Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I test drove the Kona yesterday , white on white. The seats were definitely more comfortable than the Ioniq, It is quite fast off the mark , I thought it felt better than the ioniq, more solid, but the spec is pure fisher-price, no smart cruise control, ( about the only feature I use in the Ioniq, mickey mouse screen, I would consider leasing it but ( I originally wanted to purchase ) but until these nimrods in Hyundai Ireland get their act together I am holding on to my money. They are blowing a golden opportunity, they have 12 - 18 months before Tesla is here in force with the Model 3 and Model Y shortly there after , I would be grabbing as much market share as humanely possible , Tesla will not ask their permission and will not give them a second chance....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Interesting test done, this was a Facebook user, think it was Netherlands so not many hills

11% left/40km based on pic

“Drove the Kona today at the highway for 265 km. Speed between 120 and 150, mostly 136 on the cruise control. Battery drained fast (5 degr. Celcius). Lucky me at my last meeting the charger is for free!”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Interesting test done, this was a Facebook user, think it was Netherlands so not many hills

11% left/40km based on pic

“Drove the Kona today at the highway for 265 km. Speed between 120 and 150, mostly 136 on the cruise control. Battery drained fast (5 degr. Celcius). Lucky me at my last meeting the charger is for free!”

Without any personal experience with this car & only newly learning about EVs & battery usage versus EV driving patterns, I probably would have hoped/expected based on the battery technology available at this time, that the Kona EV would have been able to achieve between 300-350KMs on hard motorway driving (even though quoted a circa 480KM Range overall - for careful / non motorway only driving). So its about what I would have expected myself. I wouldn't be disappointed by this personally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Without any personal experience with this car & only newly learning about EVs & battery usage versus EV driving patterns, I probably would have hoped/expected based on the battery technology available at this time, that the Kona EV would have been able to achieve between 300-350KMs on hard motorway driving (even though quoted a circa 480KM Range overall - for careful / non motorway only driving). So its about what I would have expected myself. I wouldn't be disappointed by this personally.

Remember 136 kph is 85 mph.

I'd expect it to eat energy at that speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Impressed myself, Kona is not an aero friendly motorway car like the Tesla M3 or Hyundai Ioniq

135kph for 265km ( Limerick to Dundalk) with some range left is very impressive, sure the long range Tesla M3 will do well over 300km @ 135kph but that's ages away

Ioniq long range with its rumoured 40kWh will be the one for motorway driving

Won't be far off the much bigger Kona 64kWh with its efficiency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,881 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

No hills, but the country is less than half the size of Ireland with four times as many people in it. In other words, a population density 10 times higher than Ireland. Motorways are extremely busy.

Driving on motorways in NL is not like here. You constantly speed up and slow right down, which has a bad negative effect on range.

Just to put things in perspective if you want to get an idea of what kinda motorway range you'd be getting in Ireland if you bought one...

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi Guys,

If I bought the kona in the UK for cash can I claim the government grant here? I called a hyundai dealer up the north and he said I could claim it.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Not as I'm aware. Has to be imported by a dealer to avail of the government grant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭p15574

Hyundai Kona Electric Delayed In UK To August 2019?
    https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-delayed-uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,825 ✭✭✭Old diesel

p15574 wrote: »
    Hyundai Kona Electric Delayed In UK To August 2019?
    https://insideevs.com/hyundai-kona-electric-delayed-uk/

What's the basis for the author assuming that right hand drive model 3s will even start building by August 2019

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Hi Guys,

If I bought the kona in the UK for cash can I claim the government grant here? I called a hyundai dealer up the north and he said I could claim it.

Thanks in advance

He's BS'ing

The only way to claim the Irish grant is by buying new through an Irish registered dealer.

You can still avail of the €5k VRT exemption and the home charge grant but the €5k grant you cannot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Old diesel wrote: »
    What's the basis for the author assuming that right hand drive model 3s will even start building by August 2019

If you go to buy one right now in the U.K its saying August I believe

Inital allocation is sold out

Old diesel wrote: »

They have nothing to base it on....probably the tweets sent out.....

Tesla are not even managing 5k car per week which was a goal in for Q1, then Q2? then done once or twice but can't sustain production.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

They have nothing to base it on....probably the tweets sent out.....

Tesla are not even managing 5k car per week which was a goal in for Q1, then Q2? then done once or twice but can't sustain production.....
    Currently at 4600/week
    https://www.bloomberg.com/graphics/2018-tesla-tracker/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,479 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Hi Guys,

Thanks in advance

The dealer in the North will tell you all sorts of lies.

The only way to do it would be to register the car to a UK address initially and claim the UK grant. But then when you import you will be charged a second dollop of VAT which you would then have to try and reclaim in the North.

Ps the more I see of the interior pictures of this car the less I like it.

