Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training issue

Options
  • 18-01-2018 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

I'm on my second day of potty training my 2 years and 9-month-old daughter. In November she showed great interest in training and we started but it was too early. This time she was excited on the morning of day one and quickly went by herself twice to the potty. After a few accidents, she asked for a nappy back. Maybe its a big mistake but I said that we are doing no nappies today and she accepted this. After this, she didn't go independently of her own accord to the potty. I would prompt her once an hour and if I thought I could see she was going to have a wee or a poo.

The problem is she doesn't want to sit on the potty when I ask her. I have tried saying we will read books, play with toys. Sometimes it works but mostly not. Today I gave her a chocolate button or offered a tv show if she was reluctant to go on and she sat on no problem. She had a few accidents but not as much. When she did sit on the potty she did do wees. In the afternoon in one magic moment she ran to the loo and did a wee on her own accord.

Should I go back to nappies? Does this sound normal? She didn't ask to go back to them today. I do think that she is physically ready but for some reason, she won't sit on the potty when I prompt her. I have tried stickers but they don't seem to motivate. I feel bad bribing with buttons and tv.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You should give her more than 2 days. My son just went 4 and we can see he needs to go to the toilet before he realises it after doing this for a year. I let him take the lead on when to ditch the nappies. Now I use'em as something he doesn't want when he won't go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

When I trained my daughter she was 2 and 8 months. I definitely wouldn't go back to nappies now. She's old enough to be able to do it. Would u try give her an iPad or tablet while she's on the toilet. I did this and it worked a treat. She forgot herself and went no problem. Also would agree with previous poster in that it'll take longer than 2 days. You'll have to just keep at it. Lots of patience and you'll get there. Best of luck.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Way longer than two days.
    Also maybe you could bypass the potty and go straight to the toilet?That could work too?
    Oh and to add, my own child behaved as if you simply didn't exist when you asked her did she need to go, and I know of a few others that either started screaming or ran away when asked it....and they were fairly well trained at that stage.They don't like being asked a lot to be honest.You kind of have to find crafty ways around it and read the body language.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 climber123

I think I will keep on going, I think I just needed some reassurance! I never knew it was so hard going. Shesty I know what you mean about behaving as you are not existing, I felt invisible at times today, she would just tune out what I was saying. I will try and find a few more ways to motivate. Sammy2012, she does like my tablet so I will try that. I think I was imagining that maybe other toddlers are way more enthusiastic and didn't mind being asked! She tried the toilet on day 1 so will give it a go again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

To be honest climber if it wasn't for my mam id have given up too. She gave me great encouragement to keep going with mine little girl. I'll be trying to train my youngest in the summer. Another thing I did was being my daughter shopping for pants that she could wear. We got paw patrol ones or something that she was into at the time. You could try that too. Get her more involved in the process. I didn't use a potry either. I bought the steps u put on the toilet in smyths. She didn't like the potty.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Not at all, to be honest it took us months.We started younger but god....it took ages.I had settled myself in for the long haul on it but ugh, it was still dire.I decided once she got the idea of the weeing thing, I'd worry about poos a bit later!No magic wand I'm afraid, just used to stick her on the potty in front of the TV a bit....or in the early days, stick her on it every hour or so.....but I did have to change and review my methods as we kept going.I stuck with it because I just felt that within a few weeks she would have a nappy on at bedtime but would remove it the instant she wet it or would suddenly tell me she had to go, and I'd be saying 'but that's ok you have a nappy on' which she didn't like so I got to a point where I nearly would have had to re-teach her how to use the nappy on top of it all!!! But it took a long time.

Advertisement