Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I'd be happy with the UK Premium spec at that price, another thing lacking from the Irish spec sheet, Central Locking, though it does seem we get Front and Rear Brakes which the UK don't :)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

The UK gets the 8 inch display , Ireland only gets the 7 inch display, WTF..

That kind of sh*t just gets to me...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

I know some here love dealers/importers for their ability to negotiate a price, but this spec sheets really shows why I wish you could order from the factory.

I think it might be the 2019 leaf for me. At least I wont be treated as a second class citizen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Dglflyer wrote: »
    I think it might be the 2019 leaf for me. At least I wont be treated as a second class citizen.

1 - what 2019 Leaf?

2 - if you ask me, mass manufacture of crappy rear axles, increased battery degradation and #rapidgate all point to Nissan customers being treated like second class citizens for years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

liamog wrote: »
    I know some here love dealers/importers for their ability to negotiate a price, but this spec sheets really shows why I wish you could order from the factory.

People comment negatively on the likes of Audi having large options lists.

But imo that's A LOT better then what Hyundai appear to have on offer here.

Let the customer decide what they'd like on their car.

Either with trim level upgrades or the ability to spec various options

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Old diesel wrote: »

In some ways I agree with you. But the downside to that is you rarely get it back on resale. Any extras are usually depreciated to (almost)0 on trade in. Whereas with 2-3/4 standard variations already built in, you do get something back on higher spec cost vehicle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

daheff wrote: »
    Old diesel wrote: »

In some ways I agree with you. But the downside to that is you rarely get it back on resale. Any extras are usually depreciated to (almost)0 on trade in. Whereas with 2-3/4 standard variations already built in, you do get something back on higher spec cost vehicle.

I would see a trim level upgrade as been able to go for a Premium SE upgrade on top of what a Premium offers (to use a UK Hyundai spec example.

Or on a Ford going from Zetec to Titanium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

People buying EVs are typically early adoptors who place a certain value on technology. Hyundai are missing an opportunity by not stuffing the Kona full of toys, even if it means selling at a premium.

• Advertisement

I just don't see the logic.

These cars are being made in the same place as the UK versions. Why not offer the same options?

The only reason I can see is to blur the lines on how much more expensive the Irish car is.

Make a mid range car that costs the top range UK price and throw in leather seats to make it look like top spec.

I connected with various members of Hyundais marketing team on linkedIn when the Kona first came out. I have let them know how disappointed I was that the Irish were being treated as second class citizens . As this is the only recourse ( other than buying another brand ) I would encourage others to do the same , "the squeaky wheel gets the oil "....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

I connected with various members of Hyundais marketing team on linkedIn when the Kona first came out. I have let them know how disappointed I was that the Irish were being treated as second class citizens . As this is the only recourse ( other than buying another brand ) I would encourage others to do the same , "the squeaky wheel gets the oil "....

Second class citizen, that’s a bit ott... I’m amazed by the standard spec of the ev Kona, compared to your average small family car is the spec not much higher than anything in the market, what else comes with leather as standard in this sized car?

Obviously they could load more extras but that will also increase the price to north of 40k v quickly leaving it as a real niche option.

Casati wrote: »
    Obviously they could load more extras but that will also increase the price to north of 40k v quickly leaving it as a real niche option.

Then give people all 3 options. If the top spec is north of €40k then people are free to choose the cheaper version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭meep

I would forego the leather in favour of extra tech and toys. Everyday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Second class citizen, that’s a bit ott... I’m amazed by the standard spec of the ev Kona, compared to your average small family car is the spec not much higher than anything in the market, what else comes with leather as standard in this sized car?

I for one am not amazed by the standard spec on the Kona EV.

I am disappointed, hoping the Kona would be my first EV (And first hyundai) with the sort of spec included we have been reading about in other countries. I was happy to pay more for this.

My present mid spec small ICE comes with a lot more useful standard items, such as LED lights, adaptive cruise control, glass opening roof and a decent sound system. All for about 7K less.

However Hyundai will have no problem selling the few that they get.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

The reality is the it is easy and at least as economical to goto the UK and get the spec from an Hyundai EV that you actually want. This is what I did with the ioniq and it is what I would do with an Kona now.
    I genuinely think that the lack of choice it primarily driven by ignorance with Hyundai Ireland. The reality is that the majority of Hyundai sales and marketing staff genuinely have not got a ****ing clue about their customer profile for EVs. They think they the average EV customer if the same as the average i30 customer. Maybe the average i30 customer does not care about extras and bells and whistles but the EV owner does. They are by default early adapters, who for the most part have don't very extensive research and know more about the product then those seeking it.
    Anyone of us who have dealt with Hyundai in the last couple of years know how uninformed the car majority are. All other things being equal I would much rather spend my money in Ireland, but all other things are not at all equal...(bit ranty, sorry)

The reality is the it is easy and at least as economical to goto the UK and get the spec from an Hyundai EV that you actually want.

