Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

My maths is probably off there, but you get the idea :D

Shop around when it's the time to renew the policy. There are mad differences in different insurance companies. The two cheapest quotes I got for LEAF40 this year were around 430 mark and the highest quote was over 800 for pretty much the same policy, i.e. fully comp, no bonus protection, excess around 250.

Just drove home in the Kona now - bye bye horrible old Corsa. It's going to take a while to get used to heated seats and auto dimming headlights :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Just drove home in the Kona now - bye bye horrible old Corsa. It's going to take a while to get used to heated seats and auto dimming headlights :D

Take a while to get used to the power too or how to use it :)

Thing is rapid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Don’t forget to plug it in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Well wear, you were the target market for the Irish kona, upgrades from older cars. And it's a massive upgrade on an 06 Corsa. Actually you probably have not too dissimilar range in the Kona to the Corsa!! (400km for the Kona and ~600km for the Corsa on some initial googling)

Haha yeah, it was around €60 to fill it from empty to I guess less than €8 now.

Tried granny cable yesterday, took me an embarrassing number of minutes to figure out I had to turn off the car before it would let me pull out the charger when it's not explicitly locked...:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

If you had night rate you could almost half ..... 64*.07 = 4.48

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Tried granny cable yesterday, took me an embarrassing number of minutes to figure out I had to turn off the car before it would let me pull out the charger when it's not explicitly locked...:pac:

Quick hint. Find a local fast charger that is potentially not too busy. Head down some day when you know it wont be(first thing on a Sunday) and spend a few mins getting used to how to use it....

That is what I done, I would imagine the look I would have got if I landed up and then spent 15 mins working out why it wasn't charging and then figured out I had to lock the car before it would kick in :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

Oh, there will be a good few moments like this :)
    We all grew up around and with ICEs, so rarely something gets to surprise you or you haven’t heard off...
    EVs are like a smartphone vs analog dial phone :) Every menu button leads to another and another and another :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Someone on the Irish EV owners association facebook did

Cork to Dublin and back with just 1 X 45 min charge at Junction 14 on the return leg required in their Kona.

Good demonstration of Kona usability imo although I don't know how hard he was driving

Old diesel wrote: »
    Someone on the Irish EV owners association facebook did

Cork to Dublin and back with just 1 X 45 min charge at Junction 14 on the return leg required in their Kona.

Good demonstration of Kona usability imo although I don't know how hard he was driving

Kona has set the standard for sure

No reason why he couldn't drive normal

Kona has been tested by a few to do 300km @ 120

45min charge would give nearly 200km range on our slow public chargers

ELM327 wrote: »
    There were a lot delivered for first day 191 reg apparently.
    Wonder if the dealers have any for 24hour test drives.
    I know I said never, to the paddy irish crap low spec, but the thought of looking at a range beginning with a 400 is doing a lot to sell this car to me. You'd never have to charge except at home/work! I do 50-60k a year and I could get by on 2-3 charges a week!!

What's the paddy spec ? and compared to what ?

Are Hyundai still going for only one option with no choice of options ?

Nice one mate, well wear !:D

279 Kms "highway" , which is what speed ? according to https://ev-database.org/car/1126/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh

Leaf 24 would have had about 90 Kms at motorway whether this differs a lot to "motorway" I don't know. so that's a nice boost if anyone is coming from a leaf 24 Kwh.

Slower speeds fine weather could be anything up to 400 Km.

I would have liked to have seen faster charging than 7 Kw on AC though.

279 Kms "highway" , which is what speed ? according to https://ev-database.org/car/1126/Hyundai-Kona-Electric-64-kWh

Leaf 24 would have had about 90 Kms at motorway whether this differs a lot to "motorway" I don't know. so that's a nice boost if anyone is coming from a leaf 24 Kwh.

Slower speeds fine weather could be anything up to 400 Km.

I would have liked to have seen faster charging than 7 Kw on AC though.

