Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

LOl wtf was that. ?

I wasn't comparing the Clio, Zoe to the Kona.....you dipstick !

Thanks for your well researched reply.

Very much appreciated. I see you stand by your comments earlier which make as much sense as what you said.

If your going to come out with such nonsense that here is no market for an suv of this size in the ev form then at least bother backing it up.

listermint wrote: »
    Thanks for your well researched reply.

Very much appreciated. I see you stand by your comments earlier which make as much sense as what you said.

If your going to come out with such nonsense that here is no market for an suv of this size in the ev form then at least bother backing it up.

You obviously know about nonsense considering your last few posts ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

You obviously know about nonsense considering your last few posts ;)

Ok so you didn't say there was very little appetite for this car .

I'm glad we cleared that up considering we have it there in text format.

Embarrassing stuff. And the slagging well done on that front top marks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

So.... How about that new Kona EV then eh? :)

If I can get from Dublin to Galway at around 110kph on the motorway with no stops then I'll be very tempted.

listermint wrote: »
    Ok so you didn't say there was very little appetite for this car .

I'm glad we cleared that up considering we have it there in text format.

Embarrassing stuff. And the slagging well done on that front top marks

Past your bed time , Mammy should take that phone from you ! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

Miscreant wrote: »

If I can get from Dublin to Galway at around 110kph on the motorway with no stops then I'll be very tempted.

was really interested in them, but decided to try to pull the trigger in Ioniq import instead for the following reasons....
    1.) Availability - Optimistically it will be July at the earliest, and more likely later
    2.) Size - it would appear that the ioniq is bigger in the back and has a bigger boot (I have a scatter of kids)
    3.) Cost - I think is will cost north of €35k and can't see any offers or trade ins.

So based on that the Ioniq for 8 or 10 thousand less is for me, the better buy. however I can see the Kona sell themselves, these little cross over thingies seem to be all the rage for the fashion conscious motorist that is 15 or 20 years younger than me and only has 0 or 1 or 2 kids

Miscreant wrote: »

That won't be a problem, I fell a few kms short of city to city in the i3 33 kwh before the rex kicks in, the BEV could probably do it all the way as it gets to use the last 6% charge, the Rex holds it. I tried in the Demo i3 last July at about 110 Kph.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

2.) Size - it would appear that the ioniq is bigger in the back and has a bigger boot (I have a scatter of kids)

I agree on the boot, the Kona is similar width but not at all deep.

However I sat in both today and I definitely didn't find the Kona smaller in the back. I sat in the driver's seat and adjusted for myself (I'm 5'11") and then got into the driver's side back seat and was fine for leg room.

Also in the Ioniq my head was touching the roof when I sat in the back. Nowhere near in the Kona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

DrPhilG wrote: »

Also in the Ioniq my head was touching the roof when I sat in the back. Nowhere near in the Kona.

very true, but I've no intention of sitting in the back :D In reality 90+% of the time it will be just me in it. If the family are going anywhere together will need the 7 seater anyways...

Ninja Edit: Exception to that would be bringing kids to Camogie, soccer, football, dance etc etc and they are all female and shorter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »

Same. Legroom was fine though. And I doubt any of my 3 girls will reach the 6'2 that I am though :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 369 ✭✭thelikelylad

Interesting article on Green Car Reports - Link

They sat down with some Hyundai folk, including a Senior Engineer for their EV powertrains.

Interesting points:

- Charges at 200A (80kW peak) vs 175A in the Ioniq
    - 160kW / 215 hp motor (intial press release was 150kW)
    - Liquid cooling vs Air cooling in the Ioniq
    - Independant rear suspension vs Torsion setup in Ioniq

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭thierry14

Interesting article on Green Car Reports - Link

They sat down with some Hyundai folk, including a Senior Engineer for their EV powertrains.

Interesting points:

- Charges at 200A (80kW peak) vs 175A in the Ioniq
    - 160kW / 215 hp motor (intial press release was 150kW)
    - Liquid cooling vs Air cooling in the Ioniq

LG must be building the drive trains then?

