Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭redlead

I'm banking on the VW Neo actually being an EV worth the money. You just know the reported 25k will magically turn into 35k though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

redlead wrote: »
    The price is crazy. Its an 11k premium over the top of the range diesel. You'd want to be mad to buy one.

A big difference, if it's being bought as a company car, is the enormous tax advantage that the diesel doesn't have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    SO what does it actually have?

Standard cruise control?
    7" display?
    Lane keep assist?
    Apple play/androidn play?
    Front heated seats?
    Parking sensor
    Rear view parking camera

That it?

Plus Vinyl seats :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭Damien360

Ya, a petrol version went past me today and I was surprised how small it was. Can't imagine many people forking over 40k for a small Hyundai

We have a petrol Kona and it is small enough. Nippy enough but suspension is a bit hard. It is in the same price range as T-Roc, Stonic, Focus, Corolla, Auris etc. All of those interiors have scratchy dashboards. For 25-30k that's what you get. Also have a Skoda Superb (company car) in the house which is closer to 40k. The interior is much better and softer touch. Easier on the eyes. If I had 40k to spend, I would be comparing with similar in that price range. 40k Kona is mad.

I cannot see people being happy with a 40k scratchy plastic interior of the Kona (even though I actually like the car). I've said it before and this is not really the thread (too many EV fanboys) but 10-15k extra over the petrol equivalent is a lot of petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

daheff wrote: »

I know but I am breaking it down to the important bits....

So the main spec above is Kona....my 2015 eGolf has main features

Adaptive cruise control
    7" display
    Heated front seats
    Front/rear/side parking sensors
    Self parking
    Crash warning alert

So if you compare the two cars. I would have to pay 20k to upgrade to a Kona. I will end up with a smaller car with a similar/inferior spec to my own but with more range.

Really, if both car had diesel/petrol engines in them you would be mad to swap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭daheff

I know but I am breaking it down to the important bits....

So the main spec above is Kona....my 2015 eGolf has main features

Adaptive cruise control
    7" display
    Heated front seats
    Front/rear/side parking sensors
    Self parking
    Crash warning alert

So if you compare the two cars. I would have to pay 20k to upgrade to a Kona. I will end up with a smaller car with a similar/inferior spec to my own but with more range.

Really, if both car had diesel/petrol engines in them you would be mad to swap

Tbh, for the premium for a new EV over a petrol or diesel, the figures just dont add up unless you are doing high mileage (maybe 200km a day).....but then you have range issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I agree with all of the above, and I hope that Hyundai are stuck with them all and realise that they've made a huge blunder. However, I live in the real world and the full allocation of cars will fly out the door.

If Kia Ireland keep even the base spec of the French Niro launch, they will wipe the floor with Hyundai. We can only hope the sister companies are actually in competition with each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Got a text message from my local dealer yesterday.
    He'll have a demo in stock next week.
    I'll take it for a extended spin and let ye know.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 63 ✭✭flange888

ewj1978 wrote:
    Got a text message from my local dealer yesterday. He'll have a demo in stock next week. I'll take it for a extended spin and let ye know.

Please do let us know how you get on! Any chance you can tell us which dealer?

• Advertisement

It was Hyundai in Midleton, Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Anyone know of any Dublin/Meath based dealers that have them in stock for test drives?
    Got the email the other day and I wouldnt mind having a gander. 99.5% sure I won't buy one but sure you never know.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any Dublin/Meath based dealers that have them in stock for test drives?
    Got the email the other day and I wouldnt mind having a gander. 99.5% sure I won't buy one but sure you never know.

There was a dealer conference late last week so they should all know when they're getting their demos. A local dealer says he's getting a white demo during the week. The demo will be for sale from day 1 on a 182 plate according to him.

Hutton and Meade are probably your best option to be honest....they emailed me about it saying they have a demo coming in

I found them to be very competitive when pricing before.....if they will be the same when they know car is in demand is another thing....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Kingstown Motors in Stillorgan will have 2 White 64KWh Kona's coming in on approx Wed/Thurs of this week.

1 Car will be their Demo Car

1 Car will be for immediate sale.

(I presume the demo will be snapped up before long, so not sure how long it'll be available as a Demo).

You could give them a call & see if you can test drive it this week etc..

(Disclaimer - Neither I nor any of my family are employed by Kingstown Motors) - Just sharing the info as these will go fast.

Apparently approx 1000 Email Registrations of Interest on Hyundai Ireland Website & I think dealer said only 200 Kona's total coming into the Country (Certainly in any initial batch)...