That's 280km at -10c :P

Says Ioniq can only do 135km at temp

We all know that Unkel gets 170km blasting down the M7 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 dubatc2

Hi all,
    Quick question before I contact the dealer, I got a new Kona 64kwh one week ago, I have been enjoying the car despite the downgrade in equipment from the UK model. I have a zappi charger installed at home.
    I have the car plugged in at home, confirmed that the zappi charger is in fast mode, it is sending approx 6.4kwh to the car, green bars on the car charging socket.
    I have checked the EV settings and the charging limits are set to maximum.
    I have the car set to stop charging at 80%.
    The car has 70% power, it shows 6.4kwh input and displays 5hr15min to 80%.
    Changed the capacity to 100% and with 6.4 kwh the time changes to 15:50mins.
    Surely this isn't right, am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the car or zappi? The car is supposed to charge to approx 80% in 9 odd hours.
    Any ideas???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

dubatc2 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Quick question before I contact the dealer, I got a new Kona 64kwh one week ago, I have been enjoying the car despite the downgrade in equipment from the UK model. I have a zappi charger installed at home.
    I have the car plugged in at home, confirmed that the zappi charger is in fast mode, it is sending approx 6.4kwh to the car, green bars on the car charging socket.
    Surely this isn't right, am I doing something wrong or is there a problem with the car or zappi? The car is supposed to charge to approx 80% in 9 odd hours.
    Any ideas???

Getting my zappi next week, but plugged into public charger last night and it told me it would take 10 hours to get to 100%
    I plugged out long before that though.
    Went to fast charger last weekend and took 30 mins to get from around 30% to 80%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

dubatc2 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Any ideas???

Something is definitely wrong.

My guess is its related to the compatibility mode in the Zappi that affects the Ioniq and Kona.

See thread here...
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=108342417

Change that setting on the Zappi and see what figures you get then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭icom

Hyundai Kona Electric: 50-176 kmh GPS Speed vs Indicated Speed (Autobahn)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8t2Ral0bGU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭gar

Had a drive of this today as sister looking at it. Was better than I thought it would be. Spec seems fine to me to be honest. Never had adaptive cruise control so wouldn't be missing it.
    It is cosy in the back. Would be perfect for my sister and don't think I'd be too upset with it.

Nice acceleration and nice drive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

icom wrote: »
    Hyundai Kona Electric: 50-176 kmh GPS Speed vs Indicated Speed (Autobahn)

That's interesting. Top speed same as Ioniq (the only EVs with higher top speed than the Hyundais are the Teslas :D) but the the difference between indicated and GPS speed seems to be 4-5km/h no matter what the speed

In Ioniq the speedo over reads by 4km/h up to about 100km/h then 5km/h up to about 160km/h and 6km/h over that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,907 ✭✭✭daheff

Anybody actually take delivery of one of these yet?

If so, are you happy with what you got?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

On its way, week or two. I take the Leaf 30 and OH gets the Kona(White). We'll become a 2 EV family.
    Anyone want a Mazda 3, 2011 diesel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

daheff wrote: »

Yep, love it!
    Lovely to drive, range is accurate, will pay for itself over an ICE car.

• Advertisement

daheff wrote:

Since Monday, very happy :D Ignoring the Tesla unicorns, it has got to be the best EV available in Ireland right now. Brilliant to drive and the range basically makes you forget you are driving something that needs fuelling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

daheff wrote: »

Coming from a 12 year old 2.2 Turbo Diesel Automatic with 150BHP, moving to this car has been an enormous jump in technology, performance, efficiency etc..

I had fully researched & knew all about the spec differences between Ireland Vs UK before I bought it & wasn't bothered personally ;(but obviously I don't condone how Hyundai Ireland decided on the single spec here - I would have preferred the same options as other countries for any car not just this one); due to the many upgrades it still presented over my old car.

It's got a small boot (compared to my previous car 7 seater Santa Fe), there is no spare wheel, there is not a lot of room in the back (but its fine for me as we've just one child & no longer need the bigger car we had). My wife can sit comfortably in the back - she's 5' 4". If the interior dimensions meet your needs - its an incredible car.

The torque at any speed in the car is amazing (I'm no boy racer by any means & had never driven an EV before this one - apart from a short test drive of it).

If you want, you can you literally just launch like a roller coaster from stop start (or even from something like 80KMPH starting speed). I've had no issues with spinning the wheels (like you'll see many YouTube Videos showing). Just drive it sensibly - you can still launch very fast without needing to totally floor the accelerator & causing the wheels to spin. Yes - you can spin the wheels IF you floor the accelerator in Sport/Comfort (Haven't tried Eco Mode at all yet). Just saying this as I'm amazed at how big a deal some reviewers seem to make of spinning the wheels. This is a small FWD car with 201BHP, so its not unnatural to expect the wheels to spin when you handle the accelerator hard in one movement, particularly stop start etc..