And the piddly screen in the Irish version is shockingly dated.

E-Niro looks so much nicer inside its insane.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    The dealer in the North will tell you all sorts of lies.

The only way to do it would be to register the car to a UK address initially and claim the UK grant. But then when you import you will be charged a second dollop of VAT which you would then have to try and reclaim in the North.

Thanks for that. I do have family in the UK so I could do that for sure. The top spec kona is fully loaded and similar money to the paddy spec one here. When you say Ill be charged a second dollop of VAT, do you mean the VRT above the 35k exempted amount?

Thanks a mill for your input.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Thanks for that. I do have family in the UK so I could do that for sure. The top spec kona is fully loaded and similar money to the paddy spec one here. When you say Ill be charged a second dollop of VAT, do you mean the VRT above the 35k exempted amount?

Thanks a mill for your input.

If it’s less than 6 months old when brought into the state or less than 6,000kms at the time you present for VRT then it is considered a new car and you will have to pay VAT on it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

slave1 wrote: »
    If it’s less than 6 months old when brought into the state or less than 6,000kms at the time you present for VRT then it is considered a new car and you will have to pay VAT on it

The other side of that coin is that if it is under 6 months old or less than 6,000 kms, you can export it from the UK without paying their VAT. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,266 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

The other side of that coin is that if it is under 6 months old or less than 6,000 kms, you can export it from the UK without paying their VAT. ;)

Only if VAT qualifying and you get a dealer willing to process the paperwork, if the car is an easy sell they’ll just avoid the hassle and sell locally

I see. What sort of saving would that be? And would it make sense to do that?
    Thanks for that info

Just in case this helps anyone interested in this Kona EV 64KWh who hasn't test driven it yet...

I had a short 30 minute test drive in it today & this is my experience / feedback based on that short 30 minute drive, also based on never having driven any EV before (nearest thing would be the Bumper Cars in Bray Amusements in days long gone by !).

My feedback is also from the perspective of coming from a 1.0 Litre Petrol Manual 3 Cylinder Suzuki Swift, then a 1.2 Petrol Manual Fiesta, then a 1.4 Petrol Manual Ford Focus, then a 2.2 Turbo Diesel '7 Seater' Automatic Santa Fe - so petrols, diesel, small, large, manual & automatic.

Background (so you can get context of my comments / feedback about the test drive)..

My current car (bus :-)) is the 7 Seater 2.2 Turbo Diesel Santa Fe Diesel Auto. Its old (11 years), so its expensive to tax, guzzles the diesel (its an older 5 gear auto so not as efficient as newer 7 speed auto diesels) & has been expensive the last few years to get serviced / and any wear and tear issues fixed (water pump, timing belt, EGR valve, some electrical door issues - usual wear and tear is just expensive with a big vehicle like this, particularly as it gets older).

Pros of Current Vehicle:
    Tons of space inside & in the boot (however don't need/use this space this anymore so its wasted on me - the days of needing the pram & buggy & accessories has departed...but its served its purpose in the past).

Comfortable, high driving position, great visibility on road.

Build quality (like a tank, good outside noise insulation).

Lovely comfortable cruiser on the Motorway.

Cons of Current Vehicle:
    Expensive to Tax, now at a different stage in my journey through life, I'm getting tired of forking out almost a grand every year.

Expensive to run / service / fix wear and tear issues as it ages (Just the symptoms of having a bigger, older vehicle of this type).

Other half doesn't like driving / maneuvering / parking it - too big for our needs now & don't need this size etc..

High center of gravity - slightly 'wobbly' depending on how its driven as a result.

Why My Interest in EVs ?

Looking at longer term replacement for ICE.

Want less expensive ongoing cost of ownership - Fuel, Maintenance, Tax (absolutely - high initial cost would be hard to swallow, but keeping the EV medium to longer term, may balance things out a bit & maybe get better over time in terms of its value to me). I'll be honest, the fact that its better for the environment (not taking into account any non Eco friendly EV manufacturing processes) is not the reason I'd move to EVs - its cost of daily motoring & cost of longer term ownership costs.

Diesel - Not interested now - lack of viability longer term for me, driving habits now don't suit Diesel (& I do appreciate it'll be ages, in Ireland anyway the way we do things here, before its days are truly numbered).

Petrol - Not interested now - not keen on the GPF being fitted to newer Petrol cars (not from a health perspective - yes its good from that perspective, but from the little I've read about the newer GPFs, they may be similar to DPF & potentially have the same types of engine / blockage issues for unwitting petrol drivers with lots of short drives - it may even be a ticking time bomb for newer petrol owners who never had an issue in the past & haven't changed their driving patterns). Not an expert or claiming to know about it, just my feeling from what I've read - it would be a concern to me, its new & a relative unknown maybe.. Petrol could be more expensive than the diesel depending on the type of journeys I'm making. Petrol servicing, & age related issues could still be expensive (clutch, timing belt, water pump etc..)