For the Kona it's not that simple though.

Brexit date is April 2019. After that we have no clue how imports will be affected. And to get a Kona before that, you have to buy it brand new and import. And that is a very complicated process as I'm currently finding out.

Where do you pay VAT, where do you claim your grant, how much is the VRT etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

Won't be buying an Irish spec Kona.

Same as the Zoe 10,000 more than UK price when you look at all the spec taken of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 673 ✭✭✭TychoCaine

The reality is the it is easy and at least as economical to goto the UK and get the spec from an Hyundai EV that you actually want. This is what I did with the ioniq and it is what I would do with an Kona now.
    Can you easily change the dash from MPH to KPH on the Ioniq? I'd presume the Kona one would be the same.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    For the Kona it's not that simple though.

Brexit date is April 2019. After that we have no clue how imports will be affected. And to get a Kona before that, you have to buy it brand new and import. And that is a very complicated process as I'm currently finding out.

It’s complicated, but certainly doable, and worth doing for a purchase of this price.

Will be keeping an eye on the Sterling rate as well; unless we see some real clarity on Brexit this side of Christmas, there could be a some big savings to be made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

eagerv wrote: »
    I for one am not amazed by the standard spec on the Kona EV.

I am disappointed, hoping the Kona would be my first EV (And first hyundai) with the sort of spec included we have been reading about in other countries. I was happy to pay more for this.

My present mid spec small ICE comes with a lot more useful standard items, such as LED lights, adaptive cruise control, glass opening roof and a decent sound system. All for about 7K less

Unless I’m out of touch I wouldn’t think that’s typical mid spec in a small car, nor would be a 31k list price, maybe Paddy spec is no more!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 timmartin7510

Disgraceful, I was about to put €1,000 down today until I saw the spec.
    I will definitely consider an import if I can arrange the finance. It appears little or no VRT will be payable.
    As far as I know It is 0% on EV's up to the value of €35k and 14%, less the 5k grant if over. The UK price is £31,795 (€35.5) for the top spec (incl grant) I presume the government grant will already have been applied at time of purchase.

I will definitely consider an import if I can arrange the finance. It appears little or no VRT will be payable.
    As far as I know It is 0% on EV's up to the value of €35k and 14%, less the 5k grant if over. The UK price is £31,795 (€35.5) for the top spec (incl grant) I presume the government grant will already have been applied at time of purchase.

The VRT will be calculated on the value of the car, and I believe will come to around €5,600. Minus the €5k VRT allowance and you'll be looking at around €600.

The more difficult issue is the VAT and the grant.

You can't get the Irish grant on a car registered in the UK. You would need to get the car registered to someone in the UK and the grant applied there.

Then there's the VAT. Buy in the UK and import, you'll still have to pay the VAT in Ireland as it will be classed as a new car. You need to either buy in the UK ex VAT for export (not sure if that's possible) or pay the Irish VAT and then reclaim the UK VAT (again, not sure if it's possible).

I have a lot of questions to ask in the next few months. My UK Kona order isn't due until January 17th so I have until then to figure it out.

Well either then or whenever I can get a Niro instead.

DrPhilG.

Am I correct in saying that you are going to import a brand new Kona EV from the UK ?

DrPhilG.
    Am I correct in saying that you are going to import a brand new Kona EV from the UK ?

Possibly. I prefer the Kia Niro but it depends on the price and release date. But I have a brand new Kona on order and due for delivery in January.

I'll hopefully have the Niro prices by October and will figure out if/how I can work the import in the next few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

The VRT will be calculated on the value of the car, and I believe will come to around €5,600. Minus the €5k VRT allowance and you'll be looking at around €600.

The more difficult issue is the VAT and the grant.

You can't get the Irish grant on a car registered in the UK. You would need to get the car registered to someone in the UK and the grant applied there.

Then there's the VAT. Buy in the UK and import, you'll still have to pay the VAT in Ireland as it will be classed as a new car. You need to either buy in the UK ex VAT for export (not sure if that's possible) or pay the Irish VAT and then reclaim the UK VAT (again, not sure if it's possible).