Its been funny where I've been coming from an 80KMPH road onto a 120KMPH road. I've had all manner of bigger, prestigious cars sitting behind me & starting to overtake me before we even reach the 120KMPH zone. As soon as I reach that sign permitting 120KMPH (& road/weather condition permitting etc..), with no cars in front of me, I've literally launched & just watched the other cars disappear into the distance in my rear view. No going back from this type of drivetrain.

Its great coming onto a roundabout knowing I have all the power I need to pull out & safely enter without needing to wait for any engine rev build / pulling power to kick in.

Its fantastic ascending hills & again leaves most everything else way behind with no fall off in power / throttle response / torque as I climb up hills - especially on motorways.

You will love to drive this car if you're coming from an older ICE car (just presume existing EV drivers would be used to their own impressive Electric Drivetrain already) - I've found it very comfortable & responsive. Incredible drive train. Just great to be able to drive an EV just like an ICE, not any speed limitations to conserve battery/range or unnecessary concern about range or needing to rely on public charging.

I've driven 600+ KMs in just over 10 days & it always makes me smile when driving!

I've been able to drive it with one pedal using Regen Level 3, in Comfort Mode in built up areas, stop start traffic etc.. Hardly need to use the brakes (but do cover them when stopped) - its a different type of driving & you have to get used to it, but you can save many KMs in energy usage. EG, I recently drove a physical 36KM Route, maybe 20KMs at 100KMPH on M50 & the other 16KMs speeds between 50KMPH-80KMPH. The actual range taken from the battery was 32KM, so I had put 4KM range back into the battery whilst driving. I wasn't actively trying to do this & just drove normally (but using the One Pedal style with the Regen on Level 3 etc..). I'd be sure I could have been more economical still, if I'd been actively trying & been more careful with speed & in Eco Mode. Its a very efficient car.

If mainly motorway driving at full 120KMPH, with Regen Set to Level 0 in Comfort Mode, with Heater on 22 degrees Auto Mode & Music Streaming from a Charging Phone over Bluetooth, with all Lights on, you'll probably see a range of about 300-350KMs, based on my own motorway driving with a fully loaded car, in dry weather, with no significant wind at 7/8 Degrees outside temp etc..

Where it wouldn't make sense to purchase possibly would be:

If you already have a fairly new car with a high spec (this may be a downgrade in spec for some items in that case).

or

If you already have an EV - the Kona is expensive for what it is - it is a smallish car, so if you can hang in there another 1 to 2 years with your existing EV, you may find a better range of EV cars to potentially purchase from (increasing competition hopefully making better pricing / options / specs for buyers etc..).

If you're in no rush to get a Kona - consider the Kia e-Niro coming out later in the year too. Its a bigger car internally (more rear passenger room) & much bigger boot. Pretty much the same drivetrain, so I'd be sure it'll still be impressive, even if the actual drive feels a bit different (or not quite as sporty potentially due to the e-Niros extra weight, dimensions etc..).

I've zero regrets having bought the Kona, love it to bits so far & its met/exceeded my expectations. If you can afford it without over stretching your budget, if its size, internal dimensions & boot capacity meet your needs, you'll more than likely love it.

I have a Zappi installed as my home charger & its been working perfectly (tested charging the car with electric shower running at same time etc..).

Hope this helps a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭Batesy

Fair play for taking the time to post such a detailed 1st impression.

Enjoy!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

bonoman66 wrote: »
    I've been able to drive it with one pedal using Regen Level 3, in Comfort Mode in built up areas, stop start traffic etc.. Hardly need to use the brakes (but do cover them when stopped) - its a different type of driving & you have to get used to it, but you can save many KMs in energy usage.
    How are you finding flipping up and down the regen paddles? I was with my mother on the test drive and it looked terribly complicated, but I'm confident the salesman was instructing her incorrectly. He was saying that if regen was enabled then it is enabled even when you're accelerating, so the regen is taking power from the wheels to charge the battery when you're accelerating so you should always paddle down to zero when you're not allowing down. I didn't bother to point out how wrong and nonsensical this had to be so didn't get a sense of how it would work when being used properly.

Yes, that's nonsense. Low regen setting on motorways, higher regen on hilly country and urban driving.