Why the Kona 64KWh

It would fit my needs - for me its the only 'currently available' New EV with the range I need (at least 200-220 KMs range on single charge in almost any weather condition, 120 KMPH motorway driving Winter or Summer) within my budget (trade in included).

Now on to the test drive feedback (finally)...

I couldn't believe how quiet it was inside & outside moving off initially - (I turned off VESS as I don't like it). It was almost eerily quiet , it was so silent. Way better than I anticipated.

It was so smooth in terms of its power delivery from the EV drive train. No sense of changing gears, like there is in my auto diesel. Silky smooth & responsive across the range. Way better than I anticipated.

It was very quiet in the cabin (obviously 'noisier' at 120 KMPH on the motorway compared to the 30 - 80 KMPH built up zones I also drove in). Way better than I anticipated 30 - 80 KMPH, & well in line with what I hoped at 120 KMPH (I slightly feared it might be distractingly noisy, with wind or road noise but it was fine. I guess its also ultimately dependent on weather conditions, road surface & tyre type - it was fine for me today anyway. I was able to have a casual conversation in the car without any raising of voice at that speed with no undue distraction or annoyance due to noise at that speed etc..)

That Torque (coming from only ever driving ICE) - wow, just fantastic, incredibly enjoyable, fun - cliche but puts a smile on your face. Long time since I had that much fun driving (maybe it was the Bumper Cars back in Bray all those year ago !..).

Throttle was impressive in Eco Mode, really shone in Comfort Mode & Sport Mode brought it to another level. I'm no 'boy racer' but it gives you that feeling (mid life crisis maybe ;-)) of what a 'hot hatch' might be like (obviously just guessing never having owned any hot hatch, its was just pure fun, fabulous).

Superb power & confidence on the road, great road holding & overtaking power. Never felt power backing off - it was there immediately at any point I asked the car for it - be it stop start, short bursts in heavy traffic at junctions or overtaking at speed on the motorway.

It's just a wonderful drive train & responsiveness. I was actually sad having to get back into my old Auto Diesel Santa Fe after the test drive. It was like the difference between night and day, like the first time you see a colour TV having only had a Black & White TV etc..

Loved the feel of the Steering Wheel (it was smaller than I expected - my one is like one from a bus, in my Santa Fe :-)). It was sporty & felt good in the hands.

Build quality exceeded my expectations - thought the leather seats were very comfortable. Initially when I got in, I felt (with the jump in technology & cockpit design compared to my old Santa Fe) like I was climbing into the cockpit of a fighter jet. Everything was well laid out & surrounded me snugly, only an arms reach away.

It absorbed bumps in the road with no issues, comfortable all the way (there were minor roadworks along a small part of the route I took today).

The car would suit my own personal needs at this stage of my life in terms of internal space in the back & boot (& worst case an 80Kg Roof Box if needed could be added - plenty of range in the battery I'd imagine to absorb that extra draw on inefficiency).

I personally do not think the car would suit a family of 5 with 3 large children / adults for the back seats for long journeys. They'd squeeze in, but it probably wouldn't be comfortable. I'm approx 183 / 184 CM tall & with my driving seat in a comfortable position, I was happily able to sit behind my driving seat while I was testing space in the back. So I'd say it would cater for a family of 4 with 2 adults up front & 2 adults / large children in the back. It would suit a family of 5 with 2 adults up front & a combination of 3 smaller children / adults in the back. No issue with headroom in the back. The space between the driver / passenger front seat & the floor is less than the space in a regular ICE Kona. The gap where you place your feet is tighter etc.. Didn't affect me & shouldn't affect children, smaller adults. If you are very tall & like to stretch your feet under the driver/passenger seats, you might not like this. I sat in both the ICE Kona & the EV Kona today so can directly compare this gap etc..

What would I like if I had a magic wand, was granted 2 wishes & could change something immediately about the car:

1. Slightly bigger boot (I can live with the boot as is, if necessary I can let down one of the split folding seats in the back for longer journeys where I need to bring extra luggage (don't need all the back seats etc..) &/or add a roof box.

2. I'd add a space saver spare wheel. I just detest the trend by car manufacturers to supply a cheap, almost next to useless depending on the situation / puncture type , 'tyre mobility kit'. Just design the car with the room for the space saver & give us a space saver for the money being charged etc..

If you have the budget, &/or are coming from an old car (non newer high spec ICE or EV), &/or were planning to change from ICE to EV, &/or don't have the requirement to transport large amounts of luggage/equipment &/or don't have a large family (>4) with a lot of tall adults or children, &/or need / want a long range EV that you don't really need to depend on the public charging infrastructure for (providing you can charge at home - or work maybe ?) - you should shortlist, test drive & consider this car. (Kia e-Niro could probably be an even better EV if you can wait that long & manage to actually get one when they are released.)

