Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Hyundai is missing a golden opportunity. They have a 12-18 month window to grab as much market share as they can before Tesla gets to Europe in force , and when they do they wont be asking permission , they will just be taking market share in much the same way as they are now in the US, BMW , Audi etc are all getting their clock cleaned by Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭Doc el brown

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Hyundai is missing a golden opportunity. They have a 12-18 month window to grab as much market share as they can before Tesla gets to Europe in force , and when they do they wont be asking permission , they will just be taking market share in much the same way as they are now in the US, BMW , Audi etc are all getting their clock cleaned by Tesla

Totally agree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

Are they though...am I really going to be able to get a 38k tesla in a few years ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

Took the Kona for a spin yesterday, and here are my impressions.

Note: there will be a lot of comparison between this K64 and the 24kWh Leaf (L24).

THE GOOD
    1. The handling is excellent; the high seating position with low centre of gravity is good.
    2. Acceleration is fantastic; it is significantly nippier than the L24.
    3. The range, it should easily do over 400km. This is Tesla range for less than half the price.
    4. The dimpled front “grill” actually looks good in person; online photos made it look awful.
    5. The brakes are excellent, the L24 brakes are a bit sharp when stopping after moving at low speed, there was none of that here.
    6. I liked the paddle selector for the strength of the regenerative breaking; I could see myself using that.
    7. I liked the sound of the low speed pedestrian warning system, particularly compared to the awful whine/whistle of the L24.

THE BAD
    1. The interior. It all felt a bit claustrophobic.
    2. Really more interior issues: it looked cheap enough and is not the interior you would expect from a €37,500 car.
    3. The height of the front passenger seat cannot be adjusted.
    4. Seats were particularly uncomfortable compared to the L24.
    5. The steering wheel felt cheap.
    6. Rear leg room is not great, I suspected this before but it was confirmed here.
    7. Boot space also isn’t great.
    8. White seems to be the only available option, I don’t mind that, others will though.

THE UGLY
    1. I also sat in the IONIQ for the first time, and have to say I really liked it, although I never appreciated low long the car is!
    2. The IONIQ largely does away with every point on the bad list above.

Hyundai will have no trouble selling these, and it really is the first non-Tesla EV available in Ireland that could 100% replace any ICE car, however I'll holding on to the L24 and see what other options are available in the next year or two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dglflyer wrote: »

Agreed. And I sense Hyundai has very aggressive plans for the US market too. But they just can't get the batteries.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

unkel wrote: »
    Agreed. And I sense Hyundai has very aggressive plans for the US market too. But they just can't get the batteries.

Hyundai group had a record FY18

As did Mercedes, Volvo, BMW, VW and about every other auto giant, its ridiculous to say they are hurting, hence why they are in no rush to mass produce EVs and won't do so for years

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Hyundai group had a record FY18

As did Mercedes, Volvo, BMW, VW and about every other auto giant, its ridiculous to say they are hurting, hence why they are in no rush to mass produce EVs and won't do so for years

I didn't say they are hurting, did I? You are just making that up.

I can't prove it but I am of the opinion that Hyundai (Kia) have very aggressive plans to go for higher auto market penetration (probably with EVs). I'd say they would only wish they could get more batteries.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Yeah nobody can make the batteries fast enough except Nissan and they have been at it for 10 years.

This puts Tesla and Gigafactory 1 in an extraordinary position as not only will they be pumping out some of the best EVs on the market they will be doing it significantly faster than anyone else.

While Tesla has been a running joke for reliability, Musk and lead times, they've been perfecting their factories while everyone else has been asleep at the wheel, or totally bogged down producing ICEs and failing emissions tests :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Took the Kona for a spin yesterday, and here are my impressions.

Note: there will be a lot of comparison between this K64 and the 24kWh Leaf (L24).

THE GOOD
    1. The handling is excellent; the high seating position with low centre of gravity is good.
    2. Acceleration is fantastic; it is significantly nippier than the L24.
    3. The range, it should easily do over 400km. This is Tesla range for less than half the price.
    4. The dimpled front “grill” actually looks good in person; online photos made it look awful.
    5. The brakes are excellent, the L24 brakes are a bit sharp when stopping after moving at low speed, there was none of that here.
    6. I liked the paddle selector for the strength of the regenerative breaking; I could see myself using that.
    7. I liked the sound of the low speed pedestrian warning system, particularly compared to the awful whine/whistle of the L24.

