Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Has that been 100% confirmed? Have my eye on the north and fear they might do the same ;(

Ireland are only getting one trim level, it's basically the UK mid spec plus leather seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Ireland are only getting one trim level, it's basically the UK mid spec plus leather seats.

But also possibly missing Adaptive cruise, Lane follow assist, Sat Nav (Only smaller 7" screen) and descent sound system.

All standard on the UK mid spec.

Still awaiting Hyundai Ireland to confirm spec..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

eagerv wrote: »
    But also possibly missing Adaptive cruise, Lane follow assist, Sat Nav (Only smaller 7" screen) and descent sound system.

All standard on the UK mid spec.

Still awaiting Hyundai Ireland to confirm spec..

The Lane Keep Assist System is included, at least on the one Hyundai Ireland has. But headlights are halogen. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

The Lane Keep Assist System is included, at least on the one Hyundai Ireland has. But headlights are halogen. :mad:

Can you test drive one yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Yes but LKAS can be off, basic, or active on the Ioniq. Only the top setting is actually a lane keeping system that works with hands off.

It would be pretty silly to not offer at least the same LKAS that the Ioniq has, in the kona

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Can you test drive one yet?

No, and it might not be what we're used to as test driving goes. Hyundai have said that there will be no demo cars at dealers. Probably just one or two cars that can be booked by dealers for test drive days. Dealers that I have spoken to are furious, with one even saying that he's having nothing to do with the Kona EV.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Yes but LKAS can be off, basic, or active on the Ioniq. Only the top setting is actually a lane keeping system that works with hands off.

It would be pretty silly to not offer at least the same LKAS that the Ioniq has, in the kona

The LKAS seems to be the same as Ioniq, but the adaptive cruise is definitely not on the test car they have, just standard cruise.

Yes they say that Lane Keep Assist is included here, but not Lane Follow Assist.

Most markets are including both.

Our spec looks more like the basic UK model + Leather.

Also looks as though we are missing All round parking sensors, Blind spot detection and Rear cross traffic alert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Plan to offer future higher and lower specs. Le Sigh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,182 ✭✭✭dionsiseire

Maybe they're starting to realise they fucked up on this one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,921 ✭✭✭zg3409

Maybe they're starting to realise they fucked up on this one.

No it is a polite way of saying no, without saying no. "Maybe some day" would be a rephrase of what they replied

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭gar

In the wild at the red cow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,552 ✭✭✭denismc

gar wrote: »

God, they really are small! ...............or is just far away!:D

denismc wrote: »
    God, they really are small! ...............or is just far away!:D

They are small :P

• Advertisement

gar wrote: »

That looks like the one Hyundai are "range testing".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No need for range testing, you Hyundai Ireland fools. Just bring the cars into the showrooms and let people start ordering them already!

unkel wrote: »
    No need for range testing, you Hyundai Ireland fools. Just bring the cars into the showrooms and let people start ordering them already!

I agree, but if I'm honest, I wouldn't rush out to buy one. I think Hyundai are treating their customers very badly. They strip the car almost bare and expect people to pony up top money for it? Who do they think they are, Apple? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

They strip the car almost bare and expect people to pony up top money for it?

Do you think it wont sell?
    My bet is there will be a long waiting list, so why wouldnt they do what they have done? Maximise profit. They would be fools not to.

It might come back to haunt them if any decent competition arrives, but thats not on the horizon either.... its ~2yrs out before we see anything in large quantity, and thats just guessing, as none of the manufacturers have confirmed so it could even be longer.

KCross wrote: »
    Do you think it wont sell?
    My bet is there will be a long waiting list, so why wouldnt they do what they have done? Maximise profit. They would be fools not to.

It might come back to haunt them if any decent competition arrives, but thats not on the horizon either.... its ~2yrs out before we see anything in large quantity, and thats just guessing, as none of the manufacturers have confirmed so it could even be longer.

No, I think it will sell in large numbers, if they are available. To quote the man from Hyundai: "if we only sold them painted pink with yellow spots (Mr Blobby anyone?) we'd sell our whole allocation". Now, while that's hilarious (:rolleyes:), it shows a complete distain for what their customers actually want.

It reminds me of a joke about the P&T back in the 70s "we have the phones, your challenge is to get them out of us". This is also fucking hilarious, but to be compared to a dysfunctional 70s business should make Hyundai Ireland thoroughly ashamed. They could have made the Kona a flagship EV, but they've made it feel a bit shabby with the Paddy spec.

I know I'm only one prospect, but I was a fairly easy sell for them. Now I can't see myself buying one.

This effort from Hyundai Ireland might just be their #specgate. If VW do get their act together, I can see Hyundai being left high and dry.