If the Kona EV 64KWh meets your needs & fits your budget - its am amazing, fun car to drive with solid build quality. (Remember where I'm coming from when I say this - I know a lot of people on here have far higher / newer spec cars than I have, so their take will be different obviously & rightly so.)

I don't work for any garage, car dealer or Hyundai Ireland :-)

Sorry for the long post but felt it was important that I explain my motoring background & give a context for my comments & where I'm coming from as a car driver.

slave1 wrote: »
    Only if VAT qualifying and you get a dealer willing to process the paperwork, if the car is an easy sell they’ll just avoid the hassle and sell locally

It qualifies if VAT is due, and it's being exported. The huge paperwork load is signing one form along with the purchaser. Nothing more. There is no hassle for the dealer.

Have you looked into this? Have you tried to import a "new" car?

I see. What sort of saving would that be? And would it make sense to do that?
    Thanks for that info

It's not a saving as such, but it cuts out a lot of hassle. You will still pay full Irish VAT, but you won't pay the UK VAT. You can pay both and reclaim the UK VAT later, but that's a hassle.

Just in case this helps anyone interested in this Kona EV 64KWh who hasn't test driven it yet...

I had a short 30 minute test drive in it today & this is my experience / feedback based on that short 30 minute drive, also based on never having driven any EV before (nearest thing would be the Bumper Cars in Bray Amusements in days long gone by !).

My feedback is also from the perspective of coming from a 1.0 Litre Petrol Manual 3 Cylinder Suzuki Swift, then a 1.2 Petrol Manual Fiesta, then a 1.4 Petrol Manual Ford Focus, then a 2.2 Turbo Diesel '7 Seater' Automatic Santa Fe - so petrols, diesel, small, large, manual & automatic.

Background (so you can get context of my comments / feedback about the test drive)..

My current car (bus :-)) is the 7 Seater 2.2 Turbo Diesel Santa Fe Diesel Auto. Its old (11 years), so its expensive to tax, guzzles the diesel (its an older 5 gear auto so not as efficient as newer 7 speed auto diesels) & has been expensive the last few years to get serviced / and any wear and tear issues fixed (water pump, timing belt, EGR valve, some electrical door issues - usual wear and tear is just expensive with a big vehicle like this, particularly as it gets older).

Pros of Current Vehicle:
    Tons of space inside & in the boot (however don't need/use this space this anymore so its wasted on me - the days of needing the pram & buggy & accessories has departed...but its served its purpose in the past).

Comfortable, high driving position, great visibility on road.

Build quality (like a tank, good outside noise insulation).

Lovely comfortable cruiser on the Motorway.

Cons of Current Vehicle:
    Expensive to Tax, now at a different stage in my journey through life, I'm getting tired of forking out almost a grand every year.

Expensive to run / service / fix wear and tear issues as it ages (Just the symptoms of having a bigger, older vehicle of this type).

Other half doesn't like driving / maneuvering / parking it - too big for our needs now & don't need this size etc..

High center of gravity - slightly 'wobbly' depending on how its driven as a result.

Why My Interest in EVs ?

Looking at longer term replacement for ICE.

Want less expensive ongoing cost of ownership - Fuel, Maintenance, Tax (absolutely - high initial cost would be hard to swallow, but keeping the EV medium to longer term, may balance things out a bit & maybe get better over time in terms of its value to me). I'll be honest, the fact that its better for the environment (not taking into account any non Eco friendly EV manufacturing processes) is not the reason I'd move to EVs - its cost of daily motoring & cost of longer term ownership costs.

Diesel - Not interested now - lack of viability longer term for me, driving habits now don't suit Diesel (& I do appreciate it'll be ages, in Ireland anyway the way we do things here, before its days are truly numbered).

Petrol - Not interested now - not keen on the GPF being fitted to newer Petrol cars (not from a health perspective - yes its good from that perspective, but from the little I've read about the newer GPFs, they may be similar to DPF & potentially have the same types of engine / blockage issues for unwitting petrol drivers with lots of short drives - it may even be a ticking time bomb for newer petrol owners who never had an issue in the past & haven't changed their driving patterns). Not an expert or claiming to know about it, just my feeling from what I've read - it would be a concern to me, its new & a relative unknown maybe.. Petrol could be more expensive than the diesel depending on the type of journeys I'm making. Petrol servicing, & age related issues could still be expensive (clutch, timing belt, water pump etc..)

Why the Kona 64KWh

It would fit my needs - for me its the only 'currently available' New EV with the range I need (at least 200-220 KMs range on single charge in almost any weather condition, 120 KMPH motorway driving Winter or Summer) within my budget (trade in included).

Now on to the test drive feedback (finally)...

