Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

Yup i did :o
    So €7K VAT of which the grant covers 5K so you'll be clamming €2k if my thinking is right ?
    I think VRT is calculated inc VAT [if so maybe the grant is taken into account there]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,474 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Stealthirl wrote: »
    Yup i did :o
    So €7K VAT of which the grant covers 5K so you'll be clamming €2k if my thinking is right ?
    I think VRT is calculated inc VAT [if so maybe the grant is taken into account there]
    The VRT relief and SEAI grant are long gone at this point unfortunately. The only question is how much VAT we have effectively paid in Revenue's eyes: is the SEAI grant seen as money paid to the buyer after they pay the garage a larger VAT inclusive sum, or is it a payment to the garage that doesn't have a VAT component. Might be no harm running a query past Revenue actually.

Yes VRT is 14% of the OMSP which nominally includes VAT. I can't remember how much we qualify for in the DD1 scheme. If it's more than €7K I'll have to revisit this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭DesperateDan

zg3409 wrote:
    Yes this is the car copying/ mimicking automatic petrol cars. It is called creep. The feature can be disabled by pressing the auto hold button. This makes it "put on the handbrake" automatically any time stopped using foot brake, so you need to press accelerator to start moving again. This is more natural for people used to manual cars with a gear stick, but on the ioniq you need to press it every trip, which is annoying, otherwise you need to hold in the brake pedal at traffic lights, which annoys me. I assume same for kona. It would be great if more features were customisable in the menu.

I feel like it is a safety feature making you turn it on manually. Often when you are just starting the car you are doing more delicate manoeuvres and I have noticed with auto hold on / no creep there's a noticeable slight 'jump' in the wheels as auto hold turns off when you reverse (not really in drive).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭ewj1978

Was in Kearys in Cork yesterday. They had 5! Kona's in the lot outside and another 1 in the showroom and another with 191 plates.
    You can't get these for love nor money in the UK but they have atleast 6,if not more, in Cork.

• Moderators Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

ewj1978 wrote: »
    Was in Kearys in Cork yesterday. They had 5! Kona's in the lot outside and another 1 in the showroom and another with 191 plates.
    You can't get these for love nor money in the UK but they have atleast 6,if not more, in Cork.

article-2137688-12DA8688000005DC-968_224x423.jpg
    These aren't the specs you're looking for

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

I had my Kona on the open motorway (i.e. not M50!) a couple of days ago and decided to test it out at 120 km/h.
    I didn't stay at that speed for long though, because my range was decreasing by 1km for every 500m travelled!
    When I dropped to 100km/h it was more like 1km range for every 0.8/0.9km travelled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

spakman wrote: »
    I had my Kona on the open motorway (i.e. not M50!) a couple of days ago and decided to test it out at 120 km/h.
    I didn't stay at that speed for long though, because my range was decreasing by 1km for every 500m travelled!
    When I dropped to 100km/h it was more like 1km range for every 0.8/0.9km travelled.

Range on the Kona is based on a GOM, and not a static conversion.
    So if you had done a lot of motorway driving before this, the range estimate would be better. It's thesame in Ioniq.

I prefer the tesla method of a constant rated range , which is multiplying the available kWh by the preset wh/km.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

I think an ev is the only thing for you , with a 160km daily commute you must be doing the guts of 40000 km per year. You would save about
    4000 euro on diesel/petrol using my back of the envelope calculations , about 1000 euro for each 10000 km, thats not even including maintenance .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

311 Kona EVs sold in January.

It outsold both the petrol and diesel Kona which is remarkable for a number of reasons.

1) the initial cost for a buyer is much higher then entry level petrol Kona.

2) Kona is a car with full on mainstream petrol and diesel options - yet 46 percent of people going for Kona are specifically choosing electric. A sign of change because going 38 k on a Kona EV requires the buyer to be keen to step into EV.

3) An EV variant of a mainstream car outselling it's diesel and petrol counterparts is unprecedented and a landmark moment in Irish motoring.

