Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Electric autos getting uk spec in next year....will be interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

bonoman66 wrote: »

Personally, I wouldn't buy from this guy. He is a very rough dealer. He dropped new charging cable on the concrete floor and 100% scratched. I can imagine customer service after the sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Lots of Kona EV listed online already

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/video-tour-gt-new-k-o-n-a-e-v/20165283

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-electric/20167112

And confirmed from photos in the second one that there is no adaptive cruise. What absolute crap.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Electric autos getting uk spec in next year....will be interesting
    Yeah that's more like it. Sad state of affairs when a private dealer (a great one don't get me wrong) can offer a better spec car than the OEM can.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

The 7" info screen looks like an old fashioned child's tablet.
    Even the mid range UK version gets the better 8" screen with built in Nav.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

vidukasp wrote: »
    Personally, I wouldn't buy from this guy. He is a very rough dealer. He dropped new charging cable on the concrete floor and 100% scratched. I can imagine customer service after the sale.

Just posted the link as I thought it was good to see an Irish Dealer get out on YouTube quickly with a video about this car.

I like his attitude towards getting a video out there quickly but agree with you that where there is any mishandling (even accidental) it doesn't look good on camera.

I'm not in any way recommending this dealer (mind you I wouldn't personally be put off doing business based solely on the clip as I can only imagine what happens at many dealers that we never got to see & are none the wiser !).

I hope we get to see more videos (home grown ones) as the car gets out there a bit more...

eagerv wrote: »
    The 7" info screen looks like an old fashioned child's tablet.
    Even the mid range UK version gets the better 8" screen with built in Nav.

Yep - its crappy alright. No doubt about it. I'd much rather have the 8", Full LED Headlights, ACC etc..if I had a choice when buying locally

Just posted the link as I thought it was good to see an Irish Dealer get out on YouTube quickly with a video about this car.

I like his attitude towards getting a video out there quickly but agree with you that where there is any mishandling (even accidental) it doesn't look good on camera.

I'm not in any way recommending this dealer (mind you I wouldn't personally be put off doing business based solely on the clip as I can only imagine what happens at many dealers that we never got to see & are none the wiser !).

I hope we get to see more videos (home grown ones) as the car gets out there a bit more...

I'd be more concerned about his comments re charging and plugging the "thicker cable in when fast charging" tbh

ELM327 wrote: »
    Yeah that's more like it. Sad state of affairs when a private dealer (a great one don't get me wrong) can offer a better spec car than the OEM can.

You're absolutely right - we should be able to choose certain options & not have people choose on our behalf & charge handsomely for it.

Don't know if that situation in relation to the car industry will ever change in Ireland unless at some point in the future, Irish car sales move to online (versus dealer) like the Kona EV online ordering in the UK ?

I've no problem buying from a Irish dealer, if its fair, transparent & I feel like I have a real choice. In the case of the Kona EV, its not happened for us & it does leave a slight feeling of resentment towards Hyundai Ireland (Whoever in that Management/Sales Team has made those spec decisions on our behalf).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

So, stopped into Hyundai Midleton on the way home from work.
    Tony is the guy to call anyway.
    What I was told.
    200 cars coming to Ireland.
    Each dealer has to keep a car as a demo for one year.
    He's getting 3 in the next few weeks.
    Cork is getting 7.( Supposedly 5 already sold) I'm assuming Keary's in the city.
    37500, unless you want two tone which is another 500.
    The car:
    One spec.LKA, no adaptive.
    Electric back on driver seat. Not electric adjustable.
    Heated steering/front seats.
    Granny cable + type 2 cable.
    Can have red, dark grey, orange or white.

Demo I drove was the creamy grey interior. Very bright but not for me. You can have black too.

Had 85% battery and a GOM of 405km.
    Consumption on previous trips was 30.5 and 21.5 so people had be hammering it.
    Very nice to drive and is very responsive. Level 3 regen in eco is unreal.
    Eco + is handy for extending the range.