I couldn't believe how quiet it was inside & outside moving off initially - (I turned off VESS as I don't like it). It was almost eerily quiet , it was so silent. Way better than I anticipated.

It was so smooth in terms of its power delivery from the EV drive train. No sense of changing gears, like there is in my auto diesel. Silky smooth & responsive across the range. Way better than I anticipated.

It was very quiet in the cabin (obviously 'noisier' at 120 KMPH on the motorway compared to the 30 - 80 KMPH built up zones I also drove in). Way better than I anticipated 30 - 80 KMPH, & well in line with what I hoped at 120 KMPH (I slightly feared it might be distractingly noisy, with wind or road noise but it was fine. I guess its also ultimately dependent on weather conditions, road surface & tyre type - it was fine for me today anyway. I was able to have a casual conversation in the car without any raising of voice at that speed with no undue distraction or annoyance due to noise at that speed etc..)

That Torque (coming from only ever driving ICE) - wow, just fantastic, incredibly enjoyable, fun - cliche but puts a smile on your face. Long time since I had that much fun driving (maybe it was the Bumper Cars back in Bray all those year ago !..).

Throttle was impressive in Eco Mode, really shone in Comfort Mode & Sport Mode brought it to another level. I'm no 'boy racer' but it gives you that feeling (mid life crisis maybe ;-)) of what a 'hot hatch' might be like (obviously just guessing never having owned any hot hatch, its was just pure fun, fabulous).

Superb power & confidence on the road, great road holding & overtaking power. Never felt power backing off - it was there immediately at any point I asked the car for it - be it stop start, short bursts in heavy traffic at junctions or overtaking at speed on the motorway.

It's just a wonderful drive train & responsiveness. I was actually sad having to get back into my old Auto Diesel Santa Fe after the test drive. It was like the difference between night and day, like the first time you see a colour TV having only had a Black & White TV etc..

Loved the feel of the Steering Wheel (it was smaller than I expected - my one is like one from a bus, in my Santa Fe :-)). It was sporty & felt good in the hands.

Build quality exceeded my expectations - thought the leather seats were very comfortable. Initially when I got in, I felt (with the jump in technology & cockpit design compared to my old Santa Fe) like I was climbing into the cockpit of a fighter jet. Everything was well laid out & surrounded me snugly, only an arms reach away.

It absorbed bumps in the road with no issues, comfortable all the way (there were minor roadworks along a small part of the route I took today).

The car would suit my own personal needs at this stage of my life in terms of internal space in the back & boot (& worst case an 80Kg Roof Box if needed could be added - plenty of range in the battery I'd imagine to absorb that extra draw on inefficiency).

I personally do not think the car would suit a family of 5 with 3 large children / adults for the back seats for long journeys. They'd squeeze in, but it probably wouldn't be comfortable. I'm approx 183 / 184 CM tall & with my driving seat in a comfortable position, I was happily able to sit behind my driving seat while I was testing space in the back. So I'd say it would cater for a family of 4 with 2 adults up front & 2 adults / large children in the back. It would suit a family of 5 with 2 adults up front & a combination of 3 smaller children / adults in the back. No issue with headroom in the back. The space between the driver / passenger front seat & the floor is less than the space in a regular ICE Kona. The gap where you place your feet is tighter etc.. Didn't affect me & shouldn't affect children, smaller adults. If you are very tall & like to stretch your feet under the driver/passenger seats, you might not like this. I sat in both the ICE Kona & the EV Kona today so can directly compare this gap etc..

What would I like if I had a magic wand, was granted 2 wishes & could change something immediately about the car:

1. Slightly bigger boot (I can live with the boot as is, if necessary I can let down one of the split folding seats in the back for longer journeys where I need to bring extra luggage (don't need all the back seats etc..) &/or add a roof box.

2. I'd add a space saver spare wheel. I just detest the trend by car manufacturers to supply a cheap, almost next to useless depending on the situation / puncture type , 'tyre mobility kit'. Just design the car with the room for the space saver & give us a space saver for the money being charged etc..

If you have the budget, &/or are coming from an old car (non newer high spec ICE or EV), &/or were planning to change from ICE to EV, &/or don't have the requirement to transport large amounts of luggage/equipment &/or don't have a large family (>4) with a lot of tall adults or children, &/or need / want a long range EV that you don't really need to depend on the public charging infrastructure for (providing you can charge at home - or work maybe ?) - you should shortlist, test drive & consider this car. (Kia e-Niro could probably be an even better EV if you can wait that long & manage to actually get one when they are released.)

If the Kona EV 64KWh meets your needs & fits your budget - its am amazing, fun car to drive with solid build quality. (Remember where I'm coming from when I say this - I know a lot of people on here have far higher / newer spec cars than I have, so their take will be different obviously & rightly so.)