• Advertisement

TheChizler wrote: »
    How are you finding flipping up and down the regen paddles? I was with my mother on the test drive and it looked terribly complicated, but I'm confident the salesman was instructing her incorrectly. He was saying that if regen was enabled then it is enabled even when you're accelerating, so the regen is taking power from the wheels to charge the battery when you're accelerating so you should always paddle down to zero when you're not allowing down. I didn't bother to point out how wrong and nonsensical this had to be so didn't get a sense of how it would work when being used properly.

It's very easy actually, just a new way or style of driving. I got used to it very quickly once I saw how the car reacted in each of the different Regen Modes.

I'm no expert and only have my Kona Electric for 10 days but here's my explanation (others may do a far better job :-)).

There are 4 Levels of Regen (Regenerative Breaking) - where energy is reclaimed back into the car's battery, thus adding driving range back into your car even as you are using/driving it.

Level 0 Regen provides the least resistance as you drive. If you have Level 0 Regen set & lift your foot off / take your foot off the accelerator, the car will feel like its continuing to move along fast & freely, like its coasting.

On the Motorway or a long stretch of flat road (where there is not heavy or close bumper to bumper traffic), you'd set the Regen to Level 0 (its like the car almost coasting along freely with little resistance when you take your foot off the accelerator). You don't have to push the accelerator hard or a lot, meaning you don't use up unnecessary amounts of your battery capacity/charge to travel along. There is typically not a lot of opportunity for Regen (reclaiming of power back into the battery) on any of the prolonged flat / long sections of road / motorway, but by being in Regen Level 0, you don't use power necessarily to move along or don't have to be hard on the accelerator to move quickly along & to maintain high speed etc...

If you subsequently encounter downhill sections on that long stretch of flat road / motorway, you can very easily / quickly pull the left Regen Paddle 1 or 2 times to move from Regen Level 0 to Regen Level 1 or 2.

Regen Level 1 and 2 are just additional levels of Regenerative Breaking that are stronger in effect than the Level 0 Regen. So if you, pull that left Regen Paddle 1 or 2 times (1 time will take you from Regen Level 0 to Regen Level 1, 2 times will take you from Regen Level 0 to Regen Level 2) & take/lift your foot off the accelerator, the car will start to slow down (like you are slightly pressing the brake), you'll feel it & at that point, there is some charge being put back into the battery on that section of the road. When you reach the bottom of that hill & are on the flat again, just pull the Right Regen Paddle 1 or 2 times again, to go back to Regen Level 0 from whatever Regen you had been on - Regen 1 or 2.

Regen Level 3 is the strongest Level of Regenerative Breaking. The car slows down very quickly/rapidly when you lift / take your foot off the accelerator when this Level is set. You would typically use this in heavy / close bumper to bumper traffic. If offers you great control of the car, so you can quickly slow down without hitting the actual brake & lots of opportunity to reclaim charge back into the battery for this type of driving. If you want / need to come to a complete stop without hitting the brakes (obviously you can always use the actual brakes at any stage on any regen level if you want / have to etc..), just hold the Left Regen Paddle & the car will come to a complete stop. This is the way I drive in heavy traffic. I do cover the brakes/brake pedal when I come to a stop as a safety measure (you can set the car to use 'Auto Hold' too, but I just never bother with that or LKAS or Driver Fatigue Warning).

Whole system is very easy - don't in any way be put off or be told its in any way complicated.

Hope this helps you.

Coming from a 12 year old 2.2 Turbo Diesel Automatic with 150BHP, moving to this car has been an enormous jump in technology, performance, efficiency etc..

It's acceleration from 40km/h to 120km/h is it's party trick alright, it just goes, great fun

This is only the start

I can't imagine what hot hatches like Focus RS EV, Golf GTI EV etc will be like if a little efficient Kona can blow away a good small diesel

Just to add - the whole 'One Pedal Driving' - its a combination of using the appropriate the Regen Level, which you can quickly/easily set & change dynamically on the fly as/if you need to & then in conjunction, pressing & coming off (not even necessarily fully coming off) the accelerator (& if complete stop needed (full pull on that Left Regen Paddle).

Absolutely no hassle to do at all - you'll instinctively be doing it & actually enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

It's very easy actually, just a new way or style of driving. I got used to it very quickly once I saw how the car reacted in each of the different Regen Modes.