4) points 2) and 3) have been achieved inspite of Specgate which anedotally has lost sales for Kona.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Old diesel wrote: »

It outsold both the petrol and diesel Kona which is remarkable for a number of reasons.

2) Kona is a car with full on mainstream petrol and diesel options - yet 46 percent of people going for Kona are specifically choosing electric. A sign of change because going 38 k on a Kona EV requires the buyer to be keen to step into EV.

3) An EV variant of a mainstream car outselling it's diesel and petrol counterparts is unprecedented and a landmark moment in Irish motoring.

4) points 2) and 3) have been achieved inspite of Specgate which anedotally has lost sales for Kona.
    That's fantastic news for the market, hopefully it shows Hyundai that they can be a bit more aggressive with their offerings for EVs in Ireland. I'm personally still waiting for the higher-spec model, the eNiro or the Model 3 (based on pricing) so if Hyundai came out with the higher-spec model, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger if I'm honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭dmcg90

That's fantastic news for the market, hopefully it shows Hyundai that they can be a bit more aggressive with their offerings for EVs in Ireland. I'm personally still waiting for the higher-spec model, the eNiro or the Model 3 (based on pricing) so if Hyundai came out with the higher-spec model, I'd be tempted to pull the trigger if I'm honest.

Kona would not let me switch into Drive mode today without restarting it, had been sitting covered in ice / snow for 2 days. Thought it was interesting what might cause it I wonder.

Someone on the 191 thread in the main motors forum was alluding to the possibility that the 311 "sales" could have been Hyundai putting cars into the dealers as "demos" - or pre registering.

I think the way the Kona EV outsold it's petrol and diesel counterparts makes this less likely.

But worth noting as a potential health warning

Someone on the 191 thread in the main motors forum was alluding to the possibility that the 311 "sales" could have been Hyundai putting cars into the dealers as "demos" - or pre registering.

I think the way the Kona EV outsold it's petrol and diesel counterparts makes this less likely.

But worth noting as a potential health warning
    Wouldn't surprise me! On the radio today with their ad "... And the Hyundai Kona electric, Ireland best selling electric vehicle".

Nice tag line to have

Tried scheduled charging today for the first time and it didn't work so I'm a little stranded right now :(

I set the off peak time from 23:00 to 12:00, checked off-peak tariffs prioritised, set next departure time for 6AM today and plugged in at 6PM last night. After plugging in it said it was waiting for the scheduled time to charge so I thought it was all good.

Am I missing something stupid? In which case I must need to do something to the Garo...

https://youtu.be/st-PLdP7Ydg
    I am thinking perhaps it wildly underestimated how long it needed to charge with a bug related to this video. Checking Garo it seems the WiFi model has some related scheduling features but I doubt they apply to my non-WiFi model.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

Tried scheduled charging today for the first time and it didn't work so I'm a little stranded right now :(

I set the off peak time from 23:00 to 12:00, checked off-peak tariffs prioritised, set next departure time for 6AM today and plugged in at 6PM last night. After plugging in it said it was waiting for the scheduled time to charge so I thought it was all good.

Am I missing something stupid? In which case I must need to do something to the Garo...

https://youtu.be/st-PLdP7Ydg
    I am thinking perhaps it wildly underestimated how long it needed to charge with a bug related to this video. Checking Garo it seems the WiFi model has some related scheduling features but I doubt they apply to my non-WiFi model.

I recently set a scheduled charge too & it worked fine for me.

Don't see anything wrong in your methodology but here's what I did (pretty much the same as you but just going through it in case it helps in any way)..

I do have a Zappi Charger though but still wanted to share the info.

1. My Zappi is set to Fast Mode.

2. I have disabled compatibility mode in my Zappi (In the advanced settings menu).

3. I have no other timer settings made on the Zappi side etc..

4. On the Infotainment Unit/EV Settings on Kona I have:

Battery Charge Limit set to 100%

Charging Current Set to the Highest Setting (Can't remember exact setting terminology as I'm not near the car now to check - maybe Maximum).

Scheduled Departure Set to 8:30 AM with each day (all 7 days) ticked for the Repeat Setting.

I have no target Temperature Settings selected.

Off Peak Time Settings are set as 11:00 PM (Start Time) and 8:00 AM (End Time).

I have 'Off Peak Tariffs Only' Selected (I know you have them set to Prioritized - I'll try that Prioritized setting too when I need to charge again next time).

5. I switch off the Kona.

6. I connect my Zappi cable to the Kona Charge Port at the front.

7. Lock the Kona.

8. I have my Zappi 'PIN Protected' so I have to enter my 5 digit PIN on the Zappi (or nothing happens at the car side - no charging indicators light on the Kona Charge Port etc..).

9. Once I enter my PIN on the Zappi, immediately I hear a click on the Zappi as it initiates a charging handshake with the Kona. On the Zappi it says waiting on EV. Then says charging delayed shortly after that.

10. There is an Orange Timer Symbol Indicator Light that lights up near the Right Side of the Charging Port on the Kona.

11. The Green Light around the Kona Charge Port flashes Green.

12. After approx 3 Minutes all the lights turn off (No Orange Timer Symbol lit and no Flashing Green Charge Port Light lit).

13. Came out next morning & all was as expected. Car charged to 92% (but if I'd set Off Peak Prioritized Mode - rather then Off Peak Only, I suspect it would have charged further etc..)

14. Checked Zappi Charger display & it confirmed how many kWh had been sent to the Kona etc.

Hope this helps..

• Registered Users Posts: 15 onlydave

Is it common to get this issue with the 43kw chargers? (Stillorgan Luas and Talbot Hotel)

COMBO: 0x0022 - PEV incoherent pilot state at cable check

Managed a charge at the Talbot hotel CCS once and no problems with the CCS charger at Tesco Metro near Sallynoggin.

The Stillorgan Luas CCS charger never works for more than a few minutes. Once it charged for 6 minutes but at 23kw (presumably because it was 0 degrees) then it climbed to 41kw and stopped.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

onlydave wrote: »
    Is it common to get this issue with the 43kw chargers? (Stillorgan Luas and Talbot Hotel)

Managed a charge at the Talbot hotel CCS once and no problems with the CCS charger at Tesco Metro near Sallynoggin.

The Stillorgan Luas CCS charger never works for more than a few minutes. Once it charged for 6 minutes but at 23kw (presumably because it was 0 degrees) then it climbed to 41kw and stopped.

Those are the same model that Ecotricity/Electric Highway in the UK. They are known to have problems with the Kona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

A guy selling his (still undelivered) Kona Premium SE for £35k.

Kona For Sale

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Haven't noticed this review posted here yet...no Sat Nav!!!

• Advertisement

slave1 wrote: »
    Haven't noticed this review posted here yet...no Sat Nav!!!

I guess apple airplay and android auto can cover that?

No heated mirrors is pretty bad imo, as are the halogen front beams.
    No active cruise control is a slight bummer I guess too.

I noticed it being a bit compact in the front when I sat in it today. Back was ok, so I probably could of moved the seat back. Oddly, I noticed there is a hump in the middle of the back floor for the non existent drive shaft. :confused:

Thanks bonoman, so the main difference is your off peak finishing hour is before your leave time whereas mine was after, and you used off peak hours only instead of prioritising.

When I got back today I set off peak hours from 9pm to 8am, prioritise off peak and plugged in at 8pm. It started charging straight away (even though it wasn't really supposed to start until 9pm). Its calculating it needs 8 hours 40 mins to fully charge so maybe there is some funkiness with prioritising and if I left it 20 mins it would have stopped itself or something.

Then left it set to off-peak only and it was reading as scheduled to charge, I go out at 9.01 and it's not charging. Will do a few more tests over the days to see if I can get some predicable behaviour out of it.
    I noticed it being a bit compact in the front when I sat in it today. Back was ok, so I probably could of moved the seat back. Oddly, I noticed there is a hump in the middle of the back floor for the non existent drive shaft. :confused:

There's battery stuff down there now :D

• Subscribers Posts: 3,702 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

I was in a Kona EV today in Germany was been used as an Uber car.
    What a horrible cheap interior car could not stand to be in that every day.
    Plastic everywhere and cheap feeling at that as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭spakman

I just use the zappi timer to schedule it rather than the kona's timer - mainly so that I dont need to remember to switch it off in the car if i need to use a public charger.
    If you have a night meter, set eSense to Boost, and mode to Eco+ and it will only charge when night rates apply i.e. 23:00 - 08:00 at the moment.

TCP/IP wrote: »

Kona money is in range not interior it seems, light plastic, no sat nav or heated mirrors to keep costs down so it can compete, if you want the better interiors then Tesla or Jag and you’ll pay well for it.
    Plastic would not be a deal breaker for me but boot space is.
    I do like that driver only air con feature mind

Kona money is in range not interior it seems, light plastic, no sat nav or heated mirrors to keep costs down so it can compete, if you want the better interiors then Tesla or Jag and you’ll pay well for it.
    Plastic would not be a deal breaker for me but boot space is.
    I do like that driver only air con feature mind
    This is for Irish spec only, the premium se cars outside of Ireland (eg Norway, UK) will have both.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 pma

I know its no big deal but the Kona has heated mirrors, they are activated with the rear windscreen heater.

They have both of those in non paddy spec Irish ones. You can buy them up north with both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

spakman wrote: »
    I just use the zappi timer to schedule it rather than the kona's timer - mainly so that I dont need to remember to switch it off in the car if i need to use a public charger.
    If you have a night meter, set eSense to Boost, and mode to Eco+ and it will only charge when night rates apply i.e. 23:00 - 08:00 at the moment.

Thanks spakman.

I haven't played around with the timer on the Zappi side yet, so your post was good info to read.

Its something (timer on the Zappi side) that I'd planned to take a look at testing but hadn't done it yet myself - good to know.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Standard hyundai interior......you have sat into a Hyundai before?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Standard hyundai interior......you have sat into a Hyundai before?

I do often feel that people are surprised that a Korean Econobox has an economical interior.

LOL, you call guts of €50 before grants a Econobox

LOL, you call guts of €50 before grants a Econobox

You can price it wherever you want. The fact remains it is built to a budget. And thus is an econobox.

Said as an Ioniq driver, a similar econobox!

ELM327 wrote: »
    You can price it wherever you want. The fact remains it is built to a budget. And thus is an econobox.

Said as an Ioniq driver, a similar econobox!

Using that mentality every car is a econobox. Look at what Peugeot has done with their 3008 interior it’s a totally nicer place to be. I am not going to compare it to the two big German manufacturers. It amazes that people can live with the interior but I suppose different strokes for different folks.

Using that mentality every car is a econobox. Look at what Peugeot has done with their 3008 interior it’s a totally nicer place to be. I am not going to compare it to the two big German manufacturers. It amazes that people can live with the interior but I suppose different strokes for different folks.
    No. A VW golf is a premium segment. A Nissan Pulsar is an economy segment car, and a dacia is an econobox.

Not every car is an econobox. Just budget ones with the budget feel.

No. A VW golf is a premium segment. A Nissan Pulsar is an economy segment car, and a dacia is an econobox.

Not every car is an econobox. Just budget ones with the budget feel.

Wrong all cars are built to a budget simple business logic. Different budgets yes but budgets none the less.

Wrong all cars are built to a budget simple business logic. Different budgets yes but budgets none the less.
    Well done on missing the point. It was pretty clear, even illustrated by examples. But if you wish to stick to semantics then so be it.

Well done on missing the point. It was pretty clear, even illustrated by examples. But if you wish to stick to semantics then so be it.

No I will just stick to facts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭turbbo

Didn't know that it was a thing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Econobox

Reading that is seems the label doesn't really make much sense anymore - like most labels they are fairly short-lived.

• Advertisement

Surely the less heated anything in an electric car at the moment could be seen as a good thing! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 onlydave

liamog wrote: »
    Those are the same model that Ecotricity/Electric Highway in the UK. They are known to have problems with the Kona.

Got a reply from ESB about it

"The Hyundai Kona Electric is new to the market and has higher charging abilities than previous electric vehicles that use CCS. Our engineers are working with the charge point manufacturer on the issue that you are experiencing and we will update you when we have more information. Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Presume that means they need replacing, potentially. Can't see that happening any time soon

turbbo wrote: »
    Surely the less heated anything in an electric car at the moment could be seen as a good thing! :-)

Not at all, with the absence of an engine it makes perfect sense to have everything controlled remotely so the more you can have ready before you get into the car then the better, comfort factor in an EV is a never-go-back scenario

Got a reply from ESB about it

"The Hyundai Kona Electric is new to the market and has higher charging abilities than previous electric vehicles that use CCS. Our engineers are working with the charge point manufacturer on the issue that you are experiencing and we will update you when we have more information. Apologies for any inconvenience caused."

Presume that means they need replacing, potentially. Can't see that happening any time soon

Considering it charges slower to, or at the same as, the Ioniq, for more of the curve, that is blatantly untrue.
    ECars haven't a clue

Considering it charges slower to, or at the same as, the Ioniq, for more of the curve, that is blatantly untrue.
    ECars haven't a clue

In the Uk some have suggested that the issue is that Kona will seek the max power from the machine immediately and the old DBTs can't handle it.

The Kona is effectively telling the machine - give me all you've got immediately.

The newer rapids can handle the set up better.

Not at all, with the absence of an engine it makes perfect sense to have everything controlled remotely so the more you can have ready before you get into the car then the better, comfort factor in an EV is a never-go-back scenario

Lol you'll be charging it again soon so with all the "comforts".:D

• Advertisement

In the Uk some have suggested that the issue is that Kona will seek the max power from the machine immediately and the old DBTs can't handle it.

The Kona is effectively telling the machine - give me all you've got immediately.

The newer rapids can handle the set up better.

I've read that too.
    And if you read back to when Ioniq came out in the UK, there was the same problem. I suspect all Hyundai/KIA EVs do the same thing and they just added a quick software hack to whitelist all Ioniqs, rather than properly fixing the issue last time.

I've read that too.
    And if you read back to when Ioniq came out in the UK, there was the same problem. I suspect all Hyundai/KIA EVs do the same thing and they just added a quick software hack to whitelist all Ioniqs, rather than properly fixing the issue last time.

Theres a slight dilemma here in that while the DBTs in question are crap.

Nonetheless if an eGolf can work the charger - so should the Kona. So perhaps Hyundai should look at their software to be more tolerant.

Id like to see how the likes of an Audi etron handles the DBT.

DBT are crap, agree 100%.

eGolf is a much lower charging speed, it has a lower nominal voltage.
    The issue only occurs with cars that have a peak charging speed faster than the charger allows. (EG Ioniq and Kona can charge at 70kW)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nonetheless if an eGolf can work the charger - so should the Kona. So perhaps Hyundai should look at their software to be more tolerant.

I'd say thats unfair to Hyundai. As far as I can see its the rapid thats crapping out, not the car.

The car just tells the rapid what it can take and the rapid cant handle it. It should just say, "oh you want 70kW, here's 50kW"... instead it goes "you want what!!... boom"

Thats the software in the rapid that's at fault.

DBT are crap, agree 100%.

eGolf is a much lower charging speed, it has a lower nominal voltage.
    The issue only occurs with cars that have a peak charging speed faster than the charger allows. (EG Ioniq and Kona can charge at 70kW)

I agree on the link to having higher charge speed then charger allows.

Hence why I also say I'd like to see how the Etron handles the DBT

• Advertisement
Advertisement