Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

liamog wrote: »
    It is hard to fathom Hyundai's strategy here.

Indeed. My guess is the Hyundai / Kia #1 strategic priority is to take over the budget EV / PHEV segment in the USA and swipe Toyota and their hybrids out of the way. Very aggressive, but potentially very profitable long term. Hyundai cars already have the second highest margin of all mainstream cars (only BMW have higher margins)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would say Nissan are selling ATM not particularly capturing market share. Don't think many EV owners will feel a particular loyalty to the Leaf when something else becomes readily available.

KCross wrote: »
    I'm sure Hyundai/Kia could have taken Nissan's supply a few years back and crowded them out but they didn't

Quite likely they had no idea back then that the worldwide move to EV would happen so quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

unkel wrote: »
    Quite likely they had no idea back then that the worldwide move to EV would happen so quickly

For sure. If they had their time back they wouldn't have given you scrappage either on the Ioniq and I bet they wont offer it on any new EV's coming down the track because they know they can name their price for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

ELM327 wrote: »
    This is the problem.
    Leafs are available now, and no other EV is readily available so Nissan are capturing the market.

Capturing a market that is 1% of the total market.....

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Capturing a market that is 1% of the total market.....

[COLOR=inherit !important]

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }[/COLOR]
    Which used to be a lot less. I'd guess if there were more Ioniqs for sale and egolfs and konas too, along with leafs, the market would be bigger. Especially as the price for LI-Ion is coming down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gar

Most companies have a single provider. I cannot deal with anyone else.

Yup ill be the same boat, there is an argument for an alternate fleet co that will provide reasonable leasing costs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 619 ✭✭✭slicedpanman

Confirmation from a dealer... On sale 5th Nov
    Only 1 spec, 64kwh
    No details on trim level
    Price after grant 32k
    No scrappage

Not a bad price at all if its for the high spec 64kWh.
    That would send the cat among the pigeons. Nissan might have to rethink 40kWh prices... but then again if the Kona sells out quick with no new stock for 12 months it wont matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Only 1 spec, 64kwh
    No details on trim level
    Price after grant 32k
    No scrappage

Sounds promising, and maybe not the price gouge I expected.

But I wouldn't take any dealers word on it. Not even my local who has been very helpful.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »

But I wouldn't take any dealers word on it. Not even my local who has been very helpful.

Would you buy it at that price Phil over waiting for the Niro?

Whats your UK order costing you again?

Only 1 spec, 64kwh
    No details on trim level
    Price after grant 32k
    No scrappage

It was from my local dealer, says it's the info for tomorrow's announcement.
    Says limited availability... But we all knew that already.
    Full spec details available later, sounds like they will not be out tomorrow.
    But at that price I'd say not the top trim

Decent price if it is officially confirmed - I think I'd be in with a reservation in Nov 5th

FYI

1809 Kona petrol/diesel sold this year so far so the shape/style etc wont be an issue for people according to that.

345 are the 1.6 Diesel which retails at €25k
    1387 are the 1.0l petrol which retail at €21k, €23k, €26k, €27k depending on trim.
    77 are the automatic petrol for €30k

Its not a big jump up to €32k from most of those prices if you are doing any decent amount of mileage. The fuel, tax, servicing savings will recoup the difference quickly enough and they are very likely to hold their value better.

I just hope the Niro is in or around €32k too.

Would you buy it at that price Phil over waiting for the Niro?

Whats your UK order costing you again?

I still won't be signing for anything until I have the prices for the Niro.

The UK order is around £32.5k sterling, still haven't worked out what it would come to after grant, after tax, after tax rebate and after vrt.

I still won't be signing for anything until I have the prices for the Niro.

The UK order is around £32.5k sterling, still haven't worked out what it would come to after grant, after tax, after tax rebate and after vrt.

Clearly there is something wrong/different there then.