I'm no expert and only have my Kona Electric for 10 days but here's my explanation (others may do a far better job :-)).

There are 4 Levels of Regen (Regenerative Breaking) - where energy is reclaimed back into the car's battery, thus adding driving range back into your car even as you are using/driving it.

Level 0 Regen provides the least resistance as you drive. If you have Level 0 Regen set & lift your foot off / take your foot off the accelerator, the car will feel like its continuing to move along fast & freely, like its coasting.

On the Motorway or a long stretch of flat road (where there is not heavy or close bumper to bumper traffic), you'd set the Regen to Level 0 (its like the car almost coasting along freely with little resistance when you take your foot off the accelerator). You don't have to push the accelerator hard or a lot, meaning you don't use up unnecessary amounts of your battery capacity/charge to travel along. There is typically not a lot of opportunity for Regen (reclaiming of power back into the battery) on any of the prolonged flat / long sections of road / motorway, but by being in Regen Level 0, you don't use power necessarily to move along or don't have to be hard on the accelerator to move quickly along & to maintain high speed etc...

If you subsequently encounter downhill sections on that long stretch of flat road / motorway, you can very easily / quickly pull the left Regen Paddle 1 or 2 times to move from Regen Level 0 to Regen Level 1 or 2.

Regen Level 1 and 2 are just additional levels of Regenerative Breaking that are stronger in effect than the Level 0 Regen. So if you, pull that left Regen Paddle 1 or 2 times (1 time will take you from Regen Level 0 to Regen Level 1, 2 times will take you from Regen Level 0 to Regen Level 2) & take/lift your foot off the accelerator, the car will start to slow down (like you are slightly pressing the brake), you'll feel it & at that point, there is some charge being put back into the battery on that section of the road. When you reach the bottom of that hill & are on the flat again, just pull the Right Regen Paddle 1 or 2 times again, to go back to Regen Level 0 from whatever Regen you had been on - Regen 1 or 2.

Regen Level 3 is the strongest Level of Regenerative Breaking. The car slows down very quickly/rapidly when you lift / take your foot off the accelerator when this Level is set. You would typically use this in heavy / close bumper to bumper traffic. If offers you great control of the car, so you can quickly slow down without hitting the actual brake & lots of opportunity to reclaim charge back into the battery for this type of driving. If you want / need to come to a complete stop without hitting the brakes (obviously you can always use the actual brakes at any stage on any regen level if you want / have to etc..), just hold the Left Regen Paddle & the car will come to a complete stop. This is the way I drive in heavy traffic. I do cover the brakes/brake pedal when I come to a stop as a safety measure (you can set the car to use 'Auto Hold' too, but I just never bother with that or LKAS or Driver Fatigue Warning).

Whole system is very easy - don't in any way be put off or be told its in any way complicated.

Hope this helps you.

Was reading somewhere about Auto Regen on the Kona which I presume our version does not have ? I think uses the front radar system.

eagerv wrote: »
    Was reading somewhere about Auto Regen on the Kona which I presume our version does not have ? I think uses the front radar system.

Correct - because we got the Kona without the Radar Unit, we lost that Auto Regen.

That was really the only thing I was sort of genuinely disappointed about (didn't really care about the Smart Cruise Control, Krell Audio System, HUD, LFA or Ventilated Seats etc..)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

Correct - because we got the Kona without the Radar Unit, we lost that Auto Regen.

That was really the only thing I was sort of genuinely disappointed about (didn't really care about the Smart Cruise Control, Krell Audio System, HUD, LFA or Ventilated Seats etc..)

Yep agree, also the LED lights for me.

I suppose the thing with Regen is not to use it wherever possible unless you have to slow up eg going down a steep hill or in traffic. Unless the laws of Physics have changed since I was at school:).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Does anyone reckon the spec issue may change this/next year (192/201)?

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

guys who had EVs for a while might answer this better for future to be Kona EV and Niro EV owners:

since there is regenerative power utilised using paddle shifters that can slow down car to near full stop what would be the use of normal break pedal? and since break pedal is rarely used would there not be any chance of seizing breaking mechanisms?

Thanks for the comprehensive response!