Is it worth 9k over an ioniq?
    Not in my opinion.
    38k is an awful lot of money for a car that has a base spec (7"screen, come on!)
    Yes the range is great, but 9000 euro great?
    If they had brought in the 39kwh battery for 30k I'd have been interested but there's too little car here for close to 40k.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Forgot to add,

Massively dislike the feel of the material of the steering wheel. I've driven plenty of cars with plastic and leather haeels and this was just weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

It's only an issue if he gives you the damaged cable and then tries to claim it wasn't like that when you got it.

Remember if they start doing 24 hr test drives and the like these cables will probably pick up damage easily enough as they suffer from "its not my car so I don't give a damn" syndrome

Old diesel wrote: »
    It's only an issue if he gives you the damaged cable and then tries to claim it wasn't like that when you got it.

Remember if they start doing 24 hr test drives and the like these cables will probably pick up damage easily enough as they suffer from "its not my car so I don't give a damn" syndrome
    +1
    And that's why ex demo cars are usually cheaper to account for this type of shall we say elevated wear.

Its a garage demo....it will be sold as a demo at a reduced rate.....scratch on a cable is hardly a worry

Some people will find any reason to compain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

From Ioniq to Kona and back to Ioniq.

I had a good blast in the Kona EV today, and was able to compare it to my Ioniq.

First impressions were quite good. The interior was light grey and was pleasant enough, Black is also available (I'll get to that). The seats were actually more comfortable than in the Ioniq. The higher driving position was good and the 2 way adjustment on the steering wheel made getting a good driving position easy. The switch gear in the central console is a stainless steel/brushed aluminium kinda thing, and they felt quality. The switches to the right of the steering were a horrible, cheap grey plastic. Fisher-Price is was what came to mind.

Seating in the back is higher than the front and this makes for happy back seat passengers. The dash is pure Ioniq and therefore quite good... until you look at the display in the centre. Another Fisher-Price moment. It looked totally out of place and a cheap substitute for what I had left in the Ioniq.

On the road it felt the same as the Ioniq: solid, smooth and nice to drive. The application of power was fricken fantastic! She just picks up her skirts and sprints away. Much more power than the Ioniq. The drive modes are the same as in Ioniq, but the step up to sport didn't seem to be as great in Kona. Much more dramatic in the Ioniq. I suppose when you have that much power in standard mode, it's a tough act to follow. It handled the power very well, but tried to squirrel away on full power, in sport mode, when leaving a side road onto a main. Not difficult to control though. Looking at over 400kms range brought a warm and fuzzy feeling. Range anxiety? What range anxiety? :D

A few little gripes: while I like the centre console height, with the buttons close to hand, the storage under it was a complete waste of space and was difficult to put stuff in and get it out. The regen was the same as in the Ioniq, but you can't pull and hold either paddle on the steering wheel to get full or no regen, it has to be done in individual clicks, three up and three back down.

Options will not be up to you. You buy what comes in or you don't buy. If you want blue with black leather you might get it, or you might not. If they get a blue one in with grey leather, you like it or lump it. The dealer I was at was getting 3 for 191 reg: a dark metallic grey, a white with black roof and a kind of greeny-blue. I think they were all light grey interior.

I felt quite good getting back into the Ioniq. I should have felt a tickle of regret that I wasn't taking the Kona home, but I didn't, and that felt OK.

Overall impressions were good, but a €38k cheaped out spec small Hyundai? No thanks! If it had the adaptive cruise, auto emergency braking, HUD and decent nav screen. I would have handed my credit card over for a deposit on the dark grey one for a 191 plate. Paying that much money for a small Hyundai would have been softened by the spec.

There was some talk of maybe, possibly, a better spec for 192, but I wouldn't hold my breath... unless Hyundai find this spec hard to shift. I don't think they will as there will always be punters who know no better. They will probably sell out fairly quickly, but the 3 coming to this dealer were all available, no buyers lining up for them... yet.

Any questions? :)

ELM327 wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about his comments re charging and plugging the "thicker cable in when fast charging" tbh

I'm sure they've a lot of 'catching up' to do, these dealers :-)

They should pay a visit to these forums....:D

I'm sure they've a lot of 'catching up' to do, these dealers :-)

They should pay a visit to these forums....:D

To be fair to him he was upfront about needing to get more knowledge about the charging etc.

