Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Went to have a quick look at the Kona EV at my local Hyundai dealer last fri morning. White with the light coloured interior. Didn't have time for drive.

I was quite impressed apart from the spec. Seats were very comfortable for me, leg room good in front, adequate in rear. I'm 5' 10" with longish legs, unable to get comfortable in many cars..

The front dash is soft feel material on the top, the premium ICE in the showroom was a hard dark cheap feeling material. The light colour gave a nice airy feel, compared to the petrol one.

Info screen looked pretty miserable, but the electronic dash was brighter and clearer than I expected.

The sales person also intimated that the spec hopefully will be improving later in 2019.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I hope they have learned, I emailed the marketing team for Hyundai Europe directly told them what BS this was . I ate the face off Hyundai Ireland on Facebook . The lower spec took all the goodness out of it and is down right stupid on Hyundai's part. The Kona imho was the car to kickstart the EV revolution even more so than the Tesla..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Looks like Kearys in Cork are doing €5k scrappage on the Kona EV

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/hyundai-kona-electric-2-tone/20679505

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

ELM327 wrote: »

are they being serious 49k? is stat before grants applied or after?!

Would assume that's the price before the two grants (10k total)
    On the TV ads it is also written that Hyundai is covering the residual VRT (approx 1k) so you could deduct 11k from the advertised price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If true, that would put it @ €33K+. That should be interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Thats a sure sign they havent sold them all and they can simply drop €5k from the price and still make a profit.... just shows that it was a f*ck you price from Hyundai.

€34k after grant and after scrappage is a good price and probably what we were hoping for originally.

I'd be upset if I paid €39k and then they offered the next guy €5k off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

KCross wrote: »
    Thats a sure sign they havent sold them all and they can simply drop €5k from the price and still make a profit.... just shows that it was a f*ck you price from Hyundai.

€34k after grant and after scrappage is a good price and probably what we were hoping for originally.

I'd be upset if I paid €39k and then they offered the next guy €5k off!

I have a test drive booked for Saturday

Its 5k scrappage alright

For 33-34k it's a good deal

I do note though that the main Hyundai site still specifically excludes the Kona EV from the scrappage offer.

Maybe they havent updated their website or maybe its a copy/paste error by Kearys?

http://www.hyundai.ie/home/scrap.html
    This offer does not apply to i30N and Kona Electric.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 onlydave

"Scrappage Up to €5,000."

No idea how scrappage works but I presume you'd have to have a relatively decent car to get the full €5k. I was offered €50 for scrapping my 06 skoda fabia... So sold it to a friend for a euro. Waiting on my kona electric hopefully next week. Saw a red 191 kona electric charging in Dundrum yesterday.

I agree with a lot of the comments on getting a bit screwed by the paddy spec and the high price vs other countries. At the same time, the range is just so much better than everything else out there bar a model S or X so had to go for it.

Mike9832 wrote: »

Its 5k scrappage alright

Please do report back on the comparison between your fabia and the kona.

For added credibility may I suggest a photo of the Kona with a sock on the bonnet beside a can of coke?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

For added credibility may I suggest a photo of the Kona with a sock on the bonnet beside a can of coke?

... and a red paper straw...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

33-34k if it had adaptive cruise control. Without that it's not worth it

Haha

Will take some selfie lol

Haha

Will take some selfie lol

Who is doing the test drive? Mike? Thierry? Y2K? :P

• Advertisement

Just note it's a choice of 3.9% Finance or €5K scrappage.
    Lowest car finance market rate is BOI @ 6.8%
    Perhaps any maths wizard would tell me what that differential 3% would cost, lets say over 5 years?

BTW I thought PCP Finance or HP was separate from car price.

Water John wrote: »
    Just note it's a choice of 3.9% Finance or €5K scrappage.
    Lowest car finance market rate is BOI @ 6.8%
    Perhaps any maths wizard would tell me what that differential 3% would cost, lets say over 5 years?

BTW I thought PCP Finance or HP was separate from car price.

The standard was 5.9%, so I guess you do scrappage at 5k and then PCP at standard 5.9%....