Presumably you could set to level 2 with cruise control on and the regen would limit your speed on downhill seconds?
    Regen Level 3 is the strongest Level of Regenerative Breaking. The car slows down very quickly/rapidly when you lift / take your foot off the accelerator when this Level is set. You would typically use this in heavy / close bumper to bumper traffic. If offers you great control of the car, so you can quickly slow down without hitting the actual brake & lots of opportunity to reclaim charge back into the battery for this type of driving. If you want / need to come to a complete stop without hitting the brakes
    Presumably the brake lights come on when you do this? :D

One will still occasionally use the brakes, don't think there is any risk of seizing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭80sDiesel

Just to add - the whole 'One Pedal Driving' - its a combination of using the appropriate the Regen Level, which you can quickly/easily set & change dynamically on the fly as/if you need to & then in conjunction, pressing & coming off (not even necessarily fully coming off) the accelerator (& if complete stop needed (full pull on that Left Regen Paddle).

Absolutely no hassle to do at all - you'll instinctively be doing it & actually enjoy it.

Can you easily forget which Regen setting you have it on with the result that you were 'surprised' at some point that the car wasn't slowing down when you're expected it too?

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things which he can afford to let alone.

Water John wrote: »
    One will still occasionally use the brakes, don't think there is any risk of seizing.

Absolutely - I'd agree with that & would not be concerned at this stage about brakes seizing.

80sDiesel wrote: »
    Can you easily forget which Regen setting you have it on with the result that you were 'surprised' at some point that the car wasn't slowing down when you're expected it too?

I guess you could forget but in reality if you do, it just takes a quick glance to visually see what the current setting is as its displayed right there in front of you in the middle of the main instrument cluster at the bottom etc..

Not really a problem & its so easy & quick to both get used to & change in realtime if you need to.

You get a physical feel for how the car is moving / slowing (if I was blind folded (not that I'd drive blindfolded - just giving an example etc.) at this stage & lifted my foot / took my foot off the accelerator, I think I could easily recognize the more extreme Regen Levels eg if the car was on Regen 0 Vs Regen 3). I could probably recognize the more subtle differences between Regen 0 & 1 or between 2 & 3 with more time driving the car etc..

So I wouldn't say forgetting what Regen you are on would really be any sort of problem - you'll almost just know by the experience / feel driving after a while & a quick glance in front on the main cluster will tell you.

TheChizler wrote: »
    Thanks for the comprehensive response!

Presumably you could set to level 2 with cruise control on and the regen would limit your speed on downhill seconds?

I've not really tried / experimented or recorded any data with Cruise Control On & interacting with the Regen Levels so I'm sorry I can't definitively answer this part of your question.

Presumably the brake lights come on when you do this? :D

I believe they do - I'm sure I've noticed the Red reflection of my brake lights when in heavy traffic using Regen Level 3 & when holding the Left Regen Paddle to come to a complete stop. (It may also have happened when I tested Regen Level2 but I can't remember as I mostly have used Regen Level 3 in built up traffic situations)

I know Nigel, from the YouTube EVPuzzle Channel, did these very tests fairly recently - here's his results:

dmcg90 wrote: »

Great question & I cannot answer it with any form of certainty. I'll give you my '2 cents' for what its worth though..;)

I don't know how well the Irish spec Kona Electric is selling for Hyundai Ireland but it seems to be selling for them. (The dealer I bought mine off - I've personally seen 9 different Kona EVs come/go on their forecourts since last October. Not saying they all sold & I don't live near the garage but it just seemed like there was a lot of interest in it for that dealer).

Hyundai Ireland were confident enough to be able to raise the advertised selling/list price by approx €1600 Euros between October & December 2018. I placed my order in October & saw its priced subsequently increased by that amount not long after. They also increased the price in the UK.

I don't know why Hyundai did this but presumably, they are so confident in the sales figures / demand for the car that they felt they could get away with charging more for the same car etc..

I guess if the demand for the existing spec Kona Electric is sufficient in Ireland & Hyundai are selling them relatively easily & meeting or exceeding whatever internal sales targets they have, then I wouldn't see why they would bother changing anything with regards to the spec (maybe they will though).

However, I would expect them to review the current Ireland spec with a view to potentially changing it (adding missing items) if:

Its actually not selling well in Ireland for them & they are having difficulty meeting expected sales targets.

Competition Increases in the Irish Market - As other Electric Cars come onto the Irish market that have the same range & are within the same price bracket as the Kona Electric, I'd expect Hyundai Ireland to be watching what specs the other cars have versus their current Kona Electric specs.