As Leaf ePlus also has 215bhp motor and 64kWh battery

215bhp in a Kona will be mighty quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

What will the main effect of that be? Smoother ride?

Also interesting that that report call it the 2019 Kona! Does that mean that the talk of it arriving here in the summer is BS? Or maybe its the long range version is 2019?

KCross wrote: »

Better handling. In Ioniq it's the other way around, the EV has the rear torsion beam and the hybrid has the fully independent (multi link) rear suspension

But it's much of a muchness. Some of the best handling FWD cars have a rear torsion beam setup, like RenaultSport Clio and Civic Type R
    Also interesting that that report call it the 2019 Kona! Does that mean that the talk of it arriving here in the summer is BS?

It's a US thing. 2019 Kona means MY2019 (Model Year), this usually means cars that are actually available sometime in 2018

Also interesting that that report call it the 2019 Kona! Does that mean that the talk of it arriving here in the summer is BS? Or maybe its the long range version is 2019?

Better ride and handling yeah. My only minor complaint I have about the Ioniq is the handling so any improvement there would be good.

US article - Not supposed to arrive into dealerships there until the end of the year I believe. Also the US are only getting the long range version.

Also the US are only getting the long range version.

Didn't know that. That's consistent with my suspicion that Hyundai have a very aggressive strategy and want to dominate the sub-Tesla EV market in the USA. Have to give it to them, that's a clever strategy. Detroit won't be able to keep up and the Bolt will come out far worse than Kona on pretty much every point.

Hyundai destroying the US car industry like Nissan / Toyota / Mazda did in the 70s and 80s?

unkel wrote: »
    Didn't know that. That's consistent with my suspicion that Hyundai have a very aggressive strategy and want to dominate the sub-Tesla EV market in the USA. Have to give it to them, that's a clever strategy. Detroit won't be able to keep up and the Bolt will come out far worse than Kona on pretty much every point.

Hyundai destroying the US car industry like Nissan / Toyota / Mazda did in the 70s and 80s?

Not with the LG Kona they won't

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

If I can drive from Donegal to Cork on one charge,  at a cost of 4.48 euro ( 64 * 0.07c night rate ) sign me up .  Mind you that would be a waste of good electricity driving to Cork :devil: :devil: ( Had to say that , being from Donegal )

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

It's going to break your bank, you should probably add an extra 50c for charging losses :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

flyer, fecking BIL is from Donegal. Don't want him getting down here. He'd only come, if it was cheap. It isn't you?

No am not BIL , DglFlyer is the handle, Dgl for Donegal of course, Flyer as I used to fly helicopters back in the day

With the 64kwh batter it will be a piece of cake

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Dglflyer wrote: »
    No am not BIL , DglFlyer is the handle, Dgl for Donegal of course, Flyer as I used to fly helicopters back in the day
    BIL = Brother In Law. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Is this a family reunion thread now :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x50iCzOaYj4

Performance looks impressive.

Looks a great car, hopefully my first EV, whenever...:)

• Advertisement

Thats an interesting video if its a Kona... hard to tell for sure. He says he's an employee.... would you risk your job for a public YouTube leak?!!?

~8secs to 100km/h according to the video.
    The range shows 350km and its not even fully charged and they've obviously been hooning around in it in the car park! :)

eagerv wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x50iCzOaYj4

Performance looks impressive.

Looks a great car, hopefully my first EV, whenever...:)

Nice find! It's a Kona alright.

Just downloaded the video to have a look at the numbers, like a nerd :p I cut the video to the exact frame he floors the pedal.

From what I can see:

100km/h in under 7.5s

98km/h in 7.4s
    103km/h in 8s
    111km/h in 9s
    130km/h in 12s

Interestingly if you look at the power meter it took just over 3.5 seconds (54km/h on the speedo) to ramp up to full power. I wonder is this to help with grip? IIRC in the Ioniq you can floor it in Sports mode to get full power almost immediately, hence the occasional wheel spin from standstill.

Also in the comments the guy claims that an app is in development but won't be available at launch.

Really hope they release an app, such a shame the Ioniq doesn't have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭JackieChan

Thats an interesting video if its a Kona... hard to tell for sure. He says he's an employee.... would you risk your job for a public YouTube leak?!!?

~8secs to 100km/h according to the video.
    The range shows 350km and its not even fully charged and they've obviously been hooning around in it in the car park! :)

If you google his name it returns
    Aki Kaukola(Hyundai Product Manager) and based in Finland. Not sure if that's true but there you go!

JackieChan wrote: »
    If you google his name it returns
    Aki Kaukola(Hyundai Product Manager) and based in Finland. Not sure if that's true but there you go!

Yeah you're right. His YT channel has a few other Hyundai videos and then back further some Mazda videos, where he worked before Hyundai. :)

• Advertisement

Nice find! It's a Kona alright.

Just downloaded the video to have a look at the numbers, like a nerd :p I cut the video to the exact frame he floors the pedal.

From what I can see:

100km/h in under 7.5s

98km/h in 7.4s
    103km/h in 8s
    111km/h in 9s
    130km/h in 12s

Interestingly if you look at the power meter it took just over 3.5 seconds (54km/h on the speedo) to ramp up to full power. I wonder is this to help with grip? IIRC in the Ioniq you can floor it in Sports mode to get full power almost immediately, hence the occasional wheel spin from standstill.

80 - 120 is the real measure

Nearly all EVs are good at 0 - 50

80 - 120 is the acceleration past a truck or bus, that Sunday driver holding up 5 cars

Kona does 80 - 120 in 4 secs flat

Thats impressive

My old 260bhp Mazda 3 Mps could barely beat that with 3.5 secs and that car was quick

That Kona is amazingly quicker than a Civic Type R FN2 and BMW 325D F30 between 80 - 120

http://www.zeperfs.com/duel6016-1595.htm

40 - 140 Kona did it in 12 secs

325D manages it in 12 secs also

Civic Type R in 10.7 secs

Kona is a nice little sleeper :)

thierry14 wrote: »
    80 - 120 is the real measure

Nearly all EVs are good at 0 - 50

80 - 120 is the acceleration past a truck or bus, that Sunday driver holding up 5 cars

Kona does 80 - 120 in 4 secs flat
    thierry14 wrote: »
    40 - 140 Kona did it in 12 secs

Just looking at the footage again in the video editor there.

80 - 120 in 4.8s
    40 - 140 in 11.2s

Looking forward to taking one for a spin. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it is an electric motor and so has the even torque characteristics on one, amazingly.

That's Kona EV alright. I'd say the grip wasn't ideal. Otherwise he would have recorded a better time in my expectation. I have the same issue in Ioniq. In perfect conditions it can do 0-60 in just over 8s (https://www.zeroto60times.com/) but if the road surface isn't bone dry, you don't get that. Kona has a lot more power than Ioniq.

unkel wrote: »
    That's Kona EV alright. I'd say the grip wasn't ideal. Otherwise he would have recorded a better time in my expectation. I have the same issue in Ioniq. In perfect conditions it can do 0-60 in just over 8s (https://www.zeroto60times.com/) but if the road surface isn't bone dry, you don't get that. Kona has a lot more power than Ioniq.

There is something strange going on at the start with the power or maybe it's by design for traction. Or unless the driver didn't floor the pedal, sounds like they did though.

It takes 3.5 seconds (until 54km/h on the speedo) to ramp up to full power. Need to double check in the Ioniq but I'm pretty sure in Sports mode there's no(minimal) lag when you floor the pedal, unless traction control kicks in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,563 ✭✭✭eagerv

What's the beep at about 5sec? And green warning goes to white.

Something to do with traction control?

FWD has it's limitations pity it wasn't RWD, be interesting to test it all the same. I'd imagine wet grip , pulling out at junctions and flooring it at roundabouts will be a pain in the arse.

eagerv wrote: »
    What's the beep at about 5sec? And green warning goes to white.

Something to do with traction control?

The beep was Lane departure warning. The symbol that changed from white to green to white is for Lane keeping assist. So they probably just crossed a lane coming onto the motorway.

Another good feature coming in the Kona EV is the ability to set a charge limit.

Similiar to how Tesla have the slider to charge for 'daily' driving or 'trip' driving. Wish the Ioniq had this.

That's handy alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Another good feature coming in the Kona EV is the ability to set a charge

Similiar to how Tesla have the slider to charge for 'daily' driving or 'trip' driving. Wish the Ioniq had this.

That’s a feature on the eGolf, the fancy deckers with 2017 model all set to charge to 80% for daily use.....I wouldn’t risk it with 2015

What you can do is set it up so during the day so it will charge to 50% in case you need to go out, then at night kick in and fully charge

Useful feature but I don’t use

In the i3 I have to fiddle with the off peak timer to get it to stop charging when I want. All it's interested in is charging to 100%.

Just looking at the footage again in the video editor there.

80 - 120 in 4.8s
    40 - 140 in 11.2s

Looking forward to taking one for a spin. :D

40 - 140 is very impressive, that is quick

All in all its a bit weird though, 0-40 looks traction/power limited in that video and it dies past 140

Flat out 0 - 160 of 18s is a bit meh for a 200bhp car

I thought 200 electric > 200 ICE?

Its about as quick as a good 2.0tdi like a 320D all in

http://fastestlaps.com/models/bmw-320d-f30-facelift-190-ps

I will need a Model 3 or similar 0 - 160 12s for my performance kicks

I know I'm being unfair on the Kona, don't get me wrong here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Another little video, from US perspective.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQ4opp_3ivk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

I liked the look and range of this car.

However, after seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiRC7lFMvo&t=5m30s

The rear leg room and boot space in this car looks terrible.

I liked the look and range of this car.

However, after seeing this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFiRC7lFMvo&t=5m30s

The rear leg room and boot space in this car looks terrible.

A bit unfair, I think. He must be well over 6ft and built accordingly. The front seat looked like it was back to the last so a big adult in the front with a big adult directly behind.

If you are built like him and you are planning to put adults in the back then yea, its not the car for you, but it is a CUV after all, not an SUV.

I suspect if you are average size and you have young children then the Kona EV will be fine for legroom.... I will be testing for exactly that, once its available here.

Boot looks bad alright though! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 827 ✭✭✭Round Cable

A bit unfair, I think. He must be well over 6ft and built accordingly. The front seat looked like it was back to the last so a big adult in the front with a big adult directly behind.

If you are built like him and you are planning to put adults in the back then yea, its not the car for you, but it is a CUV after all, not an SUV.

I suspect if you are average size and you have young children then the Kona EV will be fine for legroom.... I will be testing for exactly that, once its available here.

Boot looks bad alright though! :(

Indeed I'll hold off final judgment until seeing it in the flesh.

I'm not tall, so it might suit alright.

Years in a Nissan Note spoils you in the back.

https://www.autowereld.nl/hyundai/kona/ev-premium-64kwh-pre-order-nu-4-bijtelling-27439817/details.html

My heart sank when I saw this one, pre-orders in the Netherlands 50k for the long range version

I have seen previous estimates , does anyone have any better insight as to what the Irish Price will be

Dglflyer wrote: »
    https://www.autowereld.nl/hyundai/kona/ev-premium-64kwh-pre-order-nu-4-bijtelling-27439817/details.html

My heart sank when I saw this one, pre-orders in the Netherlands 50k for the long range version

I have seen previous estimates , does anyone have any better insight as to what the Irish Price will be

That would be disappointing but the ad does say
    "Price in the advertisement is an indicative price. In May 2018, the definitive sales price recommendation will be announced."

And hopefully thats also a pre-grant price. Still, it doesnt look like €35k after grant would be likely based on that.

Anyone know how car prices in Netherlands compare to their equivalent here?

• Advertisement

Its still a big gap to close no matter what way you cut it ...

I have seen the previous estimates based on the Korean prices , i can only hope that this is what is relevant to Ireland

Advertisement