Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thesis help inventory management

Options
  • 18-01-2018 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

I'm doing a thesis about ERP/MRP systems in Supply chain management and mainly focusing on inventory in SME's

I have the literary review completed and now need to collect data to analyse inventory, ERP/MRP systems.

I'm struggling to understand what data can be collected.

Any pointers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

You post is a little bit vague. Is the dissertation about how an ERP system is used to manage inventory? Also, where do you plan on getting data?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

You post is a little bit vague. Is the dissertation about how an ERP system is used to manage inventory? Also, where do you plan on getting data?

I understand what your saying.

I have access to a small SME engineering company who are up grading there ERP system. They have never linked inventory to this system and as part of my dissertation I have to do this.

At the moment material is ordered for each individual job as orders come in. I have to use historical data to forecast annual inventory.

My supervisor said I need data to analysis and I'm struggling to know what type of data. He told me go way and have a think about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobottherobot

Ah okay with you now... so I reckon you're sort of looking to show the impact the upgrade of the ERP system has had on the inventory levels (if any) and on how its managed etc.

Just thinking out loud:

- Inventory value - finished goods, raw materials / components before and after
    - Any notable changes: Aged inventory, obsolete inventory, stock turns
    - You could explain the current process and explain how it could be managed / make recommendations

Its a bit difficult without knowing the system and I reckon a lot of this will be hard to do if the upgrade is only underway... you may need to do some 'creative writing'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭Hedgecutter

Ah okay with you now... so I reckon you're sort of looking to show the impact the upgrade of the ERP system has had on the inventory levels (if any) and on how its managed etc.

Just thinking out loud:

- Inventory value - finished goods, raw materials / components before and after
    - Any notable changes: Aged inventory, obsolete inventory, stock turns
    - You could explain the current process and explain how it could be managed / make recommendations

Its a bit difficult without knowing the system and I reckon a lot of this will be hard to do if the upgrade is only underway... you may need to do some 'creative writing'.

Ya I know what your saying, I have the historical data, I know what's forecast for the coming year.

One lecture told me to hand out survey, but my supervisor wants data.

The system at the moment is, once a order is sent in be a customer the material for the order is ordered.
    Can I look at lead times, delays in manufacturing etc.

Problem I'll have is the data might not be reliable.

Wing and a prayer SME, if you know what I mean !!

Advertisement