• Advertisement

Dude, it's nothing to do with Hyundai Ireland :)

They would take every single EV that Korea would let them have!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Is it not Hyundai Ireland that decides the spec????

Hyundai Ireland is a business. And the only or at least the main aim for every business is to maximise profits. I guess Hyundai Ireland expect to maximise their profits by selling the cars at full list price in a spec that leaves a lot to be desired!

If they got a bigger allocation from Korea, and a bigger domestic market to sell the cars into (i.e. like the UK) they might have given more choices in spec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Unkel, you're always a positive voice.

Dunno about that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Petetheroadie

Sorry I haven't been following this thread too closely. Is there a comparison between Irish and UK spec that I've missed?

It has everything to do with Hyundai Ireland.

I know that their business model would be to get every cent out of their customers that they can. However, I think they have lost sight of the long game.

As Old Diesel pointed out: Hyundai Ireland choose the spec that they will allow us to have. That's not a customer focused approach to business. They should listen to their customers, hoping to retain them as Hyundai purchasers. I find their Kona choice of spec as a cynical money grab that will turn some of their current customers off the brand, and drive them to competitors. Fine in the short term, while they have a product with more demand than supply, and have, along with Nissan, cornered the market. But the memories they are installing in the minds of the customer are not pleasant ones. When there is much more choice in the market, the buyers will remember this as a black mark against Hyundai - they might not remember exactly exactly why, just a bad taste in the mouth - and they will go with another brand.

I've had many, many brands in my long motoring history, and there are a few marques' doors I would never darken again: Mitsubishi, Ford, and BMW. I know these brands might have improved their service since they wronged me, but the smell remains. Hyundai (Ireland) might just join that list.

I guess I just don't like to be treated as a second class world citizen. It's the rebel in me. :D

It has everything to do with Hyundai Ireland.

I know that their business model would be to get every cent out of their customers that they can. However, I think they have lost sight of the long game.

As Old Diesel pointed out: Hyundai Ireland choose the spec that they will allow us to have. That's not a customer focused approach to business. They should listen to their customers, hoping to retain them as Hyundai purchasers. I find their Kona choice of spec as a cynical money grab that will turn some of their current customers off the brand, and drive them to competitors. Fine in the short term, while they have a product with more demand than supply, and have, along with Nissan, cornered the market. But the memories they are installing in the minds of the customer are not pleasant ones. When there is much more choice in the market, the buyers will remember this as a black mark against Hyundai - they might not remember exactly exactly why, just a bad taste in the mouth - and they will go with another brand.

I've had many, many brands in my long motoring history, and there are a few marques' doors I would never darken again: Mitsubishi, Ford, and BMW. I know these brands might have improved their service since they wronged me, but the smell remains. Hyundai (Ireland) might just join that list.

I guess I just don't like to be treated as a second class world citizen. It's the rebel in me. :D

I would still like one for the what you can do in a round trip from home (100 percent charge) and back again without charging ability.

Reliance on charging infrastructure is reduced considerably.

But knowing what a UK car has that your Irish one doesn't have is a blow and takes some of the goodness out of it.

If VW group deliver an equivalent car with their factory order set ups then #$&* Hyundai.

VW group have got the right idea on speccing a car. You can buy an ultra basic Golf if you want - or you can pay more and have a nicer spec one.

Old diesel wrote: »
    I would still like one for the what you can do in a round trip from home (100 percent charge) and back again without charging ability.

But knowing what a UK car has that your Irish one doesn't have is a blow and takes some of the goodness out of it.

If VW group deliver an equivalent car with their factory order set ups then #$&* Hyundai.

VW group have got the right idea on speccing a car. You can buy an ultra basic Golf if you want - or you can pay more and have a nicer spec one.

That's the bit that bugs me most. If the opportunity presents itself, I might bring a high spec demo in from the UK. I don't want to spend my money in the UK though. I want it to circulate in the Irish economy!

I agree: fuck you very much Hyundai Ireland. :mad:

IWT the % of a new car price, other than Govn't take, going into the Irish economy is quite small. The sales of cars must be a fair dent in the balance of payments.
    The Govn't will take their cut whether you buy here or in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Casati

Old diesel wrote: »

Except that with the e Golf the options are also v limited, you can’t even get an alloy bigger than a 16in, like what’s that about?

I’m guessing that they wanted to keep the Kona as cheap as possible and threw leather in it to differentiate it was the low spec. Long term they want this car to appeal to joe blogs, not early adopters with 50k to spend on a city car

Water John wrote: »
    IWT the % of a new car price, other than Govn't take, going into the Irish economy is quite small. The sales of cars must be a fair dent in the balance of payments.
    The Govn't will take their cut whether you buy here or in the UK.