A Kona in the UK for £32.5k wont be retailing €32k here surely? The trim level must be different.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If they only give us the Premium Spec then we lose

* Electric Seat Adjustments (driver & passenger)
    * Heated & Ventilated Seats
    * Leather Seat Trim
    * Cornering Lights
    * LED Headlights
    * High Beam Assist
    * Heated Steering Wheel
    * HUD

Pricing is out....most of you probably have

A single spec and no idea what it will be....ordering will be in November with demo probably coming in October

As price is on internet

Pricing has been released for the Kona EV and is coming in at €35,995 excluding delivery & metallic and including government grants.

Ireland will get one spec only and will have the higher 64Kw battery.

The car will be available to order from November 5th during national Hyundai open week.

Still no definite date on when the demonstrator model will arrive but hoping for October.

Price on internet of €37,845 including delivery and metallic paint.

Ouch 4k higher then what my dealer quoted me

That would be the 39kWh version

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

Irish pricing and availability announced - Jan 2019, €35,995 nett of VRT exemption & SEAI grant:

http://www.hyundai.ie/home/all-new-kona-electric.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

I'm being quoted €37845 including delivery and metallic paint

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

gizmo555 wrote: »
    Irish pricing and availability announced - Jan 2019, €35,995 nett of VRT exemption & SEAI grant:

http://www.hyundai.ie/home/all-new-kona-electric.html

based off this I'd expect the Niro to be around 38-40k

both are outside my price bracket. Leaf it is for me so.

That would be the 39kWh version
    Nope... Dealer clearly stated 64kwh long range.

Clearly dealer was incorrect, should I be surprised?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I'm genuinely not sure how it can be worth E10k more than an ioniq?

28kWh v 64kWh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Some price for a small hyundai. They'll sell them out no bother but it's a bit of a rip off.

Doesn't list ventilated seats, so it's not the top spec.

Edit, also no HUD.

Clearly there is something wrong/different there then.

A Kona in the UK for £32.5k wont be retailing €32k here surely? The trim level must be different.

That £ price is the top spec including metallic paint.

28kWh v 64kWh

Well yeah.....but how much are people willing to pay for that extra range. Personally I do a lot of driving, so I'm using rapids maybe 2 or 3 times a week... But over 3 years would I pay an additional E10,000 to avoid that.... ? Which would equate to ~E20 extra per charge avoided (and I'm an atypically heavy use).....

• Advertisement

Well yeah.....but how much are people willing to pay for that extra range. Personally I do a lot of driving, so I'm using rapids maybe 2 or 3 times a week... But over 3 years would I pay an additional E10,000 to avoid that.... ? Which would equate to ~E20 extra per charge avoided (and I'm an atypically heavy use).....

Once those rapids get more and more difficult to access, both by a disintegrating network and increasing car numbers, what is the extra range worth to you then?

My eGolf will be staying put for another while :P

Only 1 spec, 64kwh
    No details on trim level
    Price after grant 32k
    No scrappage
    Not a bad price at all if its for the high spec 64kWh.
    That would send the cat among the pigeons. Nissan might have to rethink 40kWh prices... but then again if the Kona sells out quick with no new stock for 12 months it wont matter.
    Pricing is out....most of you probably have

A single spec and no idea what it will be....ordering will be in November with demo probably coming in October

As price is on internet

Pricing has been released for the Kona EV and is coming in at €35,995 excluding delivery & metallic and including government grants.

Ireland will get one spec only and will have the higher 64Kw battery.

The car will be available to order from November 5th during national Hyundai open week.

Still no definite date on when the demonstrator model will arrive but hoping for October.

Price on internet of €37,845 including delivery and metallic paint.

Pigeons won then! Thats a depressing price.

At a full €10k more than its diesel/petrol equivalent and limited supply I don't think Nissan will need to look at their Leaf pricing at all and depreciation is secured for a few years yet as this car wont be competing with the Leaf at all now at that price.

