Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I pick a language for leaving cert?

Options
  • 18-01-2018 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I’m just about to pick my subjects for leaving cert and I’m not sure whether to pick a language. I’m doing German but I don’t rlly like it but will getting into college be harder if I don’t pick a language?
    If I pick it I will be doing ordinary level.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It will restrict your choices. What course do you think you want to do?
    It's quite unusual for a school to offer the option of not doing a European language.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chest546

spurious wrote: »
    It will restrict your choices. What course do you think you want to do?
    It's quite unusual for a school to offer the option of not doing a European language.

I would really like to go on and become a pilot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The Aer Lingus cadet criteria don't mention a foreign language, but it's a very hard course to be selected for.
    https://www.aerlingus.com/careers/careers-in-the-air/cadet-pilot-programme/#/tab-2-essential-criteria

Of course there are other ways to train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Becoming a pilot is not a feasible career for most. You'd need a lot of free time, dedication and a silly amount of money. By all means, pursue that if you wish, but I wouldn't be basing my choices for leaving cert subjects on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is it just me that's thinking that for a pilot of all people, a reasonable level of competency in a second language might actually be a useful thing to have? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Celtron

If you have an idea of what you want to do and have a few back up choices then check the requirements and if they don't require a language then don't bother. I myself am doing french and like it, aiming for h1/h2 in the leaving, having said this my parents wanted me to do french because it was only language offered in the school and they thought it was compulsory for any university course, none of my courses for uni require a language, if I knew this then I would have picked an easier subject like accounting or something, but it is still good to learn a language

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’ve just been on a parents chat group who are all saying they didn’t realise how much their children would be restricted (in university choices) by not having a language. Try to keep up a language if you can, it will keep a lot more options open for you for possible university courses if you want to study in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Keep it up. Apart from it meeting the 3rd language the exam itself is split between oral/aural/written this can be an advantage. U also only need an O6 to meet min requirements

• Registered Users Posts: 36 mallen

It will considerably restrict your choices for NUI university courses. Do a 3rd language if you possibly can and keep your options more open, after the leaving cert and later on in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,562 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

mallen wrote: »
    It will considerably restrict your choices for NUI university courses. Do a 3rd language if you possibly can and keep your options more open, after the leaving cert and later on in life.

I think the second language requirement has been removed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 mallen

There has been debate around the removal of the third language requirement but currently it is still a requirement for most Arts/Social Science course in the NUI colleges. The current requirements are here: http://www.nui.ie/college/docs/matricRegs/matricRegs_2017_2018_ENG.pdf

Advertisement