I don't work for any garage, car dealer or Hyundai Ireland :-)

Sorry for the long post but felt it was important that I explain my motoring background & give a context for my comments & where I'm coming from as a car driver.

Wow 😀 that was interesting thanks

Wow �� that was interesting thanks

You're welcome - thanks for taking the time to read it after all my typing :-)

I ended up ordering one by the way.. ;)

Pulse Red Exterior, Black Leather Interior, due end Dec (191 Plates etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

You're welcome - thanks for taking the time to read it after all my typing :-)

I ended up ordering one by the way.. ;)

Pulse Red Exterior, Black Leather Interior, due end Dec (191 Plates etc..)

SNAP.... Ive ordered "Pulse Red Exterior, Black Leather Interior" also :D

pma wrote: »
    SNAP.... Ive ordered "Pulse Red Exterior, Black Leather Interior" also :D

Well done on your purchase - hope you enjoy it & that you get many years of trouble free motoring.

You must let us know when you get it etc..

For me, I'll be going from one extreme to the other (Old Tech Diesel to High Tech EV).

Almost wish I hadn't test driven it today - it was that good, I'm wishing the weeks away already :eek:

Somehow I reckon you guys will not be disappointed with your new cars :D

• Advertisement

unkel wrote: »
    Somehow I reckon you guys will not be disappointed with your new cars :D

Thanks.

I now understand when EV owners have said many times that its hard going back to ICE once you've driven EV. The EV drivetrain & smooth, instantaneous power/throttle delivery is incredible to experience for the first time.

I know its something I'll eventually get used to. Even though I knew about it, not actually having experienced it until today, it took my breath away & did make me grin from ear to ear :D

As more & more of the general population start to experience what a modern EV is like to drive (once there is better choice, quantities & more competitive pricing), I can see the uptake starting to accelerate (pardon the pun) when they compare the drivetrains..!

Indeed. And many people will be sorry they didn't jump in to buy a Kona EV because as soon as the initial allocation is gone, there will be a 11-12 month waiting time. Happened in Norway, in the Netherlands and I think it just happened in the UK too...

Demand for EVs is going to grow exponentially and there is just no way supply can keep up. Not for at least another few years.

It qualifies if VAT is due, and it's being exported. The huge paperwork load is signing one form along with the purchaser. Nothing more. There is no hassle for the dealer.

Have you looked into this? Have you tried to import a "new" car?

I have looked into this as I had a Kona on order. If you're claiming the grant in the UK, you can't buy the car ex VAT.

If it is being sold and registered to a UK address (which you must do to claim the grant) then it is not being sold for export and you have to pay the VAT.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I have looked into this as I had a Kona on order. If you're claiming the grant in the UK, you can't buy the car ex VAT.

If it is being sold and registered to a UK address then it is not being sold for export and you have to pay the VAT.

Yes, but talking about a car that is registered as a demo, under 6 months old or under 6000kms, you can export VAT free. The grant will have been claimed by the garage and would be reflected in the price.

Great review bonoman66 and well wear on the new car. Wait until you get used to driving it and then one day have to jump in a diesel. It will feel very sad to drive one.

Yes, but talking about a car that is registered as a demo, under 6 months old or under 6000kms, you can export VAT free. The grant will have been claimed by the garage and would be reflected in the price.

Fair enough, didn't notice that they were talking about an ex demo.

In fact he said he had family in the North that he could use to register the car with and claim the grant?

Just in case this helps anyone interested in this Kona EV 64KWh who hasn't test driven it yet....

Excellent review and as I mentioned already you are probably the target customer for the Kona

Not someone with a Leaf 1/eGolf etc and looking to trade up. They are targeting the combustion engine person who is looking to move over to electric for the first time, as you said the spec is huge compared to your existing car.

The current electric car driver is spoilt on spec as most of the car are the equivalent of the top spec combustion version, which very few people in Ireland buy.

You will love your new car and sounds like it suits you perfectly. Best of luck with it.....

I would kick off the process to get car charger and night meter installed at your house so you are ready for action

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,351 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Excellent review and as I mentioned already you are probably the target customer for the Kona

Not someone with a Leaf 1/eGolf etc and looking to trade up. They are targeting the combustion engine person who is looking to move over to electric for the first time, as you said the spec is huge compared to your existing car.

The current electric car driver is spoilt on spec as most of the car are the equivalent of the top spec combustion version, which very few people in Ireland buy.

You will love your new car and sounds like it suits you perfectly. Best of luck with it.....

I would kick off the process to get car charger and night meter installed at your house so you are ready for action
    This tbh.
    Anyone with a leaf40/Ioniq/Egolf/i3 would consider the Kona EV a step down in all but range IMO.

Targeting drivers of older ICE cars who "need" 400+km range to make the switch is probably the best audience for the kona.