I have a lot of questions to ask in the next few months. My UK Kona order isn't due until January 17th so I have until then to figure it out.

Well either then or whenever I can get a Niro instead.
    VAT is fairly simple. It can be bought VAT free for export and just pay the VAT here. HMG form 411 if memory serves.

Get the garage to register the car as a demo and they get the grant, sell it to you and you pay the VRT balance and VAT at the NCT inspection.

Get the garage to register the car as a demo and they get the grant, sell it to you and you pay the VRT balance and VAT at the NCT inspection.

Except that the Kona order can only be done with Hyundai Click to Buy system, meaning that I'm buying direct from Hyundai rather than from a dealer.

Hopefully Kia will be different.

Except that the Kona order can only be done with Hyundai Click to Buy system, meaning that I'm buying direct from Hyundai rather than from a dealer.

Hopefully Kia will be different.

But surely you have to collect the car at a dealer, and they get credit for the sale, and probably some profit from it. Somebody has to PDI the car and hand it over. I'm sure that dealer could be talked around to doing what you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

That's the attitude that will never see a change....why should an Irish buyer have to put up with a lower spec?

I would ask all people not to buy the Kona to put up a stand against car manufacturers doing this but people will still go and buy it....next car will come out the exact same

Plus we are not getting any cheaper for lower spec....just a crappy car for same price

But surely you have to collect the car at a dealer, and they get credit for the sale, and probably some profit from it. Somebody has to PDI the car and hand it over. I'm sure that dealer could be talked around to doing what you need.

From what I've heard the dealers are only getting a few hundred per car so whether they want to go to any great effort to assist, I don't know.

Plus I don't pay any money to the dealer, it all has to be paid to Hyundai UK before collection so the dealer has no ability to affect the price I pay.

I'll be speaking to them this week to see what, if anything, they can do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Residual VRT should be €910, as Hyundai Ireland are apparently paying it for customers here.
    Price includes: VRT exemption - €5,000, Residual VRT - €910 (Paid by Hyundai Ireland), SEAI grant - €5,000. Excludes delivery and related charges

Residual VRT should be €910, as Hyundai Ireland are apparently paying it for customers here.

That doesn't make sense, does it? If 14% VRT is €5,910, that puts the car value at €42.2K. applying the SEAI Grant and removing VRT would put the car at €31.3K before delivery charges. Am I missing something?

From what I've heard the dealers are only getting a few hundred per car so whether they want to go to any great effort to assist, I don't know.

Plus I don't pay any money to the dealer, it all has to be paid to Hyundai UK before collection so the dealer has no ability to affect the price I pay.

I'll be speaking to them this week to see what, if anything, they can do.

They might not be too aware of the UK form VAT 411 to allow them to sell to you VAT free. If you do the legwork on that they might be more receptive.

A little Sunday homework :P

Maybe if you offer to pay for the time taken to process the paperwork and register the car (I'm sure they will have to do this for you anyway), they might be more interested. The work is minimal: just a declaration that the car will be removed from the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

That doesn't make sense, does it? If 14% VRT is €5,910, that puts the car value at €42.2K. applying the SEAI Grant and removing VRT would put the car at €31.3K before delivery charges. Am I missing something?

It looks like they have deducted one of the 5k grants and that the OMSP is about 42k alright. I've often wondered how revenue determine an OMSP, as they rarely seem to correlate to the open market!

They might not be too aware of the UK form VAT 411 to allow them to sell to you VAT free. If you do the legwork on that they might be more receptive.

A little Sunday homework :P

Maybe if you offer to pay for the time taken to process the paperwork and register the car (I'm sure they will have to do this for you anyway), they might be more interested. The work is minimal: just a declaration that the car will be removed from the UK.

It's not a question of the dealer being more receptive, its the fact that they are not actually selling me the car. They take no payment and cannot change the price I pay.

I have to hope that Hyundai UK will do that before it reaches the dealer for handover.

Then the question is whether I can buy ex VAT for export, while also registering the car in the UK for the grant.

Edit, I'll read that link, thanks.

OK I've read the link, from what I gather I can buy it ex VAT provided I export it within 2 months. So I should be able to buy it, register it at a family member's address in the North and thereby claim the grant, then export it within 2 months and pay the VAT and VRT.

I'll just need to check the UK grant conditions and make sure there's no crafty stuff in there saying that the car must remain in the UK etc.

OK I've read the link, from what I gather I can buy it ex VAT provided I export it within 2 months. So I should be able to buy it, register it at a family member's address in the North and thereby claim the grant, then export it within 2 months and pay the VAT and VRT.

I'll just need to check the UK grant conditions and make sure there's no crafty stuff in there saying that the car must remain in the UK etc.

Some boardsies have bought and imported demo EVs from the UK, some just a few weeks old, but registered to the dealer. The grant wasn't clawed back on export.

I reckon it's quite do-able. Best of luck, and keep us updated on progress. I might get a demo from the UK to get the better spec. I nearly did with the Ioniq, but one came up here and I went for that instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I'd imagine that once you have a UK address to register to, there is no repercussion to exporting it.

Well I see nothing telling me I can't export it after getting the grant.

I do see notices that the grant will be reviewed in October 2018 though, although I can't imagine that will be changing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Gotta love the Irish dealers getting in the Paddy spec and slapping an "executive" badge on the back, old habits die hard. I remember back in the day a fancy executive spec was an automatic 1994 Carina E :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Orebro wrote: »
    Gotta love the Irish dealers getting in the Paddy spec and slapping an "executive" badge on the back, old habits die hard. I remember back in the day a fancy executive spec was an automatic 1994 Carina E :-)
    What an odd tangent. I just happen to have a 1994 Toyota Carina Executive Auto in storage at the moment :eek:
    Weird.

I dont understand the need for paddy spec cars. It's not like the VRT can be used as a reason for an EV.

TychoCaine wrote:
    Can you easily change the dash from MPH to KPH on the Ioniq? I'd presume the Kona one would be the same.

No you can't... And this is a drawback... But to be honest not a major one, as the speed is in kmph as well as mph on all the dashboard screens by default... Slightly disappointed when I found this out but not a deal breaker... This only applies to the dashboard, the satnav, range on centre console etc can be set to metric

DrPhilG wrote:
    You should be able to get a demo by then. I bought 181 demo in April.
    What I would suggest is contacting dealer in UK they is willing to do business (perhaps the one that I dealt with). He may even source car exactly to your spec, register it as demo and then sell to you, who knows

DrPhilG wrote:

If before Brexit then this is fairly easy and straightforward.
    1. VAT: You buy the car ex vat in uk and pay vat in Ireland... There is one extra form to fill out
    2. GRANT: I don't know if you can claim grant on new car bought outside of Ireland, am assuming not (However, it would make some interesting case law with regards to free movement of goods and services if irish government was prohibiting grant to Irish residents who purchased goods from other EU member state - I might contact them on that point out of divilment...)
    3. VRT: VRT website had the ioniq premium SE on its system even though it's not on sale in Ireland. They actually had the market value at just under 37k or so (car was 11 weeks old at the time), so I waited a couple of weeks and the market value decreased to under 35k so no VRT.

If after VRT then who knows....

So if I was you, I'd start contacting UK dealers now and see will they work with you.
    In addition I'd contact the grand people and see what the story is with grants for brand new imports...although you may not have much luck
    Personally I'm happy to do a line to the guy I dealt with and see if he is interested, do introductions etc...

The dealers aren't even getting demos. One near me has a member of staff who is buying one and is willing to let customers have a look. But the dealers are not being given demos until next year so no chance they'll sell it before March.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

ELM327 wrote: »
    What an odd tangent. I just happen to have a 1994 Toyota Carina Executive Auto in storage at the moment :eek:
    Weird.

Love the ol' Japanese yokes. Reminds me of breing a young fella hoping to import an Imreza/R32/Evo/etc.
    I dont understand the need for paddy spec cars. It's not like the VRT can be used as a reason for an EV.

It probably can, just like every other car.

Like if the OMSP of the Paddy spec is €36k, and then you add on extras, you'll pay the 14% on the extras.

I think anyway. That's what happened to us on our T-Spirit Prius a few years back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Orebro

Weird.

LOL! That's hilarious!

Anyone know the width of the back seats in the Kona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Anyone @'ed them on twitter regarding the paddy spec and increased price?

gar wrote: »

I have, tweeted them a few times about the delay in pricing too. They never reply online although I did get a call from Hyundai ages ago promising a price list by the end of August.

gar wrote: »

Anything like that will be responded to asking you to contact them directly

They aint going to answer that in public

The interesting bit is, when I talked to dealerabout trade in he said he couldnt offer me price till he seen what profit the Kona will be at....

Seeing as they are screwing over the Irish customer, I would hope trade in offers are good....if not and they say profit is not high on electric then at least we know it is bullsh*t

• Advertisement
Advertisement