THE BAD
    1. The interior. It all felt a bit claustrophobic.
    2. Really more interior issues: it looked cheap enough and is not the interior you would expect from a €37,500 car.
    3. The height of the front passenger seat cannot be adjusted.
    4. Seats were particularly uncomfortable compared to the L24.
    5. The steering wheel felt cheap.
    6. Rear leg room is not great, I suspected this before but it was confirmed here.
    7. Boot space also isn’t great.
    8. White seems to be the only available option, I don’t mind that, others will though.

THE UGLY
    1. I also sat in the IONIQ for the first time, and have to say I really liked it, although I never appreciated low long the car is!
    2. The IONIQ largely does away with every point on the bad list above.

Hyundai will have no trouble selling these, and it really is the first non-Tesla EV available in Ireland that could 100% replace any ICE car, however I'll holding on to the L24 and see what other options are available in the next year or two.

Thanks very much for updating us here.

That was great feedback to hear from the perspective of an existing EV owner.

Much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Nice to see thierry back on the forum again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭patmac

I drove one today and it is very nice and I might be able to get hold of the Dark Night Grey one. What is the best cash price I will get for cash I wonder? I will have to make a decision shortly on whether to buy or more importantly to try and convince herself if it’s a good idea and I am wondering is it?
    My commute is 55kms each way per day, the odd trip to the airport (320kms) and relatives once a month. €38k though is a lot of money and I am currently driving a Fiesta Diesel 2014 which I may trade in or keep for the other half. I would like this car and to be honest I would be keeping this for 10 years at least.
    Should I buy or not?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Really is a personal decision for you. Can't see why not esp if keeping the Ford.
    I suspect the Ford will get little use. You are correct though, the price is high.

patmac wrote: »
    I drove one today and it is very nice and I might be able to get hold of the Dark Night Grey one. What is the best cash price I will get for cash I wonder? I will have to make a decision shortly on whether to buy or more importantly to try and convince herself if it’s a good idea and I am wondering is it?
    My commute is 55kms each way per day, the odd trip to the airport (320kms) and relatives once a month. €38k though is a lot of money and I am currently driving a Fiesta Diesel 2014 which I may trade in or keep for the other half. I would like this car and to be honest I would be keeping this for 10 years at least.
    Should I buy or not?

I paid deposit today for my galactic grey one. No cash incentive. The price is the price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Should I buy or not?

Depends what your buying for

If you want a new quick little car then go for it, only live once

If its only to spare money on your commute like most here I wouldn't bother

Can't see how spending €40,000 to save €35 a week in diesel makes financial sense

Ioniq @ €25, 000(scrappage offer) makes much more financial sense than Kona

Your Fiesta is already low tax, low running, economical

If you just want a change fair enough

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Should I buy or not?

Patmac, if the idea is to buy a new car in general, have the money and you really like it then go for it. Nothing nicer than a fresh clean car sitting in your driveway :) It would be perfectly suited for all your journeys with that kind of mileage.

If the idea is to save money on your everyday journey and still have the opportunity to make the 320km round trip or any other trip then a purchase of 161/171 SVE/Tekna Leaf 30kw with 6.6kw charger for anything between 15-19k and keeping your Fiesta is a much wiser option. That would keep 19-23k in your pocket, get you a bigger car (if you need it of course) and would be an ideal step gap till 2020-ish when the choice ot EVs would at least triple what we have now... I like the Kona looks but for 38k I do not think you are getting a good value EV...

Mike9832 wrote: »
    Depends what your buying for

If you want a new quick little car then go for it, only live once

If its only to spare money on your commute like most here I wouldn't bother

Can't see how spending €40,000 to save €35 a week in diesel makes financial sense

Ioniq @ €25, 000(scrappage offer) makes much more financial sense than Kona

Your Fiesta is already low tax, low running, economical

If you just want a change fair enough
    I’m currently spending €60 on diesel, I’m sorry that I didn’t buy the Ioniq but there are only second hand ones available at around €29k, also my wife has a 2004 Toyota good for another 2 years , so may sell the Fiesta instead, to help fund this.
    The other alternative is to get something that will do 150km per day at 120-130 kms in winter. I think only the Leaf40 (not happy with rapidgate) and Ioniq can do this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

I’m currently spending €60 on diesel, I’m sorry that I didn’t buy the Ioniq but there are only second hand ones available at around €29k, also my wife has a 2004 Toyota good for another 2 years , so may sell the Fiesta instead, to help fund this.
    The other alternative is to get something that will do 150km per day at 120-130 kms in winter. I think only the Leaf40 (not happy with rapidgate) and Ioniq can do this.
    Rumour has it that there will be a few Ioniqs available for reg in 2019. Anyone thinking of one should grill their local dealer, and if that doesn't produce ressults, grill all 30 of them. :)

Rumour has it that there will be a few Ioniqs available for reg in 2019. Anyone thinking of one should grill their local dealer, and if that doesn't produce ressults, grill all 30 of them. :)

That is true. My local dealer told me yesterday that he ordered 3 and they are due in December. Any one looking for an ioniq I will be trading mine in in Jan. I might sell it private before then.

That is true. My local dealer told me yesterday that he ordered 3 and they are due in December. Any one looking for an ioniq I will be trading mine in in Jan. I might sell it private before then.

Just to be clear, these will be the same as Ioniqs already sold. No bigger battery or facelift. If they do scrappage on them, they'll be a great buy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hyundai would be mad to do scrappage on a car that they cannot get supply of, to the fact they have to plunder ex demos from the UK!

• Advertisement

Just to be clear, these will be the same as Ioniqs already sold. No bigger battery or facelift. If they do scrappage on them, they'll be a great buy.

Correct. My local guy said that too. But when I was in Paris the hyundai guys said that a bigger battery ioniq is coming end of 2019 to europe...I dont know how true that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Correct. My local guy said that too. But when I was in Paris the hyundai guys said that a bigger battery ioniq is coming end of 2019 to europe...I dont know how true that is
    That rumour has been around for a while but gaining some recent traction.
    The Ioniq with even the 39kWh battery would be a super long range car.

Ioniq with the Kona's 64kWh could be hypermiled to 1000km :eek:

peposhi wrote: »
    If the idea is to save money on your everyday journey and still have the opportunity to make the 320km round trip or any other trip then a purchase of 161/171 SVE/Tekna Leaf 30kw with 6.6kw charger for anything between 15-19k and keeping your Fiesta is a much wiser option. That would keep 19-23k in your pocket, get you a bigger car (if you need it of course) and would be an ideal step gap till 2020-ish when the choice ot EVs would at least triple what we have now... I like the Kona looks but for 38k I do not think you are getting a good value EV...

That’s a very sensible post which I will have to keep away from the other half! Think I’ll wait and do the above or hope for an Ioniq. Although....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

Kona has been added to the home charger grant form ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Disaster averted then!:p

Thanks for that.
    I have a charger but was going to put one in my parents house. I am a sparks but Im not working in the field anymore. Could I buy one from a sparks and install it myself? Is the grant 600€ still?

ELM327 wrote: »
    Hyundai would be mad to do scrappage on a car that they cannot get supply of, to the fact they have to plunder ex demos from the UK!

There seems to be a clearout going on with the Ioniq. Foreign forums are also reporting new Ioniqs turning up at dealers in 3s and 4s.

I thought I heard some mutterings of scrappage now on the Ioniq. Not 100% sure on that though. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thanks for that.
    I have a charger but was going to put one in my parents house. I am a sparks but Im not working in the field anymore. Could I buy one from a sparks and install it myself? Is the grant 600€ still?

The grant requires a cert to be provided. If you are not currently RECI certified you cant provide that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Thanks for that.

You need certs etc.....

In reality it will be cheaper for you to source a charger and install yourself. All the grant has done is raised the price of install by 600 quid....like all SEAI grants it is just a price gouge by the tradesperson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭denismc

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    You need certs etc.....

In reality it will be cheaper for you to source a charger and install yourself. All the grant has done is raised the price of install by 600 quid....like all SEAI grants it is just a price gouge by the tradesperson

If he buys a new charger and installs it himself it is still going to cost him 5-600 euro so I don't see how foregoing the grant is saving him money?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

I would recommend source the charger, mount it on wall etc. and get someone with certs to sign it off and fill up paperwork. You do not need yo provide receipt for charger but electrician needs to do paperwork and certify. You could split the 600 for the labour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

Did anyone come across an ioniq available for a test drive in Dublin on their travels recently?
    Was told they wouldn't have one until the end of November by my local dealer.

denismc wrote: »
    If he buys a new charger and installs it himself it is still going to cost him 5-600 euro so I don't see how foregoing the grant is saving him money?

No it won't

I picked up a charger for 100 quid second hand for my mother....

I got the one I have for my car free with car but cost would have been 200 quid.....

Unless you are buying top of the line charger you dont need to spend 500-600....

To get my charger installed cost the massive sum of 250 quid.

denismc wrote: »

True 😀

• Advertisement

True ��

30 seconds on googel and I found the following
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PodPoint-7KW-15-30A-EV-Electric-Cars-Battery-Charger-Universal-Socket-4-ALL-CARS/282978318550?hash=item41e2d278d6:g:gXwAAOSwm4NbBUIz:rk:45:pf:0

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Chargemaster-Universal-Charger-Type-2-Socket-16A/123469014300?hash=item1cbf53a51c:g:WtcAAOSwo3Fb3wT0:rk:2:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Expect any of the installation companies to start at 1k and go upwards

You can try source charger and ask electrician to install, see what it comes in at....

Shefwedfan wrote: »

Thanks for that. The one for 60 big ones would do the job grand wouldnt it. Only need for the parents place.

Guys and Gals,

I ordered a kona the other day dispite the fact that im dissipointed in the weak spec. Anyway, the color I ordered is a Galactic Grey. I noticed on the docket that he added in €850 for metallic paint. Now that didnt ring any alarm bells until I read that in the UK the only two colors that are not charged for metallic paint are Chalk White and Metallic Grey.
    Does any one know if the Galactic Grey is actually metallic or has any one else on here ordered that color and were you charged for the metallic paint?

Many thanks in advance.

Thanks for that. The one for 60 big ones would do the job grand wouldnt it. Only need for the parents place.

That’s the one I have installed as primary charge point at my house....it is perfect

People think the chargers and installation is expensive because of rip off ireland

It’s a big plug, nothing else, run a cable and that’s it more or less

Maybe a priority switchbut sure you do that for a shower anyway

Guys and Gals,

I ordered a kona the other day dispite the fact that im dissipointed in the weak spec. Anyway, the color I ordered is a Galactic Grey. I noticed on the docket that he added in €850 for metallic paint. Now that didnt ring any alarm bells until I read that in the UK the only two colors that are not charged for metallic paint are Chalk White and Metallic Grey.
    Does any one know if the Galactic Grey is actually metallic or has any one else on here ordered that color and were you charged for the metallic paint?

Many thanks in advance.

Garage won’t have a clue and once it’s not white they will slap in charge for metallic paint....question them on it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,606 ✭✭✭Damien360

Guys and Gals,

Many thanks in advance.

It's a lovely colour. Stick with it. There is one in Newbridge that colour and it blends the plastic surrounds really well. We have a black petrol Kona and the grey surrounds are a bit odd.

Guys and Gals,

Many thanks in advance.

I was quoted €750 extra for the dark night grey from one dealer but another said there was no charge for different colours, not sure about the galactic grey. Getting the feeling some dealers are making things up as they go along as they begin to realise the demand.
    I am going to make a decision on Saturday, there is a possibility of an Ioniq as well, myself and the missus are watching Bjorn (yes I spelt that correct) on YouTube. She wants the Ioniq and I am leaning toward that myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

When I ordered in the UK the galactic grey was the free colour.

All other colours were metallic and had a charge of around £595 or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 381 ✭✭sean72

I got a call from my dealer about 3-4 weeks ago telling me he had access to 3 ioniqs (1 black, 1silver and 1 white). I put a deposit down on the black one. It’s interesting that the same story is being ‘told’ around the country. I know they are few and far between but there must be a few coming on stream by the looks of things. I’m just hoping they are as good as everyone says!

Out of interest, how much was your Ioniq on the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 vidukasp

There is the one 2017 Ioniq on done deal. Is the anyone from this forum members selling it?

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-ionic-electric-cheapest-leather-high-spec/19852833

Contact me in private if so.

I put that one up in the bargain alerts on this forum thread this morning. I'd say he won't refuse €23k. At that it is seriously good value and looks like premium SE and all (even though it is white)

I put that one up in the bargain alerts on this forum thread this morning. I'd say he won't refuse €23k. At that it is seriously good value and looks like premium SE and all (even though it is white)

My commute is up to 200km. combined (the half of it is motorway) So I think it would suit me perfectly.

Sure thing! Keep us updated. Did you consider bringing one in from the UK yourself too?

Sure thing! Keep us updated. Did you consider bringing one in from the UK yourself too?

No, I'm talking about the link I have uploaded.

• Advertisement
Advertisement