doubt it

They're self charging though. You never have to plug them in. That's very handy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

I may be in the same situation so... was it avis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

I may be in the same situation so... was it avis?

Leaseplan

Leaseplan

Leaseplan are a disaster. I have had a "discussion" with them since the budget last year....

More or less they don't want to know about electric because as far as they are concerned all electric cars at present have a replacement in the pipeline so they more or less charge you the cost of the car over the lease as they expect little or no resale value at the end of lease....

Will that change with Kona/Niro? I doubt it.....

Rather then talk to leasing companies who are not fully up to speed yet and just want to horse out a load of 1.6 tdis or Hybrids.

Perhaps a chat with the fleet people at Hyundai Ireland might work.

MIGHT is the operative word here.

If Hyundai are serious about EVs then it would make sense for them to facilitate any fleet business thats out there.

Worth a try - worst they will say is "we can't do anything".

Updates from the Rally.

500 miles in 12 hours was achieved*.

Main issue for the reviewers was some chargers not working. Normal charger issues nothing to do with Kona I understand.

Highly positive about the car.

Very happy with range.

*VITAL to remember that the challenge involved visiting checkpoints etc so - random routes. A direct motorway route will show superior results

Rather then talk to leasing companies who are not fully up to speed yet and just want to horse out a load of 1.6 tdis or Hybrids.

If Hyundai are serious about EVs then it would make sense for them to facilitate any fleet business thats out there.

Most companies have a single provider. I cannot deal with anyone else.

Most companies have a single provider. I cannot deal with anyone else.

That really sucks regardless of the electric car issue.

Updates from the Rally.

We need a 500 mile race: Kona vs L40 :pac:

unkel wrote: »
    Carefiul there don't be scaremongering :eek::rolleyes:

unkel wrote: »
    Updates from the Rally.

When the L40 arrives (eventually).

The Kona driver will have....

1) gone for a swim.

2) had a 3 course meal.

3) chilled out for an hour or 2.

4) be feeling happy and relaxed as they see a stressed/annoyed/tired Leaf 40 driver arrive in.

That's the difference a beautifully designed Hyundai/LG chem combination makes.

Hyundai are pretty much the affordable EV leader at the moment.

There's a case for the Zoe (especially 2nd hand) if you can get one fast. And a minor case for the eGolf if it suits your driving needs. And don't like Zoe or Hyundai

But really Hyundai have set the very high benchmark for every one else including Renault to hit

• Advertisement

1) gone for a swim.

2) had a 3 course meal.

4) be feeling happy and relaxed as they see a stressed/annoyed/tired Leaf 40 driver arrive in.

There's a case for the Zoe (especially 2nd hand) if you can get one fast. And a minor case for the eGolf if it suits your driving needs. And don't like Zoe or Hyundai

But really Hyundai have set the very high benchmark for every one else including Renault to hit

If only they made and delivered some to the country! :)

So far this year for all EV's.. .Nissan 567, Hyundai 91!!!
    I bet the 567 will be closer to 1000 by Dec and Hyundai will still be around 100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I bet the 567 will be closer to 1000 by Dec and Hyundai will still be around 100.

I would think you're probably right. Hopefully, next year will see better choices for EV purchasers. Will Kona and Niro be as readily available as the L40? Who knows.:(

1) gone for a swim.

2) had a 3 course meal.

Supply is pretty much Hyundais achilles heel without a doubt.

However I see that as an easier issue to fix then say Nissans product offering needing improvement.

Time will tell how the Kia Niro or Leaf 60 compare.

The question marks over Kia and Nissan are....

1) Kia as I understand are using a different battery supplier.

2) Nissan their electric car rep is somewhat hampered by rapidgate

I would think you're probably right. Hopefully, next year will see better choices for EV purchasers. Will Kona and Niro be as readily available as the L40? Who knows.:(

I bet there will be as many Leaf 40kWh's available as the market wants to buy.

I bet there will be a limited supply of the Kona and Niro (several hundred of each... mention of 700 Kona's) and then you go on a waiting list for 2020 once they are gone.

Supply is pretty much Hyundais achilles heel without a doubt.

However I see that as an easier issue to fix then say Nissans product offering needing improvement.

ON the contrary. rapidgate is much easier to fix for Nissan. They have already apparently secured LG Chem batteries for the next gen Leaf which have active cooling.

Its not clear Hyundai and Kia have resolved their supply issues.

Time will tell how the Kia Niro or Leaf 60 compare.

The question marks over Kia and Nissan are....

1) Kia as I understand are using a different battery supplier.

2) Nissan their electric car rep is somewhat hampered by rapidgate

Clearly the Korean's are better at EV's than the Japanese right now. I'd expect the Kona and Niro to be better than anything Nissan deliver in 2019/2020.

Its not much good if you cant get your hands on it though and the Leaf is also more affordable so it will have a wider reach than a Niro or Kona which will be €35k+

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I bet there will be as many Leaf 40kWh's available as the market wants to buy.

I bet there will be a limited supply of the Kona and Niro (several hundred of each... mention of 700 Kona's) and then you go on a waiting list for 2020 once they are gone.

I agree with all of the above.

I only need one. :D (won't be a Leaf 40 though)

When all are available the test should be

Kona/Niro 39kWh v Leaf 40kWh
    Kona/Niro 64kWh v Leaf 60kWh v Neo XXkWh

By the time the Leaf 60KWh becomes available then VW will be available as well.....

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Its not clear Hyundai and Kia have resolved their supply issues.

If Nissan can obtain packs from LG Chem for the L60, Hyundai can obtain them for the Kona.

Now, whether they feel it's in their strategic interests to produce enough to fulfill demand is a different question. It is hard to fathom Hyundai's strategy here.

This is the problem.
    Leafs are available now, and no other EV is readily available so Nissan are capturing the market.

• Advertisement

liamog wrote: »
    If Nissan can obtain packs from LG Chem for the L60, Hyundai can obtain them for the Kona.

Now, whether they feel it's in their strategic interests to produce enough to fulfill demand is a different question. It is hard to fathom Hyundai's strategy here.

Yea, I'd say there is a bit of that going on alright. They need to keep the ICE train moving too.

However, its not as simple as just rocking up and saying we need a ten fold increase in our battery order. LG Chem, according to cros13 and others, are at capacity until new battery plants come on stream so maybe they cant get more batteries for the Kona... we don't know.

I'm sure Hyundai/Kia could have taken Nissan's supply a few years back and crowded them out but they didn't, so they might just have to wait now until LG Chem et al can get more plants online.

The EV market, as we know, is very different to the traditional ICE market. Just because you are a big rich corporate car company for decades doesn't mean you can make as many EV's as you like at short notice. It takes time (years) to get battery supply sorted.

Advertisement