He alluded to a training course that needs to be done that he hasn't done yet

To be fair to him he was upfront about needing to get more knowledge about the charging etc.

He alluded to a training course that needs to be done that he hasn't done yet

ok fair enough - I'll give him that... he was open enough about it..

Any sign of an app? any possibility of in the future an app working for it?

I did ask, but the blank look I got in return was comical, so I didn't push it. :D

• Advertisement

Talked to a dealer this evening - he knew nothing about any app coming here. Doesn't mean it won't happen maybe, but I wouldn't hold my breath just yet. There's an app for the Kona in New Zealand / Australia Region. I was looking at the manual for how it works & you need some module fitted in the car that is registered to the VIN I think..

https://www.hyundai.co.nz/hyundai-auto-link%E2%84%A2-connected-driver-app-arrives-with-kona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Little test drive this afternoon, having never driven anything other than a 06 Opel Corsa I honestly felt like I was driving the starship enterprise so that was nice :D

Agree with sentiments, Fisher price buttons, center console cubby hole difficult to reach, interior is generally quite plastic-y, and it's a hell of a lot of cash.

Dealer was saying the vast majority of these things in Ireland will be white which was interesting. I know I'm way overpaying but being able to ditch my current (lengthy) train commute this is the kind of thing that will change my life a little bit so for me it's worth the extra few bucks with a view to upgrading to something from Elon Musk after 2021 :pac:

9/10 would drive again.

Edit:
    Oh and he didn't know if it would come with a granny cable which was annoying

Edit:
    Oh and he didn't know if it would come with a granny cable which was annoying

It should come with 2 cables according to the owners manual. One for connection to a permanent charger home or public. The other is the 'Granny Cable' you mention..

The recent dealer video shared here, shows the 2 cables that come with the car.

Thanks for your feedback / mini review...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

Agree with sentiments, Fisher price buttons, center console cubby hole difficult to reach, interior is generally quite plastic-y, and it's a hell of a lot of cash.

The best way to think of it is as a €23k car with an extra €20k in powertrain.
    That pretty much approximates the cost of manufacture involved.

Here's feedback today from a new Kona Electric Owner from the UK...

Quote..."Just did a trip up to Scotland with a family of 4 and luggage in the car. With no traffic issues and no 50 zones and the cruise set to 70 you are looking at 235 miles"..

So recent real-world range report (no idea of temp or weather) of 235 Motor Miles at 70 MPH with a Fully Loaded Kona Electric on a Single Charge (no starting or ending charge values mentioned etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

7inch screen, F*&% off, total BS , I would have considered myself the biggest advocate of this car , now we are getting shafted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭cros13

378 km at 112.6km/h

fixed that for ya. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I really don't think I could buy this car in Ireland. Only real solution would be to source a very new demo asa soon as you can in the UK and import.
    I would prefer to spend my money in Ireland, but not at that spec.
    Buying in the UK and importing is not difficult. I did it with the Ioniq and it was easy to do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I want to buy a longer range EV, OH already has a 30Kw Leaf. Would be buying via co. So will be needing HP or some such. Don't think buying abroad is thus an option. But I'm willing to wait for another make and model and keener price.
    Such a car needs to come at mid thirties or below in price.

• Advertisement

I really don't think I could buy this car in Ireland. Only real solution would be to source a very new demo asa soon as you can in the UK and import.
    Buying in the UK and importing is not difficult. I did it with the Ioniq and it was easy to do

First off - I'm with you.
    Yes I feel 'We're being screwed with this spec for this price here in Ireland' - Absolutely no argument there.
    And it won't suit / appeal to everyone (majority) to buy this in Ireland at this price / spec..

Assuming one had the money to buy this (it ain't cheap), here's some randomish points, not in any order of significance, as to why I think it could still make sense for some to buy it in Ireland at this spec / price...

1. Money not the issue (eg maybe funds readily available, not huge loan or very small loan ?) & they just want this car & have to have it, like the smaller size, want it now, want to buy in Ireland etc..