The government forego a good chunk of their take on the VRT rebate. I'm not sure where you're going with the balance of payments stuff. Should we avoid all importation of goods? Maybe Ireland should produce the cars the population needs. I dunno.

Hyundai Ireland aren't a two man business, operating out of a shed. Their profit must be huge. That "quite small" profit on each car must be enough to run a high value company.

Besides all that, even if it was only a fiver, I'd prefer it to remain in Ireland.

Casati wrote: »
    Except that with the e Golf the options are also v limited, you can’t even get an alloy bigger than a 16in, like what’s that about?

I’m guessing that they wanted to keep the Kona as cheap as possible and threw leather in it to differentiate it was the low spec. Long term they want this car to appeal to joe blogs, not early adopters with 50k to spend on a city car

It's about drivetrain efficiency.

You can get bigger, and loads of people have put on bigger. Also changed the alloys to different types from the cheese slicer

But and its a big but, changing the size of tyre and the alloy will affect performance which of course automatically affects range. So the recommendation from VW is to keep 16" tyre and the cheese slicer alloy to get the maximum range from the car

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

If you look at the Norwegian market, which had a similar we'll sell all of our allocation issue, they went for a very well specced single choice with leather and sunroof as a choice.

I'm thinking future VW EVs as by equivalent I meant a similar battery pack size to Kona.

And the wider VAG approach they normally have to specing ICE cars like a Passat or Superb.

They usually have trim options like Style and L & K on a Superb and you have the option to add options in a way Hyundai havent done with Kona.

I imagine the Neo will lend itself well to "personalisation" options

When can they be expected to be available?

Water John wrote: »
    When can they be expected to be available?

If you are talking about the VW Neo, have a look at the thread on this forum

If you are talking about the Kona, try your local dealer now for timelines on when they will get a demo

Some demo's already out in wild in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭BigAl81

No idea if it's an indication of anything but I just saw a Kona EV out in the wild on the road in Blanchardstown on green licence plates.

Presumably a dealer out on a spin!

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    No idea if it's an indication of anything but I just saw a Kona EV out in the wild on the road in Blanchardstown on green licence plates.

Presumably a dealer out on a spin!

If it's a white one, it's probably the one Hyundai are spinning around in. They've been dicking around in that one since around the 6th of September. The numbers on the trade plate are 475 D 18.

If it's a white one, it's probably the one Hyundai are spinning around in. They've been dicking around in that one since around the 6th of September. The numbers on the trade plate are 475 D 18.

Yes, it was a white one, I nearly crashed rubber necking as it went by in the other direction.

The front grill really stands out in white, so perhaps look at a darker color if you wanted to hide that at all.

Dealer confirms the crap spec of the Kona EV. Pretty poor show for a €37k Hyundai.

They will be getting demo cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

Just got a mail off Hyundai. Anybody else?

The all-new KONA EV by Hyundai is now available to order at Hyundai dealerships nationwide!
    Hyundai Ireland are delighted to announce that we have secured sufficient KONA EV allocation for 2019 to allow us to retail the KONA EV through our dealer network.
    As you have registered your interest for KONA Electric on our national website we think it is important to share this good news with you today.
    Please contact your local Hyundai dealer for more information on how to order your new 191 KONA Electric for January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

daheff wrote: »
    Just got a mail off Hyundai. Anybody else?

Yep, me too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Yup.

If I was near a printer I would print off the email just so I could wipe my ass with it.

• Advertisement

In all honesty, if they had just left the adaptive cruise on it, I'd probably still have bought one. I could upgrade the halogens to LED, and the HUD wouldn't bother me too much.

The colour choice is poor though. I think it would look crackin' in the dark metallic blue of the Niro, or even the Ioniq blue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

Dealer confirms the crap spec of the Kona EV. Pretty poor show for a €37k Hyundai.

They will be getting demo cars.

The price is crazy. Its an 11k premium over the top of the range diesel. You'd want to be mad to buy one.

SO what does it actually have?

Standard cruise control?
    7" display?
    Lane keep assist?
    Apple play/androidn play?
    Front heated seats?
    Parking sensor
    Rear view parking camera

That it?

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭JohnnyJohnJohns

Ya, a petrol version went past me today and I was surprised how small it was. Can't imagine many people forking over 40k for a small Hyundai

Can't imagine many people forking over 40k for a small Hyundai

I suspect it's the 64kWh battery and "500km" range they'd be forking over for more so!

Not much else in that price range that can do that, so a lack of options rather than a choice perhaps.

• Advertisement
Advertisement