I put in my interest but I'm going for a look, much like a lot of other punters.
    They're not shifting 200 Kona's at 38k easily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Hutton and Meade are probably your best option to be honest....they emailed me about it saying they have a demo coming in

I found them to be very competitive when pricing before.....if they will be the same when they know car is in demand is another thing....

One of the salesman called me today, next week I’ll be having a chat and test drive.
    As for the price, 35850 I think.

Scottie99 wrote: »
    One of the salesman called me today, next week I’ll be having a chat and test drive.
    As for the price, 35850 I think.

Hyundai Ireland website quotes €35,995 Excl Delivery & "Related Charges"

Think I heard €37,650 On The Road Price (Including Delivery, Related Charges & Possibly Metallic Paint If Chosen?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

ewj1978 wrote: »

That's what some buyers in Norway and the Netherlands thought too. They were too relaxed about it and missed out. The initial batch sold immediately and these people had to go on a 12 month waiting list.

• Advertisement

Demos being delivered this morning. Confirmed that there is no adaptive cruise, at least no radar sensor on the front.

Demos being delivered this morning. Confirmed that there is no adaptive cruise, at least no radar sensor on the front.
    Wow.
    Ok that 99% certainty that I was not interested now became 100%.

Unless I could switcheroo the 64kWh battery into my Ioniq on the sly I won't be even bothering to take a test drive now :D:D

That is pretty bad form on a €38k Hyundai after it was standard equipment on the €25k Ioniq. For one it wouldn't really entice Ioniq owners to "upgrade" to long range Kona. Adaptive cruise is one of those features that once you have it (and it works well), it's hard to let go

So only one trim level / model Kona for Ireland then?

unkel wrote: »
    That is pretty bad form on a €38k Hyundai after it was standard equipment on the €25k Ioniq. For one it wouldn't really entice Ioniq owners to "upgrade" to long range Kona. Adaptive cruise is one of those features that once you have it (and it works well), it's hard to let go

So only one trim level / model Kona for Ireland then?

Yep, just the one "choice".

No adaptive cruise also does away with the auto emergency braking. FFS taking out a safety feature for Paddy. :mad:

Yeah good point. That system works well too and I've no doubt it will save lives / prevent serious injuries if more cars were equipped with it.

Yep, just the one "choice".

No adaptive cruise also does away with the auto emergency braking. FFS taking out a safety feature for Paddy. :mad:

So that is another feature marked off that is on my 15 car :P I dont have emergency braking but a warning system which scares the life out of you the first time it goes off

Not that I use it much but I have found it giving me the odd alert when someone decides to stop in middle of road and then put on indicator....

Really the Kona looks like a step backwards instead of forward....yes the range is great but it comes at too big of a cost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hyundai and Kia are on a money grab because they know they can. Thats capitalism!

KCross wrote: »
    Hyundai and Kia are on a money grab because they know they can. Thats capitalism!

I have no problem with them making money while the market is available.

From a personal point of view I will hang on another 12 months.

Features in the car is more of a selling point and then longer range would be a very handy nice to have :P

Not sure if their decision is the wisest though. They could have just made the car a few hundred quid more expensive (again) and included the AC / emergency braking

That said, I doubt they'll have a problem selling their allocation of EVs

Nothing nefarious about capitalism, at least, not compared to the "alternatives". :pac:
    Not sure if their decision is the wisest though. They could have just made the car a few hundred quid more expensive (again) and included the AC / emergency braking

That said, I doubt they'll have a problem selling their allocation of EVs

In fairness with the current state of pent up demand in the EV market they could have sold it with steel wheels, windy windows and no "dumb" cruise control and it would probably still sell out easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

We have VW in the wings who will put manners on them asians when we get the €25k VW Neo.... isnt that right Shef! :)

• Advertisement

We have VW in the wings who will put manners on them asians when we get the €25k VW Neo.... isnt that right Shef! :)

If you review the VW thread you will get my opinion :p

Out of interest, has anyone for confirmation what PCP rate is on the BEV Kona

Already listed on Donedeal this morning, claimed as in stock now...

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-electric-premium-se-64kw-top-of-the/20147193

That looks like a sweet spec ELM327.

samih wrote: »
    That looks like a sweet spec ELM327.
    Yeah, it's the difference between UK spec and ours :mad::mad:

+1

Price not so sweet! Would be well over €40k if you brought that down here and got it on Irish plates...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

One day very soon, this thread title will be correct :D

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I put in my interest but I'm going for a look, much like a lot of other punters.