I wouldnt swap my Ioniq for one, and I'm sure many L40/egolf etc owners feel the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Did you guys have a choice of color/leather seats? I've got a deposit down last week and been told basically I'm stuck with white and he sold his only red one a couple days before.

• Advertisement

samih wrote: »
    Great review bonoman66 and well wear on the new car. Wait until you get used to driving it and then one day have to jump in a diesel. It will feel very sad to drive one.

Thank you.

I think a lot of ICE drivers will probably feel the same way (not specifically about the Kona) but about whatever EV they think may suit their own needs when they come to considering one & that they then drive for the first time.

You're right - there's no real wanting or desire to go back.....

Cheers

Thank you for the support and advice. Appreciate that.

I'll be pushing through the paperwork as fast as I can. I plan on getting the Zappi Charger but think I need the relevant paperwork sorted first (in order to ensure I get the grant I don't want to do things 'out of sequence' from an administrative perspective) before I can get any install done..

I'll have to explore more about the whole Night Meter thing. I'm just on a 'normal rate' with no Night Meter at present so have to look at the higher cost of the Night Meter Annual Charge & scrutinize my bills. You're right though - I was already prepped to start reviewing the Night Meter. I'm sure it'll probably be the appropriate route to take.

This is a great forum & I thoroughly enjoy the banter, advice & strong differing opinions here. I've learnt a lot & I guess it never ends (the learning..).;)

ELM327 wrote: »
    I wouldnt swap my Ioniq for one, and I'm sure many L40/egolf etc owners feel the same.

Nor my i3. I wouldn't even have changed my L24 for one. Obviously the range is a huge leap, but everything else would have been a step back.

Bonoman the night rate is definitely going to save you money. Even without an EV you could save some money by timing some of your stuff to run at night but with a 64kWh car charging overnight it's a no brainer.

Energia night rate is only 7 or 8c I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,147 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I'll have to explore more about the whole Night Meter thing. I'm just on a 'normal rate' with no Night Meter at present so have to look at the higher cost of the Night Meter Annual Charge & scrutinize my bills. You're right though - I was already prepped to start reviewing the Night Meter. I'm sure it'll probably be the appropriate route to take.

Assuming you will be using the home charger at night it will be a no brainer to utilise night rate. Looking at your bills wont help really as your bills are about to change completely once you connect the car.

The amount of electricity the car will use will more than make up for the increased standing charge (~€50/yr) and 1c/kWh increase in day rate.

Anything more than 3 units in total being used per night and it pays for itself. You will be using multiples of that for the car alone not to mind moving appliances to night rate as well (put your dishwasher on delayed timer etc).

What sort of meter do you have right now? Not what your bill says but what type of physical meter do you have. It might be the case you already have a day/night meter and just need to change your billing method with your provider.

If you have an old 24hr meter then ESB networks will need to come out and swap the meter..... which is free to you and then you change to day/night billing with your provider.

Did you guys have a choice of color/leather seats? I've got a deposit down last week and been told basically I'm stuck with white and he sold his only red one a couple days before.

In my case, I was just lucky with timing. I was in a position to move fast (financially) & could commit to my order on the spot. The salesman was able to give me a choice (very limited admittedly) - White Exterior, White (Creamy Colour) Leather Interior or he had the Pulse Red with Black Leather Interior already coming on the boat - so I went for the Red one. I'm not against White, but Red is my 5 year old daughters favorite color & it meant a lot to her that our new car will be Red (I had to explain Hyundai Pulse Red isn't the same as Ferrari Red :D just so there was no misunderstanding with her ;) ).

So not any real full choice from the color catalog - just a small choice from what was already scheduled to be delivered really.

I'm happy with it as I've seen that color 'in the flesh' on a regular ICE Kona & its nice. I like a darker interior so the Black Leather suits me but I have to say, after test driving the White Kona EV yesterday that the lighter White/Cream Leather interior is very nice too. Maybe with kids it would show up dirt more easily but its lovely & bright & makes the cabin feel airy..

KCross wrote: »

What sort of meter do you have right now? Not what your bill says but what type of physical meter do you have. It might be the case you already have a day/night meter and just need to change your billing method with your provider.

If you have an old 24hr meter then ESB networks will need to come out and swap the meter..... which is free to you and then you change to day/night billing with your provider.

Thank you for the advice - its a great help to get people's inputs.

My house is approx 22 years old so the meter is whatever was put in on the outside of the house in a white box, at the time the house is built - I'm totally ignorant about meter types (I think its black & square - that's all I can tell from memory as the last time I even looked at it - was maybe 10 years ago !).

Certainly from what you've said, it does look like I'll probably need to get the meter changed (presume it so old) & then have Night Rate Setup etc..