Hyundai Ireland can continue to get way with only bothering to provide a one spec Ireland Kona Electric that is a lower/different spec than what is available in other countries, as there is limited / no choice for an EV with that range in that price bracket currently in Ireland.

Whether Hyundai Ireland care / or want it to - That will all change (for the better for the car buyer), once more electric cars are available & Hyundai Ireland actually have to compete for real in the segment/range/price point. (just like they currently have to with their ICE ranges).

Sorry I can't say for sure - I could be totally wrong & they could provide new options or change the spec from next week but I wouldn't have thought they would..

Hope that helps..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Very helpful insight! Thank you!

dmcg90 wrote: »

Great question & I cannot answer it with any form of certainty. I'll give you my '2 cents' for what its worth though..;)

I don't know how well the Irish spec Kona Electric is selling for Hyundai Ireland but it seems to be selling for them. (The dealer I bought mine off - I've personally seen 9 different Kona EVs come/go on their forecourts since last October. Not saying they all sold & I don't live near the garage but it just seemed like there was a lot of interest in it for that dealer).

Hyundai Ireland were confident enough to be able to raise the advertised selling/list price by approx €1600 Euros between October & December 2018. I placed my order in October & saw its priced subsequently increased by that amount not long after. They also increased the price in the UK.

I don't know why Hyundai did this but presumably, they are so confident in the sales figures / demand for the car that they felt they could get away with charging more for the same car etc..

I guess if the demand for the existing spec Kona Electric is sufficient in Ireland & Hyundai are selling them relatively easily & meeting or exceeding whatever internal sales targets they have, then I wouldn't see why they would bother changing anything with regards to the spec (maybe they will though).

However, I would expect them to review the current Ireland spec with a view to potentially changing it (adding missing items) if:

Its actually not selling well in Ireland for them & they are having difficulty meeting expected sales targets.

Competition Increases in the Irish Market - As other Electric Cars come onto the Irish market that have the same range & are within the same price bracket as the Kona Electric, I'd expect Hyundai Ireland to be watching what specs the other cars have versus their current Kona Electric specs.

Hyundai Ireland can continue to get way with only bothering to provide a one spec Ireland Kona Electric that is a lower/different spec than what is available in other countries, as there is limited / no choice for an EV with that range in that price bracket currently in Ireland.

Whether Hyundai Ireland care / or want it to - That will all change (for the better for the car buyer), once more electric cars are available & Hyundai Ireland actually have to compete for real in the segment/range/price point. (just like they currently have to with their ICE ranges).

Sorry I can't say for sure - I could be totally wrong & they could provide new options or change the spec from next week but I wouldn't have thought they would..

Hope that helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭obriendj

Hi everyone,

I picked up my Kona EV last week and loving it so far.

Its a great upgrade from my old Mazda but I cant fault it.

I was wondering if anyone would recommend a 3-pin to type-2 plug / adapter. I half expected to get one with the car but never thought of it until i took out my cable.

One thing that did throw me was turning off cruise control. I had set the Regen to 3 and when I disengaged the Cruise using the sterling control, the brakes kicked in immediately and i felt a wobble. So would recommend setting the Regen to 1 or off when using cruise.

Something to get used to i suppose.

obriendj wrote: »
    I was wondering if anyone would recommend a 3-pin to type-2 plug / adapter. I half expected to get one with the car but never thought of it until i took out my cable.
    Salesman told us it came with it, I'll have to double check it's there when we go to pick it up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Hi everyone,

I picked up my Kona EV last week and loving it so far.

Its a great upgrade from my old Mazda but I cant fault it.

One thing that did throw me was turning off cruise control. I had set the Regen to 3 and when I disengaged the Cruise using the sterling control, the brakes kicked in immediately and i felt a wobble. So would recommend setting the Regen to 1 or off when using cruise.

That's the granny cable and should have come with the car.
    Back on to the dealer ASAP!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I would have expected that cable to be there. Maybe check with the dealer that someone didnt take it out by mistake.

Its not a simple cheap adaptor. Its likely to cost you hundreds to buy one so I'd be getting confirmation from the dealer and other owners before you consider buying anything.

Yea, you need to put your foot on the accelerator BEFORE you disengage cruise control or, as you said, reduce the regen level first.

Advertisement