Can't vouch for the accuracy of this article but its an interesting read...

https://cleantechnica.com/2018/10/20/tesla-model-3-is-a-crazy-bargain-new-prices-lower-than-used-prices/

"Quote..In Norway, the Kona EV is selling used for prices that are 30–33% above the new price, even with thousands of kilometers on the odometer. In Germany, used Kona EV prices are around 25% over cost to buy new (taking the €4,000 grant into account). In the Netherlands, the used markup is around 2% to 4% over new...."

Demand for EVs has been on a bandwagon in the last few months. Everybody finally realises we will all be driving EVs in the not so distant future. And supply can't keep up.

I'd say the discrepancy between the two is only getting bigger. EVs are likely to have very little depreciation going forward, particularly the ones that aren't easily available to buy new.

Lowering of subsidies on EVs (like they did in the UK) and increasing polluter taxes on diesels is going to make this even worse

• Advertisement

Demand for EVs has been on a bandwagon in the last few months. Everybody finally realises we will all be driving EVs in the not so distant future. And supply can't keep up.

I'd say the discrepancy between the two is only getting bigger. EVs are likely to have very little depreciation going forward, particularly the ones that aren't easily available to buy new.

Lowering of subsidies on EVs (like they did in the UK) and increasing polluter taxes on diesels is going to make this even worse

I couldn't have said it better myself - it really does look that way as we move forward, unless there is some huge unforeseen capacity of New EVs made available at reasonable prices somehow, but probably not likely...

Some people will always be stupid with their money.

Are you really getting taxed that much in countries like Norway and Netherland that you need to buy a second hand car over the price of buying it new?

All of these countries have fantastic public transport. Really do you need a car for day to day purposes like you would in Ireland? Something doesn't seem quite right with those reports....

In Ireland, we can't even tax diesel correctly.....why would anyone be concerned about buying a combustion engine when the government can't even stick 1c per ltr onto diesel after spending 8 months saying they would increase the price of diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

I had a quick test drive in the kona ev today, its a nice drive very linear power delivery and feels quick in sport mode, the midlands based dealer is getting two units but I think they're sold already, running on 225/55 R17 very steady on the road, heated seats & steering wheel, leather, air con etc spec seems ok to me, lots of interest in the dealer with people waiting to test drive it, bit expensive at 38k but paying for the range, waiting to see if the dealer can get anymore

jordan191 wrote: »
    I had a quick test drive in the kona ev today, its a nice drive very linear power delivery and feels quick in sport mode, the midlands based dealer is getting two units but I think they're sold already, running on 225/55 R17 very steady on the road, heated seats & steering wheel, leather, air con etc spec seems ok to me, lots of interest in the dealer with people waiting to test drive it, bit expensive at 38k but paying for the range, waiting to see if the dealer can get anymore

Thanks for taking the time to share your experience with us here. Your positive experience seems aligned with the recent YouTube Test Drive Videos I've seen recently.

Congrats on probably being one of the first in the country to test drive this EV!!

Great review here (albeit of UK spec)

Great review here (albeit of UK spec)

Yeah - saw that almost as soon as it was uploaded.

The EV Puzzle's channel is quite good (Nigel from EV Puzzle let James in this video use his car to make the video etc..).

Interesting comments re the Tesla (from James as a Tesla owner) at the end of the video.....

• Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭jordan191

Yeah that's a good honest review, I only did about 15km in the kona but its my first time to drive an EV and was very impressed & can't compare it to leaf ,golf e etc but I must say its drives as good as any petrol / diesel car I've ever driven & I currently own a diesel 161 Tucson & 2011 diesel Passat & 1993 e30 BMW 325i ( I'm a bit of a petrol head at heart) currently & while it doesn't have the sheer grunt of a 6 cylinder petrol, it was definitely feels faster & the delivery of the power is smooth refined and after driving this today, I think the future for EV's are bright, I'm off to test drive a leaf tomorrow........

Yeah that's a good honest review, I only did about 15km in the kona but its my first time to drive an EV and was very impressed & can't compare it to leaf ,golf e etc but I must say its drives as good as any petrol / diesel car I've ever driven & I currently own a diesel 161 Tucson & 2011 diesel Passat & 1993 e30 BMW 325i ( I'm a bit of a petrol head at heart) currently & while it doesn't have the sheer grunt of a 6 cylinder petrol, it was definitely feels faster & the delivery of the power is smooth refined and after driving this today, I think the future for EV's are bright, I'm off to test drive a leaf tomorrow........

I think you've gotten the bug now......hope you enjoy your test drive of the leaf.
    Please let us know what you think & how you got on with the leaf while the drive in the Kona is still relatively fresh in your mind etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Thank you for the test drive report.

Looking forward to doing similar myself soon.

Just a pity with the spec. If only they had not included leather, but included other items I'm used to such as ACC and LED's.

• Advertisement

Advertisement