Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Hyundai Kona EV pre orders open

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Do people think the small battery would be capable of doing 200km at motorway speeds?

Body shape of Kona would have much bigger impact on range with motorway speeds than in an Ioniq.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

Hyundai dealer in Limerick tells me that he was told he would get a Kona EV in Oct/Nov time frame , for sale in 2019 , like others I was hoping they would be available sooner . Any car that can take you from Cork City to Donegal town for less than 5 euro ( 64 * 0.07c night time rate ) and without having to stop to charge will send shockwaves through the car industry here I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Y2K86

Dglflyer wrote: »
    Hyundai dealer in Limerick tells me that he was told he would get a Kona EV in Oct/Nov time frame , for sale in 2019 , like others I was hoping they would be available sooner . Any car that can take you from Cork City to Donegal town for less than 5 euro ( 64 * 0.07c night time rate ) and without having to stop to charge will send shockwaves through the car industry here I think

Cost of ownership should be unrivalled

Wonder what they will be worth after 5 years and say 150k km when warranty is up

New price €35,000, worth €13,000 after 5 years?

€84 a week depreciation over 5 years, with basically no running cost other than that depreciation

Road tax 120, servicing and electric usage even on 30k km barely worth talking about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 793 ✭✭✭metricspaces

liamog wrote: »
    Changed the efficiency consumption figures to match the Korean range figures.
    Added the 39kWh assuming a €2,500 discount and the 1.0 Premium model.

And added the 30,000km for KCross and 24,000km because it's what I did in our Ioniq last year.

Model | Kona Electric 64kWh | Kona 1.6 T-GDI | Kona Electric 39kWh | Kona 1.0 T-GDI
    Fuel Capacity (units) | 64 | 50 | 39 | 50
    Fuel Consumption (units/100km) | 15.8 | 6.7 | 15.4 | 5.3
    Range | 405.06 | 746.27 | 253.25 | 943.40
    Engine Power (kW) | 150 | 130 | 99 | 88
    Torque (Nm) | 395 | 265 | 395 | 172
    Price | €35,000.00 | €30,000.00 | €32,500.00 | €26,000.00
    Fuel Cost (per unit) | €0.07 | €1.35 | €0.07 | €1.35
    Fuelling Efficency | 90% | 100% | 90% | 100%
    Cost per 100km | €1.23 | €9.04 | €1.20 | €7.15
    Tax per year | €120.00 | €390.00 | €120.00 | €270.00
    Cost per year (17000km + Tax) | €328.91 | €1,926.51 | €323.62 | €1,485.45
    Cost per year (24000km + Tax) | €414.93 | €2,559.19 | €407.47 | €1,985.93
    Cost per year (30000km + Tax) | €488.67 | €3,101.49 | €479.33 | €2,414.91

Nice comparison. One other aspect to consider is depreciation. If 64kwh deprecates at €1k more a year than the 1.0L then it'll actually cost you more to go electric if you drive 17k km a year. I would imagine at the moment this scenario is quite likely.

For those who drive over 30k km a year it seems like a safer bet to go electric as your car would need to depreciate over 2k euro more a year than the 1.0L, or 3k euro for the 1.6L.

It seems to get really big savings you need to wait for the purchase price and depreciation values of electric come in line with non-electric cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭Soarer

So is €35k for the 64kWh version just a number people have made up, or is it official?

'Cause that makes it the same price as the SVE 40kWh Leaf.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Soarer wrote: »
    So is €35k for the 64kWh version just a number people have made up, or is it official?

'Cause that makes it the same price as the SVE 40kWh Leaf.

€35k is a predicted price based on the Korean prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

€35k is a predicted price based on the Korean prices.

Hopefully cheaper :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,136 ✭✭✭✭KCross

Nice comparison. One other aspect to consider is depreciation. If 64kwh deprecates at €1k more a year than the 1.0L then it'll actually cost you more to go electric if you drive 17k km a year. I would imagine at the moment this scenario is quite likely.

For those who drive over 30k km a year it seems like a safer bet to go electric as your car would need to depreciate over 2k euro more a year than the 1.0L, or 3k euro for the 1.6L.

It seems to get really big savings you need to wait for the purchase price and depreciation values of electric come in line with non-electric cars.

I would say thats unlikely actually based on how EV prices are currently behaving.