I know its got a lot more range but thats steep for a CUV. Irish public will continue to lap up the diesel at €10k less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

https://www.hyundai.co.uk/new-cars/kona-electric

vs

http://www.hyundai.ie/home/all-new-kona-electric.html#

SO MUCH IS MISSING IN OUR VERSION. Park assists and guidance system, HUD, lane follow assist, type pressure monitoring system, blind spot detecting, pedestrian recognition, KRELL Premium Audio - 8 Speaker + Subwoofer, tyre repair kit, sunglasses holder, windscreen washer fluid sensor and warning indicator. Sun visors, regenerative brake shift paddles, heated steering wheel, electric seat adjustment and height adjustment, cup holders, battery heater, cruise control with adaptive speed control and stop and go function. high beam assist, full LED headlights, cornering lights.

I'm very much confused. Are we even getting a Kona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Might enquire what it would cost to upgrade from my Ioniq, given how well they're holding value.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

RedorDead wrote: »
    I make the cheapest 64kw model landed price here (new import on uk prices) at €44k, then remove your grants and you have your net import price.

I was €1000 too low - not a bad guess!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The spec sheet is clearly a work in progress,

They have it listed with "Paddle Shift"

My local dealer contacted me to say that it's "executive spec".

I told him I was out.

My local dealer contacted me to say that it's "executive spec".

I told him I was out.

What is executive spec? half way house compared to the 2 UK spec's??

What is executive spec? half way house compared to the 2 UK spec's??

Sounds like a more polite version of Paddy Spec.

Mid range UK model but with leather seats I think describes it best. UK has 3 specs, base, Premium and Premium SE.

Ah well, if I do buy the UK one then it'll be a rare breed on Irish roads and hopefully hold its value more.

That's a bit disappointing. About a grand more than most of us thought and the spec is not as good as Ioniq (no lane keep assist and no active cruise?), although it does have leather seats

But as others said, they'll all sell no bother and then there will be a waiting list.

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    That's a bit disappointing. About a grand more than most of us thought and the spec is not as good as Ioniq (no lane keep assist and no active cruise?), although it does have leather seats

But as others said, they'll all sell no bother and then there will be a waiting list.

The spec sheet will be updated. All of that will be included. Look at mid spec in UK

Its the nice to have like HUD etc they have pulled

At least after all the messing with no leather seats on Ioniq they have fixed that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Is the Ioniq basically the same, one spec while there are 3 in the UK or am i miss-remembering reading that ?

One spec here in Ireland, which is the basic spec (Premium) in the UK. The high spec one over there (Premium SE) also has leather, blind spot warning, heated seats in the rear, front park distance control. From the top of my head, maybe I'm missing something

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

It's the lack of LED headlights that would be a no deal for me, after being used to either them or Xenons for years.

With my rural driving they are a necessity for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

I thought it was SE-Premium-Premium SE in the UK and we got the SE with leather and 1 or 2 other bits

No we got the premium. Pretty good spec, has LED all round too, heated seats, active cruise, lane keep assist (autonomous driving level 2), auto lights, auto wipers, android auto, apple carplay, etc. but obviously missing leather. The other extras I mentioned aren't really that desirable imho

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

No HUD, only 7" touchscreen, low powered audio.

They don't even mention Nav?

Even the UK mid spec has the larger screen..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,960 ✭✭✭Soarer

So are the Kona and the Niro pretty much the same thing?

Soarer wrote: »
    So are the Kona and the Niro pretty much the same thing?

Same battery.

The Kona is smaller inside by what looks like a fair amount. The only thing it has that the Niro doesn't I believe is the HUD.

The Niro seems considerably bigger but as a result the range will suffer. How much, we should hopefully know next week when Bjorn gets his hands on one in Korea.

The Niro will most likely be pricier, how much more is anybody guess.

unkel wrote:
    One spec here in Ireland, which is the basic spec (Premium) in the UK. The high spec one over there (Premium SE) also has leather, blind spot warning, heated seats in the rear, front park distance control. From the top of my head, maybe I'm missing something

Air conditioned from seats and powered driver seat....

• Advertisement
Advertisement