2. Timing - The timing us just right for them to change, the had planned to change anyway, had the budget, wanted to move from ICE to EV thinking of longer term for themselves & they need/want EV with longest range while paying Non Tesla Pricing, and don't care about its smaller size or want a car this size.

3. They want a small EV with very long range in that sort price range (& can't wait for Kia e-Niro - slightly bigger boot/more rear legroom I think).

4. Even though profit margins are tight on this model or EV's at this point (for Dealers) (I think we're led to believe that - don't know if its true), maybe someone is trading in an old car & getting a few grand for it, which might help a little with the financial blow.

5. Even though, I agree the spec is poor when compared to the UK Top Spec, if someone is coming from a very old ICE car, maybe a gas guzzling diesel circa 10-12 years old, with high tax, high running costs, high servicing costs & repair bills starting to mount up (if its older & things are going wrong), its quite possible the spec is still a significant enough upgrade on their current vehicle spec to be impressive to them. eg...

Some cars of that old age may not have a central infotainment system at all , so getting a 7" one maybe still good for a person coming from never having one at all.

Some cars may have no bluetooth, no wireless phone charging, any LEDS for external lights at all, no reversing camera, no external rear sensors, no cruise control, no climate control, no electric mirrors, heated seats, heated steering wheel, leather interiors etc etc..

So in that context of someone with quite an old car, with a poor spec at present, moving to this could still be a huge upgrade to them (even though its poor compared to UK Top Spec).

It would be harder (or impossible) for someone with a decent spec, fairly newish car at present to accept the spec & could easily be a 'downgrade' in a lot of respects (barring the newer EV drive train element).

6. If someone with an old ICE car wants to move from ICE to EV, is trying to 'future proof' themselves (as much as they can in range terms) & plans to keep the car longer term, maybe 5 - 10 years & this size suits them. They'll reap the lower running, servicing, ownership costs over the longer term & they'll have a more enjoyable car, cheaper to run & own etc. (Hopefully it would be reliable over at that timeframe - unknown entity I know, but EVs do seem pretty robust from what I've read & the little I know).

7. Bit of a gamble - Someone who wants an EV with long range now, maybe even wants a Tesla but can't wait or afford one at present, buys this, accepts its shortcoming in specs / size & hopes due to supply / demand issues, there may be still a good strong second hand market for it in 2 or 3 years, plans to sell then (it would still have 2 or 3 year manufacturers warranty left on it) & upgrade more easily to the real EV they want for their long term.

Not condoning how we, as car buyers, are being treated by Hyundai Ireland with regards to the poorer spec (Vs UK Top Model) - just thinking through why it could still be a good buy for some people etc..

The UK issue right now is what happens in a no deal Brexit. Talks arent going well.

No deal will make it harder to import

Here's what it'll do for you if you are late for work....:D

(And have the road to yourself !)

i would guess Hyundai expect enough people are moving from older cars and a 7" screen is like moving to the star ship enterprise.

If you look at the amount of CH-R cars around Dublin. They are 36k or so for the hybrid. The Kona BEV would have a better spec to it. So I know we are complaining but I would guess Hyundai are looking at what the competition are offering and just providing a higer spec car.

Current electric car drivers, not really a target to be honest. It is new customers they will target who are buying their first electric car and the move up in spec will be huge to them

Remember for the qty of cars coming in they will expect to sell. Especially when Nissan are selling so many Leafs to new customers.....

If you look at it, apart from range. A current electric car customer would be mad to swap to the Kona.

First off - I'm with you.
    Yes I feel 'We're being screwed with this spec for this price here in Ireland' - Absolutely no argument there.
    And it won't suit / appeal to everyone (majority) to buy this in Ireland at this price / spec..

Assuming one had the money to buy this (it ain't cheap), here's some randomish points, not in any order of significance, as to why I think it could still make sense for some to buy it in Ireland at this spec / price...

1. Money not the issue (eg maybe funds readily available, not huge loan or very small loan ?) & they just want this car & have to have it, like the smaller size, want it now, want to buy in Ireland etc..

2. Timing - The timing us just right for them to change, the had planned to change anyway, had the budget, wanted to move from ICE to EV thinking of longer term for themselves & they need/want EV with longest range while paying Non Tesla Pricing, and don't care about its smaller size or want a car this size.