Other option is not to trade in and get PCP at reduced rate of 3.9%

Someone would need to do maths to see over the life of car what is better option. It could be better to drop the trade in and do PCP of 3.9%

It is up to 5K so you might not get the full 5k

KBC do cheaper but you need to have account with them

That would drop it to a 2% differential, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

My mother is picking hers up from there in a week or two and the salesman confirmed there's no scrappage, surely that's a mistake.

TheChizler wrote: »
    My mother is picking hers up from there in a week or two and the salesman confirmed there's no scrappage, surely that's a mistake.

Looks like someone did a copy/paste into the ad but forgot that scrappage is not applicable to Kona EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Its 5k scrappage alright

KCross wrote: »
    Looks like someone did a copy/paste into the ad but forgot that scrappage is not applicable to Kona EV.

So which is it?

Thierry you wouldn't be lying would you?

ewj1978 wrote: »
    So which is it?

Thierry you wouldn't be lying would you?

I'll let ye know Saturday

Have test drive then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

I've been told since day 1 it's 5.9%, and PCP wasn't even available let alone scrappage.

If they start handing out scrappage deals like sweets hopefully I can get my bloody deposit back because having someone roll in off the street and pay 5k less for the same car as me is ludicrous :D

I'll let ye know Saturday

Have test drive then

No scrappage sadly

Sales guy rang me back to confirm test drive time

Will still do the test drive

Still PCP as an option is nice to have which definitely wasn't there 2 months ago

Still PCP as an option is nice to have which definitely wasn't there 2 months ago

Yeah interested to see what deal he can offer on pcp

Seemed very keen on the phone, even when he felt me deflated when he said no scrappage

Yeah interested to see what deal he can offer on pcp

Seemed very keen on the phone, even when he felt me deflated when he said no scrappage
    But you couldnt scrap your beloved fabia :p

All joking aside I'd like to see the PCP figures, it was said before that there was no PCP offered on the Kona EV

But you couldnt scrap your beloved fabia :p

All joking aside I'd like to see the PCP figures, it was said before that there was no PCP offered on the Kona EV

I would struggle to scrap my Fabia, over 300k on it and still going strong, be a shame to :(

Interested what gmfv is

http://www.hyundai.ie/home/all-new-kona-electric.html

€37,630
    RETAIL PRICE† (EX. DELIVERY AND RELATED CHARGES)†

€13,171
    CUSTOMER DEPOSIT / PART EXCHANGE

€25,310
    FINANCE AMOUNT

€459
    36 MONTHLY PAYMENTS OF

MONTH TERM

€12,042
    GMFV†† (OPTIONAL FINAL PAYMENT)

€3,331.11
    TOTAL COST OF CREDIT

5.9%
    APR %* (Fixed)

Deposit too high, gfmv too low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Just seen my first one in the wild:).

KK Reg, charging at type 2 New Ross.

Grey, looked good..

There were a lot delivered for first day 191 reg apparently.
    Wonder if the dealers have any for 24hour test drives.
    I know I said never, to the paddy irish crap low spec, but the thought of looking at a range beginning with a 400 is doing a lot to sell this car to me. You'd never have to charge except at home/work! I do 50-60k a year and I could get by on 2-3 charges a week!!

It is strange to enter the EV world in the knowledge that I will probably use a public charge point 3 or 4 times a year unless I drive abroad somewhere

The gmfv doesn't matter. Car will be worth a lot more than it. Refinance with car loan. Best seems BOI @ 6.8%.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

My back of the envelope calculations you save yourself 1000 euro for every 10000km in fuel costs, so you will be up 10-12k in two years , car doesnt seem as expensive now ....

No comparison :)

Kona was class, so much power at all speeds

Even @ 80, it pulls hard, accelerated from 40-120 at one stage and it would have left my Fabia for dead and my Fabia with 180bhp stage 1 hybrid turbo is quick from a roll

No traction issues either in sport mode and accelerating hard, suprised by that being 200bhp and fwd

My Fabia spins like mad from a hard launch, Kona puts the power down very well in comparison, traction control has a come along way I suppose

Its noticeably quicker than Leaf40 too, thought they would be similar as Nissan is 8.8 secs vs Kona 7.8secs

Feels much quicker than a 7.8sec car from a launch

Don't even think my old 300bhp Mazda 3 MPS would beat it to 60, not with me driving anyway :)

Interior was pretty basic, but fine for me, don't need all those fancy things

Price was ridiculous though

No budging on list price of 39k and no scrappage, Ioniq was 26k with scrappage, sales guy reckons a bigger battery Ioniq will be out in the summer but will be over 30k with no scrappage

https://imgur.com/gallery/74i6Nzq

Why didn’t you stick the Skoda beside it and take a pic???

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Why didn’t you stick the Skoda beside it and take a pic???

Skoda needs a good wash :)

Wouldn't want to embarrass her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

The Ioniq with the Kona battery is going to take some beating come the end of the year.

• Advertisement

Batesy wrote: »
    The Ioniq with the Kona battery is going to take some beating come the end of the year.

The Ioniqwill get the 39kWh battery, I doubt they will put in the 64kWh but maybe they will

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭cloughy

I had a look/drive at Kona yesterday and whilst it was nice not totally sold as boot is very small, so wondering what size in comparison will the E Niro be, is boot bigger tha Kona?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

It’s a bit bigger in the Niro.

Decent Niro v Kona comparison review here:

https://youtu.be/XvaQiFRPNd0

Nice road trip here

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/kona-edinburgh-700-miles-hyundais-new-ev-masses

Kona is good for 300km at motorway speed

Car is pretty faultless, but charging network in UK seems to be pretty crap

8 DC chargers used and only 2 working

Life is too short to put up with that bull****

Real networks like Ionity can't come soon enough

Tesla seems an attractive option for that reason alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Silent Running

Nice road trip here

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/features/kona-edinburgh-700-miles-hyundais-new-ev-masses

Kona is good for 300km at motorway speed

Car is pretty faultless, but charging network in UK seems to be pretty crap

8 DC chargers used and only 2 working

Real networks like Ionity can't come soon enough

I can confirm that the UK charging infrastructure is pretty poor, especially CCS for some reason. Ecotricity seems to let their rapids sit faulty for long periods of time, then, after a repair, they only last a few weeks before they're faulty again.

There seems to be a problem of vandalism over there too. Smashed screens and plugs is becoming a bigger problem.

Some good networks are starting to emerge Instavolt, for example.

Ionity don't seem to be going all out in the UK. The number of proposed sites is quite low.

I can't wait for 300kms at motorway speeds though. One charge to do my 514km run to see my daughter. :D

I can confirm that the UK charging infrastructure is pretty poor, especially CCS for some reason. Ecotricity seems to let their rapids sit faulty for long periods of time, then, after a repair, they only last a few weeks before they're faulty again.

There seems to be a problem of vandalism over there too. Smashed screens and plugs is becoming a bigger problem.

Some good networks are starting to emerge Instavolt, for example.

Ionity don't seem to be going all out in the UK. The number of proposed sites is quite low.

I can't wait for 300kms at motorway speeds though. One charge to do my 514km run to see my daughter. :D

It's the units themselves. The vast majority are DBT (the worst) which were made before CCS existed.

Newer ones on EH are being "upgraded" to efacec which are the second worst. ABB or similar would be my preference, it's what they have in Norway with no issues

• Advertisement

Batesy wrote: »
    Even with just the 39kWh battery, but if it's fitted with the 64kWh and with proper spec I'd love that actually.

Assuming they don't ramp down the charging like they did for kona/niro. Keep it at 2.7C like the Ioniq. Perfectly possible on CCS2.

I was paying €85 a month for 3rd party insurance on a 06 Corsa and that's doubled to €197 with the new Kona (fully comprehensive this time) :'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

I was paying €85 a month for 3rd party insurance on a 06 Corsa and that's doubled to €197 with the new Kona (fully comprehensive this time) :'(
    Ouch but you're comparing apples and refrigerators there.

How much was fully comp on the corsa?
    How much is fully comp on a 191 petrol corsa?

You have to compare like with like

The remainder on the fully comprehensive Kona policy is now €555, to get third party insurance on the Kona instead would have been around €445 I think so only €100 extra. I think it was around the same difference of €140 for fully comp on old Corsa.

So basically my original 12 month policy was €950 or ~€812 (fully comp / 3rd party), and if I was to swap it for a Kona 12 month policy today it would be around €2100 or €1990 (fully comp / 3rd party)

• Advertisement
Advertisement