If the Kona EV lives up to expectations it will be very desirable and hence depreciation will be less particularly since the volume of them is likely to be modest. Ref: Ioniq.

KCross wrote: »
    I would say thats unlikely actually based on how EV prices are currently behaving.

If the Kona EV lives up to expectations it will be very desirable and hence depreciation will be less particularly since the volume of them is likely to be modest. Ref: Ioniq.

I guess the point is no one knows if depreciation will be as bad with this EV compared to previous EVs on the market, or if the EV of this particular model will depreciate quicker than the diesel. It would be sensible to take depreciation into the equation when comparing costs.

Considering the savings for someone doing 17k km are relatively small, I would say you couldn't have a high level of confidence you'd make a saving.

As an emerging market the car may not be that desirable in 3 years time when all the big players are up to speed and the market is a bit more mature.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 8,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

Depreciation of cars is hard to predict. Especially EVs.
    We can generalise and say that average people will save €1,000 a year when buying an EV instead of an ICE, €1,500 for toll users.
    If people who buy a second hand car keep it for an average of 4 years, purchasing a suitable EV will save them €4,000 or €6,000.

The supply of second hand / cheap EVs is not available, so if anything I see depreciation being less for EVs. Personally I'd be happy to pay an extra €3,000 for a second hand car that saved me €4,000. We kept our last car for 8 years, so the savings there would be €3,000 for €8,000. That's a pretty good return on investment.

• Advertisement

Depreciation of cars is hard to predict. Especially EVs.

I agree. That's what I said is previous post.

There's no clear evidence that you'd save money over 3 years buying this EV. Figures are too close between EV and ICE, and no one knows if depreciation of EV over next 3 years will improve.
    We can generalise and say that average people will save €1,000 a year when buying an EV instead of an ICE, €1,500 for toll users.

We don't need to generalise. Just look at the figures laid on in the table for identical cars. The savings for EV are marginal, when you add depreciation into the equation you couldn't say with any high level of confidence that you'd see that saving in reality after 3 years.

The supply of second hand / cheap EVs is not available, so if anything I see depreciation being less for EVs.

If this were the case the anyone who bought a brand new EV say 3 years ago would have seen less depreciation for similarly priced ICE...which I don't believe is the case.

I guess the point is no one knows if depreciation will be as bad with this EV compared to previous EVs on the market, or if the EV of this particular model will depreciate quicker than the diesel.

What you say above assumes that EV's have had bad depreciation in the past. I think initially that was the case but hasnt been the case in the last few years as they get more known and popular.

In the last 12 months they have actually appreciated due to lack of supply.

It would be sensible to take depreciation into the equation when comparing costs.

It would, but as you said above no one knows. Its a guess, so how do you take depreciation into account then?

Based on the EV market at the moment its more likely that the EV would depreciate less. If the govt do anything with diesel excise duty, VRT rates, motor tax rates etc in the next 5yrs it could cause depreciation on ICE to accelerate but again its all guessing so how do you put it into your calculations.... you cant really.

Considering the savings for someone doing 17k km are relatively small, I would say you couldn't have a high level of confidence you'd make a saving.

Thats true.
    Low mileage users will be taking a bit of a gamble if their only concern is saving money. There are many other reasons to go EV though so they will need to take the whole picture into account.

As an emerging market the car may not be that desirable in 3 years time when all the big players are up to speed and the market is a bit more mature.

At 64kWh of usable capacity it will take you almost anywhere in the country. As long as they price it right this will be a hard car to beat. The big players are several years away from releasing anything so I wouldnt have that worry about this Kona EV in 3yrs time (VW ID range, Tesla Model 3, 60kWh Leaf are 2020+).... the price is the unknown that could kill it.

At 64kWh of usable capacity it will take you almost anywhere in the country. As long as they price it right this will be a hard car to beat.

Agree the 64kWh seems like a game changer and you would hope has less chance of depreciating badly as people won't have range anxiety with it.

Trying to weigh up the options myself. The i3 Rex seems appealing to me as I don't need long range apart from a few times a year. Vast majority of my driving is 110km round trip commute (free charging in work, for now). Anytime I do long distance I'd usually stop halfway so that would be ok for charging.

A 2016 i3 rex will have taken a good chunk of it's depeciation already so over next 3 years it might be a good bet.

We don't need to generalise. Just look at the figures laid on in the table for identical cars. The savings for EV are marginal, when you add depreciation into the equation you couldn't say with any high level of confidence that you'd see that saving in reality after 3 years

Outside of depreciation the savings are a definite so we can generalise. Depreciation is a function of the future value.

Do you think that a car with running cost savings of €10,000 over ten years will depreciate more or less than a vehicle that costs €5,000 less up front? It's a bet I'm willing to take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

Agree the 64kWh seems like a game changer and you would hope has less chance of depreciating badly as people won't have range anxiety with it.

Trying to weigh up the options myself. The i3 Rex seems appealing to me as I don't need long range apart from a few times a year. Vast majority of my driving is 110km round trip commute (free charging in work, for now). Anytime I do long distance I'd usually stop halfway so that would be ok for charging.

A 2016 i3 rex will have taken a good chunk of it's depeciation already so over next 3 years it might be a good bet.

Were the 94ah i3s out in 2016 or were they 17 reg?

[
    Outside of depreciation the savings are a definite so we can generalise. Depreciation is a function of the future value.

Do you think that a car with running cost savings of €10,000 over ten years will depreciate more or less than a vehicle that costs €5,000 less up front? It's a bet I'm willing to take.

The key point is that due to EVs being an emerging market and changing so rapidly you simply cannot predict with any high level of confidence that you'll make a saving with this EV when the savings without depreciation in comparison to ICE are a slim margin.

The figures from that table are most likely the upper limit of the savings you'll make. You may make them, you may not. No one knows.

It's a common theme you see with solar power too "go with our product and save X thousand a year", based on figures from a partial analysis that suits a certain viewpoint.

Trying to predict three years ahead is one thing, but ten years into the future is really not much value at this point with EVs.

Were the 94ah i3s out in 2016 or were they 17 reg?

Definitely a few from 2016 available. See https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201709189410133

If this were the case the anyone who bought a brand new EV say 3 years ago would have seen less depreciation for similarly priced ICE...which I don't believe is the case.

It kind of is true

Ioniq hasn't depreciated at all, 26k new and very hard to get used ones for under 22k

e-Golf residuals have been very strong too

As have all Teslas

Even Leafs are holding up, hard to get 2 year old 30kWh for under 18k

Only one that hasn't held up is the BMW i3, they can lose 50% rrp in 2 years

Ridiculously over priced new is the main reason I think and maybe that stingy 2 year warranty too

The key point is that due to EVs being an emerging market and changing so rapidly you simply cannot predict with any high level of confidence that you'll make a saving with this EV when the savings without depreciation in comparison to ICE are a slim margin.

The figures from that table are most likely the upper limit of the savings you'll make. You may make them, you may not. No one knows.

It's a common theme you see with solar power too "go with our product and save X thousand a year", based on figures from a partial analysis that suits a certain viewpoint.

Trying to predict three years ahead is one thing, but ten years into the future is really not much value at this point with EVs.

EVs will depreciate much less, that can be taken as fact now

You'll never be able to buy an EV for 500e, like you can buy a 15 year old Audi

Batteries will always be worth something and it doesn't have an over complicated mess of an engine with hundreds of parts, if an electric motor goes a new one is relatively cheap

• Advertisement

Y2K86 wrote: »
    EVs will depreciate much less, that can be taken as fact now

There's no real fact to base that on. It's simply a guess.

It's a rapidly changing market (in comparison to ICE) where supply of 2nd hand EV is currently low because uptake is low, let's see how the market is in three years when all the big players are putting out much greater numbers of more advanced cars and bringing down price to get market share.

The government "plans" to have 25% of all cars on the road to be electric by 2030. Leaving aside they haven't been accurate with these expectations so far in relation to EV, it's fair to say there will be greater demand in the market for some time for used ICE as opposed to EV, considering that vast majority of the market will be driving an ICE for at least the next 12 years and beyond.

It's a rapidly changing market (in comparison to ICE) where supply of 2nd hand EV is currently low because uptake is low, let's see how the market is in three years when all the big players are putting out much greater numbers of more advanced cars and bringing down price to get market share.

There is nothing to suggest the above. There will be new models, but supply will still be extremely limited.

grogi wrote: »
    There is nothing to suggest the above. There will be new models, but supply will still be extremely limited.

It's equally as likely that like many products at the beginning of the product adoption curve that consumers will not find earlier versions desirable as the market is evolving so rapidly. So as supply increases and the consumer has newer and better versions to chose from the earlier version don't hold their value strongly.

No one has facts about how the current crop of EVs will fair in terms of depreciation over the next three years. It's a guess either way. Which is why that table of figures a few posts back should be taken as the upper limit on potential savings - you may get those savings, you equally may not if depreciation is poor.

The government "plans" to have 25% of all cars on the road to be electric by 2030. Leaving aside they haven't been accurate with these expectations so far in relation to EV, it's fair to say there will be greater demand in the market for some time for used ICE as opposed to EV, considering that vast majority of the market will be driving an ICE for at least the next 12 years and beyond.

Its pretty safe to assume a 10 year old 64kWh battery will be worth more than 1k ( cost of a 10 year old petrol Honda )

Ev's will have a base value as batteries will be expensive for a long time, history proves that on batteries

Y2K86 wrote: »
    Its pretty safe to assume a 10 year old 64kWh battery will be worth more than 1k ( cost of a 10 year old petrol Honda )

Ev's will have a base value as batteries will be expensive for a long time, history proves that on batteries

In three years time someone who is selling their three year old EV Kona will be selling a car not a battery. It's not possible to determine now if their EV will have deprecated quicker than the similar ICE Kona.

History also shows that products at the beginning of the product adoption curve do not hold their value strongly.

Genuinely I hope those savings from the table a few posts back are achieved with the Kona EV, but really it's a partial picture if depreciation is not considered. So it's wait and see I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

I wonder how soon the UK will get their Kona stock. They were a month ahead of the game with the Leaf.

I live a mile from the border so I might contact Hyundai in Derry and make enquiries.

• Advertisement

DrPhilG wrote: »
    I wonder how soon the UK will get their Kona stock. They were a month ahead of the game with the Leaf.

I live a mile from the border so I might contact Hyundai in Derry and make enquiries.

Would be interesting, they normally get a lot quicker but I do suspect the Irish dealers seem to be quick to get the demo's.....

Actually getting one you can drive might be longer here than UK

Assuming both cars depreciate to zero after 10 years and have equal servicing costs.

Buy a 64kWh Kona for €35,000 and do 17,000km per year. the ten year, total cost is €38,289.10. The 1.6TDI, €49,265.10.
    Your getting a car with higher power, and higher torque for less money when you look at TCO.

It's incorrect to say that savings are marginal, the running costs are 1/5 per year of the comparable car.

This sounds like the next progression of the EVs are powered by Coal argument, you now want to include a magical number for depreciation to remove potential savings, so deliberately pick a number to sway the figures in the direction of your choosing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭redlead

Assuming both cars depreciate to zero after 10 years and have equal servicing costs.

Buy a 64kWh Kona for €35,000 and do 17,000km per year. the ten year, total cost is €38,289.10. The 1.6TDI, €49,265.10.
    Your getting a car with higher power, and higher torque for less money when you look at TCO.

It's incorrect to say that savings are marginal, the running costs are 1/5 per year of the comparable car.

This sounds like the next progression of the EVs are powered by Coal argument, you now want to include a magical number for depreciation to remove potential savings, so deliberately pick a number to sway the figures in the direction of your choosing.

To be fair he's talking about its value after 3 years if you want to trade in. Obviously if you intend to run a car into the ground the EV is a no brainer. You are both arguing different points.

Depreciation is a function of future value.
    The fact that the TCO is lower should have a positive effect on depreciation.

Even if we do a flat 50% depreciation for the first 3 years, the Kona Electric still wins by a substantial amount.

17,500 + 3 x 328.91 = 18,486.73 vs
    15,000 + 3 x 1926.51 = 20,779.53

Depreciation is a function of future value.
    The fact that the TCO is lower should have a positive effect on depreciation.

Even if we do a flat 50% depreciation for the first 3 years, the Kona Electric still wins by a substantial amount.

17,500 + 3 x 328.91 = 18,486.73 vs
    15,000 + 3 x 1926.51 = 20,779.53

The key point is the figures do not take into consideration that the EV could depreciate quicker than the ICE. This is a real possibility. The 64kwh may be a game changer, be extremely sought after, and thus not depreciate quicker than the ICE. But it is an unknown at this point, hence the savings are in no way guaranteed.

If you run up higher mileage there's a greater chance you will make a saving is the only thing we can really say with confidence.

It will be interesting to see what future guaranteed value Hyundai offer for the EV and ICE models.

• Advertisement

The key point is the figures do not take into consideration that the EV could depreciate quicker than the ICE. This is a real possibility. The 64kwh may be a game changer, be extremely sought after, and thus not depreciate quicker than the ICE. But it is an unknown at this point, hence the savings are in no way guaranteed.

If you run up higher mileage there's a greater chance you will make a saving is the only thing we can really say with confidence.

It will be interesting to see what future guaranteed value Hyundai offer for the EV and ICE models.

So what your saying is that everyone should buy the Electric Kona because the ICE could depreciate at 60% and the Electric at 40%. See what I did there! Making the Electric €8,000 less over three years.

In the absence of data, it's better to treat the depreciation percentage as the same, in which case the annual running cost is €1,600 less per year. . Which has to cover the depreciation gap of depreciation percentage of the price difference. Your just spreading FUD by suggesting anything else, hence my allusion to EVs are powered by coal arguments.

So what your saying is that everyone should buy the Electric Kona because the ICE could depreciate at 60% and the Electric at 40%. See what I did there! Making the Electric €8,000 less over three years.

No I don't believe I said that. As I mentioned previously, the government have aspirations to have 25% of all cars on the road to be electric by 2030. There were only 4000 electric cars on the road at the start of the year (not even close to 1% of all private cars). Over the next three years the probability of ICE cars depreciating quicker because of EVs is pretty much negligible as well over 90% of people will be buying and selling ICE cars.
    In the absence of data, it's better to treat the depreciation percentage as the same

I think a whole field of data scientists would disagree with you on the lack of data, but by all means if you want to believe this to base your argument of guaranteed savings for EV then go for it. Alternatively, one could look at the data for EV's from previous years and take it as a guide for the future.

The reality is no one knows if the current crop of EV's will depreciate at a slower rate. It's a guess, and as a consequences the stated savings are a guess and not a guarantee.

Quick check, a 151 Leaf XE from a dealer is currently listed on Carzone.ie for approx €13,000 they were on sale from Nissan in 2015 €21,450
    Nissan Pulsar 151 XE, now €12,500, then €20,000

That's 40% depreciation on the EV vs 38% depreciation on the ICE. As near enough that it's basically an unnoticeable difference.
    The Tesla Model S was the lowest depreciating vehicle in the UK for 2017.

Quick check, a 151 Leaf XE from a dealer is currently listed on Carzone.ie for approx €13,000 they were on sale from Nissan in 2015 €21,450
    Nissan Pulsar 151 XE, now €12,500, then €20,000

That's 40% depreciation on the EV vs 38% depreciation on the ICE. As near enough that it's basically an unnoticeable difference.
    The Tesla Model S was the lowest depreciating vehicle in the UK for 2017.

To be honest I wouldn't even bother arguing with people anymore...

I tell them the benefits of electric, explain how it works...chargers etc...give a few recommendations and that is it...

Some people will go around and around in circles trying to say petrol/diesel is better. Let them off....

To be honest I wouldn't even bother arguing with people anymore...

I tell them the benefits of electric, explain how it works...chargers etc...give a few recommendations and that is it...

Some people will go around and around in circles trying to say petrol/diesel is better. Let them off....

It means the benefits and incentives will last longer for the rest of us! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,741 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

DrPhilG wrote: »

Leaf is made in the UK. Kona in South Korea. My guess is the UK dealer stock will be on the same ship as the Ireland dealer stock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

unkel wrote: »
    Leaf is made in the UK. Kona in South Korea. My guess is the UK dealer stock will be on the same ship as the Ireland dealer stock.
    Got a reply from Mulholland Hyundai in Derry/Antrim:

"We have not been given a confired date for launch other than it was towards the end of the Summer.

If it Suits we will be more than happy to update you if you require any further information."

So much the same info as Irish dealers have.

Seen a post which linked to Kona Forum in Norway. They have 20,000 people listed as interested in the Kona and are only getting 2,500 to sell in 2018, It is for sale in July

No mention of how many in 2019.

That is from Hyundai Norway

The US are been told it will be Q4 before they get this year...the US expect it to be higher price to the Bolt....no idea what price the Bolt sells at

It seems the World is very interested in the Kona, it might be a huge winner for Hyundai

A lot of people pointing out the good cooling system on the Ioniq and the hope the Kona would be similar if not better.....

Please note this is using a translation tools......which interesting enough changed the document heading from "Hyundai Kona Electric" to "Hyundai Wife Electric"

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Dglflyer

:'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,236 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Seen a post which linked to Kona Forum in Norway. They have 20,000 people listed as interested in the Kona and are only getting 2,500 to sell in 2018, It is for sale in July

No mention of how many in 2019.

That is from Hyundai Norway

The US are been told it will be Q4 before they get this year...the US expect it to be higher price to the Bolt....no idea what price the Bolt sells at

It seems the World is very interested in the Kona, it might be a huge winner for Hyundai

A lot of people pointing out the good cooling system on the Ioniq and the hope the Kona would be similar if not better.....

Please note this is using a translation tools......which interesting enough changed the document heading from "Hyundai Kona Electric" to "Hyundai Wife Electric"

Bolt is $37k base in the US (although purchasers are eligible for a tax rebate up to $7.5k, you need to be earning $50k pa to qualify for the full $7.5k)

Looks like no Kona in 2018 for Ireland, probably not till 192 at that rate.

• Advertisement

They make much higher profits from Petrols so why would they bother ? battery supply issues don't help but they're not really bothered by that as long as the money roles in this is why BMW cancelled all electric cars until 2020/2021 because they can do it and make profit but they won't make as much profit so they are not interested. There's not even going to be a new i3 which will probably be cancelled by 2020. BMW had planned a 3 series EV type car for 2018. Sad really.

ELM327 wrote: »
    Bolt is $37k base in the US (although purchasers are eligible for a tax rebate up to $7.5k, you need to be earning $50k pa to qualify for the full $7.5k)

Looks like no Kona in 2018 for Ireland, probably not till 192 at that rate.

The Kona will be 191 in Ireland.....:D

You will need to order this year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Bif

The Kona will be 191 in Ireland.....:D

You will need to order this year
    will the 64kw version be available?

I suppose 2500 in a half year isnt that bad for a country like Norway... is it?

After all it is a new model so they are trying to split production to every market. 2019 should be significantly better when the initial demand has eased a bit and more battery manufacturing capacity is due to come online as well.

I suppose 2500 in a half year isnt that bad for a country like Norway... is it?

After all it is a new model so they are trying to split production to every market. 2019 should be significantly better when the initial demand has eased a bit and more battery manufacturing capacity is due to come online as well.

If they sell 2,500 in 6 months that would be good....

Interesting the point started because someone was looking to buy a 2018 eGolf. The price has gone up from 275000 in 2015 to 350000 in 2018.....even accounting for the battery change that is still some hell of a mark up.....

Interesting the point started because someone was looking to buy a 2018 eGolf. The price has gone up from 275000 in 2015 to 350000 in 2018.....even accounting for the battery change that is still some hell of a mark up.....

VW have announced they are stopping production of eGolf so they can charge even more extortionate prices now for the remaining production run as they know they will sell regardless.

VW have announced they are stopping production of eGolf so they can charge even more extortionate prices now for the remaining production run as they know they will sell regardless.

Our Norwegian friends are holding out and just going to buy the Kona instead by the looks of it.....

Please note I am not sure if it is VW or the dealers that are changing the eGolf pricing. In the US it has been pointed out a number of times on forum the dealer's are marking up the price and it has nothing to do with VW

That's all they're interested in is profit that's why BMW cancelled their EV release this year until 2020/2021

VW are suffering from the emissions scandal and electrics won't be their priority and they even recently announced more investment in diesels ffs, they'll never learn.

That's all they're interested in is profit that's why BMW cancelled their EV release this year until 2020/2021

VW are suffering from the emissions scandal and electrics won't be their priority and they even recently announced more investment in diesels ffs, they'll never learn.

How many successful companies making cars do you own?

We might be frustrated about the direction the market is going, but the decision to stop releasing new EV is based in figures they have. Research has been done, kit to make EV is there. It will be used when the market changes or regulations require it, time to keep milking ICE...

• Advertisement

How many successful companies making cars do you own?

What's that got to do with anything ? :D
    We might be frustrated about the direction the market is going, but the release of new EV have been stopped. Research has been done, kit is there. They will be used when the market changes or regulations require it.

The market is there for cheap to run cars provided the range is there and charging infrastructure , yes all issues but this is not the likes of BMW's problem, the problem is that they can't make as much profit for each EV sold V petrol/Diesel.

Advertisement