3. They want a small EV with very long range in that sort price range (& can't wait for Kia e-Niro - slightly bigger boot/more rear legroom I think).

4. Even though profit margins are tight on this model or EV's at this point (for Dealers) (I think we're led to believe that - don't know if its true), maybe someone is trading in an old car & getting a few grand for it, which might help a little with the financial blow.

3. Even though, I agree the spec is poor when compared to the UK Top Spec, if someone is coming from a very old ICE car, maybe a gas guzzling diesel circa 10-12 years old, with high tax, high running costs, high servicing costs & repair bills starting to mount up (if its older & things are going wrong), its quite possible the spec is still a significant enough upgrade on their current vehicle spec to be impressive to them. eg...

Some cars of that old age may not have a central infotainment system at all , so getting a 7" one maybe still good for a person coming from never having one at all.

Some cars may have no bluetooth, no wireless phone charging, any LEDS for external lights at all, no reversing camera, no external rear sensors, no cruise control, no climate control, no electric mirrors, heated seats, heated steering wheel, leather interiors etc etc..

So in that context of someone with quite an old car, with a poor spec at present, moving to this could still be a huge upgrade to them (even though its poor compared to UK Top Spec).

It would be harder (or impossible) for someone with a decent spec, fairly newish car at present to accept the spec & could easily be a 'downgrade' in a lot of respects (barring the newer EV drive train element).

4. If someone with an old ICE car wants to move from ICE to EV, is trying to 'future proof' themselves (as much as they can in range terms) & plans to keep the car longer term, maybe 5 - 10 years & this size suits them. They'll reap the lower running, servicing, ownership costs over the longer term & they'll have a more enjoyable car, cheaper to run & own etc. (Hopefully it would be reliable over at that timeframe - unknown entity I know, but EVs do seem pretty robust from what I've read & the little I know).

5. Bit of a gamble - Someone who wants an EV with long range now, maybe even wants a Tesla but can't wait or afford one at present, buys this, accepts its shortcoming in specs / size & hopes due to supply / demand issues, there may be still a good strong second hand market for it in 2 or 3 years, plans to sell then (it would still have 2 or 3 year manufacturers warranty left on it) & upgrade more easily to the real EV they want for their long term.

Not condoning how we, as car buyers, are being treated by Hyundai Ireland with regards to the poorer spec (Vs UK Top Model) - just thinking through why it could still be a good buy for some people etc..

Were I to buy a Kona it would be replacing a spec list of.

2 airbags

Basic radio/cassette (yes really).

ABS (got lucky with that - was literally the FIRST year my model got it).

Front electric windows.

Rev counter.

Side impact bars.

3 star Euro encap from 1990s test (so poor by today's standard

Cup holders.

And that's it.

Kona still a massive leap over that.

Still not great though and could hit resale.

No AEB???? - REALLY.

If they only have one spec and only ever one spec which I guess is the plan then it will never hit resale.

Ok someone can bring in an import but in reality a full Irish owned car always sells for more.

So single spec does give advantage, you will only hit resale price by the amount of km you drive and the condition you keep car in...

Try telling a dealer you have a better spec when you trade in, they will just tell you it doesn't matter and they lose 100% of their value as soon as you drive out:p I know its bull**** but that is what they will say

• Advertisement

Were I to buy a Kona it would be replacing a spec list of.

2 airbags

Basic radio/cassette (yes really).

ABS (got lucky with that - was literally the FIRST year my model got it).

Front electric windows.

Rev counter.

Side impact bars.

3 star Euro encap from 1990s test (so poor by today's standard

Cup holders.

And that's it.

Kona still a massive leap over that.

No AEB???? - REALLY.

Jeepers - that's some spec alright :eek: (Puts us all in our place !)

I guess the whole re-sale is an unknown...BUT..if the situation with supply & demand does not change & remains similar today for a few years into the future, I don't think it will be a problem.

I'm looking at what's going on in the likes of Norway & Germany where people want this car but can't get it & its second hand market is strong.

Sure Ireland is probably behind in adoption of EVs compared to those countries, but at some point over the next few years, Ireland's demand, more general interest, adoption of EV's is likely to increase more quickly.

Manufacturers will have seen the demand outstrip supply in a lot of countries, seen strong second hand markets for EVs & possibly increase pricing in some cases - making a second hand market stronger again.

It would be more of a concern (Ireland Kona EV spec compared to UK Top Spec), if you were trying to sell your Paddy Spec in the direct same market place, but that probably won't be the case. It'll be primarily against other Ireland Paddy Spec EVs typically, so it'll still probably do well.

All guess work of course (left my crystal ball at home...)... ;)

Jeepers - that's some spec alright :eek: (Puts us all in our place !)

I guess the whole re-sale is an unknown...BUT..if the situation with supply & demand does not change & remains similar today for a few years into the future, I don't think it will be a problem.

I'm looking at what's going on in the likes of Norway & Germany where people want this car but can't get it & its second hand market is strong.

Sure Ireland is probably behind in adoption of EVs compared to those countries, but at some point over the next few years, Ireland's demand, more general interest, adoption of EV's is likely to increase more quickly.

Manufacturers will have seen the demand outstrip supply in a lot of countries, seen strong second hand markets for EVs & possibly increase pricing in some cases - making a second hand market stronger again.

It would be more of a concern (Ireland Kona EV spec compared to UK Top Spec), if you were trying to sell your Paddy Spec in the direct same market place, but that probably won't be the case. It'll be primarily against other Ireland Paddy Spec EVs typically, so it'll still probably do well.

All guess work of course (left my crystal ball at home...)... ;)
    Yip that all makes sense... until Kia launch the Niro with a decent spec, or VW launch... wait, what am I saying? Ireland will always be at the bottom of the pile regarding spec. :(

Yip that all makes sense... until Kia launch the Niro with a decent spec, or VW launch... wait, what am I saying? Ireland will always be at the bottom of the pile regarding spec. :(

:D (Laughing in Despair !)

The whole Kia e-Niro thing looked good for a while for Ireland, then possibility to order got pushed out, the deliveries got pushed out, then conflicting information from dealers with regards to what Ireland would get (39 KWh or 64KWh initially), then Trim Level Ambiguity, then 38 units or less for sale initially for all of Ireland, No pricing (I wonder will they be watching the whole Kona EV response with a view to increasing planned initial pricing!). A real mess.

With the resale I'm thinking that a potential 2nd hand Kona EV driver could also be looking at ICE cars.

Thats when the spec becomes an issue.

The ICE car could get bought simply due to the driver wanting active cruise.

The big battery means it's potentially on an EV Vs ICE shopping list.

With the resale I'm thinking that a potential 2nd hand Kona EV driver could also be looking at ICE cars.

Ah I see ok - I had ruled out any ICE - I was only thinking EVs Vs Evs etc...

Thanks

• Advertisement

If you go BEV you never go back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Test drove one today (have a Model 3 pre-order so wanted to see if it could change my mind). Top line thoughts:
    • First time driving an automatic and an EV in one and it was a blast, acceleration is instant, regen braking is fantastic and this feels like quite a lightweight car to drive as a result. Honestly, 5 minutes in this and I was dreading going back to an ICE car!
    • Lovely car (coming from a recent basic polo) - could see some of the buttons getting scuffed easily and the paint coming off them
    • Steering wheel is very complex, just tons of options
    • Found the driver's screen quite hard to read with sunlight
    • Sports mode made the acceleration very twitchy, quite hard to maintain speed
    • Space in the back wasn't amazing (seats in the front were a bit far back but I was surprised)
    • The 7" touch-screen apparently didn't have maps built in (relying on Apple Carplay or Android Auto) - sucks for those Windows Phone people out there!
    • Lack of ability to choose your own colour combo - even in 2019, was frustrating.

If you were to ask me how much I'd pay? €32k after the grant would be a fair price for this. Yes, the range is nice but I think there will be quite heavy depreciation over 5 years if VW Group and Kia get reasonable cars out on the market.

Honestly was a bit torn leaving the dealership (and still am) but if I'm going to be spending the guts of €40k on a car, I might as well push the boat out and wait for the Model 3 (eventually!)

I suppose the light colour seats are perhaps better when they are not ventilated.

Was in a dark leather car recently (Renault) during the last warmer spell, my back was stuck to the seats, very uncomfortable.

eagerv wrote: »
    I suppose the light colour seats are perhaps better when they are not ventilated.

Was in a dark leather car recently (Renault) during the last warmer spell, my back was stuck to the seats, very uncomfortable.

I think what dmcg90 means is that you could end up with the lighter colour when you want black or vice versa.

Unless I've missed something I think black leather is still coming but cars will turn up in predetermined colour combinations.

So if you want a grey Kona you just have to accept whatever interior colour is in the one in the yard or on the boat.

Or if the grey car available has the wrong interior colour - you may have to go for the red one that has the right interior colour.

Buyers are going to have to prioritise whether the interior colour scheme or the exterior is more important.

For me it would be the interior all day long - I find black interiors make cars too dark inside especially with privacy glass in the rear like the Kona has.

I think what dmcg90 means is that you could end up with the lighter colour when you want black or vice versa.

Unless I've missed something I think black leather is still coming but cars will turn up in predetermined colour combinations.

So if you want a grey Kona you just have to accept whatever interior colour is in the one in the yard or on the boat.

Or if the grey car available has the wrong interior colour - you may have to go for the red one that has the right interior colour.

Buyers are going to have to prioritise whether the interior colour scheme or the exterior is more important.

For me it would be the interior all day long - I find black interiors make cars too dark inside especially with privacy glass in the rear like the Kona has.
    Yes, that's the attitude of Hyundai: you take what we get in or you can fuck off.

Each dealer is only getting 4 cars. They seem to know what body colours they're getting, but not the interior. I'm sure you could phone around and try to find the right person in the dealership to get the information from.

You are absolutely correct from any conversations I have had with dealers.

You take what's coming on the boat if you want one anytime soon - no choice.

You don't get to pick exterior, interior colours, or 2 tone etc.. - They just have whatever is being sent on the boat.

Majority I have seen are white so far with white leather interior etc..

Agree with all above, initially it's take it or leave it with whatever Hyundai have available.

I have lost interest for the moment.

Perhaps I am in the minority, but if Hyundai had offered the car without leather and a better spec I would be very interested..

Here's a montage of pics I took from a White Demo One so you can get a rough idea of the colour of inside etc..

Might help someone...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Just to clarify, I was talking about the exterior colour options sorry!

The blue with black top was my preference but I wouldn't be able to ensure I got one, even if I waited 6 months. It'd be pot luck based on what the dealer would get and I got the impression they wouldn't be getting many of the colourful options in there (with more standard grey/black/white coming in stock).

Personally, a white interior would be a bit of an issue too!

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Just to clarify, I was talking about the exterior colour options sorry!

The blue with black top was my preference but I wouldn't be able to ensure I got one, even if I waited 6 months. It'd be pot luck based on what the dealer would get and I got the impression they wouldn't be getting many of the colourful options in there (with more standard grey/black/white coming in stock).

Personally, a white interior would be a bit of an issue too!

Sure - no worries at all - no need to be sorry about anything..

You've said it here exactly the way I've found it.

Talked to a couple of dealers, no way for a customer to actually pick a single internal or single external or 2 tone color of their choosing from the catalog.

Dealers are being sent our Ireland preconfigured Kona EV both in terms of its 'Paddy Electronics Spec' & in terms of predefined internal/external colour combination colors (even they are not choosing as far as I'm aware - they have to take what is being sent). Its so crap in this day & age for consumers (valued customers ?? - think we'll redefine what a valued customer is from Hyundai Ireland point of view !) to be treated in this poor manner.

I think Hyundai Ireland would certainly be handling this differently & facilitating us with more options, if there wasn't more demand than supply for this car at this time.

They are getting away with it for the time being but more competition & greater quantities of 'affordable EVs' in our marketplace will force them to change - not any of us providing our feedback or giving out to them - I'm sure they honestly don't give a damn because they don't have to at present.

• Advertisement
Advertisement