Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sweet and sour sauce

Options
  • 18-01-2018 9:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭

Hi, hoping someone has a nice sweet & sour sauce receipe.
    My 2 + 3 year olds both like a varied diet (not really meat and spud eaters) they love curries, stir fries, spaghetti bol etc and I make these from scratch so I know what goes in them.
    I recently tried them on homemade chicken balls and rice which they loved but just had uncle bens sauce as I have never been able to master a sauce.
    Can anyone recommend a recipe with a similar taste to the standard uncle bens sweet and sour that I could try as would love to be able to do it myself!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

I made a huge batch sweet&sour pork stir fry today, following the recipe from Ching He Huang.
    It's 100ml water with 1 tsp light soy sauce, 2 tsp black rice vinegar, 1 tsp brown sugar and a tsp corn starch (serves 2). The dish is made with pineapple though so you'd get a lot of sweetness from them already and just balance it out with the sauce (that give an amazing gloss to it).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Someone posted this a few years ago and I use it regularly. If I want it spicier I add garlic and chilli.

1 pepper, sliced (optional, if kids won't eat it)
    1 onion, sliced
    Optional - pineapple chunks, bamboo shoots
    Sunflour oil for frying
    Cornflour (about a tablespoon)
    250mls chicken stock
    1 tablespoon tomato puree
    2 tablespoons malt vinegar
    1 tablespoon mango chutney
    2 tablespoons light brown sugar
    1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
    Gently fry the pepper and onion until just soft.
    Mix all the wet ingredients in a jug then add to the pan, along with the bamboo shoots and pineaple chunks if using.
    Simmer for about 10 minutes then blend the cornflour with a little water, and add enough to thicken the sauce.

Advertisement