Cheers

• Advertisement

By the way - not sure if you have seen the car physically, sat in it or driven it. If not, don't be overly worried about the White. Its still a lovely car. I never thought I would have liked a lighter / White/Cream interior, but its feels very plush (nearly like a mini landrover/range rover interior :D) & looks even better when you see it in person & sit in the seats. You won't even be thinking about the exterior color when you're driving it - trust me ;)

So, yes, not ideal or fair that we didn't get to choose colors, & I know you may feel you have been 'stuck' with a White one, but a lovely new White One should be considered as better than none at all if this is the car you wanted.

What's your background - are you moving from ICE to EV for first time, what type of car do you drive now.. ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

ELM327 wrote: »
    This tbh.
    Anyone with a leaf40/Ioniq/Egolf/i3 would consider the Kona EV a step down in all but range IMO.

Targeting drivers of older ICE cars who "need" 400+km range to make the switch is probably the best audience for the kona.

It's a step down for some mid range smaller ICE cars, including mine.

eagerv wrote: »
    It's a step down for some mid range smaller ICE cars, including mine.

Yes - its almost like Hyundai Ireland didn't care, & maybe knew/suspected they would not have any issue selling the limited quantities they had (almost at any spec). Unfortunately, I don't think they (Hyundai Ireland & Kia Ireland) are going to improve their mindsets with regard to the future spec or pricing of their EVs, based on the public response they have seen with Kona (if you believe the response - I'm just going by the articles I've read & looking at the response in other countries). Look what is going on currently with e-Niro pricing in Norway - that's annoyed a lot of people there. The manufacturers are 'hedging their bets' & delaying specs/pricing so they can revise upward anywhere they feel they'll get away with it I'd guess...

We just need more EV volumes & EV competition at moderate pricing & it may help sort that behavior out a little - but it'll take a while for that to happen I'd say.

The Kona EV is very much a personal choice & just suits me as I'm moving from an old, non high spec Diesel, so the limited spec is still a super upgrade for me, I need/want the extended range & don't want to have to rely on any public charging etc.. but I'm I'm certainly under no illusion how much better the UK Spec is & how well specified / better specified a lot of current EVs & ICE Cars are that cost the same or less.

I am fairly sure I would not make this move to the Kona EV if my current car was more recent (whether it was an EV or ICE) with a higher spec etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Yes - its almost like Hyundai Ireland didn't care, & maybe knew/suspected they would not have any issue selling the limited quantities they had (almost at any spec). Unfortunately, I don't think they (Hyundai Ireland & Kia Ireland) are going to improve their mindsets with regard to the future spec or pricing of their EVs, based on the public response they have seen with Kona (if you believe the response - I'm just going by the articles I've read & looking at the response in other countries). Look what is going on currently with e-Niro pricing in Norway - that's annoyed a lot of people there. The manufacturers are 'hedging their bets' & delaying specs/pricing so they can revise upward anywhere they feel they'll get away with it I'd guess...

We just need more EV volumes & EV competition at moderate pricing & it may help sort that behavior out a little - but it'll take a while for that to happen I'd say.

The Kona EV is very much a personal choice & just suits me as I'm moving from an old, non high spec Diesel, so the limited spec is still a super upgrade for me, I need/want the extended range & don't want to have to rely on any public charging etc.. but I'm I'm certainly under no illusion how much better the UK Spec is & how well specified / better specified a lot of current EVs & ICE Cars are that cost the same or less.

I am fairly sure I would not make this move to the Kona EV if my current car was more recent (whether it was an EV or ICE) with a higher spec etc.

Very best wishes with new car, I am sure you will be delighted.

The Kona would suit us in almost every way perfectly, now that the kids have grown up. Except for a few items such as LED lights, ACC, a decent sound system and a built in nav system. Most of these I have been used to for over 10 years (Xenons before LED's) I drive a lot at night on country roads so would find it difficult to return to halogens.

Looks like I will be waiting a bit longer before changing...
    Until VW underprice the opposition next year with the €25K Neo!:D:D

eagerv wrote: »
    Very best wishes with new car, I am sure you will be delighted.

The Kona would suit us in almost every way perfectly, now that the kids have grown up. Except for a few items such as LED lights, ACC, a decent sound system and a built in nav system. Most of these I have been used to for over 10 years (Xenons before LED's) I drive a lot at night on country roads so would find it difficult to return to halogens.

Looks like I will be waiting a bit longer before changing...
    Until VW underprice the opposition next year with the €25K Neo!:D:D

Thanks very much.

It's going to be an interesting time over the next 12 to 24 months with regards to the EV landscape I'd imagine. Hopefully a much better range of choice, price points & forcing actual competition between EV manufacturers.

I have the EV bug now anyway ! I can't see it going away & I'd say I'll want another upgrade in a few years again....;) Maybe then I'll get the spec Hyundai should have given me this time :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement