Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Still pretty torn after looking at the speculation about the Model 3 pricing (55k+)

Do we think that Hyundai might let you choose your colours of the main/roof/internals next year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

dmcg90 wrote: »
    Still pretty torn after looking at the speculation about the Model 3 pricing (55k+)

Do we think that Hyundai might let you choose your colours of the main/roof/internals next year?

It's kind of hard to say with any certainty I think.

If I was asked for my 'personal guess', based on the little I know & how I see what is happening with the over subscription / demand / interest in the Kona EV here & other countries & with the e-Niro.

I'd say no.

Why ?

Because I'm not sure/confident they'll be able to manufacture enough of these types of cars to meet demand within the specified time frames people seem to want / expect them in.

Ireland seems to be treated poorly by car manufacturers (nothing new there I suppose - we're a smaller potential market) - we seem to be 'fed the scraps' of whatever is left.

I've no confidence that the likes of Hyundai/Kia Ireland or dealers here have the clout to make any impression at a higher Global / European Level with the manufacturers - eg to fight for us, to make the situation better for us. They'll do what they're told & take what they're given & we'll be happy with it :eek:

Its possible, eventually that you'll be able to have a proper choice of spec / color - but if again I was to guess - I wouldn't imagine that would happen next year. But its only a guess & I'll be delighted if I'm wrong etc..

If you are interested in the Kona EV (have the budget, can move fast to order & of course if it meets your needs) - why not ring around several dealers to see if they have any options for you in terms of preconfigured color combinations. I was lucky & got at least 2 options. You may be lucky too ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

bonoman66 wrote: »
    What's your background - are you moving from ICE to EV for first time, what type of car do you drive now.. ?

Yeah I did indeed take it for a test drive. Guess if I have my choice it would be a dark interior and some color other than white tbh :D (even like the "acid yellow" they have online :pac:). But I am being led to believe I'm pretty lucky to be getting one so if its white it's white it ain't a deal breaker.

Driving a 06 ICE having never driven a BEV before it's really a game changer for me. I'm about to go from driving less that 10k km a year to a train station to 40-50k km a year into Dublin because this is the first car that can do the range.

Yeah I did indeed take it for a test drive. Guess if I have my choice it would be a dark interior and some color other than white tbh :D (even like the "acid yellow" they have online :pac:). But I am being led to believe I'm pretty lucky to be getting one so if its white it's white it ain't a deal breaker.

Driving a 06 ICE having never driven a BEV before it's really a game changer for me. I'm about to go from driving less that 10k km a year to a train station to 40-50k km a year into Dublin because this is the first car that can do the range.

Thanks for the background.

I'd tend to agree or say its most likely correct when you were told that you are lucky to be getting one at all. Of course this should not be the case & you should be able to pick whatever color & spec config you like from a catalog option list (or at least have same type of choice as early UK buyers did.) Indeed if it were a more commonly available ICE Car, I'd expect you'd have no such issue/limitation. But this is a special car just at the minute mainly because of its range / power / positive driving experience combination.

I don't usually believe all I'm told about something like a car from a dealer but a lot of dealers seem to be 'singing from the same hymn sheet' on this car & its clear to see that there does indeed appear to be far more demand than supply at this point in time & that's in several countries not just here.

I'd say be happy with your White One - you'll love it & I guess you know that from driving it. Your situation is similar to mine in that your coming from an older 06 ICE to this high tech EV. It'll be brilliant for you - a comfortable, low cost per kilometer, smile inducing driving experience.

Just look at the expression on this guy's face & listen to his tone as he tests sport mode response. I've absolutely no idea what he is even saying (I think I heard him say 'hefty' in there somewhere !) but you can tell he loves the way the car drives & its handling, throttle response. It made him smile & appear happy while driving it..That's pretty cool... :D

https://youtu.be/mrIxJ_VUHE8?t=2217

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No

Based on the current strategy from Hyundai you can take a good stab this will continue. They are backing every horse so to speak. They have Petrol/Diesel/Hybrid/Plug in hybrid/Mild hybrid/BEV/hydrogen engines currently or soon to be released

As they are not putting their money into one option then expect them to struggle with large quantities of specific models. So BEV will suffer because they are not in a position to buy enough batteries and with the Irish market been so small we will suffer as they will supply the larger markets first.....

Hence why you now have Hyundai dealers importing Ioniq from the UK because they can't buy the car from Hyundai direct. Pure madness.

Unti Hyundai decide to go BEV 100% you will expect things like this to continue....

P.S. VW are the same with the current eGolf, you can order something and expect a 12-18 month order time or they could have something in x colour on a ship with y features so you can take that in 4 weeks......

Hopefully that will change with Neo :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Going for a test drive on Saturday, I'm afraid that I might buy one and upgrade from the L24!

Going for a test drive on Saturday, I'm afraid that I might buy one and upgrade from the L24!

Have a great time - let us know as an EV driver / owner already what you think of the drive / handling / response etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

bonoman66 wrote: »
    Have a great time - let us know as an EV driver / owner already what you think of the drive / handling / response etc..

I will update afterwards, looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Going for a test drive myself on Saturday as well, will report back afterwards!

Dealer says there is a chance, but not a guarantee, of getting one in January for €37,600 on the road.

• Advertisement

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Going for a test drive myself on Saturday as well, will report back afterwards!

Dealer says there is a chance, but not a guarantee, of getting one in January for €37,600 on the road.

That's great - hope you enjoy the test drive.

Looking forward to hearing what you think.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Hi Guys

I had a test drive today in a kona ev. The car was lovely but too many cuts for my liking. As well as the paddy spec did anyone notice that there is no sat nav in it either! Im proper discusted about that.
    He also guarenteed a delivery in jan 2019. Price is €36995 plus €850 delivery. So total of 37845

dashoonage wrote: »

Majority I have seen are White. Not sure why. It may be because its just the cheapest color for them (Hyundai) to produce 'en mass' (even though these are not really being produced 'en mass' in a typical sense of the word compared to ICE production).

Maybe also Hyundai figure someone may be more likely to 'settle for White', rather than some other more striking color that some may be dead set against.

They may be hedging their bets on White just being the more acceptable / Neutral type color.

It could be that its faster for them to produce in White or they've more White Paint, more readily / cheaply available etc..

All my guesses...so sorry can't tell you with any certainty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Hi Guys

I had a test drive today in a kona ev. The car was lovely but too many cuts for my liking. As well as the paddy spec did anyone notice that there is no sat nav in it either! Im proper discusted about that.
    He also guarenteed a delivery in jan 2019. Price is €36995 plus €850 delivery. So total of 37845

Just curious why anyone wants a Sat nav. Apple/Android car play is standard in these and you can use a fully up to date, no updates required Google maps. Just plug in your phone.

Hi Guys

Thanks for that feedback.

Yep - I was aware of & I'd accepted there was no Sat Nav (My own car has none anyway so I wouldn't be missing it). I have an external Garmin Sav Nav at present for when I need it. I plan to use Android Auto with something like Waze or similar..if & when I need it.

The dealer pricing seems tight enough - all seem within approx €300 to €500 of each other based on what I've seen & there may be slight variations where someone is purchasing with cash versus cash with trade in..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,666 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Damien360 wrote: »
    Just curious why anyone wants a Sat nav. Apple/Android car play is standard in these and you can use a fully up to date, no updates required Google maps. Just plug in your phone.

Proper integration. No need to plug in phones and mount them somewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

ted1 wrote: »
    Proper integration. No need to plug in phones and mount them somewhere

But doesn’t android auto integrate seamlessly like Bluetooth voice and has wireless charging also so it is the same as having a built in sat nav but you get to pick one you like that is always up to date rather than a manufacturers out of date one?

Isn’t that the point of it?

KCross wrote: »
    But doesn’t android auto integrate seamlessly like Bluetooth voice and has wireless charging also so it is the same as having a built in sat nav but you get to pick one you like that is always up to date rather than a manufacturers out of date one?

This article gives some perspective & captures the main points I think (in Built Sat Nav Vs Android Auto / Apple Car Play)...

https://www.southernphone.com.au/Blog/2018/Feb/vehicle-navigation-smartphone-apps-vs-inbuilt-gps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

I've refused to plug my phone in to anything for years. Next version of Android Auto is supposed to work wirelessly. I might use it then :D

Damien360 wrote: »

Ive used Android auto in the ioniq and I dont like it. I dont like having to plug something in every time.
    More to the point, why is it not included? Also the "nearby charging stations" which works in conjunction with google maps is obvioisly gone too. In the UK it is included in two out of the three specs. I would have definately bought this car but not when the adaptive cruse and the other 30 spec cuts. Basically we have the lowest spec with leather to sweeten people up. Im very dissipointed in hyundai but it looks like they will sell out easily.

Thats not my experience of it. I fould it very fiddley to say the least

What would happen if one doesnt have a bill phone or data plan or credit. Can maps be used on a phone for free. It seems like a cost cutting measure by hyundai ireland but charge us approx the same as the top spec in the uk...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

>What would happen if one doesnt have >a bill phone or data plan or credit. Can >maps be used on a phone for free.

Generally google maps and android auto needs internet, but there is a way using offline maps to pre download map data at home on WiFi.

One big downside of android auto and google maps is that if you are in the sticks with no signal, or no phone or no data credit left, navigation will not start. Generally you need data at start of trip to begin navigation.

I find in the ioniq the inbuit sat nav is not great but does work. Google maps has live traffic rerouting but it us fiddely to start. I generally start navigation on phone THEN connect it.

zg3409 wrote: »
    I find in the ioniq the inbuit sat nav is not great but does work. Google maps has live traffic rerouting but it us fiddely to start. I generally start navigation on phone THEN connect it.

Inbuilt sat nav does have live traffic too, but it needs an internet connection (which Ioniq itself doesn't have). So it updates when you start the car (connects to your home's wifi) but if you need it to keep updating, you will need to use your phone as an access point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

i'm currently driving a ford with built in sat nav, its the worst GPS i've ever used. So i just use Waze on my phone and i don't have any issues with that although you do need data connection (3 all you can eat data etc. €20 p/m). I plan on using Waze in the Kona hopefully it will work well through Android auto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Is there anyone left not on a billphone with a data plan of at least 15gb?
    I use apple carplay since they added google maps to it without a second thought, and it works perfectly fine even on "E" coverage, slower than 3g but perfectly usable.

The inbuilt satnav is crap, and I can't see why carmakers include OEM nav anymore, everyone uses carplay/android auto anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

ELM327 wrote: »
    Is there anyone left not on a billphone with a data plan of at least 15gb?
    I use apple carplay since they added google maps to it without a second thought, and it works perfectly fine even on "E" coverage, slower than 3g but perfectly usable.

The inbuilt satnav is crap, and I can't see why carmakers include OEM nav anymore, everyone uses carplay/android auto anyway.

*waves hand in the air*
    Me. :D
    I have 1g as I don't use it much. It's still enough to use Google maps, update the live traffic, the odd bit of info grab from chrome, etc. And it's tethered to my wife's phone too.

I love my own music on the plugged in 32g USB stick (more like a tiny blob of plastic) and as there is only 1 USB into the head unit, the phone doesn't get plugged in.

I find the Android Auto to be clunky and too fussy to use. The Apple Carplay seems to be the same, through my son's phone. I find the nav with the latest firmware update to be quite good, the live traffic is great to have, and has helped me to detour around a jam numerous times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

*waves hand in the air*
    I have 1g as I don't use it much. It's still enough to use Google maps, update the live traffic, the odd bit of info grab from chrome, etc. And it's tethered to my wife's phone too.

I love my own music on the plugged in 32g USB stick (more like a tiny blob of plastic) and as there is only 1 USB into the head unit, the phone doesn't get plugged in.

I find the Android Auto to be clunky and too fussy to use. The Apple Carplay seems to be the same, through my son's phone. I find the nav with the latest firmware update to be quite good and the live traffic is great to have, and has helped me to detour around a jam numerous times.
    To be honest my experience of apple car play (and I assume AA is the same) is to set what you want (google maps, music etc) on the phone and then connect it to the car, as the interface is crap on the car screen.

*waves hand in the air*

I find the Android Auto to be clunky and too fussy to use. The Apple Carplay seems to be the same, through my son's phone. I find the nav with the latest firmware update to be quite good, the live traffic is great to have, and has helped me to detour around a jam numerous times.

If you download the maps on google maps using wifi, then use in car, it only uses minimal amounts of data

• Advertisement

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    If you download the maps on google maps using wifi, then use in car, it only uses minimal amounts of data

Yep, I know that, but that's not the problem. I just don't like the way AA works. Having to plug the phone in to use AA is a pain, and using Google does away with a lot of the built in functionality. I can't remember, but don't you lose turn by turn directions, both on the screen and in-dash. Waze maps are better than Google, but the interaction with the car and the use of it's dash display is non existent, IIRC.

Also, as I said, using AA, I lose my USB music. With the Kona, this choice is taken away. :( Unless the Kona has more than one USB in to the head unit. I doubt it though.

Was in dealer today. He reckons Apple have done a better job (less fiddling) than Android Auto, but he's a big Apple fan.

I for one am glad I'm not paying for a sat nav I would never, ever use. Android Auto and Google Maps is unbeatable for me. If the UI is not great now at least you know it will improve over time. It works offline if you pre-download your route, easy peasy these days.

5k put down on a (regrettably, white :D) Kona today. Just need to sort out a home charger now which I'm a little nervous of because it's going to be a tricky job I think.

The dealer had 5 he could get his hands on, 4 white and the guy before me got the only red one. Sold them all in less than a week, he even had someone in offering to pay over the odds for one which he couldn't source so had to turn him away.

Was in dealer today. He reckons Apple have done a better job (less fiddling) than Android Auto, but he's a big Apple fan.

I for one am glad I'm not paying for a sat nav I would never, ever use. Android Auto and Google Maps is unbeatable for me. If the UI is not great now at least you know it will improve over time. It works offline if you pre-download your route, easy peasy these days.

5k put down on a (regrettably, white :D) Kona today. Just need to sort out a home charger now which I'm a little nervous of because it's going to be a tricky job I think.

The dealer had 5 he could get his hands on, 4 white and the guy before me got the only red one. Sold them all in less than a week, he even had someone in offering to pay over the odds for one which he couldn't source so had to turn him away.

Congratulations on your new purchase. Don't be too put out by the White. Its still a lovely car and you can probably count yourself lucky to have gotten one the way these are being snapped up everywhere ! I'd be happy with White versus none and no guarantee of when or if you might get one in any second wave etc...

Well wear DesperateDan!

There will be a lot of disappointed people who missed out on Kona EV. And the waiting list will be the guts of a year for people who didn't get one in the first batch.

I don’t understand how any sane person would walk into a dealer and offer above the sale price? It’s just the most stupid thing I ever heard

It’s an electric Kona, turn around and you can buy a better spec petrol for 25k, save yourself 13k. Then wait 12 months and you will have 3-4 electric cars to choose from including the Kona

It just doesn’t make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

I don’t understand how any sane person would walk into a dealer and offer above the sale price? It’s just the most stupid thing I ever heard

It’s an electric Kona, turn around and you can buy a better spec petrol for 25k, save yourself 13k. Then wait 12 months and you will have 3-4 electric cars to choose from including the Kona

What are those 3-4 cars?

Well in my situation it's lifting me out of a very long commute and I'm paying it back over the maximum 5 years. If I was to get a 25k diesel, sure my repayments might be €400 instead of €600 but I'd be putting €100 of diesel into it a week.

I don't know how renegotiating a diesel which has been 1/5 paid in exchange for a Kia eNiro for example, would go (or if it's even possible), but it sounds like something that would end up costing me extra.

So if I had to would I pay an extra 2k for a Kona? Probably I would (just) because it's the immediate 5 years of my life I'm thinking in terms of and not waiting another year would be worth it to me. Having said that the first thing I would be looking at is importing the full spec from the UK instead!

Well in my situation it's lifting me out of a very long commute and I'm paying it back over the maximum 5 years. If I was to get a 25k diesel, sure my repayments might be €400 instead of €600 but I'd be putting €100 of diesel into it a week.

I don't know how renegotiating a diesel which has been 1/5 paid in exchange for a Kia eNiro for example, would go (or if it's even possible), but it sounds like something that would end up costing me extra.

So if I had to would I pay an extra 2k for a Kona? Probably I would (just) because it's the immediate 5 years of my life I'm thinking in terms of and not waiting another year would be worth it to me. Having said that the first thing I would be looking at is importing the full spec from the UK instead!

How long is your commute?

Few month old Renault Zoe 40 has no pay back compared to diesel

Nearly half the price of Kona with decent range

22k for few month olds in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Doing that kind of distance a year , an ev is the ONLY choice. You will save your self about 5k a year in fuel alone , 10k in two years..... you will be laughing your ass off every time you pass a petrol pump.. great stuff

Mike9832 wrote: »
    What are those 3-4 cars?

Leaf L40
    Leaf L60
    Kona
    e-Niro
    Model 3
    VW Neo
    Potentially VW Crozz

To name a few

• Advertisement

I am not saying buying an electric car doesn't make sense. Also buying a Kona will make sense to some users....

But people coming in and offering over the asking price is silly and just shows that Hyundai are 100% right with the half ass spec for a high price.

If you can't buy a Kona on this release why not come to agreement with dealer to receive one from next shipment and if you really need a car then buy a cheap run around till then......save your money

You never know on next launch they might have scrappage and that is 4k for a car so you could be quids in.....

Leaf L40
    Leaf L60
    Kona
    e-Niro
    Model 3
    VW Neo
    Potentially VW Crozz

To name a few

2 of them are basically a Kona in a different body in the Leaf 60/Niro, why wait for them?

Tesla will be way more expensive, small battery is years off

VW lol 😂 wouldn't be relying on those concepts

How long is your commute?

Few month old Renault Zoe 40 has no pay back compared to diesel

Nearly half the price of Kona with decent range

22k for few month olds in the UK

Aye thought of that but no charging at work right now, commute round trip would be 212km mostly on motorway

2 of them are basically a Kona in a different body in the Leaf 60/Niro, why wait for them?

Tesla will be way more expensive, small battery is years off

VW lol 😂 wouldn't be relying on those concepts

The Niro is streets ahead of the Kona in my opinion and I have driven Both

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Had planned to test drive of the Kona today. Myself and wifey took one look at the boot and decided it was way too small for us, didn't even bother with the test drive then!

If the size works for you it's a fantastic range to have, but it's not for us.

For comparison we test drove the Leaf 40 right after and wifey was happy with that! Just waiting for the 60kWh one next August!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

BigAl81 wrote: »
    For comparison we test drove the Leaf 40 right after and wifey was happy with that! Just waiting for the 60kWh one next August!

Just don't count on that date coming through. I think it's highly unlikely.

Dealers for the most part are full of crap. As recently as August my local Kia dealer was telling me that demos of the e-Niro would be around by the end of the year and deliveries on the road for 191.

Now Kia have basically dumped that back by almost a year.

I don't think any of the usual in the Kona people like Bjorn Nyland have mentioned any solid plans for the L60 so I highly doubt that an Irish dealer has got the inside scoop.

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Just don't count on that date coming through. I think it's highly unlikely.

Dealers for the most part are full of crap. As recently as August my local Kia dealer was telling me that demos of the e-Niro would be around by the end of the year and deliveries on the road for 191.

Now Kia have basically dumped that back by almost a year.

I don't think any of the usual in the Kona people like Bjorn Nyland have mentioned any solid plans for the L60 so I highly doubt that an Irish dealer has got the inside scoop.

Its all a mess tbh and a sad state of affairs for consumers

Japanese nothing

Koreans no intention of mass production

French alliance half assing it as they do

Germans boring us all to death with bull**** concepts

Scandinavians nothing

Tesla and the Chinese are the only ones pushing it

lol @ Nissan and the Leaf 60

Nearly 10 years after the original Leaf and the best they can do is sell on a now nearly 4 year old LG Chevy Bolt for 40k :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

When manufacturers spot that they can get a higher margin on EVs, they'll will make them. Profit is their business.

Supply and demand. Simples.

In the USA, Ioniq EV are now selling for the full MRRP plus USD3,000 :eek:

And they all sell...

• Advertisement

If anyone's looking for a red Kona EV, drop me a PM. I got a whisper that one is coming into a dealer near me, and it's available. ;)

Advertisement